New MG Saga DVD Intro + Translation

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Marc
General

New MG Saga DVD Intro + Translation

Post by Marc »

As was announced on the 20th anniversary website, there's going to be a new Saga DVD included in the upcoming boxset. If you go to the website (http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/mg20th/index.html) and look under Metal Gear Saga on the far left, you can watch the intro of it that was uploaded today. Judging from its content, it appears to be narrated by an all-new, yet-to-be-revealed character. Furthermore, I don't recognize his voice from any of the previous games. Here's a translation:

I came across him in a town in the Middle East.

However prosperous it once had been, the town was now engulfed in war.

It was a pointless conflict between PMC mercenaries and local militia fighters.

War had since become a commodity in a marketplace governed by immense capital.

Amid this stood a man who fought alone and for himself.

An aged warhorse.

Solid Snake.

Formerly known as a hero who saved the world, he was now labeled a criminal who'd brought it to ruin.

Though tired of battle, he returned to the fight.

His aim was to put an end to his cursed blood.

To him, this was his atonement.

Solid Snake, senescent soldier.

What secrets lie in that blood?
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Awesome writing, I sure as hell hope the translators/localisation team don't fuck it up this time!
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Yeah let's hope that dosn't happen.
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

I was just going to ask you if you could translate it, Osiris... :lol:
Great job and thanks a lot, once more. :D
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

Wow! Very impressive trailer.
hmm.. i just wonder is that song used before, i don't think so... could it be from MGS4 soundtrack? :?
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Most likely will be. Yeah, good music from the composing team, again.
Zugzwang

Post by Zugzwang »

That's some mighty-fine writing. Thing that really sucks though: MGS2 and MGS3's writing were most likely this über as well, but was fucked over in the localization.

Here's hoping someone does a much better job. Is Jeremy Blaustein coming back to do the localization? If not, then at least I hope they have somebody who at least likes the series. lol.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Zugzwang wrote:That's some mighty-fine writing. Thing that really sucks though: MGS2 and MGS3's writing were most likely this über as well, but was fucked over in the localization.

Here's hoping someone does a much better job. Is Jeremy Blaustein coming back to do the localization? If not, then at least I hope they have somebody who at least likes the series. lol.
Thanks. Unfortunately, Jeremy isn't doing MGS4. I believe the translation is completely done, though they're still recording the voices.

It's a shame when you consider his work on MGS1 helped launch the series overseas. Can you imagine it being as successful had the writing and voice work sucked? He probably won't be invited to the 20th anniversary party either. Another thing to remember is MGS1 was, as far as I know, the first game of its size where the entire script was voiced. Other games had voice acting in them, but it was usually just part of the script. On top of that, it was a huge script as well.
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

So this has been out for some time now. What's on it? And who was the mystery speaker? Drebin?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Missing wrote:So this has been out for some time now. What's on it? And who was the mystery speaker? Drebin?
I could probably tell you if I watched the new trailers... I have the entire thing translated, I'm just waiting on someone to edit in the English subtitles. No idea on an ETA, unfortunately.

It's basically a summary of the MGS timeline, narrated by this mystery guy. But he mentions that the military has since made Big Boss's existence public, as well as disclosing what he did to save the world from nuclear war during MGS3 (though how much they disclose is unclear -- no mention of The Boss in it). He clearly doesn't have all the info, however, as he thinks Liquid is completely dead and the US Navy dispatched Marines to the tanker in MGS2 only as a response to the hijackers led by Snake, among other inaccuracies.

It's pretty interesting stuff. Hopefully we'll have it up soon.
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

It always seems as though Metal Gear's premise is something like I could have written in 4th grade, then expands with so much character maturity and developments that it becomes this wonderful complex net of a deep and mature story.

It feels like the original Metal Gear started with a simple "Echo Charlie Foxtrot bad-ass military McMan" but then it feels like as Kojima got older, the story matured as well into something that we all enjoy now (and is the reason I have a $500 paperweight under my TV :???:).
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Missing wrote:who was the mystery speaker? Drebin?
Masane Tsukayama is the one who voices the MG Saga narrator. Drebin is played by Keiji Fujiwara. So I guess they're two separate characters.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

You may know that Fujiwara also plays Sigint in MGS3. Has Konami denied a connection?
I seriously doubt that it is Sigint, merely because Kojima is known for using the same voice actors in his other projects. It's probably either a new character, or a returning character that has never been voiced before, like the guys from MG1 and 2 (like Kasler; the one who let the world know how "legendary" a soldier Solid Snake is. Just a guess).