Does anyone actually like Snake's Revenge?

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
The Prince II
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (kinda)
Metal Gear (kinda)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Post by The Prince II »

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
The Prince II wrote:
I don't think Snake's Revenge got retconned per se, but rather that since it never came out in Japan, Kojima had no point of mentioning it in his sequels.
It didn't get retconned? It was never canon
Yep. That's what I said.
Oh. What I got from it was that you were saying it is canon, but has just never ever ever ever been mentioned since.
HIT ME WITH YOUR RYTHM STICK! HIT ME! HIT ME!
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

The Prince II wrote:
Johnny Undaunted wrote:
The Prince II wrote:
I don't think Snake's Revenge got retconned per se, but rather that since it never came out in Japan, Kojima had no point of mentioning it in his sequels.
It didn't get retconned? It was never canon
Yep. That's what I said.
Oh. What I got from it was that you were saying it is canon, but has just never ever ever ever been mentioned since.
My point there is that Konami (and most video game players) never really cared much about canon back then as they do now.

If the game didn't have "Solid Snake", "Big Boss" and "Metal Gear" mentioned in the story, I don't think anyone would've noticed this game.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

^ That's what I was thinking. The game came out in 1990, people didn't give a shit about that kind of stuff back then. It's only lately that people would consider that fucking heresy.
Space Cowboy

Post by Space Cowboy »

Well, think about it..

Video games weren't nearly as in-depth as they are now simply because they couldn't be. How can you make an extremely in-depth storyline with an 8-bit system? The original Metal Gear really wasn't deep, Snake barely had any dialog. It wasn't until MG2: Solid Snake that the official Metal Gear story became the deep series we know today.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

I think text-based adventures were deeper than video games today. This might just be cultural climate-change.
Space Cowboy

Post by Space Cowboy »

shidoni wrote:I think text-based adventures were deeper than video games today. This might just be cultural climate-change.
Text-based games like Snatcher WERE a lot deeper than a lot of games today. Nobody cares about making a masterpiece anymore.. they just wanna make mediocre games that hopefully sell well, so they can get money.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Space Cowboy wrote:
shidoni wrote:I think text-based adventures were deeper than video games today. This might just be cultural climate-change.
Text-based games like Snatcher WERE a lot deeper than a lot of games today. Nobody cares about making a masterpiece anymore.. they just wanna make mediocre games that hopefully sell well, so they can get money.
I was actually referring to the completely text games from the 70s and 80s, like A Mind Forever Voyaging... And it's not quite that simple... Companies are going where the money is because anywhere else would be suicide, save for the smaller, unassuming, self-sustained efforts.
Last edited by shidoni on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Space Cowboy

Post by Space Cowboy »

The game industry these days isn't what it was back than as far as games is concerned. They keep playing on old titles. Anything that has made it's debut recently basically sucks. Or it's a movie-turned-game, or an old game refurbished. Nobody is original anymore, or so it seems.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Now you're getting a little cynical lol... You have to admit, not everything sucks. We do have some classics cropping up around here, especially inspired by the kind of technology available today (I'm thinking of Nintendo's integration of the sense of touch specifically, which is insane). It's only in retrospect that we'll be fond :lol: Nobody remembers the sea of crap in the past. Well, maybe they do... but they're not wading in it, so it's just not that big of a deal anymore. There's a little bit of human nature.
Space Cowboy

Post by Space Cowboy »

shidoni wrote:Now you're getting a little cynical lol... You have to admit, not everything sucks. We do have some classics cropping up around here, especially inspired by the kind of technology available today (I'm thinking of Nintendo's integration of the sense of touch specifically, which is insane). It's only in retrospect that we'll be fond :lol: Nobody remembers the sea of crap in the past. Well, maybe they do... but they're not wading in it, so it's just not that big of a deal anymore. There's a little bit of human nature.
Maybe you're right. I have to agree with you on the topic of the Nintendo Wii, though. That's a unique idea. But I'm referring to games. It's most likely due to the fact that I don't play games much anymore but I just haven't seen anything that interests me, personally. Whereas back in the old days I always found something to play. The games that interest me at this point in my life are: MGS4/Online, Smash Brothers, and Indiana Jones. With maybe a few others I can't really think of. Nothing brand new has really caught my attention, to be honest. Feel free to fill me in on any new games that you'd recommend.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

^I'd advise you try out some point and click adventure games for the PC, like Beneath A Steel Sky, The Dig, Grim Fandango, Blade Runner etc, if you're bored of gaming. PC games have some really great titles, if you haven't checked out their library. Sierra and LucasArt point and click games are some of the more unique ones.

As for brand new titles, well, Half Life 2? Mass Effect? Bioshock? Ace Attorney series?

Depends what you're after, really, and what system(s) you have.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

The original versions of Snatcher for PC-88/MSX2/PC-Engine and Metal Gear 2 for MSX2 are the only non-JRPG games from the late 1980s/early 90s era that I know of to have a large chunk of their manual dedicated to revealing their game's elaborate backstory and setting. Even if Kojima's plots are hardly the most original, you have to admire his dedicated attention to such details.

Does it matter knowing that the toilets in Zanzibar Land were made by a company named "GAINAX"? Or what kind activity the citizens of Neo Kobe City enjoy? Nope, but it makes the game more enjoyable knowing in-universe trivia like that.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Space Cowboy wrote:
shidoni wrote:Now you're getting a little cynical lol... You have to admit, not everything sucks. We do have some classics cropping up around here, especially inspired by the kind of technology available today (I'm thinking of Nintendo's integration of the sense of touch specifically, which is insane). It's only in retrospect that we'll be fond :lol: Nobody remembers the sea of crap in the past. Well, maybe they do... but they're not wading in it, so it's just not that big of a deal anymore. There's a little bit of human nature.
Maybe you're right. I have to agree with you on the topic of the Nintendo Wii, though. That's a unique idea. But I'm referring to games. It's most likely due to the fact that I don't play games much anymore but I just haven't seen anything that interests me, personally. Whereas back in the old days I always found something to play. The games that interest me at this point in my life are: MGS4/Online, Smash Brothers, and Indiana Jones. With maybe a few others I can't really think of. Nothing brand new has really caught my attention, to be honest. Feel free to fill me in on any new games that you'd recommend.
I agree with Henry Spencer, it depends on what you're looking for. But if it's the same thing I've been craving, I haven't found it yet. That kind of serving is up to this generation.
Tell me you've played Silent Hill 1 & 2 to death, though. SH2 was the last game I was hopelessly addicted to.
Space Cowboy

Post by Space Cowboy »

shidoni wrote:
Space Cowboy wrote:
I agree with Henry Spencer, it depends on what you're looking for. But if it's the same thing I've been craving, I haven't found it yet. That kind of serving is up to this generation.
Tell me you've played Silent Hill 1 & 2 to death, though. SH2 was the last game I was hopelessly addicted to.
Never was a big Silent Fill fan. I played some of Part 1 years ago. I did enjoy Silent Hill 4: The Room though. I beat that. It was freaky as hell.
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

Space Cowboy wrote: I did enjoy Hill 4: The Room though. I beat that. It was freaky as hell.
hahah... that's the only SH game which i didn't like. :grin: I played it like 3-4 hours but i got bored to it. The gameplay sucked and it just didn't feel like Silent Hill. I'm big fan of the series and have completed SH2 and SH3 countless times, so SH4 was big disappointment to me... i hope that SH5 is going to be great again and not like SH4. :sad:
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Space Cowboy wrote: Never was a big Silent Fill fan. I played some of Part 1 years ago. I did enjoy Silent Hill 4: The Room though. I beat that. It was freaky as hell.
Silent Hill 4 sucked. Play 1 & 2, then 3 if you turn into a hard-core. You'll know what we mean.