GameTrailer's Metal Gear retrospective

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
snatcher1988
Runner

GameTrailer's Metal Gear retrospective

Post by snatcher1988 »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33740.html

In honor of Metal Gear Solid 3 for the PS3, here is the first part of Gametrailer's Metal Gear retrospective. I'll post part 2 in this thread when it comes.

I personally thought this part was really well done. My only gripe is that they forgot to mention the changes that the original MSX MG underwent, when it was ported over to mobile cell phones (even though they covered that in MG2: SS), and also, they forgot to mention that Hideo Kojima was a fan of Snake's Revenge, and that it was much closer to his original vision of MG, than the NES/Famicom version of MG1 ever was.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Re: GameTrailer's Metal Gear retrospective

Post by Artemio »

I just watched it as well, thought it was really well done too.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I liked it. It was nice of them to look at all four of the pre-Solid games, when most would only look at two of them (quite often, just NES MG and Snake's Revenge, which is a real shame). I thought MG2's plot was skipped through a little... indelicately, but I suppose they don't want to bore people who haven't played it.

snatcher1988- I don't think Kojima likes Snake's Revenge, and I don't think he considers it to be similar to his idea of MetalGear, either. I think he prefers it to the NES version of MetalGear, but he still thinks it's a bit of a joke. I seem to remember that Ryan Payton mentioned that the game's a bit of a taboo subject within Kojima Productions.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

The changes to the Mobile Phone/PS2 version of Metal Gear are very minor compared to changes in the Metal Gear 2 re-releases that I don't think they're really worth pointing out.

To be honest, the only time I've seen Kojima mentioning liking Snake's Revenge was in the GamersToday interview with Steven Kent. I think he also mentioned that he disliked the game (calling it a "kusoge") in a Famitsu article in 2006.

I still think Snake's Revenge is a good game though.

EDIT: Gah! Ultra Games DID NOT "create" Snake's Revenge. They merely published it. You think people would know better by now. Otherwise, it was a pretty interesting perspective and a lot more informative that we usually see.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Johnny Undaunted wrote:To be honest, the only time I've seen Kojima mentioning liking Snake's Revenge was in the GamersToday interview with Steven Kent. I think he also mentioned that he disliked the game (calling it a "kusoge") in a Famitsu article in 2006.
Didn't he also claim he liked it in Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 ?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Spike wrote:
Johnny Undaunted wrote:To be honest, the only time I've seen Kojima mentioning liking Snake's Revenge was in the GamersToday interview with Steven Kent. I think he also mentioned that he disliked the game (calling it a "kusoge") in a Famitsu article in 2006.
Didn't he also claim he liked it in Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 ?
He doesn't mention his opinion about Snake's Revenge in MG Saga Vol. 1.

He was probably referring to the game's unpopularity among American fans rather than his personal dislike towards the game. I can't find the Famitsu article where he mentions Snake's Revenge either way.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34187.html

Here's part 2.

Here, they talk about MGS, it's expansion pack, MGS Integral (and its U.S./Europe version, VR Missions), and its Gamecube remake, The Twin Snakes.

For some reason, they left out the Digital Comic version that came out for the PSP a few years back.

Also, they mentioned Policenauts, but only its appearances on the PC98 and 3DO.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

I wished they would've covered Ghost Babel before Twin Snakes. I'm guessing they're planning on covering the "Shinta Nojiri trilogy" in one segment.

The artwork of Sneaking Suit Meryl and Sergei Ivanovich from the Drama CD is a bit misleading IMO since they were not drawn for the original game but for a spinoff product. Also, I want to nitpick to addressing Meryl as "Roy Campbell's daughter", when it isn't supposed to be a commonly known fact, at least not in the beginning. Even if she is his daughter biologically, she would still be her niece legally speaking. And technically speaking, MGS1 was Kojima's second PSone project (he did oversee the PSone version of Policenauts after all).

I never noticed the similarity in the room layout where you fight Black Color in MG2 and in one with the Cyborg Ninja in MGS until I saw this video (even though I always new Black Color inspired the Cyborg Ninja). Nice!
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

Here's Part 3: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34425.html

Not much to say here, other than the fact that MGS2, and its expansion packs, are highlighted here.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34700.html

Part 4. MGS3, it's expansion pack, and Portable Ops for the PSP are highlighted here. Also in this video are clips of MGS3, that I didn't know about.

BTW, be sure to check out the series' ventures into the portable world in the next chapter.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35020.html

Part 5. Here, they talk about Ghost Babel for the Gameboy Color, the two AC!D games for the PSP, as well as elaborating on Portable Ops a bit more, and talking about its expansion pack, Portable Ops Plus. The final chapter of this 6-part retrospective, should arrive the day after tomorrow

BTW, sorry to change the subject for now, Mr. Undaunted, but thanks for translating the name of that obscure Japanese mobile game that Kojima worked on called "Twelve Tender Killers", on his wkipedia profile. As much as I like his official site on konami.jp, I don't like how they don't mention some of his other obscure works; basically Penguin Adventure, those three Tokimeki Memorial drama games for the PS1 and Saturn, and his work on Solid Snake's stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

snatcher1988 wrote:BTW, sorry to change the subject for now, Mr. Undaunted, but thanks for translating the name of that obscure Japanese mobile game that Kojima worked on called "Twelve Tender Killers", on his wkipedia profile. As much as I like his official site on konami.jp, I don't like how they don't mention some of his other obscure works; basically Penguin Adventure, those three Tokimeki Memorial drama games for the PS1 and Saturn, and his work on Solid Snake's stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Kojima didn't really work much on those games apart from a few minor contributions. His role in Penguin Adventure was that of an assistant, while the Tokimemo Drama games were simply developed on the Policenauts engine.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35094.html

At long last, here it is. The 6th and final part. Here, they do a chronological timeline of the various events of the MG series. However, it was actually Liquid that had the recessive genes, while Solid had the dominant ones.

BTW, what would you have liked to see them cover in this retrospective that they didn't cover? I personally would have liked to see them cover Metal Gear AC!D Mobile, especially considering the fact that so far, for reasons unknown, it has been released only in Europe.

Other than that, and a few minor mistakes, this was a great retrospective, the best one GT has ever done.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

snatcher1988 wrote:However, it was actually Liquid that had the recessive genes, while Solid had the dominant ones.
There are a few mistakes in that timeline, but that isn't one of them. If you got the Meryl ending in MGS1, Ocelot states that Liquid was the superior one in the coda.