Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Re: Current Project Status (English Screenshots & Trailers)

Post by Synthoid »

Indeed. You still need to get round to watching Blade Runner, mate. As a Snatcher fan, you owe it to yourself. It's fun to spot the many similarities and references between the two.

As ever fellas, you're doing a sterling job with the translation project. Konami wouldn't even dream of working on an English translation, and it's great that you're doing this for the English speaking fans out there. With any luck it'll spark more interest in the game, might even attract Kojima's attention - which I hope it does.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Synthoid wrote:As ever fellas, you're doing a sterling job with the translation project. Konami wouldn't even dream of working on an English translation, and it's great that you're doing this for the English speaking fans out there. With any luck it'll spark more interest in the game, might even attract Kojima's attention - which I hope it does.
Well, again, thank you, but please remember: It's one guy working on the programming aspect - we put out a notice for help but got no replies - and his life can't revolve around it. So it's going to take as long as it takes, I'm afraid.
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

Good things come to those who wait.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Synthoid wrote:Good things come to those who wait.
Yeah, that wasn't directed at you, but at those people who keep asking us about it.
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

Marc wrote:
Synthoid wrote:As ever fellas, you're doing a sterling job with the translation project. Konami wouldn't even dream of working on an English translation, and it's great that you're doing this for the English speaking fans out there. With any luck it'll spark more interest in the game, might even attract Kojima's attention - which I hope it does.
Well, again, thank you, but please remember: It's one guy working on the programming aspect - we put out a notice for help but got no replies - and his life can't revolve around it. So it's going to take as long as it takes, I'm afraid.
Somethings been bugging me...

Does this guy post here? Or is it just some programmer one of you happened to know?

Is he aware of this whole community and how antsy it is?
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Good Question

I've wondered that myself.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

X_Lupin wrote:Does this guy post here? Or is it just some programmer one of you happened to know?

The programmer does not post here, he chooses not to participate. I am certain, though, that he knows how badly we want the patch finished.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

8bitsonic wrote:
X_Lupin wrote:Does this guy post here? Or is it just some programmer one of you happened to know?

The programmer does not post here, he chooses not to participate. I am certain, though, that he knows how badly we want the patch finished.
Well, he'd probably get annoyed at how much we all want it finished, and that wouldn't do any of us good, so it's probably for the best.
Jackafur

Post by Jackafur »

X_Lupin wrote:
Jackafur wrote:
X_Lupin wrote:I love you guys.

Why wont you let me give you money?
I think one of them need a kiddy pool or somthing of the sorts... why not buy them a kiddie pool!
Got the kiddie pool. I hope you meant an inflatable one. Where do I send it?
Silver112 wrote:Well im african,american and i love that picture =P~

i also have it on my xbox360 dashboard... :cool:

anyway can any one estimate how long the translation patch will be released? #-o

BTW thanks for mentioning bladerunner gonna pick it up at blockbuster today :grin:
:grin: :smile: :cool: :sad: :!: :idea: :arrow: :grin: :smile: :cool: :grin: :mad: :grin:

lol did you really buy one of the guys a kiddy pool? I dunno who wanted one.. but I remember reading a FAQ about how they wouldnt execpt money but one them wanted a kiddy pool heh.. atleast thats what I remember.

Also figured I'd throw in my 2 cents about bladerunner. If you're really into snatcher and need a fix I suggest you read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". As a lot of you know its bladerunner is based off the book. Its really good and I actually like it alot better than bladerunner.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

X_Lupin wrote:
Marc wrote:
Somethings been bugging me...

Does this guy post here? Or is it just some programmer one of you happened to know?

No, he isn't a poster here. He contacted us through email. He knows people are eager to play it, of course, but the work is what it is.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

This project has gone on for a fairly long time, and these forums have been open for a while as well. How many people in the history of this forum have ever been banned?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

JimboKudo wrote:This project has gone on for a fairly long time, and these forums have been open for a while as well. How many people in the history of this forum have ever been banned?
There was one ban, but it was requested by the member himself. And it ended up being a de-activation.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Artemio wrote:
JimboKudo wrote:This project has gone on for a fairly long time, and these forums have been open for a while as well. How many people in the history of this forum have ever been banned?
There was one ban, but it was requested by the member himself. And it ended up being a de-activation.
So you had someone who hated himself so much... he wanted HIMSELF banned and then having his account zapped?
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

8bitsonic wrote:
Artemio wrote:
So you had someone who hated himself so much... he wanted HIMSELF banned and then having his account zapped?
Yes, that does sound like quite a strange person. Couldn't he have just stopped coming here? I guess he really wanted to pay the hurt to himself?
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I believe the programmer wanted to remain anonymous. As for the account de-activation, I think I was around for that. He simply wanted to change his name and needed the old account deactivated. However, I could be thinking of a completely different forum. (I used to moderate a few in my day, as well, and with my work the way it is, I wouldn't be surprised if I jumbled several together.) :razz:
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:I'm not sure if this is correct, but I believe the programmer wanted to remain anonymous. As for the account de-activation, I think I was around for that. He simply wanted to change his name and needed the old account deactivated. However, I could be thinking of a completely different forum. (I used to moderate a few in my day, as well, and with my work the way it is, I wouldn't be surprised if I jumbled several together.) :razz:
I would like to point out that I have used the text in your signature on countless people when introducing them to SNATCHER.
Marc wrote:
No, he isn't a poster here. He contacted us through email. He knows people are eager to play it, of course, but the work is what it is.
Also, so this guy only speaks to you via email? I'm guessing that means he's in very loose contact with the team?
Jackafur wrote: lol did you really buy one of the guys a kiddy pool? I dunno who wanted one.. but I remember reading a FAQ about how they wouldnt execpt money but one them wanted a kiddy pool heh.. atleast thats what I remember.
Lol, If one of the guys needs a kiddie pool, I can get it to him.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Hahaha, I just threw that line together, along with the silly pic under it. I didn't expect it to catch on. It does speak the truth, I suppose. :grin:

Also, since people keep discussing it, here is a direct link to the kiddy pool line:

http://policenauts.net/english/notes-FAQ.html

Speaking of the website, are there any plans on updating anything there? It's a shame you guys have such a talented webmaster there; Otherwise, I would have put my rusty Flash and HTML skills to use. I'm out of good causes to lend my skills to these days. :cry:
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
Saikyo78
Favorite Game: Chrono Trigger
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, Snatcher, Policenauts
PSN: Saikyo78
Wii Friend Code: 4484492002504192
Xbox Live: Saikyo78

Post by Saikyo78 »

Hello, all - - I've been a long time lurker on this thread, before posting I want to say thank you so much for doing this and sticking with it. The fact that you've been working this hard for so long is amazing; my hat's off to you.

I was wondering something about the release of the Policenauts on the PSN store. I don't know if it's been discussed, and the main thing I'm worried about is that this is something that involves doing illegal stuff to your PS3, but would applying the patch to the PS3 downloadable game be an option as well? I really don't know enough about the process, so I could be way off. I'm curious though, does anyone know if it's a possibility?

Thanks, and keep up the great work.
Gillian_Seed
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, Snatcher, Policenauts, Boktai, Boktai 2, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, (also Metal Gear Acid)

Post by Gillian_Seed »

Ahhh, I wish I knew anything about programming.

I've been lurking around this site and forum for a long time now waiting for something to happen.

I really want to help this thing be finished.

Maybe I'll pick up a "Programming for Dummies" book or something.

I know there has to be at least one other programmer out there who likes Policenauts and would be willing to help with the project.
:shock:

* I want to make it clear that I'm not complaining about the work that the people/person working on it now is doing, I'm very happy and grateful that someone is working on it.
Like a lot of other people here, I'm just getting very antsy.
I'd offer my help, but again, I'm no programmer. >_<
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Well, the problem is, I think, that some of us can program, but nobody here seems to be too familiar with the assembly code for the PS1. That's seems to be the big problems. The other thing is that the programmer has been working on this for a while, and it would be a bit difficult to catch up to him probably.
Gillian_Seed
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, Snatcher, Policenauts, Boktai, Boktai 2, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, (also Metal Gear Acid)

Post by Gillian_Seed »

Ah, I see.

I think it's frustrating for me, to not know exactly what has to be done to finish the patch.
Because I don't understand what programming work must be done, I can't comprehend why it's taking this long, and I want to help, but I can't..

I know it's best just to wait and let the work be done, but it's still nice to talk about it sometimes.
It keeps the thought of the project alive.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Gillian_Seed wrote:Ah, I see.

I think it's frustrating for me, to not know exactly what has to be done to finish the patch.
Because I don't understand what programming work must be done, I can't comprehend why it's taking this long, and I want to help, but I can't..

I know it's best just to wait and let the work be done, but it's still nice to talk about it sometimes.
It keeps the thought of the project alive.
I know exactly what you mean by not knowing what exactly needs to be done. I know very basic stuff about the assembly code and what's required, but it's still a bit harder to understand what, exactly, needs to be done to finish the patch. The trick is, I think, be patient, and, if you really wanna help, then start learning to program. If you ever get interested, then by all means pm or something, because I could certainly point you in the right direction. And by the way, it IS always nice to talk about the project. We all know it will take a while, but it's a community looking forward to the finish of an amazing project. I don't have MGS4 to talk to everybody about, but I still await this patch patiently, understanding, with my knowledge of programming, that it isn't just a simple task. And I'm sure you probably understand that too.
Jonesy47
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (MSX & PS2)
Metal Gear 2 - Solid Snake (MSX & PS2)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX & Twin Snakes for Gamecube)
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4
Snatcher (Sega CD & PC-Engine CD)
Policenauts (Sega Saturn & PSX)
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders 2
PSN: tyler's prophecy
Xbox Live: evansucks5000

Post by Jonesy47 »

"Well, again, thank you, but please remember: It's one guy working on the programming aspect - we put out a notice for help but got no replies - and his life can't revolve around it. So it's going to take as long as it takes, I'm afraid." - Marc

I've been watching this project for the better of about a year and a half (maybe two years at this point?) and well, if the above post is true, you guys should check out Rom Hacking.Net.
( http://www.romhacking.net/ )
Seriously, they have forums FULL of people I'm sure would LOVE to help hack this game into working order.

One name to ask for help: Gemini
He single handedly hacked Tales of Phantasia for psx (some of the hardest compression techniques on the console in that there game...) into accepting English text in the matter of about a month or two (a process that another hacker on the web has been attempting for the past 8 or 9 YEARS...guy almost seemed to give up on life when he saw how easy Gemini hacked it).

AND, this is just one man over at romhacking.net. There are many. I can almost guarantee that if you posted THIS PROJECT up over on that site, you'll receive more help than you've been getting.
Jonesy47
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (MSX & PS2)
Metal Gear 2 - Solid Snake (MSX & PS2)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX & Twin Snakes for Gamecube)
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4
Snatcher (Sega CD & PC-Engine CD)
Policenauts (Sega Saturn & PSX)
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders 2
PSN: tyler's prophecy
Xbox Live: evansucks5000

Post by Jonesy47 »

Update: Gemini
Satus: Not interested

oh well... :sad:
mackie
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders:The Second Runner

Post by mackie »

i think the reason he isnt interested is because he is working on the persona 2 innocent sin translation and he is up to 85% on that