Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Gillian_Seed
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, Snatcher, Policenauts, Boktai, Boktai 2, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, (also Metal Gear Acid)

Re: Current Project Status (Updated September 3rd)

Post by Gillian_Seed »

8bitsonic wrote:
Gillian_Seed wrote:Playing all those great PSX and PS2 games that never made it to the states would be a great way to pass the time until some more decent PS3 games start coming out.
You bought a PS3? Poor man. :cry:
Haha, yeah well.. I got it just for MGS4, and I played that and beat it.
So it's served it's purpose.
I just couldn't wait to play MGS4..

It also makes a great heater, and I was getting tired of having cheap power bills anyway. :/

Haha, but I will be happy by next year when more (hopefully) great games come out for it. (i.e. - Silent Hill 5 and Resident Evil 5, and hopefully new Kojima?)

I'm not sure if it's outselling the 360 or not shidoni.. possibly.
If it is, I would bet you can give credit to KojimaPro for that...
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I leave the forums for a month and a half and look what happens. :x The patch moves forward! :mrgreen: Great job everybody. I almost had a heart attack when I got back on here, and found out that the project is moving again.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

Beyond Coast Spaceport:

I'm doing some bug hunting now, and I think next up, I'm going to try getting all the system menus (i.e. Save/Load/etc.) going. This is different from Marc's previous video, just so you know.
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Post by Jack Stern »

The boxes on the left-down corner, are images or something in particular?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Jack Stern wrote:The boxes on the left-down corner, are images or something in particular?
Do you mean the name of the Character who's talking?
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Those are simply character names. (Like in Snatcher, when a comment is preceded by the person speaking. For example, "Gillian:" when Gillian speaks.) From what I understand, their English counterparts have been completed, but have not been implemented yet.

I have to reiterate, I really love talking about the patch again! I haven't felt this way in, well, a year! If anything, I wish I could gauge where the project was completion-wise. :P
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
Jack Stern
Runner

Post by Jack Stern »

Artemio wrote:
Jack Stern wrote:The boxes on the left-down corner, are images or something in particular?
Do you mean the name of the Character who's talking?
Yeah, those ones. I thought it wasn't a value edittable like the normal text in the game (like the subtitles during FMVs)
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Not exactly - they're actually bitmap images. Apparently, the JHQ team already has that done.

You're not seeing it in my screencaps because right now I'm only focused on the in-game text and the menus, so my hack is working off an otherwise clean version of the game. At some point, I'm going to start incorporating their fixes to make sure nothing breaks, although I don't see any reason why it would. (Famous last words).

The good news is I fixed like four bugs last night!

The bad news is we found like three more!
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

That still technically counts as a step forward. Great work, guys.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I have to say, I am enjoying these progress reports immensely. Slowbeef, we are indeed in your debt!

In my excitement, I took a moment to return to Page 31 and look over the checklist. Take a look everyone - This is where we left off a year ago. :D
Marc wrote:The translation is done.

The text implementation in the cut-scenes is done.

Once [the hurdle's] done, we just have to implement some minor redone graphics (mainly changing "Hojyo" to "Hojo" in various places) and English end credits, beta test it, make any necessary readjustments to the text, then we're good to go.
And now our story continues. Forgive me, but I can't help but ask more.

From what I understand, Slowbeef is only working on his section of the game (text implementation) and does not have access to the rest of the available hacks. To those on the team, is this still an accurate description of where we're at? Were other items, such as the credits and redone graphics, completed or worked on during the wait? How does the checklist look now?

EDIT: Now we're indebted instead of Slowbeef. :P
Last edited by Kojima_Devotee on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
JimboKudo
Major

Re:

Post by JimboKudo »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:I have to say, I am enjoying these progress reports immensely. Slowbeef, you are indeed in our debt!
Lol, I think you mean that WE are in HIS debt.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Re:

Post by slowbeef »

Kojima_Devotee wrote: From what I understand, Slowbeef is only working on his section of the game (text implementation) and does not have access to the rest of the available hacks.
Nah, I'm in the inner sanctum, talking with the old programmer, compiling his code, etc. Basically, the big hurdle was exactly how to do the in-game text without breaking everything and it's looking like my method for it's working so far.

...So far.

I'll try to keep you guys abreast of things til Marc comes back, but I'm bug hunting so there's gonna be "non-appreciable progress," meaning less cool videos as I talk to Lorraine again and again and again* and figure out what doesn't look right, etc. I just did a bug fix today that... actually seems to have possibly cleared out another bug. So we'll see.

Linebreaks and menus look pretty great right now, so I'll keep you posted on new developments, etc.

* If you ever want to despise a video game character, there's no better way than watching her cutscenes in a language you don't speak like a hundred times.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Re: Re:

Post by shidoni »

slowbeef wrote:* If you ever want to despise a video game character, there's no better way than watching her cutscenes in a language you don't speak like a hundred times.
Yeah, but... she...
Spoiler:
Kaplowy!!
RMF
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid / Link's Awakening
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Snatcher
Policenauts
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid Gameboy
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Acid*
Metal Gear Acid 2*
Metal Gear Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4

Post by RMF »

Hi Guys, I've just stumbled onto this translation project you're busy working on. Just want to say that I'm totally excited about it all and really can't wait. I bought the original PSX Policenauts years ago thinking that I'll never get to play it in English. I'm sure it's no fun working on the code but please hang in there... cheers! :D
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

shidoni wrote:
slowbeef wrote:* If you ever want to despise a video game character, there's no better way than watching her cutscenes in a language you don't speak like a hundred times.
Yeah, but... she...
Spoiler:
Kaplowy!!
No, seriously. There is not a hot enough layer of hell for the creators of unskippable spoken dialogue.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

shidoni wrote:
Yeah, but... she...
Spoiler:
Kaplowy!!
Well put. :D
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Funnily enough, someone sent me a Finnish board that discussed the ROM hack videos and apparently someone complained that they didn't want the ROM hack unless it had line breaks.

Fine, Finland.

This is for you.

Spaceplane tech demo - fixed menus and linebreaks.

Just to be clear, this is a tech demo which means - yes, of course - this is how the entire rest of the game will appear. The previous office video is now obselete and linebreaks and everything work there as well. And the best part? NO KNOWN BUGS IN EITHER SECTION.

Now, while we wait for Marc to get back, I'm going to have to work on something kinda boring - in-game System menus like Load/Save/etc. So basically, nothing fun to show off for a bit. If that goes really well (yeah, right), maybe I can help out the guys looking at the voice-over cutscene stuff and we can get that earlier, but we'll see. I'm sure someone will find something that breaks - even though I was pretty rigorous when it came to questioning Lorraine. (And everything worked great.)

We're getting there.
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

Wow, that must have been on my board at Hideo Kojima Finland forums.
Yeah, that's true, one of the members there were complaining on that. Good to hear that things are getting to something.
I hope the patch will be released sooner or later. =)
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

It's looking awesome so far. You can't imagine how excited I am about recent progress - I've waited for so long to play this...

Keep up the good work, slowbeef. You are awesome. There is little more for me to say.
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

slowbeef wrote:Funnily enough, someone sent me a Finnish board that discussed the ROM hack videos and apparently someone complained that they didn't want the ROM hack unless it had line breaks.

Fine, Finland.

This is for you.

Just to be clear, this is a tech demo which means - yes, of course - this is how the entire rest of the game will appear. The previous office video is now obselete and linebreaks and everything work there as well. And the best part? NO KNOWN BUGS IN EITHER SECTION.

Now, while we wait for Marc to get back, I'm going to have to work on something kinda boring - in-game System menus like Load/Save/etc. So basically, nothing fun to show off for a bit. If that goes really well (yeah, right), maybe I can help out the guys looking at the voice-over cutscene stuff and we can get that earlier, but we'll see. I'm sure someone will find something that breaks - even though I was pretty rigorous when it came to questioning Lorraine. (And everything worked great.)

We're getting there.
I don't suppose you could inject an ASM routine to remove the limit on the number of times you can grab the stewardesses boobs? I'm fairly lonely :(
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

James_The_Stampede wrote:
slowbeef wrote:Funnily enough, someone sent me a Finnish board that discussed the ROM hack videos and apparently someone complained that they didn't want the ROM hack unless it had line breaks.

Fine, Finland.

This is for you.

We're getting there.
I don't suppose you could inject an ASM routine to remove the limit on the number of times you can grab the stewardesses boobs? I'm fairly lonely :(
I am in favor of what this man posits.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Who wants more good news?

I decided to make an ASM hack so you can jiggle the stew-

No, sorry. I asked a buddy of mine from the SA forums to take a look at the voiceover cutscene text. He made something that dumps the text for Marc to translate and reinsert it (drum roll please) IN ONE DAY.

Scarboy (that's his name), thank you very, very much.

As you can see, with Marc away, he didn't have anyone to translate for him.

edit: It should go without saying, but this is just a tech demo so of course, Scarboy's very loose translation will not be in the final product.
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

slowbeef wrote:I decided to make an ASM hack so you can jiggle the stew-
Ooh, I love jiggling stew!
slowbeef wrote:No, sorry.
Aw...

As for the video...
Spoiler:
"blah blah blah"... awesome. :P
Jack Stern
Runner

Post by Jack Stern »

slowbeef wrote:Who wants more good news?

I decided to make an ASM hack so you can jiggle the stew-

No, sorry.

About the rest, can't be more happy enough for all the progress. Keep the rhythm, guys :)
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Wow, the progress that has been made lately, in so little time, it's truly incredible. I bet the team are bloody happy right about now.