Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Marc
General

Re: Current Project Status

Post by Marc »

Ace Attorney wrote:edit: Do you have an estimate on when you guys will be finished? by year's end at least?
We're wary about giving a date because it can be an unpredictable road. But as you'll have seen from the recent status updates we're moving toward alpha.
The Prince II
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (kinda)
Metal Gear (kinda)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Post by The Prince II »

Ace Attorney wrote:
Artemio wrote:
Ace Attorney wrote:Wow... we might actually see a release after all...

edit: Do you have an estimate on when you guys will be finished? by year's end at least?
Thanks for the confidence.

And no, we don't have a release date. It is good to see you back, after your incredibly insightful and constructive five posts. Good to see you haven't lost faith during those long months you've been around.

Hay guys! We'll be done the patch in late 2007, that's right!

I didn't know that the date I signed up for the forums indicated how long I've been following this project.
Patience is a virtue.
HIT ME WITH YOUR RYTHM STICK! HIT ME! HIT ME!
Zhukov

Post by Zhukov »

Policenauts on PSX is a 2 CD game right? i admit I don't really understand the dev process, but do you guys finish CD 1 first then go onto CD 2??? or do you develop both simultaneously?

Amazing work btw :mrgreen: and big thanks to Solide for making those great banners!

cheers,
Zhuk
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

Zhukov wrote:Policenauts on PSX is a 2 CD game right? i admit I don't really understand the dev process, but do you guys finish CD 1 first then go onto CD 2??? or do you develop both simultaneously?
It's 2 CDs and I think our plan is to do the alpha on Disc 1 and fix bugs there. Depends, really, on how the first alpha iteration goes.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Great news on the progress. We're with ya! Hopefully once it's done this will remind a lot of savvy gamers that there's a lot more to Kojima than nanomachines.
BIG BOSS
Zhukov

Post by Zhukov »

Thanks for the answer Slowbeef! very interesting (and exciting!)
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

slowbeef wrote:
Zhukov wrote:Policenauts on PSX is a 2 CD game right? i admit I don't really understand the dev process, but do you guys finish CD 1 first then go onto CD 2??? or do you develop both simultaneously?
It's 2 CDs and I think our plan is to do the alpha on Disc 1 and fix bugs there. Depends, really, on how the first alpha iteration goes.
I asked that question ages ago and got a very different answer from Artemio... :lol:
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

8bitsonic wrote:
slowbeef wrote:
I asked that question ages ago and got a very different answer from Artemio... :lol:
Well that's propably because it was ages ago. ;D
But what did he say back then?
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I probably replied that it didn't work that way, that it wasn't a linear process. He was probably interested in knowing if we worked on disc 1 and then moved to disc 2.

And it isn't that way in reality. The work wasn't linear and all the work done on disc 1 applies to disc 2. We have huge chunks of both discs done, because we worked on patches for specific things (the game engine, the menus, the movies, the voice overs, etc).

We are doing a test of disc 1 because we can check if that is complete up to the point we believe it is, we might find surprises though (we hope none)

If we find issues they probably apply to disc 2 as well. So we could have chosen to do disc 2 instead of 1, or simply bet that doing disc 1 fully will give us disc 2 by default.

It is a program that works with data (videos, text, audio, etc) and it was split into discs because all the data wouldn't fit in the media. Hence it is not a sequential thing. There's duplicated stuff in both (the intersection of program code and data that needs to be in there).

In other words: I replied about hacking, and Slowbeef replied about testing.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Lonheartda60
Favorite Game: Snatcher, ANY Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, and All MG(s)'s

Post by Lonheartda60 »

Okay so I'm new (obviously..look to the left) but I've been following for a while, and i gotta admit i check this message board like every hour on the hour after school, I'm an addict...

So idk if this is random, but is anyone gonna make like a custom gameboot menu for psp? jw or do we have to do our own... i mean i just love the aesthetics.

And i wanted to know if this game in particular really had many movie homages like Snatcher does to Blade Runner and Terminator etc. or is that one of those tune in next time/wait until you play type things?

P.S.
Hi everybody!
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Post by Jack Stern »

Lonheartda60 wrote:Okay so I'm new (obviously..look to the left) but I've been following for a while, and i gotta admit i check this message board like every hour on the hour after school, I'm an addict...

So idk if this is random, but is anyone gonna make like a custom gameboot menu for psp? jw or do we have to do our own... i mean i just love the aesthetics.

And i wanted to know if this game in particular really had many movie homages like Snatcher does to Blade Runner and Terminator etc. or is that one of those tune in next time/wait until you play type things?

P.S.
Hi everybody!
I have made some templates for the PSP version XMB menu media, some movie icon clips also. I will upload them tonight.

About the movie references, as far as I know, the only notable reference is the protagonists (Ingram and Brown) having a similar relationship like the protagonists from Lethal Weapon series. Policenauts also makes some references to other Kojima's works such as Snatcher and Metal Gear, btw.
Lonheartda60

Post by Lonheartda60 »

Oh yea, I loved the allusions to Metal Gear that were in Snatcher. Thanx in advance for the uploads.

Hey so I got a random question (actually i have lots) but for me I loved Snatcher because the story line was completely compelling and intriguing... and at the same time i wasn't too worried about the gameplay being an adventure game. (side note i loved the shooting sequences, tho they did get harder towards the end :mrgreen: ) but i was wondering why other people loved/liked Snatcher. Like what did you love about it?
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

Lonheartda60 wrote:i was wondering why other people loved/liked Snatcher. Like what did you love about it?
It's got everything I wanted from a game. Compelling concept, easy to pick up and play, fantastic plot that made me laugh, made me cry, and made me think. Fantastic music, voices, graphics-- everything was done excellently. It grabs you from the opening sequence and doesn't let go until the end credits.

Everything in the game is done for a purpose, and not to pander to fanboys or to look pompous, elitist, or intellectual, something that happens with other Kojima and other adventure games, or games heavily plot oriented. Everything works.

My all time favorite game. I just adore it.
Last edited by 8bitsonic on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonheartda60

Post by Lonheartda60 »

very very interesting points. could anything have made the game better? (considering the year it was made.)
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Lonheartda60 wrote:could anything have made the game better? (considering the year it was made.)
Less censorship in the Sega CD version (the version I'm talking about). Though considering the time period (1994) and the intense controversy about violent games at the time, it's astonishing how much was left in. The Japanese versions for the PlayStation and Saturn are way MORE censored; how often do you see that happen?!
Lonheartda60

Post by Lonheartda60 »

ok so im 99.9% positive that i should take this to another topic, but is there anyone that may have a URL to a Hideo Kojima intereview during the times when Policenauts or Snatcher came out? I know its easy to find ones for MGS and beyond because of his popularity, but i was just wondering if there were any during the "Policenauts phase" that would be farr out.
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Lonheartda60 wrote:ok so im 99.9% positive that i should take this to another topic, but is there anyone that may have a URL to a Hideo Kojima intereview during the times when Policenauts or Snatcher came out? I know its easy to find ones for MGS and beyond because of his popularity, but i was just wondering if there were any during the "Policenauts phase" that would be farr out.
There are some translated interviews on the site with Kojima and the Snatcher team, taken from the liner notes of Snatcher soundtracks.
Lonheartda60

Post by Lonheartda60 »

the interviews are on junkerhq? or on in the forums?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Lonheartda60 wrote:ok so im 99.9% positive that i should take this to another topic, but is there anyone that may have a URL to a Hideo Kojima intereview during the times when Policenauts or Snatcher came out? I know its easy to find ones for MGS and beyond because of his popularity, but i was just wondering if there were any during the "Policenauts phase" that would be farr out.
I've translated from Japanese three interviews he did about Policenauts. We're going to post them on policenauts.net after the patch is out. A lot of insight into the game (and even Snatcher too).
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Post by Jack Stern »

Marc, kind of off-topic, but don't you happen to have a translated version of the Kojima's interview he gave about MGS Integral? I think it was along an official guide or something like that. He commented regarding with the game's re-release, the english voice acting, VR missions disc, Mei Ling's proverbs and stuff. It was posted long time ago on TUS.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Lonheartda60 wrote:very very interesting points. could anything have made the game better? (considering the year it was made.)

James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

Snake Plissken wrote:
Lonheartda60 wrote:very very interesting points. could anything have made the game better? (considering the year it was made.)

I heard Abe Vigoda died..

*checks his Abe Vigoda death status plugin*

Nevermind.
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

James_The_Stampede wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:

No, he didn't die. At least imdb doesn't say anything about DOD
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001820/
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

Solidé wrote:
James_The_Stampede wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:

No, he didn't die. At least imdb doesn't say anything about DOD
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001820/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Vigoda ... _his_death

It's a bit of an old internet meme.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Spoiler alert! Abe Vigoda is still alive in 2043 and that is Policenauts canon.