Two versions of the PSone Books release?!

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Two versions of the PSone Books release?!

Post by 8bitsonic »

I just bought a copy of the PSone Books version of Policenauts, and I discovered something that apparently has never been noticed before. This may have bearings for the translation. I explain everything in the video:

If anyone else has the PSone Books edition, check the intro on your copy and post it here!
Marc
General

Re: Two versions of the PSone Books release?!

Post by Marc »

That's a nice find. Maybe they did a reprint of that version and somehow they used a master from one of the previous versions. Anyway, I don't have a copy of that version, so nothing to report. *returns to base*
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

8bitsonic wrote:I just bought a copy of the PSone Books version of Policenauts, and I discovered something that apparently has never been noticed before. This may have bearings for the translation. I explain everything in the video:

If anyone else has the PSone Books edition, check the intro on your copy and post it here!
I really don't think it will have a bearing on the translation (though, this is me just speaking from a COMPLETELY speculatory perspective) unless they changed the file system that everything is packed in or made changes to the games script. It may effect the CRC of an ISO made from the disc, but that may or may not be relevant depending on the type of patching system that is used.

/My 40 cents (adjusted for inflation).
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I don't believe he wants to imply that. And as you say it won't affect us. It would just be a matter of people selecting based on the intro logo, and not just box art. But it is indeed an interesting find. I will post my version booting up tonight, although my quality will eb lower since I only have the cellphone as camera.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Well, guess what? My version also has the original logo in it. I was really puzzled by this, and tried the PS3/PSP version as well. It also has the original logo.

When 8bitsonic posted this in the morning I had some doubts regarding my memory, but after seeing it running on my own system, man did I feel like a fool.

After that I logged in and searched this forum. It seems we have all believed this from way back (just search for "konami logo" here), but none of us ever said it ha dthe new konami logo, we just assumed it.

i went back and checked my original post on the Junker HQ news (hosted here: http://junkerhq.net/news2003.html )
20/08/2003 The scans for the Policenauts PSOne Books re-release are available now, as well as pictures of the Black/Red Gameboy Advance SP Boktai Edition. As expected, the Policenauts re-release is virtually identical to the original PSX release, except in the packaging. The Boktai GBA SP is very beautiful, I recommend this one to anyone wanting one of this excellent portables.
As you can see I did check it. And I know I did a binary check for the full iso image and all the files as well. I just didn't recall what my results were and, as we all did, I went with our general collective memory. I chose to believe the logo was different.

I don't know how this "meme" started, the oldest record on this board is from 10 Jan 2007 on the Private Translation forums (Only we could read this, don't know how it was made public), and it reads:
Marc wrote:Did we ever establish if the different versions will necessitate different patches? I think The Best will be the same as the original version, but PSone Books might be slightly different (enough to need a separate patch) -- for instance, the Konami logo is different, isn't it (the new red and white one)? I guess we won't know until we test it on them, huh?
Artemio wrote:We won't know for sure until we test them.. but I believe I made a program to check differences byte per byte off the cd images, and compared them back in the time..

I'll need to check into that, if it is only the logo, it is possible to have a single patch.
And I never checked again, and I believe that from then on, it was perpetuated and assumed that it was as such... even if none of us confirmed/affirmed it. It was perpetuated because of the following post:
Marc wrote:We won't know that until we can test it on them, unfortunately. If you were to buy one now and wanted to be safe, go with either the original or TheBest version.
As you can see he never affirmed it was the case, just that we needed to check and went for a worst case scenario. We all forgot the exact words and kept a practical message such as "Don't get the Books version". And it went on, and after years it became the truth we all beLIEved

Here are a few of the posts that lead to this "general memory failure" event. I am sorry I didn't confirm it and we had this confusion going on.

viewtopic.php?p=12848#p12848
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1406&p=15578
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1940&p=22840

I am sorry about the confusion.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

On behalf of the team, I believe a very big "Fission Mailed" is in order.