Attempting to download PC98 Policenauts

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
snatcher1988
Runner

Attempting to download PC98 Policenauts

Post by snatcher1988 »

Okay, after several false starts, I've decided to try downloading the game, using the emulation guide.

First things first, it says to extract the rars to a place on my harddisk, and that I should have several floppydisk images and 1 harddisk image and a directory with the CD image. What do they mean by harddisk images, and several floppydisk images? Also, should I download all 5 rar files onto my desktop first?
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Re: Attempting to download PC98 Policenauts

Post by seraphssavior »

.hdi files are Hard Drive files, and .fdi are Floppy disk files.

You'll need all of the .rar files before you can open them, since they are split into parts.

The CD image is going to be something like a .iso, or a .cue
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

Okay, I just downloaded all 5 rar files onto my desktop. Now how do I extract them to a place on my harddisk, so that I will have everal floppydisk images and 1 harddisk image and a directory with the CD image? Do I have to insert a blank CD and a blank 3 inch floppy disk into my disk drive?

Also, would it be best if I used the software tool that is provided in this link:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013937 ... dex_e.html
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

No, you just need to extract the .rar files to a folder. I don't know if you have to mount a CD image or not, but if the guide says to, then use Alcohol 120%, or Daemon tools.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

Okay, I just put all 5 rar files into a folder that I named "PC98 Policenauts", and I've downloaded Alcohol 120%. Now how do I mount the CD image with my Virtual CD software?

Also, if I forgot to do something, or if I made a mistake up until this point, please let me know.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

I've never tried to run a CD based game on a PC98 emulator, so I may not be exactly precise on this, but to mount the image, you need to start up alcohol (I use daemon, so I may be wrong again on this) And find an option to mount an image to a virtual drive. Once the image is mounted, you need to configure the emulator to recognize the drive letter of the virtual drive that you're using. You should be able to follow the emulation guide from there.

Did you unzip the .rar files?
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

I've tried to unzip them with WinZip, but it's not working. Everytime I do, a message pops up saying that I possibly typed in a wrong password, when in actuality, I'm only using an evaluated version of WinZip. Even the version of Alcohol %120 that I downloaded is a Trial version.

So does this mean that all is lost, or is there a way around it?
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Go get 7-zip (www.7zip.org) And you should be able to get the files out. 7zip is free, and makes winzip look absolutely useless in comparison.

As for the mounting software, go get daemon tools. It's free, and you don't get stuck with a trial version.

There's always a way around it, too. So where you got the file should have a password listed somewhere. If you can't find it, pm me the link, and I'll see what I can do.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

Okay, now I just created a folder called "98_poln" that contains the following contents: The "Policenauts" sub folder, which contains a CD sub-folder that includes a .bin file and a .cue file. Both of them are VLC Media files, and contain 555,852 kb, and 1 kb respectively. Also included in the "Policenauts" sub folder is a system.fdi file, a Policenauts.hdi file, as well as two user FDI files for T-98 Next and Anex respectively, and a 485 x 320 GIF file.

Now do I have everything that I should have from extracting the rars?
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

It looks like it. The .bin and .cue are your CD images, and it looks like you have everything that you need.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

All right, now that I got that out of the way, all I have to do now is mount the CD image with my virtual CD software. The only problem, however, is that when I tried to download Daemontools (the one that you suggested) onto my desktop, I've got an error message telling me that my OS doesn't support it, and that the ones that do are Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP x86/X64 SP2, Windows 2003 x86/x64, and Windows Vista x86/x84.

The version that I've unsuccessfully tried to download was the most version of Daemon Tools Lite, which was released on July 2008. I hope there's still a way around this.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

What OS are you using?
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition; copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corporation.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Upgrade to service pack 2. And clean out your computer, which is probably full of malware and viruses if you're still using SP1.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

Actually, I finally managed to get the game to work on my Anex86 emulator. All I did was mount the CD image with the trial version of Alcohol %120. However, during the intro, there is no "Old L.A. 2040" playing in the background. How do I fix this problem?

For the record, I now have several TBL and NAM files, as well as one NAM file, one WLD file, and one PCM file in the pc98_poln folder.
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

I don't think you can. Apparently, no CD audio is the price you pay for using that emulator.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1562
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

Oh well. No big deal. I actually managed to work my way around that.

How? I downloaded "Old L.A. 2040", as well as "Policenauts End Theme" off of YouTube, and saved them onto my desktop via RealPlayer files.

From now on, whenever the intro and ending to the game come up, I just cue up the respective RealPlayer files to those segments, and play them, so that I can make it seem like I'm watching the intro and the ending to the game on a real PC-9821 machine, complete with the actual music for both segments.

And BTW, when I have the time, I'll be sure to play through the PC-98 game in its entirety. And when I do, I'll be sure to share my thoughts on it. It will officially be the first version of the game that I've ever officially played through, as well as the first time I've ever played the game, and I couldn't be any happier on that.