Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Zhukov

Re: Current Project Status

Post by Zhukov »

Is the Mother/EarthBound series as good as everyone says?? I tried playing the start of EarthBound, but I really couldnt get into it
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Same here, it just seemed too bizarre.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Zhukov wrote:Is the Mother/EarthBound series as good as everyone says?? I tried playing the start of EarthBound, but I really couldnt get into it
It's totally wonderful if you 'get' the whole trippy groove of its story telling. If you're bored with conventional RPGs, and want to see something daring and original, you can't go wrong. It takes some patience though, and the SNES release came with a strategy guide for a reason. You just gotta be willing to throw yourself into the void.
XenoMorph
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

I remember playing earthbound on SNES when I was a bit younger. I really digged the art direction in that game, something that no other game has even come close to copying. Plus the final boss fight in that game was awesome (Not to spoil antyhing for anyone, but it does take more than brawn to achieve victory)
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

shidoni wrote:I guess everyone knows that the Mother 3 patch is out, eh?
Yeah, congrats to both them and the Tsumi team for their releases!
Lonheartda60
Favorite Game: Snatcher, ANY Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, and All MG(s)'s

Post by Lonheartda60 »

hey are any of Suda 51's game translated? I really want to play.
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Lonheartda60 wrote:hey are any of Suda 51's game translated? I really want to play.
?! Aren't they almost ALL translated? Killer 7, No More Heroes, even obscure ones like Michigan: Report From Hell. Only a few aren't translated, like these early PSX adventure things.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Status update time? Why not.

So our next major goal is still Disc 1 Alpha. I did a quick, informal audit and there are currently:

4 bugs, 21 issues in the way.

21 issues sounds like a lot, but an "issue" could be something as simple as Marc saying, "here is a file, slowbeef", I run the patcher and it's done on the first try. This actually happened day before yesterday - he gave me two and it took me more time to actually play the game to test them than it did to patch them. (It actually only took a couple seconds to patch them.)

Of course, an issue could also be, "Hey Marc, can you fill out that giant line-for-line translation file I gave you that's about 3000 lines of Japanese?" I think that's actually our biggest issue, but Marc's nearing completion on that.

I'm currently working on Bug 1: The Summary Text you get when you load a saved game (similar again, to Metal Gear Solid). I expect to be able to knock that out today.

Bug 2 and 3 are two cinemas that I'm having trouble with - I'm 90% sure it's actually the same bug, but I haven't investigated enough to be sure.

Bug 4 is a single line ("Impressive!") in the voiceover scenes. That one, I'm leaving until last - Scarboy did the programming on the voiceover stuff, but he's tied up with exams, so I'll take a look if I finish everything else first.

Other bugs may crop up, but I figured the audit might give you some metric as to our progress (so next time I can say we're down to X bugs, Y issues). Also, if we do get down to 0 issues, then I'll start working on beta features again (we did some work on it, but alpha's more important right now.)
snatchernaut
Runner
Favorite Game: snatcher

Post by snatchernaut »

nice update slowbeef.
i love waking up in the morning checking the forum and seeing good news like this.
hopefully this will make my day at work easier.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

If it hasn't already been asked, can you tell me how much you plan to have completed in the Alpha, as opposed to the Beta (and if you're skipping anything worthy of being called a beta, then the difference between Alpha and Final)?

If I had a more optimistic view, I'd assume the team would create the alpha, test it, remove any discovered bugs, and release it, but it sounds a little too simple and, to be frank, unlikely.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

87th wrote:If it hasn't already been asked, can you tell me how much you plan to have completed in the Alpha, as opposed to the Beta (and if you're skipping anything worthy of being called a beta, then the difference between Alpha and Final)?

If I had a more optimistic view, I'd assume the team would create the alpha, test it, remove any discovered bugs, and release it, but it sounds a little too simple and, to be frank, unlikely.
We're not skipping beta. Our major milestones as far as I'm aware - and Artemio and Marc can correct me - is:

Alpha Disc 1 -> Alpha Disc 2 -> Beta Disc 1 -> Beta Disc 2 -> Release

We've got 4 bugs, 21 issues to reach Alpha Disc 1. I can't give any numbers for the later milestones because I simply won't know until we get to Alpha Disc 1.

Let's talk about a game you would know for a good example... let's say... hmmm... Metal Gear Solid.

Imagine MGS was never released here and we were ROM hacking that. To me, Alpha would mean that the Codec calls and the cutscene subtitles would all be English. Good English too, not that "THIS TEXT IS SHRTNED" bullshit you see in crappy ROM hacks. It would mean that the game were playable and enjoyable.

But let's say the telops were a beta feature like in Policenauts. When Solid Snake appears, you see:

Solid Snake
(David Hayter)

in Japanese. That's a beta feature because no, it doesn't look like a professionally localized game with that in Japanese, certainly, but hey. I mean, it's playable and you can still enjoy the story.

At the end of the day, I guess I'd like you to play it and have the matter of "Does this look like a pro job" be as subjective as possible. I would like it if there weren't anything missing in there that you could definitely say, "Konami would have changed ______ in an official release."

(Except for the voice dubbing.)

Alpha, for us, means the game is a run-of-the-mill ROM hack. You could play the Alpha and finally understand the story of Policenauts.

Beta is more like, "This is what Policenauts in English would have been... oh shit there's a bug."

Release: "This is what Policenauts in English would have been."

Without the source code and art assets, there's only so much we can do, but Artemio and Marc are pretty strict when it comes to keeping me honest. (i.e. "No, slowbeef, we consider almost everything critical for version 1.00 and there will not be a version 0.99")

Let's get more specific.

Where we are - In reaching toward Alpha, that means we are currently patching and testing the English. We require no major development; all necessary tools are developed. There is testing and bug-fixing to be done, but that is all.

Alpha - all in-game text, name badges, cutscene subtitles (movie and voiceover), and menus (in-game and system) are completely in English and working correctly. The game is playable and enjoyable to an English speaker. There's no "okay this cutscene is in Japanese but you get the gist" type of thing. You might raise an eyebrow because someone spelled the guy's name "Isida" on an ID card or something, when his name is Ishida.

Beta Development we need to do - We need further development on some of the graphics tools. We have some of these in a state of partial development, but more work needs doing. I haven't really done an in-depth sort of audit on beta, because honestly, we really do need to get to Alpha to be able to ascertain that.

Beta - Everything looks good to an English speaker, period. If there were Engrishy things in the background or foreground graphics, we've edited them. Telops are also in English. Even the credits are in English. Bugs may remain, but we do not intend to do any additive work except for fixing them.

Does this help at all?
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

slowbeef wrote: Does this help at all?
Oh, absolutely! I wasn't expecting such a comprehensive reply, though I think you may have shot yourself in the foot a little by explaining how enjoyable the Alpha version will be to play. If you're inundated with requests to hand-out the incomplete patch, I'm sorry for asking about it. :lol:

It's great to hear of your dedication to make such a professional localisation. One of my most justifiable reasons for enjoying Hideo Kojima's games so much is the care, attention-to-detail and high standard of coding that is so commonplace in his titles. It sounds like the team recognises this in his work, and really cares about the game as much as anyone reading this text.

Admittedly, after talking to members of the team on this forum over the development of this project, I'm sure to be forgiving enough to overlook any errors I might find in it, but this doesn't sound like an issue, as the team working on it really seem to be the right people to do it. I don't say this as a prediction of a flawed result, but in effort to relieve any stress or worries the team may have about the fans' reactions.

I've never been so confident about the quality of an unreleased fan-project before, but I am sure that the end result will meet my high-hopes. I am very thankful to the team for taking the incredible amount of time and effort to produce this, and wish I could offer something beyond praise towards the project. That said, I am sure never to shut up about this once it's done. :P

PS- Sorry for the late reply. I had trouble making posts a little earlier, but Artemio's fixed it now, thanks.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

The count is still 4 bugs, but 19 issues remaining. Sorry - we hit a couple bugs resolving those 2 issues and I had to spend time knocking them down. Still working on summary text.
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

slowbeef wrote:The count is still 4 bugs, but 19 issues remaining. Sorry - we hit a couple bugs resolving those 2 issues and I had to spend time knocking them down. Still working on summary text.
Digging the comprehensive updates. Keep up the good work, man.
whitetrashshayno
Runner
Favorite Game: mgs..all of em, final fantasy 7
Kojima games owned: metal gear 1,2,snakes revenge
mgs 1,mgs vr missions,2substance,document of mgs2, mgs3,mgs3s,mgs4 collectors edition, portable ops, acid,portable ops+, digital graphic novel

Snatcher
PSN: wtshayno

Post by whitetrashshayno »

Man thanks for all your hardwork guys. Is thier a place to give donations?
I'm so stoked on the realease of this. And i know im a noob for asking but.

How is this gonna be released as a ps one emulator thing, or are u guys gonna be able to make disks and put it on modded psones?

either way im tottaly stoked and sorry bout sounding noobish.

thanks guys
Wanted list
Mgs 1 pal premium pack (unsealed but with all the stuff), first bite poster, mgs 3premium pack, mgs 2 premium pack , Mgs 3 subsistence us limted edition unsealed.

Any smashing pumpkins,beck, radiohead, arcade fire, spoon, beatles, or doors vinyls :)
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Post by akor1108 »

Oh man.

THIS IS FAN-F*CKIN'-TASTIC news!

It may not be the release, but just the sign and constant update on the progress of the patch makes me happy.

It is people like you that keep the world going. willing to make a few sacrifices for the greater good (or enjoyment).

you will not be forgotten!
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

whitetrashshayno wrote:Man thanks for all your hardwork guys. Is thier a place to give donations?

How is this gonna be released as a ps one emulator thing, or are u guys gonna be able to make disks and put it on modded psones?

thanks guys
I've been begging them to let me donate for a while, but I think they're not accepting ANY money for additional legal butt-coverage.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

X_Lupin wrote:
whitetrashshayno wrote:Man thanks for all your hardwork guys. Is thier a place to give donations?

thanks guys
I've been begging them to let me donate for a while, but I think they're not accepting ANY money for additional legal butt-coverage.
They could always start a "charity" where we donate money to the needy (programmers working on this). If anybody was brought to court, then Konami would seem like massive jerks for suing a charitable organization. :evil:
Nah, I don't think it would be good to have donations anyway (at least not until the patch is completed), because that sometimes causes problems with motivation. At least that's how I usually am. I do a ton of charity work, and if I'm ever forced to take money then I don't feel as good about what I just did. As akor said, they are making a sacrifice for humanity! :D
snatchernaut
Runner
Favorite Game: snatcher

Post by snatchernaut »

They could always start a "charity" where we donate money to the needy (programmers working on this). If anybody was brought to court, then Konami would seem like massive jerks for suing a charitable organization. :evil:
Nah, I don't think it would be good to have donations anyway (at least not until the patch is completed), because that sometimes causes problems with motivation. At least that's how I usually am. I do a ton of charity work, and if I'm ever forced to take money then I don't feel as good about what I just did. As akor said, they are making a sacrifice for humanity! :D
dont think they would sue. aslong as we have original copies of the games i dontthink there is a lot the could do.
nor do i think they even care
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

It has been stated numerous times in the past and in the FAQs for the project. And that is not the most important reason. We simply don't need the donations. I mean, that is not our motive, that is not our goal and it would only change the way things work for us. We are doing this because we want to, for ourselves and to share it with whoever cares about the game.

Accepting donations would simply go against it in so many ways that it simply isn't worth it for anyone.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Post by akor1108 »

You guys make my heart happy to know the goodness that is the team working on the project and the progress of the project itself!

We need more dedicated modest and non-greedy people like you.

Patience is beginning to pay off!
Letiumtide

Post by Letiumtide »

I'm really looking forward to this, being a huge snatcher fan I've been dying to play Policenauts (in English, don't know any Japanese... yet)

Keep up the good work guys, It seems like it's really coming along quite nice.

If you ever need a beta tester I'd be glad to help =)
khmr33
Favorite Game: Radiant Silvergun
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear NES
Snatcher CDRomantic
Snatcher Sega CD
Snatcher Sega Saturn
Policenauts PS The Best
Policenauts Sega Saturn
Metal Gear Solid US PS1 Black Bar
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions US PS1
Bleemcast! Metal Gear Solid
Zone Of The Enders US PS2 w/Demo
Zone Of The Enders Premium Package JP PS2
Metal Gear Solid 2 US PS2 Black Bar
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance US PS2
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance US Xbox
The Document Of Metal Gear Solid 2
Zone Of The Enders: The Second Runner US PS2
Boktai The Sun Is In Your Hand
Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 3 US PS2
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Special Edition US PS2
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1
Metal Gear Solid 4 Special Edition US PS3
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2 (sealed)
PSN: khmr33
Xbox Live: khmr33

Post by khmr33 »

First post here!

I've been reading this board for over a year now and decided to join when my friend returned from Japan with a PS1 The Best copy of Policenauts for me. I was so excited! I already owned the Saturn version but was afraid I'd have to wait longer for subsequent versions of the patch.
It is likely I will play both versions if given the chance though.

Artemio, I played through the MSX2 version of Snatcher thanks to you. It motivated me to finally track down the SegaCD version. Your site set off my quest for international versions of Kojima games. Though judging by the prices for some of vintage MSX versions nowadays we'll all have a hard time catching up to you!

A great deal of thanks for the whole Policenauts team, can't wait to play this game!
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Letiumtide wrote:If you ever need a beta tester I'd be glad to help =)
Thank you for the offer, but this guy has it covered.

whitetrashshayno
Runner
Favorite Game: mgs..all of em, final fantasy 7
Kojima games owned: metal gear 1,2,snakes revenge
mgs 1,mgs vr missions,2substance,document of mgs2, mgs3,mgs3s,mgs4 collectors edition, portable ops, acid,portable ops+, digital graphic novel

Snatcher
PSN: wtshayno

Post by whitetrashshayno »

Artemio wrote:It has been stated numerous times in the past and in the FAQs for the project. And that is not the most important reason. We simply don't need the donations. I mean, that is not our motive, that is not our goal and it would only change the way things work for us. We are doing this because we want to, for ourselves and to share it with whoever cares about the game.

Accepting donations would simply go against it in so many ways that it simply isn't worth it for anyone.
I was just think'n bout doing it as a thank you, but i guess a big ol

THANK YOU!!!!!!
will suffice
Wanted list
Mgs 1 pal premium pack (unsealed but with all the stuff), first bite poster, mgs 3premium pack, mgs 2 premium pack , Mgs 3 subsistence us limted edition unsealed.

Any smashing pumpkins,beck, radiohead, arcade fire, spoon, beatles, or doors vinyls :)