Metal Gear Marathon: "Sons of the Guns Eater" Ops

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
jonthomas83
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition with Snake figure
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops & Portable Ops+
PSN: jonthomas83

Re: Metal Gear Marathon: "Sons of the Guns Eater" Ops

Post by jonthomas83 »

gixo wrote:Haha you are very funny =D Actually i have never smoked a singel fag (damn i love that word now). Anyway, i've read both chapters now and they were simple awesome. I actually got a cold rush in the spine while reading Elisas quote :cry: .

Just one thing. "goes by the name of Eva" > "goes by the codename of EVA". ...not to be rude or anything :wink: . Actually we never got to know here real name.
Heh true true my friend! I'll change that right away!

Your post earlier in this thread actually prompted me to write about Elisa's words to Snake in PO. So you're the inspiration for that bit mate! :)

Thanks for the kind words mate, I really appreciate it, it's nice to have your efforts enjoyed by someone. I don't think many people will read it but I'll be happy knowing it's there for anyone that cares! :)

Thanks also for taking the time to read through them, it must have taken ages! lol.

P.S. I too have never experienced the bliss of a fag either! And honestly, I never want to either! :)
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

Yeah, i really felt how our conversations have influent the text. I'm a bit bummed how i never will be able to write something like that. First of im really not that good at english, making good sentences and such. And i'm not very good at following a straight when im trying to explain something. I always slip away and lose the point.

Yeah, not many will read it i guess. And everyone who does have probably already played the game, so i don't really think the spoilerboxes are to any use. But they look REALLY cool. It is a very nice idea, and it made the text more fun to read. Interactive in a kind of way, its the future i tell you.

'bout the time. time flies when you are having fun. (actually my little brother was screaming to get my of the computer in the last part of PO, but whatever^^)

And yeah, actually i don't really got something against fags nowadays, but when i was smaller i cursed them (ciggs, not fags :lol: ). I told myself to never smoke one, and now i cant break my promise xD. But i feel kinda cool when ppl are offering my a fag, and i just can say no.

Well, i have continued my Hard-run of MGS now. Will need to complete it to be able to play from the start again. And now i will finally see the alternative ending :)
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Sorry Gixo, I thought I'd replied to this!

We've all got things that we try our best at and enjoy, I guess I just enjoy writing! (Never thought I'd ever say that when I was in school!) Lol, I got a tendancy to go off on a different route every time I try to follow a specific stream of thought! I always go off on a tangent!

Lol about the spoiler boxes! I didn't wanna take the risk cos I know how much I hate having things spoiled for me!

I can't wait to play MGS again, I'm a quarter of a way through Ghost Babel which is a nice little game but I'm waiting for things to get a bit more interesting which I'm sure it will!

Yeah the conversations we've had in this thread have really made it easier for me to write about my experiences of the games on the whole. It's been inspirational as well as fun and I'm really pleased we've run the thread alongside me writing up and playing the games. Even if there's not many who are interested it's been cool just us guys doing it!
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

=)

Ghost Babel i see. I will skip that one since it's not really canon. And a played it before too.
Right now i'm listening to the credits music of MGS, just finished my playtrough i started months ago, where i got stuck. Now i killed the Hind D in the second try :/ .

Actually i think the alternative ending is alot better, i've only seen it on twin snakes before.
Spoiler:
MGS4spoiler, jon:
Spoiler:
here colonel says he is meryls father
its a great scene with Otacon and Snake on the Metal Gear.
At the scooter, you can see how Hal's and David's friendship sparks to life, which settles the base of Philanthropy in MGS2
Now i will play it again. But i can't decide if i will play it on Normal or Hard (or easy^^). I want that radar :O
ImageImage
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

=)

Ghost Babel i see. I will skip that one since it's not really canon. And a played it before too.
Right now i'm listening to the credits music of MGS, just finished my playtrough i started months ago, where i got stuck. Now i killed the Hind D in the second try :/ .

Actually i think the alternative ending is alot better, i've only seen it on twin snakes before.

MGS4spoiler, jon:
Spoiler:
here colonel says he is meryls father
its a great scene with Otacon and Snake on the Metal Gear.
At the scooter, you can see how Hal's and David's friendship sparks to life, which settles the base of Philanthropy in MGS2

Now i will play it again. But i can't decide if i will play it on Normal or Hard (or easy^^). I want that radar :O
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Thanks for the spoiler notice mate! Much appreciated!

I love the two endings, I've played both on both the original and on Twin Snakes. Yeah Ghost Babel is ok but I'm not really into it at the moment, hopefully that'll change soon!

I'm really looking forward to MGS now we're talking about it! :)
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

I don't usually post twice in a row and like to edit earlier posts if nobody has posted since my last post. However, I figured that if anyone is watching this thread for updates, a regular "edit" wouldn't show up so here's a new post for rss and notification purposes.

I've finally completed Metal Gear Solid on the Game Boy, or Metal Gear: Ghost Babel as it should be known!

Wow, it was a pain in the ass at times and the regular MGS control system does not convert well onto the Game Boy does it!?!?! However, I finally got it in the end and it was well worth the play and the hair that got pulled out in the mean time.

I got stuck on a few bits and I have to say that it's probably the hardest Metal Gear game I've played to date. Sometimes I just couldn't find a way around things and it seemed like I'd have to relearn new patterns to get through. It's done now and the write up will be coming which documents all of my trials and tribulations, and the pitfalls I came across in the game!

Also, over at my website, Chapter 4 of the Metal Gear Marathon - Metal Gear, will be going live this week so please keep an eye out for it! :) It's really been a pleasure writing it and I hope you guys are enjoying it as much as me!
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

damn! I've always wanted to do this, but i just don't have the time!

good luck guys!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Yeah I thought that too but if you can manage to make the time, it's an awesome experience and very rewarding. I'm loving every minute of it! :)
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

So I'm done with Metal Gear Solid on Hard for the second time.
First off, i can really see how amazing this game was for Metal Gear fans. Making a MG in full 3D, and making it look very good too. With a detail to everything. My brother asked me today when i was playing "Is this on Playstation One?!", "Yes", "Cool".
But its not only the graphics. The classic MG-storyline is converted awsome with all the voiceacting. You understand how Kojima wanted all this with the older MGs but couldnt, limited to the hardware. This game got so many emotional moments. And it keeps the good old feel of text-only conversation from MG and MG2 with the codec, but now with voice.
While playing this time i really thought about how fun all the bosses were. Every single boss seems to have multiple ways of defeating them.
The music is probably the best in the series. Before Harry came to ruin it all (where MGS4 only got like 2 good tracks by him). Tracks like Discovery, Cavern and Enclosure.
This game is still standing as one of the best games ever. All the quality put into it makes it age very, very well.
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

gixo wrote:First off, i can really see how amazing this game was for Metal Gear fans. Making a MG in full 3D, and making it look very good too. With a detail to everything. My brother asked me today when i was playing "Is this on Playstation One?!", "Yes", "Cool".
But its not only the graphics. The classic MG-storyline is converted awsome with all the voiceacting. You understand how Kojima wanted all this with the older MGs but couldnt, limited to the hardware. This game got so many emotional moments. And it keeps the good old feel of text-only conversation from MG and MG2 with the codec, but now with voice.
While playing this time i really thought about how fun all the bosses were. Every single boss seems to have multiple ways of defeating them.
The music is probably the best in the series. Before Harry came to ruin it all (where MGS4 only got like 2 good tracks by him). Tracks like Discovery, Cavern and Enclosure.
This game is still standing as one of the best games ever. All the quality put into it makes it age very, very well.
You know what, I was gonna mention this in my writeup, I agree, it's awesome how (now that I've played the original MSX titles) the conversion to 3D really feels right. As you say mate, it's like Kojima created the game he always meant to create. The first time I played MGS was after MGS2 and I gotta say, after playing MG and MG2 it feels a hell of a lot darker a game and storyline than what it felt like after playing MGS2. The atmospherics feel amazing and the music, as you say, is world class, as we've come to expect.

I've got it going through my 5.1 and the sound effects are really something to be savoured. I'm really enjoying playing it at the moment.

It feels nostalgic playing it through the PS3 too, I was debating whether or not to play the P.C. version but it just feels right using the PS3.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Well i play it on PS2 to be able to use my old saves. And i play the final part on PS (or else the game freezes)
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Oh well, it's been a month now since I updated the Marathon, so here's the new Chapter!

Chapter 4 - Metal Gear:

http://jonathanpthomas.com/shadowmoses/ ... etal-gear/

Hope you guys enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it, again, let me know if you spot any errors and I'll endeavour to fix them right away!

P.S. I've done a few touch up's on Chapters 2 & 3, adding Character galleries and have taken out the annoying but very cool (if i may say so myself) spoiler boxes as I figured, as gixo pointed out earlier, that anyone reading this mammoth document would have probably already played the games.

Anyway, let me know if you see any errors.

Cheers,
Jonathan
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Noo.. The spoilers were cool =D. Well, i will read this one. I'm at the end of MGS2 now btw. Then i will watch the Document of MGS2 and toy around a bit with the Subsitence extra disc.

... and man this place is dead when everyone left
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

gixo wrote:Noo.. The spoilers were cool =D. Well, i will read this one. I'm at the end of MGS2 now btw. Then i will watch the Document of MGS2 and toy around a bit with the Subsitence extra disc.

... and man this place is dead when everyone left
Heh, I liked the spoilers too but I felt that it was much easier to read without them and they may have detracted from what was being said. Don't worry, I'll find other uses for them elsewhere! :)

Yeah I can't wait to get to the document and the Substance stuff, I may consider re-watching Existence from Subsistence again one last time before MGS4, what do you think? I just thing that it was cool to play MGS3 in its rightful chronological place in the timeline, but it may be worth following the storyline of MGS3 in it's exact place as far as Kojima planned for us to find out about it too. Y'know what I mean?

Congrats Gixo, youre going full steam ahead, surprisingly this hasn't taken as long as i thought it would. I got a while to go yet though. I wanna read Raymond Benson's Novel (Have you read that yet, I noticed you have it, is it worth the read?) and read the Graphic Novels too in between.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Yeah i know what you mean about the MGS3. But i still think it its wrong for a marathon to do it. I mean, go back to Big Boss now when we have followed Snakes journey for a while. Anyway. I'm done with MGS2, I've seen "The Making of MGS2" and played around a little with the Document of MGS2. There is still much there which i havent done or seen. Sometime in the future i will probably read the full script.
Anyway, have you read the "Special -> Previuous Story" in at the MGS2-disc? Its actually pretty good. Takes som time though.

Right now im at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2 : Bande Dessinée ;)

Actually i think this has taken more time than i thought. But that is probably because i havent been very active.
ImageImage
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Does Metal Gear Solid 2: Bande Dessinée have English subtitles? If so, instant buy. I all ready know it's only been released in Japan, but it is region free, right?
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

gixo wrote:Yeah i know what you mean about the MGS3. But i still think it its wrong for a marathon to do it. I mean, go back to Big Boss now when we have followed Snakes journey for a while.
Good Point, I'll stick to the plan! :)
gixo wrote:Anyway. I'm done with MGS2, I've seen "The Making of MGS2" and played around a little with the Document of MGS2. There is still much there which i havent done or seen. Sometime in the future i will probably read the full script.
Anyway, have you read the "Special -> Previuous Story" in at the MGS2-disc? Its actually pretty good. Takes som time though.

Right now im at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2 : Bande Dessinée ;)

Actually i think this has taken more time than i thought. But that is probably because i havent been very active.
I'm gonna read through all that when I get there actually, including Nastasha Romanenko's book "In the Darkness of Shadow Moses: The Unofficial Truth". I read the backstory bits on Metal Gear Solid which were cool so I can't skip the MGS2 ones! :)

Now you're talking about the making of and document, I can't wait to get there! :)
Henry Spencer wrote:Does Metal Gear Solid 2: Bande Dessinée have English subtitles? If so, instant buy. I all ready know it's only been released in Japan, but it is region free, right?
Yeah I think it does mate, I think I'll purchase it if the English speaking version doesn't come out over here before I move on to MGS4. I'm going to be viewing the DGN so it makes sense to see Bande Dessine too.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Henry Spencer wrote:Does Metal Gear Solid 2: Bande Dessinée have English subtitles? If so, instant buy. I all ready know it's only been released in Japan, but it is region free, right?
Japanese voices and english speechbubbles ^^
jonthomas83 wrote:
Now you're talking about the making of and document, I can't wait to get there! :)
It got a written "making of" @ 51 pages ^^
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

gixo wrote:
jonthomas83 wrote:
It got a written "making of" @ 51 pages ^^
What's that look like mate? I've got a Japanese "Making of" book but not an English one.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Well it's on the disc. give it a shot. I think i recall that it explains why the Arsenal vs. Manhattan scene.

Anyway. I'm a bit through MGS4 now since I'm trying to play as much as possible. Cause I'm really excited about Mirror's Edge. But i want to finnish this first. But i think i need to write down my thoughts about MGS2 first. So here we go.

First of. This is where the controll is the best of all the games in the series. You can get really good at mastering the controll. Which explains the tons of VR mission they added to substance. It's so much fun running around with L1 pressed in and "Freeze!"-ing people, spin around, steal their dogtag and tranq them. I have so much fun with this game. Playing with the guards.
On to the story. This is very good, and at the second playtrough it's even better since many things are explained (tanker etc.). I love when you realise that Raiden actually is you, who played through MGS as a VR mission. It's too bad this game doesn't got these emotional moments which is a big part of the MG-series. They made a try with the death of Emma. But damn i hate Otacon's tries to cry. But it got one big theme: Life.
When Otacon talks how he alway wanted to be loved. And tells that you have to go out and find it. That really hits me :') Also the ending where Snake talks about how you should live your life. Very good.
I like where The <B>Patriots</B> conrolls the digital flow of information. Have we seen that in real life? China anyone? ^^. We will probably have that problem in Sweden too when the goverment are planning to scan everthing we do on the Internet, I think they'll start at 2009.
And Campbell always freaks me out at Arsenal Gear. Together with the scary music. And when Rose explains everything before the fight with Solidus. She sounds so mean :O.
About the environment i really like it. The tanker really look like one. And i love how you can run around freely in the Plant. Some people think it's too clean, but that's what its supposed to be.

After that i viewed the Making of Metal Gear Solid 2. It's actually really good. It explains many parts in the making, how they added the features.

Then i viewed Metal Gear Solid 2 : Bande Dessinée. I really liked it, it's amazing how they can make the comic move like that. And the Arsenal Gear part freaked me out.

Sorry for the bad text. I'm tired and really uninspired to write about this game. Sorry. That's some of my thoughts only.
Still best game in the series ^^
ImageImage
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

I do think there has been secret organisations in the past, and currently too. Some have stayed secret, some have been discovered (The Illuminati/The Majestic 12; look them up). Most of the current members will be the executive bankers. The most powerful people in the world, even in times of recession like now.

Anyone seen Quantum of Solace yet? Quantum, the organisation in that, when Bond takes snapshots of the members, the shots make them look like The <B>Patriots</B> picture. :lol:
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Henry Spencer wrote:I do think there has been secret organisations in the past, and currently too. Some have stayed secret, some have been discovered (The Illuminati/The Majestic 12; look them up). Most of the current members will be the executive bankers. The most powerful people in the world, even in times of recession like now.
I agree. People say, "If these societies are so secret, how come I've heard about [some of] them?"

The Internet. Imagine trying to disseminate their existence 100 years ago. Most people who know about these things don't talk about them in-person with other people because they don't want to be shunned as a nutcase. The Internet allows us to spread information without having to bear such consequences.
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

gixo wrote:Well it's on the disc. give it a shot. I think i recall that it explains why the Arsenal vs. Manhattan scene.
Thanks for that mate, I'll be sure to check it out.

Wow, I'm really behind! I just finished MGS1! lol.

Thing is, I'm trying to read as much of the supplemental bits I have in my collection like character profiles and story prologues etc in my strategy guides to try and gain as much insight as possible. Its turning into more of a study than a playthrough and it's very interesting indeed.

Needless to say, I've thoroughly enjoyed MGS and will indeed be playing it again after I read through the Benson novel, the GN and DGN. I forgot how blatantly out there the ending was, I forgot that the name "Solidus" was actually used in conversation. It's all pulling together for me now and I'm very pleased I've played the games in order of chronology as a lot of the loose ends get tied up in MGS. Particularly Grey Fox's past etc. There's been a lot of "ahh, now I see" moments in this one. Like the Frank Hunter/Jaeger - Naomi Hunter connection. I connected the two on playthrough of MG2:SS but it's nice to actually link the two through an explicit storyline now.

It never occured to me before to connect the two as I never understood Grey Fox/Cyborg Ninja because I'd never played or read about previous games. Naomi was just another character with a brother who was kicking my my ass all over the place! lol.

Anyways, that's enough of a writeup from me, I gotta save all this up for my marathon analysis!

Graphic Novel next!

...I should be finished with the Metal Gear Marathon by 2014! lol.
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Forgive the double post!

I'm now comfortably in Metal Gear Solid 4: GotP and loving every minute of it! Should finish it in the next week or so fingers crossed!

I've also FINALLY finished my writeup of MG2:SS, this one was hard for some reason, here's for hoping that the others won't take so long to write up, I just got so much to account for y'know!

Anyway, here's the link to the new section of my Metal Gear Marathon:

Metal Gear Marathon - Chapter 5 - Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Hope you guys enjoy.