Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Re: Current Project Status (12/14/08)

Post by slowbeef »

Well, I just finished Policenauts in English. What a cool game.

Anyways, there's still work to be done. I'd like to talk more with the team about whether we can call it Alpha. There's a minor bug I found I'd definitely like to fix before I call Alpha on Disc 2. But Disc 2 went WORLDS more smoothly than Disc 1 did.

We'll keep you posted, but no Alpha Disc 2 just yet.
Supergrom
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
MGS 1
MGS 2
Xbox Live: Helga03

Post by Supergrom »

8) awesome news. Just knowing that policenauts is playable in english is awesome. I'm more excited than ever. Keep up the good work guys!
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Post by Jack Stern »

Amazing news so far, can't wait to play the game in English.

I'm practicing the Shooting Range in the Private Collection and damn, some sections in the game are hard as fuck.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Merry Christmas, you crazy bastards! Love to all, and a ton of love to you, slowbeef. A fucking ton. Hope everyone has a good one!
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Hey Robert, did the end credits play okay for you?

They crashed PSX 1.13 for me (note: I'm actually talking about the original, unhacked game), and ePSXe 1.70 played them, but not well. I'm sure it'll be fine in a for real Playstation, but I'm trying to determine how much/if I should address it, since I don't want to get a million bug reports for the end credits (esp. since there's some content after them) when it's actually the emulator's fault.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

I had that problem using an .ISO and ePSXe, too.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

For the record, I had this problem on my official copy of the game, not an ISO.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I think we can all agree that slowbeef thoroughly earned the distinction of being the first person to complete the game in English.
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Post by Jack Stern »

You can lock on to targets pressing L1 and R1.

This why people should read manuals.
I play with the mouse in ePSXe so...
snatcher1996

Post by snatcher1996 »

Marc wrote:I think we can all agree that slowbeef thoroughly earned the distinction of being the first person to complete the game in English.
That's one small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind :-)

Seriously, congratulations on such a well done job!
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

slowbeef wrote:For the record, I had this problem on my official copy of the game, not an ISO.

That's the thing. I think it's a problem with the emulators themselves, then.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

seraphssavior wrote:
slowbeef wrote:For the record, I had this problem on my official copy of the game, not an ISO.

That's the thing. I think it's a problem with the emulators themselves, then.
This compatibility list for pSX specifically mentions Policenauts, with the note:
http://psx.silvanthalas.com/ntsc-j_current.html wrote:Disc 3: Emulator crashes in the ending credits of the game
... so this is definitely an emulator problem and not an isolated incident.
dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

Hello Guys,

I had myself this problem when completing my original version of policenauts. such a shame since it avoid you to see the end
credits :(

anyway, the story is so fucking good (read the encyclopedia, it even makes it better :D). I will have the sense of what i played already months ago behind the sentences.....

Can't wait the translation phase to my mother tongue :D
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Post by DOTL »

Marc wrote:I think we can all agree that slowbeef thoroughly earned the distinction of being the first person to complete the game in English.
Right, haven´t even thought about that...
Isn´t it worth to be manifested in every digital encyclopedia?

In every non-digital too, of course, but since we´ve only got access to the digital ones....

Congrats in being the first!!!
Speaking of the Emulator, as far as I remember, there were options to optimize the performance of Policenauts, which are found in various ( or most ) plugins.
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

robertwarnes91 wrote:
Jack wrote:just to be sure, do you plan to test alpha disc-1 also on a modded PSP?

My PSP is ready to be hacked and the main reason is your patch! :D
Yeah I will being trying the translation on my PSP. I played through Policenauts just fine on my PSP with no problems.
Awesome - I think I can greenlight my modder to hack mine, then. Can't wait for beta stage! :)
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

DOTL wrote: Isn´t it worth to be manifested in every digital encyclopedia?

In every non-digital too, of course, but since we´ve only got access to the digital ones....

Congrats in being the first!!!
Speaking of the Emulator, as far as I remember, there were options to optimize the performance of Policenauts, which are found in various ( or most ) plugins.
Heh, I'm pretty sure Wikipedia would list something like that as "trivia" and not hard fact, which proves they are just jerks.

Also as far as optimizing emulators to play Policenauts, I think that's mostly ePSXe because it's very configurable with all the various plugins. Pete's Soft Driver worked fine for me, and played the end credits. It got the scrolling all messed up, but the content before and after the credits played just fine.

For the record, I playtested the rest of the game in PSXrel 1.13, which is a PSX 1.13 branch that includes the ASM debugger.
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Post by akor1108 »

That is extremely good news to hear! I've been reading this board ever since it started a kajillion years ago.

I am so proud of you slowbeef. Seeing your work come to beautiful glory is always something worth remembering and sharing. DON'T LET YOUR FIRE DIE! ...live... you have to!

I want to say that people were annoyed by the progress that WASN'T made until YOU came into the program. THANKYOU SO VERY MUCH.

We need more people like you. people who WON'T give up.

by the way. I'm MetalGearAlex. go ahead and ban me again if you like. I was tired of waiting. so I have about 3 other no-names ready on different IPs. if you decide to ban this one.

You guys were honestly jerks. I was just trying to get a reaction out of somebody. I basically sacrificed myself in order to get someone to say. Hey, maybe these guys are seriously into this thing! Let's do it.

OKAY... please don't ban me. :( It's more that I'm just persistent. I am in the Navy you know. Persistence gets you along way. especially with the specific program I'm in. I am so stressed out.

This patch I have been looking forward to for ages is one of the few things I look forward to as a relief to my own hard work.

PLEASE FORGIVE ME AND LET ME BE A PART OF THIS GLORIOUS GOODNESS!
Finalfantasy7

Post by Finalfantasy7 »

oh shit, FINALLY. Can't wait to finally play it on English. Playing it in Japanese few years back was painful.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

And the award for weirdest attempt at a compliment goes to...

I know I get a bunch of credit for helping finish this, but this project was like 8 1/2 years in the making (apparently). There's a ton of R&D work behind the scenes with regards to the programmers who came before me and of course, the translation itself which I was no part of. I'm really only a small part of something much bigger, and we've only come as far as we have because others were able to bring the baton close enough to the finish line.

Really, I should be thanking people who helped program before I came on board, and people like Artemio who never gave up through the whole thing.

...But I do expect a solid-gold model of Beyond Coast from Marc and Artemio each for helping finish it. Just throwing that out there.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

by the way. I'm MetalGearAlex. go ahead and ban me again if you like. I was tired of waiting. so I have about 3 other no-names ready on different IPs. if you decide to ban this one.

Really? I can't really think of an appropriate response to this.

Anyways,

Thanks to everyone that has been involved in this project. You have my deepest gratitude.

Marc and Artemio, thank you both for starting this project and following it through. I had my doubts, but you have certainly proven me wrong. Thank you for your persistence and dedication.

Slowbeef, thank you so much for your help. You were the missing puzzle piece. Thank you for you for all of your time and hard work. You have given this translation new life.

You should all take pride in the fact the when the patch is released, gamers around the globe shall orgasm with glee at the opportunity to play Kojima's masterpiece.

Thank you all.
-Marcus
Ace Attorney

Post by Ace Attorney »

Ohhh yeah baby...
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

akor1108 wrote:I'm MetalGearAlex.
BAN HIM AGAIN. Just for the heck of it :evil:.

Hey, Alex... Do you know where sailors hang out :mrgreen:?
slowbeef wrote:And the award for weirdest attempt at a compliment goes to...
Yeah, we all know who got that. But the award for weirdest sig surely must go to Finalfantasy7.

Well, enough kidding around... Hey, Slowbeef, can you tell me if Policenauts maintains the same resolution throughout the game? Or are the FMVs in another resolution? Better yet, can you tell all resolutions the game uses?

I prefer to use the pSX emulator (which hopefully won't crash in the future), but I hate it's image output. I turn the filtering off, but it gets really crappy, unless the image "fits" well with the resolution the emu is running.

God, I hope that was understandable :(.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

robertwarnes91 wrote: Yeah the credit played perfectly on my PSP, I was using popsloader 3.71. On other the popsloaders (for two disc games) I encountered alot of freezing.

I hope the translation can run on my PSP :mrgreen: .
Good, I know a bunch of people who are gonna be running the PSP version.

For the record, there's no reason I'm currently aware of that the translation patch wouldn't run - it's all PSX code and it's all in the same space and yadda yadda yadda.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

The credits worked fine for me with ePSXe but I'm still having problems with the sound during FMV cutscenes, it's about 1-2 seconds delayed.
SnatchedExcel

Post by SnatchedExcel »

WOOOOOOOOOOO... just read SB's post from yesterday. Alpha is complete? Sounds great man, thanks for all the effort! Can't wait to play!