Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Random

Re: Current Project Status (12/19/08): Alpha Testing

Post by Random »

Slowbeef & crew! Thank you so much :D
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

Here's a preview of what the patch will eventually look like.

Okay, it's just a funny side effect of messing with animation metadata from earlier today.
Ace Attorney

Post by Ace Attorney »

akakak4747
Favorite Game: Snatcher and soon to be translated Policenauts

Post by akakak4747 »

No more pics, it's spoiling the plot! Awesome job! I long for this patch to be released. I have a copy of the game in .img, with .sub and .ccd files format. Would this be easy to change to .iso if I needed to?
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Wow

I'm so completely excited to play this game.

Thank you again.
lion589
Favorite Game: Street Fighter
Kojima games owned: penguin adventure (MSX)
MGS all games
PSN: lion589

Post by lion589 »

is this patch is going to be released in christmas?
it will be great to see it released in christmas as a Christmas present. :mrgreen:
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

slowbeef wrote:Image
:lol:

I like your sense of humor :P .
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

The patch is not coming out for Christmas, guys. We're not even at beta yet. Sorry.
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

I support the idea of sending cookies. I know you guys don't want to be paid, but surely a box of chocolate sweets would cheer you up in these holidays!

You just have to say yes (and provide an address) :)
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Yeah, sorry guys - the motorcycle scene alone pretty much killed any shot at Christmas. Telops are turning out to be a bitch too, but Scarboy's locking onto them right now. (I'm trying to help out, but right now I feel like I'm just trying to keep up.)

edit: If you're interested, I posted a slightly more technical version of our current problem on the SA forums:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... 1#lastpost
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

slowbeef wrote:Yeah, sorry guys - the motorcycle scene alone pretty much killed any shot at Christmas. Telops are turning out to be a bitch too, but Scarboy's locking onto them right now. (I'm trying to help out, but right now I feel like I'm just trying to keep up.)

edit: If you're interested, I posted a slightly more technical version of our current problem on the SA forums:

The fact that we're getting it at all is fantastic. A couple of months back we were all clamouring for any progress being made at all. It very much almost went dead. You're really a god-send, bro. I'm getting enough for Christmas off my friends and family anyways, so I certainly don't mind at all. :mrgreen:

(And please, for the sake of the patch, don't ever apologise to us again. We should get you a fucking crown and a lifetimes supply of your favourite beverage).
dirty_c
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD)
SD Snatcher (MSX)
Policenauts - Ltd Edition with game & cell art (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
MGS 2 (ps2)
MGS 3 (ps2)
MGS 4 (ps3)

Post by dirty_c »

Henry Spencer wrote:
slowbeef wrote:Yeah, sorry guys - the motorcycle scene alone pretty much killed any shot at Christmas. Telops are turning out to be a bitch too, but Scarboy's locking onto them right now. (I'm trying to help out, but right now I feel like I'm just trying to keep up.)

The fact that we're getting it at all is fantastic. A couple of months back we were all clamouring for any progress being made at all. It very much almost went dead. You're really a god-send, bro. I'm getting enough for Christmas off my friends and family anyways, so I certainly don't mind at all. :mrgreen:

(And please, for the sake of the patch, don't ever apologise to us again. We should get you a fucking crown and a lifetimes supply of your favourite beverage).
I agree, i think we all would unanimously....we deserve no apologies, if anything its us that owe you guys the apologies for hounding you, lol!
i have been trying to "obtain" old rpg's to get on with to hopefully try and shorten the wait for the patch.
any recommendations??
so far i have Xenogears, Lunar Silver Star Story, already finished all the FF's, might give Snatcher another play through :D
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Regarding Telops we have a few of them decoded so far, it is the ones that are within game data that are causing trouble.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Artemio wrote:Regarding Telops we have a few of them decoded so far, it is the ones that are within game data that are causing trouble.
Yeah, Artemio cracked the movie telops. Scarboy's writing a decompresser for the game ones now. I guess I'm back on bug hunting.
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

dirty_c wrote:i have been trying to "obtain" old rpg's to get on with to hopefully try and shorten the wait for the patch.
any recommendations??
so far i have Xenogears, Lunar Silver Star Story, already finished all the FF's, might give Snatcher another play through :D
Some Dragon Quest? How about Dragon Quest IV? Or VIII?
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Merry Christmas, all! We've been doing a bunch of work towards beta features and bug fixes, so I'd say there's probably four areas of development left to nail down.

1. Telops - This is gonna be far and away the hardest. Telops are actually drawn in a really weird way, so Scarboy's writing a decompressor. Writing the recompressor to put English ones in - that's gonna be a bit tricky to be honest with you.

2. Graphical changes - This one... probably won't be so bad. We might reach out for help when we're ready with stuff like the "Please Insert Disc 2" screen and things like that.

3. Summaries - This one won't end up as bad as I thought, but still requires some work on my part to discover how to increase things like the margins in order to accommodate the larger English summaries. I was worried we'd have to hack in pagination, but I was able to estimate how much space we'd need given the largest summary and we should have enough room with it still looking good without having to do something stupid like cut all the text in half or some shit.

4. Movies - Artemio has extraction covered, so it's a matter of getting something that will take graphics files and put them back in. This is gonna take a bunch of artwork to do the credits, but other stuff shouldn't be so bad.

If these 4 get done, we're still not completely done, because it'll be about bug fixing, script rewrites, and graphical tweaks. At that point, though, we should be able to patch the game however we want (famous last words), and all. So The Big Four are our primary focus, though I've been doing some Alpha bug fixes as well. I'd say that's the new metric to milestone. Once we get that out of the way, we'll probably finalize graphical changes (i.e. decide what looks best etc. in regards to things like name tags and all).

So basically, after the Big Four, I'll do another audit and we'll have a clearer metric by which we can measure our way to Beta, which it seems like will happen to both discs at once. (Most beta features are gonna be on disc 1.)

edit: Oh yeah. The End Credits issue. Um, I don't know if we've ultimately decided what to do about those just yet. I'd like to focus on the other four, as they're more important right now.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Could somebody answer the following question, please ?

Is the native resolution of the game 320x240 ("pumped-up" to appear as 640x480 on TV) ? Because, while the 320x240 screenshots released so far look great, the 640x480 ones look a bit too much pixelated.

I know we're talking about a game released in 1996, but still.

Or does the game look better in motion ?
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Yeah, my screencaps aren't a great benchmark - it'll look better when you play it. I blow up my emulator to 640x480 to read it more easily, but I turned off all the filtering effects because I need to do graphical work, so I need to know what it's "literally" outputting on a pixel level. (i.e. I can't work off a filtered version.)

Usually, the emulator will use filtering to smooth that out - but it should look okay on a TV.

320x240 is the Playstation's (and therefore Policenauts') resolution.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Just wanted to drop in and wish you guys a Merry Christmas.

Thanks again.
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

slowbeef wrote:320x240 is the Playstation's (and therefore Policenauts') resolution.
I know we are talking about Policenauts here, but the PSX doesn't have a default resolution (as far as I know). I've seem all kinds of weird resolutions coming from PSX games.

I'd be happy to be wrong about that. The PSX is ass to emulate because of those weird resolutions :(.
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Post by Jack Stern »

The Spoony Hou wrote:
slowbeef wrote:320x240 is the Playstation's (and therefore Policenauts') resolution.
I know we are talking about Policenauts here, but the PSX doesn't have a default resolution (as far as I know). I've seem all kinds of weird resolutions coming from PSX games.

I'd be happy to be wrong about that. The PSX is ass to emulate because of those weird resolutions :(.
What Slowbeef's trying to say, is that 320x240 is the "native" resolution of PSX's video output. In today's standards, 640x480 (480i) is the standard for analog TVs. Anyway, you can upscale the setting (in the ps3, for example) to 480p, 720p and 1080p for PSX games, but their native resolution keeps the same.

Native resolutions are meant to consider how much "space" can be displayed in a TV, IIRC
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Post by akor1108 »

LEGITIMATE QUESTION ahead!

So... I finally found a physical copy of Policenauts off of Ebay for 28 dollars and I need to know...

Will I be able to play Policenauts (patched of course! ;) on my American PS3?

I mean... I have the ISO and the EPSXE emulator fixed to the point where only the sound is 2 seconds off and everything else works beautifully on my computer... but... if I could play it on my PS3, that would be beautiful!

I am still in the Navy, and the only things I look towards for relaxation and entertainment is my 54 dollar stuffed giraffe and my PS3.

PLEASE... Artemio, Marc, Slowbeef and crew... help us enjoy this beautiful creation that is slowly coming to fruition!

let me know. I owe you my gratitude and if it didn't cause legal problems, I'd pay money for this. hands down no doubt, I would.

ALSO, like I said before, if the Konami crew or whoever tries to throw a hissy-fit on you... let everybody on this forum know (emails help!) and we promise to stop their foolishness! I would prefer if you guys, once this patch is done, maybe let Kojima know as directly as possible, and I'm certain he is genius enough to support you! You gots to have the faith!

GIGANTIC EDIT HERE: Merry Christmas and Hanuka, I honestly don't care about Kwanzaa, and Happy New Year!
Last edited by akor1108 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

akor1108 wrote:LEGITIMATE QUESTION ahead!

So... I finally found a physical copy of Policenauts off of Ebay for 28 dollars and I need to know...

Will I be able to play Policenauts (patched of course! ;) on my American PS3?

I mean... I have the ISO and the EPSXE emulator fixed to the point where only the sound is 2 seconds off and everything else works beautifully on my computer... but... if I could play it on my PS3, that would be beautiful!

I am still in the Navy, and the only things I look towards for relaxation and entertainment is my 54 dollar stuffed giraffe and my PS3.

PLEASE... Artemio, Marcus, Slowbeef and crew... help us enjoy this beautiful creation that is slowly coming to fruition!

let me know. I owe you my gratitude and if it didn't cause legal problems, I'd pay money for this. hands down no doubt, I would.

ALSO, like I said before, if the Konami crew or whoever tries to throw a hissy-fit on you... let everybody on this forum know (emails help!) and we promise to stop their foolishness! I would prefer if you guys, once this patch is done, maybe let Kojima know as directly as possible, and I'm certain he is genius enough to support you! You gots to have the faith!

GIGANTIC EDIT HERE: Merry Christmas and Hanuka, I honestly don't care about Kwanzaa, and Happy New Year!
I'm pretty sure it won't, PS3s don't read burns that well... (unless it's modded, but I don't know if anyone's ever successfully done so.)
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

PLEASE... Artemio, Marcus, Slowbeef and crew... help us enjoy this beautiful creation that is slowly coming to fruition!

Just to clarify, I have in no way helped with the patch.

I only posted my name as a show of respect for everyone has dedicated their time and effort to bring us this game.
snatchernaut
Runner
Favorite Game: snatcher

Post by snatchernaut »

the ps3 does read burnt disks but only when you remove the lid of the console and use the swap disk method.
never been a fan of doing it on the ps3. im gonna have to stick with either using my psp or pc.