Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Re: Current Project Status (12/19/08): Alpha Testing

Post by slowbeef »

Actual screenshot.

Note: If you look closely, 3 pixels of her hair are lighter than they should be. That's my fault - all the new images are built into the game out of a directory now and I kinda missed which row I was on when I edited the graphic. But, we just run a script with a directory of PNGs and boom - they're in the game. (I actually did fix it in my build, but am too lazy to capture and upload it right now.)

All telops are English, though they look like garbage because I just spent like 5 seconds typing them up in GIMP to see if it would work. It does.

Whew. 4 more minor graphical changes like the above and we can call that done, insofar as development is concerned. Then there's PAK graphics (special full-screen graphics that use RLE encoding, so should be no big deal), SHOTPAC graphics (uncompressed, and only 2 changes), and movie overlays (which Artemio is doing).

And that end credits bug of course.
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Post by DOTL »

That looks just right!!
Thats maybe an odd question, but what will you guys do after Policenauts´ translation is truly finished?
Or are you too excited to think about that right now?
maybe a little making of for gametrailers or so? :-D
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

DOTL wrote:Thats maybe an odd question, but what will you guys do after Policenauts´ translation is truly finished?
A few years of cold sleep sounds nice.
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Re: Current Project Status (1/14/09): Alpha Testing

Post by Snatcher42 »

Waiting for ya, Marc...

:evil:

Anyway, I haven't logged in for awhile, but have been following this thread and just wanted to congratulate the team on their amazing progress. It's so exciting! :)
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Looks tempting, but there's still some work left to do yet!

One thing I forgot to make clear before is that we're not censoring the game in any way. Most if not all of you will know how Snatcher was censored when it was ported to the Sega CD. Those changes were understandable for the time. We haven't altered any graphics or toned down the text in Policenauts because why would we want to?

I think that if Policenauts had been released in the mid-90s it would have certainly been censored in several ways. With this you're getting the game fully uncut.
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

Marc wrote:Looks tempting, but there's still some work left to do yet!

One thing I forgot to make clear before is that we're not censoring the game in any way. Most if not all of you will know how Snatcher was censored when it was ported to the Sega CD. Those changes were understandable for the time. We haven't altered any graphics or toned down the text in Policenauts because why would we want to?

I think that if Policenauts had been released in the mid-90s it would have certainly been censored in several ways. With this you're getting the game fully uncut.
Considering how you guys are trying to stick as closely to Kojima's original vision as possible, I don't think anyone was worried it'd be censored (then again you could go repaint all the blood grey for the UK audience.... just kidding. :P)
nomad
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Online + Gene Expansion
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders 2
PSN: eabarth

Post by nomad »

Just stumbled upon this site after looking up Policenauts. I'm looking forward to the completion of your project. I haven't played Policenauts yet, so I suppose I'll wait to play your version. Good luck, and godspeed.
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Post by akor1108 »

I honestly just received my ebay purchase of Policenauts in the mail straight from Japan.

now I can legally have an ISO of the game on my computer for my epsxe emulator!

But I was wondering if there is any way to play the game on my PS3? or do I have to emulate it on a PSP and can that be connected to the TV where I can see the game fullscreen ON MY TV?

I popped the disc in the PS3 just to see but as I figured, it said it was region locked. is there any way to mod the PS3 without taking it apart to play Japanese games?

AND I SUPPORT EVERY ONE OF YOU IN ALL YOUR EFFORTS! please don't give up.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

I don't think there's any way to make PS3 Policenauts. Being a PS3 owner myself, it'd be nice but Sony has all their shit pretty locked down with the DRM stuff on the Playstation 3. It was honestly something I'd given some thought to since you can get the game from the PSN store, but being able to mod it would be a nightmare.

Policenauts is confirmed working on a PSP emulator, so the hack should work there fine.
Supergrom
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
MGS 1
MGS 2
Xbox Live: Helga03

Post by Supergrom »

Another option for playing it on your TV if is the Xbox port of PCSX. I haven't tested it myself, but it has been reported to work fine with default settings, so I assume that it will also work once it is patched.
akor1108
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE

Post by akor1108 »

I realize now that the PS3 is too hardcore to mod now. And I am happy just having the cd's and the emulator to play them on. Don't stop working on this project or believing in the good you guys are doing.

I don't have a PSP and I am honestly trying not to buy one because I'm always busy with work.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Just get yourself a Japanese PS2, bud. That's what I did. There's a load of GREAT Japanese games that never made it to Western shores too.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Henry Spencer wrote:Just get yourself a Japanese PS2, bud. That's what I did. There's a load of GREAT Japanese games that never made it to Western shores too.
Won't he still have to have Breaker Pro or something like that to play the patched ISO disc?
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Hey guess what? XDT graphics are done! (For now)

What I mean by "for now" is of course, there might be further graphical changes in the pipeline or there might be tweaks, etc. but we own the majority of in-game graphics now and everything on our list is either done or accounted for. Hooray!

So that leaves:

PAK Graphics
Cinema Overlays
SHOTPAC Graphics
(And the end credits bug)
Kirbysuperstar
Favorite Game: Sonic 2
PSN: Kirbysuperstar
Xbox Live: Kirbysuperstar2

Post by Kirbysuperstar »

JimboKudo wrote:Won't he still have to have Breaker Pro or something like that to play the patched ISO disc?
He sure would.
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

I suggest getting a chipped PS2, because that way you can play imports of both PSX and PS2 games. And patched ISOs, of course.

By the way: Wasn't there a tool that could convert regular PSX ISOs into EBOOTs that could be played on any PSP? Dunno if this works with those new generation PSPs, but it should on the older model.

By the by the way: Most graphics cards have a TV-Out. I use mine regularly to play old console games on my TV and you should, too.
akor1108

Post by akor1108 »

So if I did get a PSP instead of a jap PS2, is there an audio and video out feature where I can plug it into my PS3 and use the PSP as a "controller" to play on my TV? If so, then now I certainly have a reason to get a PSP. I could play MGS:PO, Policenauts, and Parasite Eve 3 (when it comes out). plus I can play it on a sub! thanx for helping me out.

it's excellent know the progress you guys are making! make sure to always have a backup of a backup just in case!
Kirbysuperstar
Favorite Game: Sonic 2
PSN: Kirbysuperstar
Xbox Live: Kirbysuperstar2

Post by Kirbysuperstar »

Pizuz wrote:By the way: Wasn't there a tool that could convert regular PSX ISOs into EBOOTs that could be played on any PSP? Dunno if this works with those new generation PSPs, but it should on the older model.
It'll work on PSP-1000 and 2000 models, as long as you have custom firmware installed. No dice on the PSP-3000, at least for now.
akor1108 wrote:So if I did get a PSP instead of a jap PS2, is there an audio and video out feature where I can plug it into my PS3 and use the PSP as a "controller" to play on my TV? If so, then now I certainly have a reason to get a PSP. I could play MGS:PO, Policenauts, and Parasite Eve 3 (when it comes out). plus I can play it on a sub! thanx for helping me out.
Eh, sorta. PSP-2000 can output to DVI (monitors/HDTVs) and Component (three video cables) which is effectively what you want. PSP-3000 can also do said thing, but as I said just up above, you can't install custom firmware on it just yet, thus you can't run unsigned EBOOTs (such as converted PS1 games) on it. That being said, a used 2000 is probably cheaper anyway.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

If anyone still has an original Playstation (apparently most people don't anymore), mod-chipping them is an easy solder job plus like $10 for the chip. I'm sure you could find a unit cheap since they're pretty useless in 2008.
BIG BOSS
akakak4747
Favorite Game: Snatcher and soon to be translated Policenauts

Post by akakak4747 »

Or you can try that old swap disc method on the ps1 where you put something on the button that makes the ps1 believe the disc tray is open. Then swap an authentic disc with a copied/import disc back and forth at the appropriate times by looking at the speed of how the disc is spinning.
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

Kirbysuperstar wrote:
Pizuz wrote:By the way: Wasn't there a tool that could convert regular PSX ISOs into EBOOTs that could be played on any PSP? Dunno if this works with those new generation PSPs, but it should on the older model.
It'll work on PSP-1000 and 2000 models, as long as you have custom firmware installed. No dice on the PSP-3000, at least for now.
akor1108 wrote:So if I did get a PSP instead of a jap PS2, is there an audio and video out feature where I can plug it into my PS3 and use the PSP as a "controller" to play on my TV? If so, then now I certainly have a reason to get a PSP. I could play MGS:PO, Policenauts, and Parasite Eve 3 (when it comes out). plus I can play it on a sub! thanx for helping me out.
Eh, sorta. PSP-2000 can output to DVI (monitors/HDTVs) and Component (three video cables) which is effectively what you want. PSP-3000 can also do said thing, but as I said just up above, you can't install custom firmware on it just yet, thus you can't run unsigned EBOOTs (such as converted PS1 games) on it. That being said, a used 2000 is probably cheaper anyway.
PSP-3000 even outputs in composite. So let's hope they'll hack it sooner or later. I plan to use the Policenauts patch on my PSP 2000.
snatcher1996

Post by snatcher1996 »

akakak4747 wrote:Or you can try that old swap disc method on the ps1 where you put something on the button that makes the ps1 believe the disc tray is open. Then swap an authentic disc with a copied/import disc back and forth at the appropriate times by looking at the speed of how the disc is spinning.
I tried exactly that with a copy of my original Policenauts to confirm my hardware is all set, but it keeps freezing during the intro, just as soon as the photo of the original five Policenauts scrolls into the screen. I also tried it on a modded PS2, but the game kept freezing at that point.

Is anyone here able watch the full intro using a burnt copy of the game on a real PSX, either modded or using swap trick? If so, which program did you use burning the disc and what were the settings?
Last edited by snatcher1996 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Post by Jack Stern »

Does Policenauts work with a NTSC-US chipped PS1?
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I hope so, I've been planning on modding my ps1 for this.

I found a modchip or $17, has anyone found one cheaper?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Jack Stern wrote:Does Policenauts work with a NTSC-US chipped PS1?
Indeed it does.