Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
hyperblue

Re: Current Project Status (1/14/09): Alpha Testing

Post by hyperblue »

slowbeef wrote:hyperblue: Thanks a lot for that PSP guide. Would you mind if I reposted that elsewhere (like on the SA boards) when the patch is released or if we use that in some big "How to Play Policenauts in English" FAQ? We would, of course, totally credit you.
Thanks SlowBeef, and sure you can repost :) I wanted to contribute, and since I know PSP, Photoshop, and Video Editing, I thought I'd add to the Project what I could.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, the PSP allows you to swap discs in-game if you press the "HOME" button on the PSP. However, it only works when the game ACTUALLY requests you change the disc.
Haycob
Favorite Game: Mgs series, Probably soon to be Policenauts :D
Kojima games owned: Mgs 123 and Z.o.e games.

Post by Haycob »

Very nice contribution Hyper. Ill be needing this if I can ever get my hands on a 2000... (shouldn't have bought the 3000... :/ )

And a big arigatou gozaimasu to Slow for the update... Good luck and godspeed! :D
Omega579
Runner
Favorite Game: Street Fighter II
PSN: Omega579

Post by Omega579 »

Hey Hyperblue I got your PM. But if you haven't checked my reply, just send me the dimensions you need the wallpaper so I can resize it and send it too you.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Haycob wrote:Bush is a damn nazi... I hope Obama will be better, but his middle name is hussein... o.O
It's terribly frightening, I know! You know what kind of people are named "Hussein"? Muslims, that's who! And you know what kind of people are terrorists? That's right, Muslims again! As a matter of fact, they're ALL terrorists, every last turban-wearing one of them! Obama is obviously a terrorist in disguise, secretly plotting to let Al-Qaeda bomb this country to smithereens! You've hit the nail right on the head, my friend!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Again, guys, please keep the discussion on-topic or temp bans will have to be handed out. Feel free to continue the discussion in the Off-Topic Forum.
snatcher1996

Post by snatcher1996 »

Marc wrote:Again, guys, please keep the discussion on-topic or temp bans will have to be handed out. Feel free to continue the discussion in the Off-Topic Forum.
Thank you very much Marc.

Again, which program did you use to burn the disc that you ran on your PSX?

Cheers
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

[ -- The off topic part of this post was completely removed and a warning has been issued, please stay on topic. Any other discussion can be carried on the off-topic board -- Artemio ]

Anyways, back to the topic.

How long is Policenauts? How many hours is an average playthrough.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

It's one of those "depends" things. You could go around exploring (entirely necessary when you don't understand Japanese...) First time through though? I'd place it at about 10-15 hours.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Cool. That's long enough to develop a story and get involved, but not so long as to become obtrusive to daily life. I love a good RPG as much as the next guy but there is a point when they just become too long.
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Post by akor1108 »

keep on backing up that data!

how do I get snatcher to work on my MSX emulator?
hyperblue

Post by hyperblue »

robertwarnes91 wrote:Nice work, Hyper blue could you tell me how you created the animated icon? Mine always turn out in black and white.
Thanks!

I PM'd you my guide. FYI, this is a pretty involved process.

P.S. Artemio? Can you please delete my accidental double post?
Last edited by hyperblue on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

akor1108 wrote:keep on backing up that data!
You don't need to keep saying this, you know. We've had an SVN up for awhile now. And I've backed up the translation files in multiple locations since the beginning.
Stratoslava
Favorite Game: Perhaps Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, Policenauts (Sat & PSX)
Location: Argentina (where's that? South America, you %&%&!!!)

Post by Stratoslava »

Man, ever since I read him, this akor guy talks like he would hang himself for the patch!
But it was a good recommendation, nonetheless

Hey, offtopicizing (?) a little: I wrote a post asking if there's been any kind of updates regarding the PCENGINE Snatcher's translation.

Of course I assume all your coding might is focused on this project, but...
Titties & Beers!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Stratoslava wrote:Hey, offtopicizing (?) a little: I wrote a post asking if there's been any kind of updates regarding the PCENGINE Snatcher's translation.

Here is the thread for that discussion.

We aren't going to be doing anything else with it until Policenauts is finished.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

If I ever do another Kojima fan project, it would probably be Snatcher-related, but to be honest, Policenauts is killing any desire I've had to do a second ROM hack project in my life.

Maybe a side-scroller. I'll call it "I Wanna Be A Junker"

(22 to go abouts.)
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

If that turns out anything like "I Wanna be the Guy", I'll have to kill you. I was barely able to get away from the original, and if you throw Snatcher into the mix, I'll never be able to put it down...
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Stratoslava
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, Policenauts (Sat & PSX)

Post by Stratoslava »

Marc wrote:
Stratoslava wrote:Hey, offtopicizing (?) a little: I wrote a post asking if there's been any kind of updates regarding the PCENGINE Snatcher's translation.

Here is the thread for that discussion.

We aren't going to be doing anything else with it until Policenauts is finished.
Yes I know the thread, in fact I wrote the mentioned post there; but since I didn't get any response at all... oh well.

Oh Slowbeef, you just killed (in my mind) any hope for the saturn Policenaut's patch :cry:
It's so understandable, I mean, if I were you guys, I wouldn't feel like going through this hell ever again! (at least with this title)... but I'm very happy with the upcoming PSX port, obviously enough!

BTW: 22 bugs left? YAY!
Titties & Beers!
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I don[t want to get your hopes up regarding a Saturn version. Neither I want them to be crushed.

I understand why slowbeef wouldn't want to work on it, but I will go through with the project being ported over. It will eb a matter of getting a skille dprogrammer, which will probably be around segaxtreme...

We'll see, I'll keep around as I have always done. Eventhough if I am not a key piece due to my limited time, I can keep the project alive with Junker HQ and Policenauts.net
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
NASAchusetts

Post by NASAchusetts »

Thanks to everyone involved in translating this project, I have also lurked around JunkerHQ and this forum for years awaiting this release, and now that it is so close to completion, I check this forum twice a day. I've noticed alot of people are going to be playing this on either emulation and LCD displays. For the best playing experience, I would highly recommend that everyone plays this on a CRT television instead of LCD and plasmas as it was originally meant to be played. PSX games just look god awful on flat screen displays.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

I think I was just doing more whining than actual solidifying of future plans.

But for the record right now is absolutely the worst time to ask me if I want to spend a couple months working on Policenauts. :)

edit: Also, bug count is now 21.
Stratoslava

Post by Stratoslava »

LOL, well... even if you feel like beating the hell out of Konami programming staff right know, you might as well start to develop some kind of urge to work on sat's too. I mean, you've been at it for 7 years now... won't you feel a bit "empty"? :lol:
Just kidding 8)

21, Great!
Artemio wrote:I don[t want to get your hopes up regarding a Saturn version. Neither I want them to be crushed.

I understand why slowbeef wouldn't want to work on it, but I will go through with the project being ported over. It will eb a matter of getting a skille dprogrammer, which will probably be around segaxtreme...

We'll see, I'll keep around as I have always done. Eventhough if I am not a key piece due to my limited time, I can keep the project alive with Junker HQ and Policenauts.net
That sounds good enough to me =)
Titties & Beers!
snatchernaut
Runner
Favorite Game: snatcher

Post by snatchernaut »

With 21 as a bug count I was wondering how stable
The game was in the beggining before you took on the project.
By this I mean did you notice many. Bugs before fiddling around.
I'm just curious to how how well developed it was in the first place.
Good work by the way
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

I don't think the term 'bug' applied at that time, since the main objective then was hacking the game to handle the strings needed to actually fit the translated text into it. And identifying the last missing portions of text hidden somewhere on the disc (e.g. video subtitles, audio subtitles, character introductions aka 'telops'). In general it changed from "unplayable" to "buggy" after these issues were resolved (or pre-alpha to alpha).
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

snatchernaut wrote:With 21 as a bug count I was wondering how stable
The game was in the beggining before you took on the project.
By this I mean did you notice many. Bugs before fiddling around.
I'm just curious to how how well developed it was in the first place.
Good work by the way
Oh, poetry?
snatchernaut
Runner
Favorite Game: snatcher

Post by snatchernaut »

what was meant by that spoony?

and i was only wondering. i have played through the game on many occasions. i was just wondering on how many items you have come across which you would consider to be a bug in the game with the translation as opposed to those if any that were originally in the game anyway!