Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Marc
General

Re: Current Project Status (1/14/09): Alpha Testing

Post by Marc »

NASAchusetts wrote:
Jack Stern wrote:My mistake, PS1 can't handle component. You could use the Swap Magic cd version and use it on the ps2 with component.
Actually, the swap magic cd version cannot boot PSX games. The only way to play it on the PS2 would be to modify or use breaker pro. To my knowledge, breaker pro works on the PS2 and PS1 but not the new slim PS2.
I used to use Breaker Pro on my slim PS2 (made in 2005).
RMF
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid / Link's Awakening
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Snatcher
Policenauts
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid Gameboy
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Acid*
Metal Gear Acid 2*
Metal Gear Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4

Post by RMF »

I live in the UK and use my PAL PS1 via scart (RGB). It's the best image you are going to get from a PS1. It's worth noting that by best I mean sharpest. But sharpest isn't necessarily better as it highlights all the jaggies and nasty shading methods the PS1 uses. This is even more noticeable on a LCD/plasma, I find PS1 games look best on a regular CRT TV - 'softens' the image. Don't get hung up on the scart/svideo/component subject as it really doesn't make any difference as the games resolution is considerable less than regular tv and besides the average jo without bionic vision wouldn't care, just enjoy the game!

khmr33 - A chipped PAL PS1 playing a jap game outputs NTSC (60hz) but 99% of our TVs can handle NTSC so the image is fine - these days.
khmr33
Favorite Game: Radiant Silvergun
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear NES
Snatcher CDRomantic
Snatcher Sega CD
Snatcher Sega Saturn
Policenauts PS The Best
Policenauts Sega Saturn
Metal Gear Solid US PS1 Black Bar
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions US PS1
Bleemcast! Metal Gear Solid
Zone Of The Enders US PS2 w/Demo
Zone Of The Enders Premium Package JP PS2
Metal Gear Solid 2 US PS2 Black Bar
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance US PS2
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance US Xbox
The Document Of Metal Gear Solid 2
Zone Of The Enders: The Second Runner US PS2
Boktai The Sun Is In Your Hand
Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 3 US PS2
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Special Edition US PS2
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1
Metal Gear Solid 4 Special Edition US PS3
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2 (sealed)
PSN: khmr33
Xbox Live: khmr33

Post by khmr33 »

OK, cool. I'll probably stick with S-Video then on my SCPH-1001. Which returns to another question... boot disc, swap trick, or can you even find a PS1 mod chip anymore?
RMF
Metal Gear 2
Snatcher
Policenauts
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid Gameboy
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Acid*
Metal Gear Acid 2*
Metal Gear Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4

Post by RMF »

I'll be using a chipped PS1, I think you'll have difficulties (impossible? depends how the game lets you save) switching to the second disc if you use a boot disc, the swap trick is a pain in the backside and you'll probably end up scratching your original discs. I recommend that you pick up a chipped PS1 of ebay, in the UK you can get them for about £5-10 now, I'm sure the prices will be similar in the US. There are a few fishy places to buy a mod chip on the net but they cost more than an ebay PS1 so not worth the risk or effort installing in my opinion.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

You can find Saturn mod chips online still, so I'm sure you can get PSX ones pretty cheap. Mine was $15 in 1998 :P so I doubt a stealth one today would be more than that. They're really easy solder jobs too.

khmr33: Your DC setup sounds cool but DC 3s is not very good. Now that CPSIII is emulated (aaaand you can play it online over GGPO/2Df) you'd be better off just hooking a PC up for fighters.

edit: regarding SCART -- I have my Genesis running through a box that inputs SCART and outputs component. I think you can use something like that for any games system, but then you won't have audio unless the SCART cable has a separate dongle thing with audio outs, like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Play-PSX-Sc ... B000058EJT
BIG BOSS
Stratoslava
Favorite Game: Perhaps Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, Policenauts (Sat & PSX)
Location: Argentina (where's that? South America, you %&%&!!!)

Post by Stratoslava »

RMF wrote:I live in the UK and use my PAL PS1 via scart (RGB). It's the best image you are going to get from a PS1. It's worth noting that by best I mean sharpest. But sharpest isn't necessarily better as it highlights all the jaggies and nasty shading methods the PS1 uses. This is even more noticeable on a LCD/plasma, I find PS1 games look best on a regular CRT TV - 'softens' the image. Don't get hung up on the scart/svideo/component subject as it really doesn't make any difference as the games resolution is considerable less than regular tv and besides the average jo without bionic vision wouldn't care, just enjoy the game!

khmr33 - A chipped PAL PS1 playing a jap game outputs NTSC (60hz) but 99% of our TVs can handle NTSC so the image is fine - these days.
I had a pal & modded PS1, and all the games I had where in NTSC. It worked flawlessly. (I did have some issues playing PAL ones, not from the console but from the tv... and all I had to do was rescanning the AV with the remote control)
Titties & Beers!
khmr33
Snatcher CDRomantic
Snatcher Sega CD
Snatcher Sega Saturn
Policenauts PS The Best
Policenauts Sega Saturn
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2

Post by khmr33 »

Oh good, I suppose the PAL/NTSC problems were alot worse back in the day. (You guys would have to tell us which day that is though, my facts are clearly foggy).

Ghaleon, I bet the Genesis looks pretty good through SCART... I gave up on trying to make my Gen1 Genesis & Frontloader Sega CD look good a long time ago. Kega Fusion works so well, I can't even justify hooking the system up anymore. I should really get a couple of USB Saturn pads to play my emu stuff though... the PC X360 controller works but only so well.

I'm also very curious as to the differences between the DC and CPSIII SFIII 3rd Strike. I tried looking up info but most places just say "arcade perfect" or if there are any complaints at all it's the change in resolution which can changed on boot up. I don't want to steer the thread too far off topic, so PM me if you think it's appropriate. I figure we'll be back on topic after the next status update.

I suppose I could add a PC to my little arcade experiment. It would mean I'd have to either modify my existing DC sticks to operate as DC and USB PC controllers (if that's possible) or get two more DC sticks and gut them for PC use. I built the frame for the sticks to hold as close as possible so they wouldn't scoot around. Once I finish the base, which will be weighted, the controllers won't move at all. The base will replace that shelf in the setup picture, though I'm going to include at least one shelf for drinks and maybe move the speakers inside. I'll move on to design a cabinet for the monitor after that's done (should clean the house first though, heh).
Attachments
Top layer of wood thick enough to hold stick in place.
Top layer of wood thick enough to hold stick in place.
Fit was as close as possible. May make one more with better wood and more accurate tools.
Fit was as close as possible. May make one more with better wood and more accurate tools.
This is rough prototype stage, before I got my sticks upgraded, before frame was finished. The goal was a functional frame without spending any money.
This is rough prototype stage, before I got my sticks upgraded, before frame was finished. The goal was a functional frame without spending any money.
RMF
Metal Gear 2
Snatcher
Policenauts
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid Gameboy
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Acid*
Metal Gear Acid 2*
Metal Gear Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4

Post by RMF »

That's quite interesting but a tad off topic! :?
Stratoslava
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, Policenauts (Sat & PSX)

Post by Stratoslava »

That's kinda cool...
but how's a dc arcade stick & Street Fighter 3rd strike related to Policenauts?
Titties & Beers!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Yes, please stay on-topic, guys. Just because there isn't any news at the moment doesn't make the thread open game.
khmr33
Snatcher CDRomantic
Snatcher Sega CD
Snatcher Sega Saturn
Policenauts PS The Best
Policenauts Sega Saturn
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2

Post by khmr33 »

No worries... this was being discussed at the same time as a couple of other subjects which were related. We can continue the rest of it in PM or off topic. All of my other concerns had been addressed already so thank you for that.
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Post by akor1108 »

Happy Valentine's Day!

I love yous and thanks yous for doings this.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

akor1108 wrote:Happy Valentine's Day!

I love yous and thanks yous for doings this.
I love you too, akor1108.

20 bugs to go.
XenoMorph
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

20 more holes in my soul left to close up... Then Hideo Kojima produced gaming bliss.

On a related note, any good psx emulators for OS X? I just bought a macbook and it would be great to be able to play policenauts on the fly :)
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
akor1108
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE

Post by akor1108 »

thanks for lovings meez.

it only makes me want to pay for this project more.

I'll name the next undiscovered species that I will maybe discover someday after this site. junkherqusliowbeef
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

XenoMorph wrote:20 more holes in my soul left to close up... Then Hideo Kojima produced gaming bliss.

On a related note, any good psx emulators for OS X? I just bought a macbook and it would be great to be able to play policenauts on the fly :)
Well, pSXauthor promised that a friend of his would work on a Mac port of his emulator. Dunno when that is gonna happen, though. In the meantime you can get a Macintosh port of PCSX on this site (not Richard Bannister's one, as I falsely stated, earlier), which might be able to run the game. Oh, and this "release" dates back to 2005, so it'll probably be PowerPC, only. Good luck for all those Intel users (including myself) trying to make that thing run at acceptable speeds through Rosetta...

There will be a definitive emulation guide once the patch is out, anyway.
d to the p
Favorite Game: rez
Kojima games owned: mgs ad nauseum

Post by d to the p »

representing 913, 816, and 722 hurr:

Been waiting for this one for a few bullets now. It warms my heart to know that a few benevolent souls are making this happen. I can only guess at their true motivation - perhaps global dekonstruktion, 'long live the new flesh', covert brainwave distortion - no one can say for sure. Regardless of their underlying maniacal schemes, I consider myself grateful. Oddly enough my neighbor is glad as well. We're behind you entirely, so keep up the good work!
hyperblue

Post by hyperblue »

Pizuz wrote:
XenoMorph wrote:20 more holes in my soul left to close up... Then Hideo Kojima produced gaming bliss.

Well, pSXauthor promised that a friend of his would work on a Mac port of his emulator. Dunno when that is gonna happen, though. In the meantime you can get a Macintosh port of PCSX on this site (not Richard Bannister's one, as I falsely stated, earlier), which might be able to run the game. Oh, and this "release" dates back to 2005, so it'll probably be PowerPC, only. Good luck for all those Intel users (including myself) trying to make that thing run at acceptable speeds through Rosetta...

There will be a definitive emulation guide once the patch is out, anyway.
Best Results via Windows BootCamp or VM:
Being on a Mac as well, the best thing I can suggest is to use is Bootcamp and run Windows XP via a dual boot. Otherwise, you can install this Application http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/ and launch a Windows PSX emulator from your Dock. Both options require you to install Windows XP though.

Get it Running on a Mac:
There is a beta of a universal binary of PCSX located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... opic=26827
If you have a G5, that's another story, PCSX should run fine: http://pcsx.gpost.dk/download.php
And, of course, you'll need a BIOS (not my files): http://rapidshare.com/files/19825770/scph1000.zip

Note: I can say, right off the bat with PCSX that the video studders like crazy when reading video files directly off the CD. What I did to fix this is I made a disc image of the PSX CD and mounted it using Toast's "Mount Disc Image..." option from Toast's "Ulities" menu.

Bonus: You can now use your PS3 gamepad via the USB port with PCSX.
http://rapidshare.de/files/40995008/driver.tar.bz2.html
Instructions: 1.) Connnect sixaxis to usb port
2.) Run sixaxis-init: if the program finds and initializes the sixaxis gamepad, press PS button.
3.) Go to the Preferences of PCSX and configure the button mapping.
Last edited by hyperblue on Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akor1108

Post by akor1108 »

so I got a computer-to-monitor "replacement cable" and the picture is excellent on my hdtv.

i can now play Policenaut's emulated on my computer and see it on the tv. I'm all set for the patch!

Keep up the goodwork slowbeef and crew. no offense, Slowbeef honestly got this project back on its feet.

but thanks for all of you for never giving up on the project.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

I promised you guys a better status update on or around Valentine's Day, huh?

Well, I don't really have one. The road to Beta is longer than I thought it would be - mainly because all the little detail stuff is turning out somewhat ugly. Adding/removing menu options for example, is a lot uglier than actually translating them (which is unexpected because translating them was pretty ugly, too.)

We're at 19 things to beta, which is nice.

What can I say? Konami stuff is notoriously difficult to romhack for a reason. I wish I'd found that out before I agreed to do this. ;)

At any rate, yeah, we're still working on it - I'd say we're about three weeks out to getting that list to zero. Maybe. I dunno. It's difficult, but we're doing what we can.

Fun fact - earlier, someone had asked "Will the hack be finished by the time this page hits 100?"

I'd told Artemio that I wanted to say "Absolutely" and then have him lock the thread on page 99.

*drum clap*

Maybe by page 120.
Stratoslava

Post by Stratoslava »

slowbeef wrote:Fun fact - earlier, someone had asked "Will the hack be finished by the time this page hits 100?"

I'd told Artemio that I wanted to say "Absolutely" and then have him lock the thread on page 99.

*drum clap*

Maybe by page 120.

You know... I went on holidays, around page 90 or less. I really thought the same thing!. In that time, overall progress just went like "BOOM!", I even regretted (so sorry if the verb is misconjugated) to forget my policenauts' copy at home! haha

Anyways... 19 bugs to go! yay!
Titties & Beers!
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Make that 17.
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

slowbeef wrote:Make that 17.
Sweet Jews for Jesus!
akor1108

Post by akor1108 »

let's hope it's not the end of the world yet.

we gots to gets this patch!

thanks again.

"make that 17" teehee! I laugh.
fairuza

Post by fairuza »

since about november or december i've been thinking a patch will be released around april 1st at the rate things are progressing. except if it was released on april 1st no one would believe it. :)