Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Re: Current Project Status (1/14/09): Alpha Testing

Post by slowbeef »

87th wrote:You could see it as being in the same universe, but no more so than Snatcher and pre-Solid MetalGear.
This is gonna be one of the nerdiest things I've ever written, but what fucks up any sort of Snatcher/MG connection is the Catastrophe - no one ever mentions it or refers to it, although in MGS, Chernoton is one of the targets Liquid Snake mentions nuking along with Tokyo and New York.

What fucks up an MGS/Policenauts connection is Meryl - she's said to have worked in FOX-HOUND on Earth, buuut... well, Policenuats takes place in 2040, so you get this sorta "shouldn't Meryl be a lot older" thing going on, and you've got events in MGS4 that kinda screw with that too.

I guess Snatcher/Policenauts could exist in the same world, if you really wanted to draw a connection, but the events of the two are so disparate that you don't get any sort of concrete clues to it. Plus, Snatcher takes place 7 years after Policenauts, so there's not much conclusion you can draw. You get fun little Snatcher references in the game (Random Hajile being in the background of the Lorraine dying scene), but there's nothing you do like "Hey, we got this random order from the chief - we're to fire a phased particle beam at some place in Neo Kobe?"
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

I'm lying. Everyone on Beyond Coast is a Snatcher.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Policenauts is to Snatcher as Soldier is to Blade Runner.

Okay, that's a terrible analogy, but it's kinda true. No direct link but contains peripheral connections.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Originally saw this in a magazine. Check out the emblem on his sleeve.

ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Hmm, who "inspired" who?
What's the date of that photo? Altough I'm guessing it's more recent than Policenauts.
That's a pretty cool find, regardless.

EDIT: Ok, that's from the STS-121 mission, which occurred in 2006.

EDIT2: Here's another photo that features the same logo: photo.
Found it on this site, which has 4 of the logo patches used, but not the one we want.

EDIT3: A lot more photos here.
Well, I guess it was just a cool patch they found out and decided to use it.
Last edited by ShinjiPG on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I really doubt it was inspired by Policenauts. I think it's just a coincidence.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

It's a cool coincidence, regardless.
Anyway, I found out they have been using that patch since (at least) 1983. So it was Policenauts that "copied" the symbol.

EDIT: This explains a lot.

EDIT2: Found it. It's called EVA Patch and it's used in almost all EVA suits. At least the ones related with NASA.
Last edited by ShinjiPG on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I've been slow on work for the project due to time, specifically I've been working on reinserting the new intro credits for the game. Today I made some progress though. We already are able to insert the new images, but some of them were simply not displaying in game. I believe I found out why that is, I'll try and fix it tonight and let you guys know.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

ShinjiPG wrote:It's a cool coincidence, regardless.
Anyway, I found out they have been using that patch since (at least) 1983. So it was Policenauts that "copied" the symbol.

EDIT: This explains a lot.

EDIT2: Found it. It's called EVA Patch and it's used in almost all EVA suits.
That makes more sense.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Today's a pretty good day for Policenauts in general then. We're down to 11! Woohoo!

Maybe 13 really was unlucky after all.
akakak4747
Favorite Game: Snatcher and soon to be translated Policenauts

Post by akakak4747 »

Almost time to count down from 10!
Fly
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Kojima games owned: Physical copies:

Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions, Metal Gear Solid (GB), Metal Gear Solid 2: SoL, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: PO, MPO+, Metal Gear Solid 4: GotP, Metal Gear Ac!d, Metal Gear Ac!d 2, Zone of the Enders Ape Escape 3.

ROMs:

Snatcher (MSX), Snatcher (Sega CD), SD Snatcher, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand

WANTED HORRIBLY:

ROM of Metal Gear Solid Mobile!

Post by Fly »

slowbeef wrote:
87th wrote:You could see it as being in the same universe, but no more so than Snatcher and pre-Solid MetalGear.
This is gonna be one of the nerdiest things I've ever written, but what fucks up any sort of Snatcher/MG connection is the Catastrophe - no one ever mentions it or refers to it, although in MGS, Chernoton is one of the targets Liquid Snake mentions nuking along with Tokyo and New York.
I remember, after a fit of sleep deprivation, coming up with a surprisingly coherent fanwank that Solid Snake and Gillian Seed were the same person, and the point at which the universes split off is that in the MG universe some other CIA agent was sent in to deal with the Snatcher issue. It worked timelineishly and everything. Biggest spanner in the works was Harry, but even he complained about how he had advanced ageing and such -

- I felt really filthy when I came to, but I'll admit I'm still half-convinced of the theory.
The Prince II
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (kinda)
Metal Gear (kinda)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Post by The Prince II »

Marc wrote:Originally saw this in a magazine. Check out the emblem on his sleeve.

Uh, US flag?
HIT ME WITH YOUR RYTHM STICK! HIT ME! HIT ME!
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

The Prince II wrote:
Marc wrote:Originally saw this in a magazine. Check out the emblem on his sleeve.

Uh, US flag?
The other arm.

slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Look at the full-sized image and check the 9:00 position in his faceplate reflection (meaning left horizontal). His right arm is reflected in the helmet and you can see the Vitruvian Astronaut.
Aardvark Soup

Post by Aardvark Soup »

If you really want to see a connection between those games why not theorize that Boktai, Metal Gear Ac!d and Zone of the Enders also take place in the same universe? I'm curious if someone would be able to come up with a plausible theory that combines all of Kojima's games:P
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Aardvark Soup wrote:If you really want to see a connection between those games why not theorize that Boktai, Metal Gear Ac!d and Zone of the Enders also take place in the same universe?
I would have thought those series of connections obvious.
Spoiler:
I have never played Boktai, ZOE, or AC!D
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

slowbeef wrote:
Spoiler:
I have never played Boktai, ZOE, or AC!D
Spoiler:
GET ZOE!!! Really! Especially the second one is pure gold.
khmr33
Favorite Game: Radiant Silvergun
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear NES
Snatcher CDRomantic
Snatcher Sega CD
Snatcher Sega Saturn
Policenauts PS The Best
Policenauts Sega Saturn
Metal Gear Solid US PS1 Black Bar
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions US PS1
Bleemcast! Metal Gear Solid
Zone Of The Enders US PS2 w/Demo
Zone Of The Enders Premium Package JP PS2
Metal Gear Solid 2 US PS2 Black Bar
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance US PS2
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance US Xbox
The Document Of Metal Gear Solid 2
Zone Of The Enders: The Second Runner US PS2
Boktai The Sun Is In Your Hand
Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 3 US PS2
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Special Edition US PS2
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1
Metal Gear Solid 4 Special Edition US PS3
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2 (sealed)
PSN: khmr33
Xbox Live: khmr33

Post by khmr33 »

Oh slowbeef... you have so much work to do when you're finished with Policenauts.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

It's completely ridiculous of me to contend I'm not a big Kojima fanboy what with the ROMhack and all (getting closer on another bug, by the by - hoping to have it done today), but in all honesty, I'd call myself more of a giant Snatcher fan if anything.

That said, I've heard ZOE is beyond awesome and I do have one of them I bought for the MGS2 demo at the time. Just never played it for whatever reason.

Actually, the ROMhack project takes a lot of my game-playing time in general. I haven't even finished Mirror's Edge for God's sake. I will say though, I probably know no game better than Policenauts now.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

slowbeef wrote:It's completely ridiculous of me to contend I'm not a big Kojima fanboy what with the ROMhack and all (getting closer on another bug, by the by - hoping to have it done today), but in all honesty, I'd call myself more of a giant Snatcher fan if anything.
Of course, we all remember your Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake "walkthrough". :mrgreen:
slowbeef wrote:That said, I've heard ZOE is beyond awesome and I do have one of them I bought for the MGS2 demo at the time. Just never played it for whatever reason.
I only played the second one, which was great, except for the spoilerific video which plays before the title screen and the short length of the main mode (but they've implemented a ton of V.R. missions to compensate).
Fly
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Kojima games owned: Physical copies:

Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions, Metal Gear Solid (GB), Metal Gear Solid 2: SoL, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: PO, MPO+, Metal Gear Solid 4: GotP, Metal Gear Ac!d, Metal Gear Ac!d 2, Zone of the Enders Ape Escape 3.

ROMs:

Snatcher (MSX), Snatcher (Sega CD), SD Snatcher, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand

WANTED HORRIBLY:

ROM of Metal Gear Solid Mobile!

Post by Fly »

slowbeef wrote:I will say though, I probably know no game better than Policenauts now.
You're an absolute martyr. I mean, I'm a huge Kojima fan, but the thought of spending that much time playing a game over and over and over and over just to find one thing that doesn't work if you approach it from one angle just - I'd never be able to do it, and I'm proud that you can.

By the way, I know it's old, but I absolutely love your MG2 'walkthrough'. I still reread it when I have a bad day and need cheering up. Also, I don't know if you know, but the segment of MGS fandom I hang around in only needs to go 'Snake!' 'Fox!' to each other to crack themselves up, so you've started a little meme there.
neoryu

Post by neoryu »

I just strated and finished this weekend the SegaCD version of Snatcher on my PSP picodrive, and finished the Policenauts prologue on EPSXE to see how it looks on an emulator, and I hope the beta version will be out soon. This game looks really great.

Thanks for the effort translating this game.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

neoryu wrote:I hope the beta version will be out soon.
Just a reminder that it's an internal beta, so you'll have to wait for full release before you can play it.

That said, I can't wait until beta either.
Fly wrote: MG2 'walkthrough'.
Who'd have thought three-four years after mocking a Kojima ROM hack, I'd be making my own. I think this means whoever makes fun of PSX Policenauts has to finish the PC Engine Snatcher ROM hack.
neoryu

Post by neoryu »

Just one more question, when finished the alpha testing, will the internal beta testing be focused on the entire game or first on CD1 and then CD2 so the CD1 patch can be released before the CD2 one?

Thanks