What type of game should the next MGS be? (If it gets made)

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.

What type of game should the next potential MGS game be?

A direct sequel, following the events after MGS4.
9%
A prequel.
9%
A remake.
17%
A stand-alone, non-canon game, like Ghost Babel.
9%
No more MGS games!
57%

Total votes: 23

snatchernaut
Runner
Favorite Game: snatcher

Re: What type of game should the next MGS be? (If it gets made)

Post by snatchernaut »

i think it needs flipping around, instead of playing as solid snake i think we should have a game where we play as liquid or ocelot trying to stop snake foiling plans. im sick of always being a good guy!
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Henry Spencer wrote:Read this:
http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm

Should make things clearer on what I meant.

Recycle, recycle, recycle.
It's not like I'm attempting to trash the series or anything since I love most of it, it's just if it wasn't for the incredible storyline, I feel the gameplay rehash would prove to be more noticeable, sure they add new layers in each game, since the technology allows them to recreate certain scenes, but as the series has gone on, it has become more notable to me. Which is especially why I feel the series must end, now. But alas it will not, as long as Konami keep their foothold on Kojima Productions.
Thanks for the pics.
I was aware that there are indeed similar scenes in both games, but the order of events is different and most of all, it's only logical to share elements between related games. Also, at the end of MGS2 the characters imply that it was all a repetition of what happened during MGS1, something that doesn't happen at the end of MGS1, so that's already one point that distinguishes both games.
But anyway, I completely understand your point and I'm having a hard time understanding the boundaries that constitute a remake. For example, the new Evangelion movies are supposed to be remakes (as is evident with the first movie), but the inclusion of a new character in the 2nd movie and other important changes make it look like a completely new thing, or a alternate universe thing. Same happens with FMA2.
I guess remake simply implies that something is going to be done again, wether it only consists of changing the hair color of the main character or changing the entire planet where the story takes place.

Recycle is a better term =P
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Yeah, I think recycle is a better term too. And don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to be an ass about it. I just always felt that it was Kojima's intention for MGS2 to reflect on MGS1 in more ways than one. It makes it all the more ironic when people say they hated MGS2, since it's quite similar to MGS1.