Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Re: Current Status (4/26/09): 1 Bug Till Beta

Post by Jack Stern »

I dunno if this was already asked, but does the bug occur on the real hardware, btw?
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

It does not occur on hardware, and apparently should work okay on the PSP.
DefaultGen

Post by DefaultGen »

My mouth is still watering from Q4 2007. The end is nigh-ish.
XenoMorph
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

Have you tried the patch on different plugins? Just crossed my mind that maybe the ending credits bug is related to a graphics/sound-plugin or some other nonsense? Not that I would know anything about emulation, mind. I'm just Finnish.

About PSP, I thought PSP runs ps1 games "natively", that game support is integrated into Sony's own firmware itself? I mean, isn't Policenauts available for download in the japanese PSN store for the PSP and PS3? If so, policenauts on a modded PSP Slim with video output to TV = Win.

Man, I'd club a baby seal for this patch to come out right now.

P.S. No, I wouldn't. Baby seals are too cute.

P.P.S. Well, maybe a really cute rat.

P.P.P.S. Actually, scratch that, clubbing things really isn't my thing.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
HorseFactory

Post by HorseFactory »

About PSP, I thought PSP runs ps1 games "natively", that game support is integrated into Sony's own firmware itself?
Yeah, the ps1 emulator is part of current Sony firmwares. It still aint perfect - you sometimes have to tinker with running different versions to get some games to load right - custom firmwares configured right let you choose one from a menu before running a ps1 game.
I mean, isn't Policenauts available for download in the japanese PSN store for the PSP and PS3? If so, policenauts on a modded PSP Slim with video output to TV = Win.
Yeah, Policenauts is on the Japanese PSN!
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

snatchernaut wrote:actually you can buy a mouse for the psx.
Yeah, that's really convenient. :|

EDIT:
http://www.aep-emu.de/PNphpBB2-file-vie ... -2472.html
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/psx-plugin- ... post907152

Supposedly works on PCSX. Will try this out later.
neoryu

Post by neoryu »

slowbeef wrote:It does not occur on hardware, and apparently should work okay on the PSP.
Have you tryied both running it on PSX and PS2?

Also if the bug is in the credits sequence and the final sequence is right, then it's not a big deal... unless the game is replayable from a savedgame... or if it show something important at the end of the credits...
Supergrom
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
MGS 1
MGS 2
Xbox Live: Helga03

Post by Supergrom »

I haven't played the game, but from what everyone has said there is at least something of interest, if not something of importance in the end credits. Even if I'm mistaken, Marc just said that it would definitely bother them if the game still had that blatant of a bug, so there is "no sense rushing this issue." So keep up the good work guys. I'm ready whenever you are :mrgreen:
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Post by akor1108 »

This is not spam. this is motivation! Telling you to be your own man and don't settle for less! None of this patch would have been possible without someone taking the initiative. This poem also basically says that since WE are unable to make this patch happen, we are highly dependent upon you people. And this is how it feels to suck.

Independence,
Free from attendants.
You have a lot to live for
But to give it up for help hints
Is dependence…
And please don’t be offended,
But taking life for granted
Will give you no advantage
In the long run…
For others would like to have it,
But they work on their own
In order to surpass it.
And would you accept it?

If you had abused your friendship
End up helpless,
Left alone to regret it?
I would fret it!
For it’s knowledge…
That gets the student through college,
It saves the human race,
And has prevented it from falling.
It’s evolution…
The passing of one’s seed,
And if you have nothing to share
Then call it poverty or greed.
For being able…
To live without a cable,
Means problems can be solved
By the light on your table.
And if disabled…
Help is better than a guess,
But don’t rely to heavily
On those who achieve success.
And I confess…
I once was a mess.
I let myself down and entered into stress
Because I digressed…
Into a boy that ended up with less
Instead of a man that could be able to invest
In his own best--
Achieving money, women, travel, and the rest.
Didn’t become a pest
But put his mind, body, soul to the test.
In a world…
Where it’s better to be a servant than a guest,
Providing for yourself
And others
Equals happiness!

No more sentence,
Start with independence.
pablo
Favorite Game: zelda

Post by pablo »

Great job guys! I'm stoked.

So it occurred to me, since this bug is at the very end, does it really prevent you from going beta? Couldn't the bug be worked on without effecting the beta?
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

... boy did I ever fall off the wagon! sorry guys. :(

Already down to the last one, huh? Well let's just say I'm already prepared to play it, the patch just needs to come out! :D

good luck! :mrgreen:
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

pablo wrote:Great job guys! I'm stoked.

So it occurred to me, since this bug is at the very end, does it really prevent you from going beta? Couldn't the bug be worked on without effecting the beta?
Yes it does, since it is a bug. This has also been answered before.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Randam Hajile
Favorite Game: Super Metroid
Kojima games owned: -Policenauts
-Snatcher (Sega CD)
-Metal Gear Solid I
-Metal Gear Solid II - Substance
-Metal Gear Solid III - Subsistence
-Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
-Zone of Enders 2: The Second Runner

Post by Randam Hajile »

Gee, settle down guys. We're already a bunch of lucky people for Marc and the crew to be working on this project for free and nearing it's completion. We're all crazy to play it, but that's no reason to keep asking the same questions over and over again. When they're done with that final bug -and any more bugs that may eventually pop up- they'll move to beta. I'm sure they want to finish this project just as much as we want to play it. Just wait for it.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Randam Hajile wrote:I'm sure they want to finish this project just as much as we want to play it.
Somebody give this guy a cigar.
pablo
Favorite Game: zelda

Post by pablo »

Yeesh! It was just a thought... As great as this project is, I can't say anything is worth reading through 118 pages of posts. Especially with the sudden influx of poetry :/

And for the record, beta doesn't mean free of known bugs.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

The big reason we can't move to beta is this:

- Whatever we do to address the end credits issue may have side effects as to how the game draws its graphics in general. Obviously, we don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater (i.e. I wouldn't like a solution that fixes the end credits and breaks everything else, obviously), but if we do incorporate new code, we won't know for sure how it affects the game on a global level until we actually test it.

To that end, if we went to beta early and did our final rigorous testing plan and later, introduced some new code to fix the end credits, we'd just have to retest all over again.

That's why bugs hold us up from beta. It's not like a one-off thing, we have to have a beta where we can say "The code is frozen (more or less) and this is how we intend to launch, so let's test the shit out of it and make sure we're ready."

Until we figure out how we're going to address this, we can't do that.
jamesb2147
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (MSX2, PSX, SCD)
Policenauts (PSX)
MGS/2/3/4
Lunar Knights
ZoE
PSN: jamesb2147

Post by jamesb2147 »

okay, so idk how much testing you guys have been doing but on the epsxe side of things there doesn't seem to be a functional alternative to peops (although the nextsoft plugin did manager to get the screen scrolling before crashing the emulator lol). i'm wondering if you all have considered altering the source and/or distributing your own "hack flag" for use w/this game. idk b/c i'm not working on the project but i just thought it might be a smidget easier than fighting your way through the assembly or w/e.

in any case, i'll probably spend a few more hours tomorrow dedicated to testing further video plugin setups so remember if you need to test massive numbers of configurations and don't feel like it... you can ask us!! :P

ps - if you nail down the specifics of what's going on with that would you let me know? it looks like some kind of on-screen draw time issue and only "works" in software rendering??

thanks a million!!!
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Congrats on reaching the final bug guys! This may be a no-brainer, but hey sometimes it's easy to miss the small stuff: has anyone tried the new "Fake 'gpu busy' states" compatability mode on the latest Pete GPU plugins?
neoryu

Post by neoryu »

Is the game crashing on every PSX emulator? Maybe the best way out is to ask ppl what emulator will they use (if they're not using a modified PSX or PS2) and try to make them use that specific emulator.

For an example, if the game only crashes on pSX, the release only a PSX/PSP/PS2/epSXe version...

I know that pSX is the best emulator out there... but in this particular game ePSXe with mouse support, works better considering that is a ponit&click adventure.

I think that everyone will understand and will use the working emulator version that you choose.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

jamesb2147 wrote:i'm wondering if you all have considered altering the source and/or distributing your own "hack flag" for use w/this game.
This is exactly one of the alternatives I'm looking at.
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Post by akor1108 »

I'm gonna be honest. I tried pSX on my laptop with "Vista home premium" and it super-suckored in the video and sound department.

I use ePSXe v.170 and it works great. I used pete's gpusoft plugin and the plugin they give us and it's fantastic. every game I tried it on. even Final Fantasy works good. I can't see myself using anything else but epsxe. Plus, all I have to do is use a computer to TV with sound hookup and I can play the game on my HDTV!

I'm sorry if this fact annoys you Slowbeef. I'm really hoping things work out and this doesn't take forever. :)

As for my poems, I'll let you guys have a breather with my inspirational genius. ;)
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

akor1108 wrote:I'm gonna be honest. I tried pSX on my laptop with "Vista home premium" and it super-suckored in the video and sound department.

I use ePSXe v.170 and it works great. I used pete's gpusoft plugin and the plugin they give us and it's fantastic. every game I tried it on. even Final Fantasy works good. I can't see myself using anything else but epsxe. Plus, all I have to do is use a computer to TV with sound hookup and I can play the game on my HDTV!

I'm sorry if this fact annoys you Slowbeef. I'm really hoping things work out and this doesn't take forever. :)

As for my poems, I'll let you guys have a breather with my inspirational genius. ;)
You know, it is this selfless kind of comments that make my day. We *needed* to know that, thank you.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

Don't stress =P
NANTO KAWAI!
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

What does the PCSX debugger output? Maybe we can fix it in PCSX.
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Could someone post a save file near the credits? I'll try various combinations of emulators and plugins (though yes, my personal preference is for ePSXe with Pete's soft as well).