Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Re: Current Status (4/26/09): 1 Bug Till Beta

Post by slowbeef »

Marc wrote:You guys should thank slowbeef for having the patience to fix all of those too. For real.
It's fine, the last time I got thanked I was told I was sexy, something about an erect Solid Snake, and like four poems. I'll just know in your hearts you appreciated it.

Also I forgot the ninth of nine graphics to change, so I meant the build I'm making in THIS very post!
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

To everyone asking about PS2 saves, use Action Replay Max. It has a memory manager on it, and it does a ton of stuff I can convert PS3 virtual saves to PS2 using some programs along with that thing, pull regular saves off of cards, put them on, make files smaller, and use my flash drive to move things around. ARMAX is one of the best tools out there for moving saves around.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

I'm not doubting the grammar skills of the translator, but the difference between "you're" and "your" is distinguished in the script, correct? It fucking irks me to see that shit in video games.

What if we see any errors in the translation while we play? How do we submit corrections? Using bsdiff?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Piratero wrote:I'm not doubting the grammar skills of the translator, but the difference between "you're" and "your" is distinguished in the script, correct? It fucking irks me to see that shit in video games.

What if we see any errors in the translation while we play? How do we submit corrections? Using bsdiff?
Oh, fuck.

Seriously, though, one of the beta testers is a grammar Nazi, so I think we're okay. But yes, I know the difference between "you're" and "your", "it's" and "its", etc.

What if you find errors? I don't know, post them and laugh at us. Hopefully there won't be any!
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

slowbeef wrote:
Marc wrote:You guys should thank slowbeef for having the patience to fix all of those too. For real.
It's fine, the last time I got thanked I was told I was sexy, something about an erect Solid Snake, and like four poems. I'll just know in your hearts you appreciated it.

Also I forgot the ninth of nine graphics to change, so I meant the build I'm making in THIS very post!
Fuck yeah, looking good so far. I hope.
qwerty wrote:interested in assembly (and other languages if included in the program) IN THE PATCH.... correction from previous post

Anybody know how to upload/download saves from a PS2 mem card??
So, have you ever noticed the edit button?
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

Hi hate to do this but it is slightly related....
Can anyone point me to a Policenauts art
gallery. I would like to make a psx eboot
image for us psp players.
NANTO KAWAI!
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

Marc wrote:
Piratero wrote:I'm not doubting the grammar skills of the translator, but the difference between "you're" and "your" is distinguished in the script, correct? It fucking irks me to see that shit in video games.

Oh, fuck.

Seriously, though, one of the beta testers is a grammar Nazi, so I think we're okay. But yes, I know the difference between "you're" and "your", "it's" and "its", etc.

What if you find errors? I don't know, post them and laugh at us. Hopefully there won't be any!
EXCELLENT! OK. So I know for a fact I won't see something like: "Marus's car was stolen the other day."

It's Marcus' dammit!
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

The Spoony Hou wrote:
slowbeef wrote:

Fuck yeah, looking good so far. I hope.
qwerty wrote:interested in assembly (and other languages if included in the program) IN THE PATCH.... correction from previous post

Anybody know how to upload/download saves from a PS2 mem card??
So, have you ever noticed the edit button?
now, yes!
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Post by DOTL »

DarkTetsuya wrote:
khmr33 wrote:They're talking about us on Destructoid...

There was a write up on Snatcher and in the comments someone suggested the writer was gearing up for Policenauts coverage.

Good to know we don't live in a bubble here, but we might have to put akor in the basement when the dinner guests arrive, heh.
Y'know I meant to post that in the snatcher thread yesterday, but I forgot :(

http://www.destructoid.com/snatcher-rec ... 0325.phtml

thats the article, by ANTHONY BURCH!!!
Who would have thought that the last bug is eventually the end of the Game?
Keep it up :->
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

i think your making a big dael out of the english/grammer prob

seriously there working hard on this lol

dude thanks marc and slowbeefs 4 the patch and workking hard and persevering its tough i know and can i beta test with u guys k thzx
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Piratero wrote:It's Marcus' dammit!
According to Elements of Style, you should omit the s if it's a plural possessive (a few trees' leaves, the <B>Patriots</B>' plan) or if it's a historical figure, such as Jesus' words or Isis' blessings, but that's a matter of contention.

According to WikiHow:
Place an apostrophe before the "s" when you are indicating a singular possessive, unless the name or word ends in "s," in which case either is correct. (James's dog or James' dog, Dickens' novel or Dickens's novel)
Marcus's dog is actually correct.

(Why did <B>Patriots</B> get bolded? I think I can guess.) In either case, Marc's done professional translation work before, so you're getting a professional writing job, no worries there.
Last edited by slowbeef on Fri May 08, 2009 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

slowbeef wrote: (Why did <B><B>Patriots</B></B> get bolded? I think I can guess.) In either case, Marc's done professional translation work before, so you're getting a professional writing job, no worries there.

IIRC didn't it use to change to 'la-li-lu-le-lo'? I think it was changed after MGS4 came out, though... I'm assuming its safe to say there's no references to them in Policenauts? :P

Anyway good luck with what I hope is almost the home stretch for this thing, I can't wait to play it!!!
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:i think your making a big dael out of the english/grammer prob

seriously there working hard on this lol

dude thanks marc and slowbeefs 4 the patch and workking hard and persevering its tough i know and can i beta test with u guys k thzx
I can see that you don't care much about grammar. Uhm, let's keep this translation professional, please.

Unless of course you're being sarcastic.
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

slowbeef wrote:
Piratero wrote:It's Marcus' dammit!
According to Elements of Style, you should omit the s if it's a plural possessive (a few trees' leaves, the <B><B>Patriots</B></B>' plan) or if it's a historical figure, such as Jesus' worlds or Isis' blessings, but that's a matter of contention.

According to WikiHow:
Place an apostrophe before the "s" when you are indicating a singular possessive, unless the name or word ends in "s," in which case either is correct. (James's dog or James' dog, Dickens' novel or Dickens's novel)
Marcus's dog is actually correct.

(Why did <B><B>Patriots</B></B> get bolded? I think I can guess.) In either case, Marc's done professional translation work before, so you're getting a professional writing job, no worries there.
I did not know that, thank you. I've been told that "Marcus'" is the only correct form.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I think about every 3 or so pages, I break down and have an odd moment involving poorly-injected Internet humor. I'm sure the veterans of the board are familiar with my 4-or-so years worth of odd moments. :P

In all seriousness, I hate to see Marc upset by the forum posts. As someone that has sampled many message boards in his day, I can tell you that this community is, in fact, one of the better ones in terms of gratefulness. Even when excluding my own posts, I see a ton of thankful messages. Nevertheless, if Marc is feeling like his team is under-appreciated, perhaps we ourselves aren't expressing our thanks enough.

I'd like to note that beta testing inquiries are amazingly scarce, which can't be said by other translation teams. Personally, I think we're all pretty good around here. Even during the year of silence, things remains abnormally tame. These days, though, Slowbeef's continuous updates keep us extremely comfortable.

We've remained inquisitive, which is natural for interested fans, and Slowbeef has been very gracious in answering our questions. I myself feel repetitive when I give thanks in my posts, but I feel that it must be done. After all, I couldn't have translated/patched the game on my own. The fact that we're getting such a quality "end product" is another reason to be so thankful to all those that have dedicated themselves to this cause. I myself will be donating a small amount to charity, which was something I was keeping ready for a "PayPal Donation" button on Policenauts.net. (Based on my understanding, I believe that button will never exist.)

So, if it has not been said recently, Thank You to the Policenauts.net Team for the endless fortitude and 120+ pages of support. It's appreciated in ways we cannot describe.

Although, I can always get MetalGearAkor to impart more of his beautiful poetry to help convey these emotions. I hear he knows Solid Snake's deepest desires, which, from what I understand, involve Otacon using large amounts of technical jargon.

Take us away, Akor; If someone told you to go back on hiatus, I implore you to reconsider.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Just so you guys know, a pSX guy got back to me and said they're now aware of the problem, but not to expect a fix anytime soon. That doesn't hold us up on our end, but I think the patch will be out before the pSX fix.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:In all seriousness, I hate to see Marc upset by the forum posts. As someone that has sampled many message boards in his day, I can tell you that this community is, in fact, one of the better ones in terms of gratefulness. Even when excluding my own posts, I see a ton of thankful messages. Nevertheless, if Marc is feeling like his team is under-appreciated, perhaps we ourselves aren't expressing our thanks enough.
Did you guys think I was upset? I wasn't. It was a legitimate question, to me.

You guys shouldn't feel obligated to thank us to a certain degree. We're all happy to be doing this so others can enjoy the game.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Hahaha, forgive me, then; When I see you (Marc) stating things like "For real" and "Oh, fuck," I figure it's a display of anger. My error.

As for pSX, I think it's great you were able to get a hold of one of the developers. It really does sound like an issue on the emulator's end, so I'm glad you're not being held up by it. It seems the situation continues to improve.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

slowbeef wrote:Just so you guys know, a pSX guy got back to me and said they're now aware of the problem, but not to expect a fix anytime soon. That doesn't hold us up on our end, but I think the patch will be out before the pSX fix.
Glad to hear that. I can imagine that will be a weight off your mind, now, at least. An awkward weight which was super glued to your legs for some time. You can throw onto the pSX team's lap instead and just simply forget worrying about it. So I guess that officially means the project is in Beta, no? :mrgreen:
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

No, not yet as Slowbeef said a few posts ago
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Speaking of pSX, I think I was able to get perfect FMV sound sync by, ironically, unchecking the sync sound option. So the question is: what does that do exactly, and is there any ePSXe plugin that will let us do the same thing?
insulinboy

Post by insulinboy »

hooray for policenauts!
thisheat
Favorite Game: Double Dragon/ Metal Gear
Kojima games owned: Lots of Metal Gear stuff/ Snatcher sega cd/ Policenauts PS1
PSN: thisheat1

Post by thisheat »

Hey guys!
A whole lot of posts ago, the team was not sure it the PSX Books verson of Policenauts would present problems because of a different Konami screen. I was wondering if that was still an issue? I bought the psx books version, so if it will not work, I need to buy another copy sans the books :)
This is all incredibly exciting!!!! You guys have heard it a billion tmes and will hear it again a billion more.... Awesome work!!!!!!! Thank you !!!
Heat
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

There shouldn't be a problem with the books version. So far I've only tested with the regular one lately, but if I recall correctly the logo is exactly the same and apparent the isos are identical. I can verify that, but I believe there is no need to do so now, since in a worst case scenario we'd release a separate patch (very uinlikely)
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
thisheat
Favorite Game: Double Dragon/ Metal Gear
Kojima games owned: Lots of Metal Gear stuff/ Snatcher sega cd/ Policenauts PS1
PSN: thisheat1

Post by thisheat »

Thanks for the info and so quickly!!! Then it is simply waitng until it's done!!! Excellent :)
heat