Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Re: Current Status (4/26/09): 1 Bug Till Beta

Post by akor1108 »

Artemio, Marc, and Slowbeef all just gave us updates of some form. Any little inside info on the working's of the project and the team itself is a blessing to us fans! Thanks.

So... considering how much time and effort is being put into this excellent project, I can deduce that the actual testing phase will not be too long, thus it means the patch will come out shortly after the beta is "finished".

This is good. I like.

And as very the constant coding and stuff, I don't think it can get boring. It's like building with legos, or playing a videogame. If like Res Evil 5, the replay value is great because there is always something new to do. So it becomes a fun little hobby to get these things done. It may get frustrating at times, but overall, it's a gratuitous experience once it's done.

And by the way... I'm not akor, I'm actually Snake's 4th clone, Plasmodius Snake. (Don't worry, I just write poetry and whine about things, this is why I was never in the videogames. I'd be like Rose "Jack, do you know what day it is tomorrow?" and Raiden says "Dammit woman! My codename's Raiden and I am a little busy here, so step off!") So I understand you are all somewhat annoyed by me, but I mean no harm. I just add to the flavor of this forum.

Good times... I'm done (again!)
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

You can cut it off Marc now everybody knows that you are akor. You even use the same IP address...

Everybody was going to notice later on anyway.. when they read the poetry in the cinematics of the game.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

I cannot wait for Marc's, I mean, Akor's...(whoever's) clone brother to come into the fray next. Then it will be The "Terrible Children", delivering poems and patting themselves on the back...ugh. The very thought of it makes my stomach churn.
akor wrote:This is good. I like.
Oh well, that's what we all wanted to hear so badly. Hearing this, I'm sure Artemio and slowbeef are spinning in their chairs out of sheer excitement.
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

With recent news I believe not only is akor's account
being run from inside Arsenal Gear. This whole site is
being hosted on a private server inside arsenal gear being
run by the A.I. With Marc, Kojima and the <B>Patriots</B> pulling
the strings! And we're the puppets! This is madness! This
is the future of the digital age....
NANTO KAWAI!
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

midori_fox wrote:With recent news I believe not only is akor's account
being run from inside Arsenal Gear. This whole site is
being hosted on a private server inside arsenal gear being
run by the A.I. With Marc, Kojima and the <B><B>Patriots</B></B> pulling
the strings! And we're the puppets! This is madness! This
is the future of the digital age....
That would explain a lot. :P
Letiumtide

Post by Letiumtide »

I would actually be interested in how this would run on a modded xbox, which would be my preferred way to play it. Does anybody plan on doing testing on the PSXbox emulator?
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

Letiumtide wrote:I would actually be interested in how this would run on a modded xbox, which would be my preferred way to play it. Does anybody plan on doing testing on the PSXbox emulator?
ROFL =D I didn't even know they had that.
NANTO KAWAI!
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

Letiumtide wrote:I would actually be interested in how this would run on a modded xbox, which would be my preferred way to play it. Does anybody plan on doing testing on the PSXbox emulator?
No, but I plan on scream-singing "Space Lord" by Monster Magnet.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I think akor needs a new hobby. What should he do next? How about posting old internet memes he's just discovered?
Letiumtide

Post by Letiumtide »

slowbeef wrote:
No, but I plan on scream-singing "Space Lord" by Monster Magnet.

Well, I guess I'll accept that as the next best thing, I want to feel the emotion in it though.

Anyway, I guess that means when it gets released I'll test how it runs on the Xbox emulator and let anybody who may be interested know how that plays out. I thought having a modded Xbox was a little more common, guess not.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Letiumtide wrote:Anyway, I guess that means when it gets released I'll test how it runs on the Xbox emulator and let anybody who may be interested know how that plays out. I thought having a modded Xbox was a little more common, guess not.
If it works in hardware, I mean it *should* work in the emulator. I just don't want to fall into the trap of having something coded specifically to an emulator, and having that possibly fail when the next version of an emulator comes out.

But it's the first I'm hearing about an X-Box PS1 emulator, so honestly, I don't have plans to specifically playtest it. Aside from the end credits thing, Policenauts isn't doing anything too funky, so I think it's pretty emulator safe. :|
Wampiro

Post by Wampiro »

If the credits works fine in the psx emulator for xbox... well, that would be hilarious xD

Can´t remember if I tested psx emus in my modded xbox (in my room there is always a place for the PS2), but it´s an AWESOME console for emulation. I got Rondo of Blood in the HDD, the most confortable way to play it (until the PSP remake :) ). The N64 plays fine too, but a lot of games aren´t compatible...
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I still go for the real Hardware it is never the same thing in emulation. It might be some comfortable in some ways (loading from HDD, your choice in the controller if you can choose).

I still go for the actual console, with RGB cables to a CRT or using an XRGB3 to upscale and add scanlines if needed. of course there's the issue of cost in some expensive games (like Chi no rondo) but if you bought them when they weren't or can buy it, there is no way around it.

And it is not that I hate the Xbox 1 controllers, but I ended up buying those psx adapters for it =P
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

Artemio wrote:I still go for the real Hardware it is never the same thing in emulation. It might be some comfortable in some ways (loading from HDD, your choice in the controller if you can choose).

I still go for the actual console, with RGB cables to a CRT or using an XRGB3 to upscale and add scanlines if needed. of course there's the issue of cost in some expensive games (like Chi no rondo) but if you bought them when they weren't or can buy it, there is no way around it.

And it is not that I hate the Xbox 1 controllers, but I ended up buying those psx adapters for it =P
Yep! I'm going to be playing this on my NEC XM37 in RGB goodness.
Supergrom
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
MGS 1
MGS 2
Xbox Live: Helga03

Post by Supergrom »

I'm considering playing policenauts on my modded xbox, and it will supposedly work. I haven't actually tested it yet, but the compatibility list for pcsxbox at http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=238506 says it works "perfectly." I don't really want to play through the game before the translation, but if theres a save file somewhere i might be able to test the credit bug on it.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

I think the only save you can get would be the one at the start of the epilogue, and that's still a good 3-5 minutes before the credits start, maybe more. Then again, it depends on the emulator itself, and how it creates save files. A save state may be an option, but then again, it comes down to the emulator, and how it saves them.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Supergrom wrote:I'm considering playing policenauts on my modded xbox, and it will supposedly work. I haven't actually tested it yet, but the compatibility list for pcsxbox at http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=238506 says it works "perfectly." I don't really want to play through the game before the translation, but if theres a save file somewhere i might be able to test the credit bug on it.
You don't have to. you might as well enjoy the game as it was meant to be played (i.e. you can understand the story)

It's a graphical issue, so PCSX should work the same as ePSXe since they both rely on graphical plugins.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

slowbeef wrote:
Supergrom wrote:I'm considering playing policenauts on my modded xbox, and it will supposedly work. I haven't actually tested it yet, but the compatibility list for pcsxbox at http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=238506 says it works "perfectly." I don't really want to play through the game before the translation, but if theres a save file somewhere i might be able to test the credit bug on it.
You don't have to. you might as well enjoy the game as it was meant to be played (i.e. you can understand the story)

It's a graphical issue, so PCSX should work the same as ePSXe since they both rely on graphical plugins.
Does the xbox allow you to change the plugins?
Letiumtide

Post by Letiumtide »

I love my Xbox, I had a soft modded one until a hard modded one came in at work. That's when I started playing PSX games on it since I had room on the harddrive to do so. For the most part games work beautifully on it, I've come across a few that had been a little iffy. In the very least it keeps me from having 10+ systems hooked up to my TV whereas I just have the current consoles and my xbox now. Though I still collect and own all the consoles and games <3.

Regardless, if it doesn't run well on the xbox emulator then I'll just drag out my modded PSX and play it on that.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

JimboKudo wrote:Does the xbox allow you to change the plugins?
Honestly, I have no idea. PCSX does, and I figured the X-Box one was a build off that. Maybe they're using some custom plugin for the XBOX or something?
Jonesy47
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (MSX & PS2)
Metal Gear 2 - Solid Snake (MSX & PS2)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX & Twin Snakes for Gamecube)
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4
Snatcher (Sega CD & PC-Engine CD)
Policenauts (Sega Saturn & PSX)
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders 2
PSN: tyler's prophecy
Xbox Live: evansucks5000

Post by Jonesy47 »

The xbox emu for psx is awesome but no, it doesn't support being able to change plugins.
It's really an awesome system for emulation and, as you get to play it on an actual tv, the only downside is the xbox pad and about a handful of games that will just never run correctly (mostly on psx and n64).
Pretty much, I already came to the conclusion that this bug is going to affect me so I just assumed I would get to that point, and then watch the rest on youtube. Do you think thats a viable gameplay option, ie, i wont miss out on anything gameplay-wise, right? Just the credits (and a surprise at the end that doesn't involve gameplay)?

Oh, and just so you know, if you were worried about the xbox psx emulator being updated, I wouldn't hold my breath. It hasn't had an update to the emu in over 5-6 years. They did release a new version but all it added was the ability for the emu to launch one game at a time (from the dashboard, without having to choose from a list in the emulator itself) which didn't change any of the code for actually running games. Basically, if you made a special patched version for the xbox, you wouldn't have to worry about a new version of the emu ever coming out.
Jonesy47
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders 2

Post by Jonesy47 »

Piratero wrote:
Artemio wrote:I still go for the real Hardware it is never the same thing in emulation. It might be some comfortable in some ways (loading from HDD, your choice in the controller if you can choose).

What are you talking about?
How are you going to play a playstation game on your nec XM37? Or are you talking about playing the original, untranslated version? Correct me if I'm wrong but this translation is currently just being done for the psx version. Darktetsuya also seems to think that we need to playtest on 4 different consoles so obviously some people on this forum are confused (or I am). As far as I knew, if the planets happened to align correctly and we got the right people, we MIGHT be getting a satrun translation as well, but i never heard of the other versions even being attempted at being translated.
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

Jonesy47 wrote:
Piratero wrote:

How are you going to play a playstation game on your nec XM37? Or are you talking about playing the original, untranslated version? Correct me if I'm wrong but this translation is currently just being done for the psx version. Darktetsuya also seems to think that we need to playtest on 4 different consoles so obviously some people on this forum are confused (or I am). As far as I knew, if the planets happened to align correctly and we got the right people, we MIGHT be getting a satrun translation as well, but i never heard of the other versions even being attempted at being translated.
What? Do you know what a XM37 is? Its an RGB monitor.

Its simple, really. I have a PlayStation with a custom made RGB cable. Need more details?
Jonesy47
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders 2

Post by Jonesy47 »

Piratero wrote:
Jonesy47 wrote:
Piratero wrote:

What? Do you know what a XM37 is? Its an RGB monitor.

Its simple, really. I have a PlayStation with a custom made RGB cable. Need more details?
Actually, no, AND that sounds pretty cool. Well, i guess a litttle more detail. Why? Im just wondering about the pros and cons of playing this on an nec monitor as opposed to say, a standard def tv.
NASAchusetts

Post by NASAchusetts »

I don't understand why anyone would want to use anything more than a S-video on a CRT with a PSX. The games were developed for standard televisions. I also don't understand why people mod their old 16-bit systems with component output. Those old games look better on standard CRT displays because they soften the stairstepping jagged-edged graphics and blend the dithering.