Kojima Productions New IP Revealed Soon?

Dedicated to Hideo Kojima, Kojima Productions staff and their games or collaborations.
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Re: Kojima Productions New IP Revealed Soon?

Post by DOTL »

Spike wrote:The Terminator franchise suffers from it. It should have ended with T2. Too bad Cameron didn't shoot the extended future war sequences, in order for people to stop expecting sequels.
Thats the point!!!
Terminator needs more WAR, and T3 failed at it so badly.. :-(
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Spike wrote:
Artemio wrote:
Dick Motorman wrote:the thing that scares me about the prospect of a new snatcher is the very large possibility of Kojima fucking that franchise up too.
That's why I pray for no other Snatcher IP =P
Frankly, I'd like Kojima not to do a new Snatcher. There is just no point.
All the story has been told in the original game.
I guess Policenauts is also a self-contained story with no open ending.
Moreover, when you think about it, Z.O.E. 2 is a perfect conclusion (all the intrigues have been resolved at the end).
Yeah. I agree.
Same with MGS1, if we're being awfully honest about it. That didn't leave any open endings, everything was pretty much answered by the end.
Ghost
Favorite Game: Difficult, I have so many
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (MSX2)
Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (MSX2 original :D)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid (Gameboy Color, that's Ghost Babel;) )
Metal Gear Acid

Boktai (European)
Boktai (Japanese)
Boktai 2 (European)
Boktai 2 (USA)
Boktai 2 (Japanese)
Boktai 3
Lunar Knights

Hopefully soon Snatcher Mega CD

Post by Ghost »

Well there was some talk about the Gurlukovich army (hope I wrote that right) but we really didn't need to see them appear.

Okay just little games but the Boktai series was a good balance between gameplay and 'cinematics' thought I do not know how big Kojima was involved after the initial concept.

And I guess there really is no need for sequels to Snatcher, Policenauts, or Z.O.E., I guess we just like them so much that we would like to see a sequel even though present day has shown us a terrible tradition of sequels, Metal Gear included.

Regarding the Terminator franchise, even if Cameron had let the 'good' ending in, the current writers would have found some plot device to bring back Judgement Day and The War against the machines, Hollywood would have refused not milking that cow dry.
Probably some last ditch plan by Skynet to send yet another terminator or perhaps several in time to re-establish itself, by the time they would hunt John (who of course would still be somewhat of an angsty teenager who is rebelling against the system (curious, Hollywood likes to portray people fighting against the system and yet they are a major supporter of it, worthy of an article) for no reason other than that they are the 'man' and to show his 'badassness' (that he next to a whiner is a punk)) it would already be to late to stop Skynet.

And it has been twenty five years since the original movies? perhaps in some cases but not all.

I know heard that Kojima might be working on a title called 'Lord of Shadow', of course more pointless rumor telling.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Henry Spencer wrote:with MGS1, if we're being awfully honest about it. That didn't leave any open endings, everything was pretty much answered by the end.
Well, when you look at the Metal Gear franchise, few games have got a totally closed ending.
The directors (Kojima, Nojiri) often left a plot point that could be used to start a potential sequel.
Spoiler:
The only games with a true closed ending are :
- MG2 : Snake kills Gray Fox as well as Big Boss, destroys the Metal Gear and brings back the OILIX back. He becomes a Legend and retires.
- MGS3 : at the end of the game, "Naked Snake" has become MSX-era Big Boss.
The game also provided a few clues pertaining to MGS2's plot points.
- MGA2 : "Snake" has learned of his origins and decides what he's going to do with his life.

Let's look at the other games :
- MG1 : Big Boss is still alive and wants to get his revenge !
- MGS1 : the president of the U.S. is revealed to be Solidus ; Ocelot says he'll keep an eye on the girl ; ...
- Ghost Babel : Snake doesn't want to hide anymore and he will go back to the United States to put an end to all these machinations...
- MGS2 : this game makes an important addition to the MGS mythos, the <B>Patriots</B>, but doesn't explain it that much ; Liquid is still running around ; ...
- MGA1 : Emilio's identity is revealed and he'll have his revenge on Snake
- MPO : the game tries to complete the time gap between MGS3 and MG1 ; the end of the game screams for a sequel.

I haven't played MGS4.
Ghost wrote:(curious, Hollywood likes to portray people fighting against the system and yet they are a major supporter of it, worthy of an article)
That's because individualism is such a predominant value in the United States, which is explained by economical (capitalism), religious (protestantism) and historical (American revolution) factors.

Let's take an example : 24 is a TV series produced by (über-Republican) Fox, in which Jack Bauer, a C.T.U. agent, violates almost every law, rule, order, international treaty and is almost always right to do so.

The problem is that if you don't want a "powerful" government, you get a powerful military-industrial complex. Big companies are the ones in charge now.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Yeah, Kojima probably kicks himself for leaving it open ended.
- MGS1 : the president of the U.S. is revealed to be Solidus ; Ocelot says he'll keep an eye on the girl ; ...
That plot point about Ocelot keeping "an eye on the girl" was forgotten about, pretty much in MGS2 (no mention of Meryl from Ocelot) and MGS4.
The President actually being Solidus was only added in later (once they knew they would be making a sequel) in the first release of the game, the President is never named. [People who have the game from when it was first released, have said that the President is never named. Which leads me to think that it was added into the script after the game's initial release]

But I'd argue that Snatcher is just as open ended as MGS1 is; Gillian going to the Snatcher HQ in Russia and going to wipe out the Snatcher menace. Not that I want a Snatcher sequel or anything. It's far too late to return to it and make a sequel that would be faithful, and the gameplay obviously wouldn't be the same. It just wouldn't be Snatcher.

And you haven't played MGS4? Interesting.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Henry Spencer wrote: The President actually being Solidus was only added in later (once they knew they would be making a sequel) in the first release of the game, the President is never named. [People who have the game from when it was first released, have said that the President is never named. Which leads me to think that it was added into the script after the game's initial release]
He is always mentioned, in fact it is the last word of the game. "Mr. President" is the last thing Ocelot says. You can also check the script dumps I made and use the dumper available at Junker HQ to dump any version of the game.

But your point still stands, and I agree. No sequels were needed.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Ah yeah, I see where I made the mistake; I was having a discussion about this the other day and this person told me that the earliest copies didn't have "Solidus" being the President, but they were wrong; Solidus isn't named as being President in Otacon's ending. That's where I slipped up on that point, since I've just checked up on it. Sorry about that.

But yeah, MGS1 is still, to me, a standalone game that didn't really need any sequels. MGS2 I guess is unnecessary (it is also a game which stands on its own two feet and feels really original considering it is a sequel). I still think MGS2 was Kojima wanting to break out of having to make another Metal Gear, it was defiant against the fanbase and I think he should be proud of that game. It's certainly my favourite game sequel of all time.

All things considered, Kojima did well to keep the series as popular as it has been and kept it going as long as this (even though that wasn't his original intent). An MGS5, heck, even a prequel for any of the established characters that we know would be completely pointless and be a sellout if Kojima were to direct it. I just want to see him make something new again.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Henry Spencer wrote:And you haven't played MGS4? Interesting.
I got spoiled when the game was released. I didn't like what I read. I'm not going to spend 350 € (PS3 + game) on something I probably won't like.
Henry Spencer wrote:I still think MGS2 was Kojima wanting to break out of having to make another Metal Gear, it was defiant against the fanbase and I think he should be proud of that game. It's certainly my favourite game sequel of all time.
I think MGS2 is my favorite Metal Gear. It's certainly up there with MG2, MGS1 and Ghost Babel. Those four games really were the pinnacle of the series for me.

Yeah, if I remember well, Kojima once said something along the lines of "It's my Metal Gear and I can break it if I want to". In a way*, it could be compared to Neon Genesis Evangelion : the main character was used by the director to criticize the audience. The ending (≈ MGS2), which didn't offer all the answers to questions raised during the series, was controversial. Often, people who liked the "philosophical/psychological" ending of the series (≈ MGS2) didn't like the "alternative" ending (The End of Evangelion) / the next games (≈ MGS3, MPO, MGS4), which was/were more "pragmatic".

(* Because The End of Evangelion was actually the first intended ending, but it wasn't shot in the first place due to a lack of budget and because it was considered to be far too much violent by the TV channel airing the series. But I digress.)
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Hmmmmm... Blank page?

EDIT: Nevermind, browser problems.
Ok, new countdown, much worse storm. Apparent Big Boss picture. Now we have also a R and a P.

Militaires Sans Frontieres (Military Without Borders)

Letters/Numbers: 5 or S; E; e; 3; R; P.
And just to completely prove this is about a new Metal Gear game, the source code has this:
<meta name="keywords" content="Hideo Kojima, MGS,METAL GEAR, NEXT, game, konami, kojima game, KJP, Kojima Production ">
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
Mr. F
Favorite Game: MGS2
Kojima games owned: -Metal Gear Solid
-Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance
-Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence
-Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
-Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
-Metal Gear AC!D
-Snatcher
-Zone of the Enders
-Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
-Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars

Post by Mr. F »

The patch is interesting, with your screen-capture you can see it's a skull. Perhaps it's the prototype of the Outer Heaven emblem?
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Raiden will appear in the next countdown, apparently. Or later in the current one.
Got this information from here.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Translation of the interview with Kojima from NeoGAF:
1. (The Big Boss image is posted above)
Interviewer: "Is that Big Boss?"
Kojima: It's a little different from XX
(or XXX's next form is a little different)
Interviewer: "Whaaaattt? Different???"

Kojima: I still can't tell you what the title is, but this is the real deal. Put it this way, it's part of the orthodox "Metal Gear Saga"
(The text below was mostly blocked out, but it talked about what timeframe the game is based in, and it appears that it's across all time periods)

Kojima: I want the game's core to be aimed towards Japan, and released globally. XXX... It's being made by MGS4 staff
Interviewer: That's awesome!

Kojima: The symbol on the cap of the old man (he did not say Big Boss) will be important
Interviewer: This symbol is different from the fox, it looks like a world map
Kojima: No just the mark, but the system of the game will be new!
Note: Kojima uses "This old man" a lot through the interview rather than referring to Big Boss

Interviewer: It sounds interesting, but do you think people will understand it at all?
Kojima: I think people will understand

Well... Tried my best to translate it, but it's so hard with all the blocked out text... bloody Kojima. That's all I can do for now, maybe I'll give it another go later

Summary:
Interestingly the old man in the cap might not be Big Boss, the story will be part of the main MGS saga and it will go through different time periods. New game system, and it's being made by the staff from MGS4
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=3880

Kojima is directing.
He's supposedly aiming the game at the Japanese audience instead? Good start. Seems to contradict what he was saying before though...
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Apparently it's neither Big Boss or Raiden in those pictures.
Raiden eyes are blue and the ones in the picture are brown.
And through some Kojima interview and magazine info, it's not Big Boss.

So... clones?
The "Raiden" picture is probably Gray Fox, seeing how he has an eye patch in the left eye.
JonnyTanna
Favorite Game: Killer7
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Series (Even down to Metal Gear Mobile)
Snatcher (all versions)
Bokatai
Zone Of The Enders
Policenauts

S For Suda51

Post by JonnyTanna »

I hope it's a new Snatcher, and it'll be unlikely Kojima will funk it up because Suda51 will be behind him writing the story.

As long as someone balances Suda and vice versa, I think we''ll have a great game (See Suda's collaboration with Mikami san).

Also has anyone played Suda's Silver Case games? They look pretty intricate and both have a similar style of play.

http://www.killer7.3dactionplanet.games ... /index.htm

Anyway, the point is, that a news Snatcher won't be so bad as long as Suda51 is on board...
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Post by Dick Motorman »

who knows what it all means. For all we know these faces could be just like when we saw 'young snake' in the mgs4 trailers. Kojima wouldn't just let them leak stuff like that raiden picture unless he had something else up his leave that no one was expecting.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

the 5th letter of the alphabet is E. Combine that with the three e's showing up, and the number three:

E3.

Just wait for that.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
JonnyTanna
Favorite Game: Killer7
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Series (Even down to Metal Gear Mobile)
Snatcher (all versions)
Bokatai
Zone Of The Enders
Policenauts

(no Subject)

Post by JonnyTanna »

ShinjiPG wrote:Hmmmmm... Blank page?

EDIT: Nevermind, browser problems.
Ok, new countdown, much worse storm. Apparent Big Boss picture. Now we have also a R and a P.

Militaires Sans Frontieres (Military Without Borders)

Letters/Numbers: 5 or S; E; e; 3; R; P.
And just to completely prove this is about a new Metal Gear game, the source code has this:
<meta name="keywords" content="Hideo Kojima, MGS,METAL GEAR, NEXT, game, konami, kojima game, KJP, Kojima Production ">
I hate to ask, but can you send me the swf file of it? If you happened to have it saved?

Thanks
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

I don't know how to get it, but you can access it directly through here.
snatchernaut
Runner
Favorite Game: snatcher

Post by snatchernaut »

i also get the letters 'P' and 'R'
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

ShinjiPG wrote:Apparently it's neither Big Boss or Raiden in those pictures.
Raiden eyes are blue and the ones in the picture are brown.
...colored contacts perhaps?

anyway, it makes sorta sense that he's raiden. I mean, the eyepatch is on the solidus side. nice reprise.

John -> David

George -> Jack

I'm with you that the green beret isn't john however.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Well, it can't be John because the eye-patch is the wrong eye, and I didn't realize that before lol.
About the second one being Raiden or not, from all the pictures/speculation I read at NeoGAF, I'm really inclined to say it's not Raiden but Gray Fox or yet some other unknown character. I didn't play MGS4, so I could be missing a lot of characters and other plot stuff, tho. Some people there talk about a "Sunny" character, that is apparently a kid or something.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Sunny is
Spoiler:
Olga's daughter.

And Fox's missing eye is his right eye, not his left...

I think it could be "Little John",
Spoiler:
Raiden and Rose's son
from the ending of MGS4. He could be following in his father's footsteps.
Ghost
Favorite Game: Difficult, I have so many
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (MSX2)
Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (MSX2 original :D)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid (Gameboy Color, that's Ghost Babel;) )
Metal Gear Acid

Boktai (European)
Boktai (Japanese)
Boktai 2 (European)
Boktai 2 (USA)
Boktai 2 (Japanese)
Boktai 3
Lunar Knights

Hopefully soon Snatcher Mega CD

Post by Ghost »

Gods, not more Metal Gear, let it die dammit, let it die!!!!!!!

Will the goddamn fanboys be never happy enough until MGS is so milked out that not even they will touch it.

I hope this is a some trick on Kojima's side, and that he plans an incredible new game completely unrelated to Metal Gear franchise.

Otherwise I will no longer care.
cacetete

Post by cacetete »

this CLONES thing is an EPIC sux.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Henry Spencer wrote:Sunny is
Spoiler:
Olga's daughter.

And Fox's missing eye is his right eye, not his left...

I think it could be "Little John",
Spoiler:
Raiden and Rose's son
from the ending of MGS4. He could be following in his father's footsteps.
I said it was the left eye because of this. I tried looking for info on Wikipedia or Metal Gear Wiki, but it doesn't mention which eye was it. So well... whatever.
It's easier to wait for the end of the countdowns instead of speculate lol.