Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Andrigaar
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS
Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsitence - XB/PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsitience - PS2
Xbox Live: Andrigaar

Re: Current Status (4/26/09): 1 Bug Till Beta

Post by Andrigaar »

Artemio wrote:
Andrigaar wrote:As for LCDs and blacks, which I was too tired to remark on earlier. Yea, 60Hz, LCDs suck for black level. Ultra-deep grey is as good as it gets. Does anyone know if the 120Hz LCD/plamsa displays fixed that? The few times I've tried to read up on it, the info was sparse to none.
As mentioned above the LN46A950 does this even better than my CRT (And it is a Loewe Aconda), you must see it to believe it. Since it turns the LEDs that make the LCD backlite totally off, it achieves an impressive black depth. And response time is really good while doing it.
Ah I missed that. Lack of sleep makes you skim when you think you're reading :|

Anyway, goddamn, my 37" Samsung was already a cool G. I hope the TV drops in cost in the next year or two so I can swap this one out for one that does black really well.
:D
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

The new oled's look amazing... this thread is off
topic chaos with the absence of Marc. Go Artemio!
NANTO KAWAI!
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

midori_fox wrote:The new oled's look amazing... this thread is off
Marc is at KCEJ negotiating a deal to release the patch on the PlayStation Store. He said he'll be gone for two weeks because he's holding out for a bigger royalty cut for himself.
Andrigaar
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS

Post by Andrigaar »

Yea. Being a closed beta with us shut out, we're left to ramble about tangents and conspiracy theories. These things happen.

But if you want amazing derails, any goons here should check the DNF thread on SA. Once the media for that one dried up, it went into mindless arguments and trolling just because we didn't want the thread to die yet. Court date for Take 2 and 3DR should be next week.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Andrigaar wrote: Can they make them much lighter? the T in CRT is a ~1/2" thick tube of glass lined with lead powder. Hell, being a former user of a 21" CRT monitor, I can say I have only one major problem with the tech: depth. Not depth of image, but that the dimensions are always close to the same ratio, meaning it takes up more and more space behind the picture.
Well, I know at least that Samsung invented those SlimFlit HD CRTs. My friend has the 30" WS and loves it, although it seems some CRT quality is lost in the tech. I can't find what they weigh online though

Man, agreed that I will buy a laser TV if the tech ever gets cheap. Mitsubishi has them out and they appear to be amaaaaaaazing
BIG BOSS
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Ghaleon wrote:
Andrigaar wrote: Can they make them much lighter? the T in CRT is a ~1/2" thick tube of glass lined with lead powder. Hell, being a former user of a 21" CRT monitor, I can say I have only one major problem with the tech: depth. Not depth of image, but that the dimensions are always close to the same ratio, meaning it takes up more and more space behind the picture.
Well, I know at least that Samsung invented those SlimFlit HD CRTs. My friend has the 30" WS and loves it, although it seems some CRT quality is lost in the tech. I can't find what they weigh online though

Man, agreed that I will buy a laser TV if the tech ever gets cheap. Mitsubishi has them out and they appear to be amaaaaaaazing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-co ... er_display
This is basically exactly what you guys want (what I want too). Hopefully they'll be on the market soon (next year?). The picture quality of a CRT with the form factor of an LCD/plasma!
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Artemio wrote:But you probably never understood our point. If you actually read our posts you'd notice that we never attack crts. We still use them. We saying there are better ways of getting the signal from the console to the tv, the eway it was created. You probably assumed we were talking about LCDs and hence your post which started this.
I think he's just saying he likes his images noisy and you like them clean.

I prefer cleaner ones myself. CRTs forever... untill that SED TV comes, if it's nice for weird resolutions.
NASAchusetts

Post by NASAchusetts »

8bitsonic wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-co ... er_display
This is basically exactly what you guys want (what I want too). Hopefully they'll be on the market soon (next year?). The picture quality of a CRT with the form factor of an LCD/plasma!
Never heard of this new technology and seems like it would be impressive. I'll for one take anything over what they have on the market now for TVs. I wonder what the shelf life comparison between laser and sed is?
Andrigaar
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS

Post by Andrigaar »

8bitsonic wrote:
Ghaleon wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-co ... er_display
Way too long to read right now, but it looks slick and the contrast ratio is up there. However, one quick lesson about contrast ratio for you all who may not know: Your average movie theatre reel has a contrast ratio of 500:1. Sorry guys, these ten-quadrillplexabeeleon to one ratios are mostly advertising gimmicks and e-peen.

Anyway, as long as this keeps the color reproduction quality of CRT's, I am so sold. I honestly forget which LCD type (well, not TFT anyway) has the best color reproduction, but they're still 3rd to CRT and then DLP. As a former art student, I can say that LCDs lack the cutzpah and OOMPH that CRT's have for this (and I'm R/G colorblind, so take that!).
XenoMorph
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

Are there any major differences between Laser TVs and SED TV's?

It's not a stupid question. I have no idea what a Laser OR a SED TV is.

Oh, and how far are we in getting past beta testing?
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

XenoMorph wrote:Oh, and how far are we in getting past beta testing?
Still at the exact same place we were last time people asked (hardware issues, various minor bugs, and me checking the script). This would be a lot less stressful for us if you guys would please let us give you updates when we have them instead of people asking for them.

Anyway, I'm gone tomorrow for two weeks as well.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Marc wrote: Still at the exact same place we were last time people asked (hardware issues, various minor bugs, and me checking the script). This would be a lot less stressful for us if you guys would please let us give you updates when we have them instead of people asking for them.
Seconding this. It's just really hard to gauge now.
Solfieri
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 4
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid

Post by Solfieri »

Dude everytime I come to this forum and I see a 'slowbeef' in last message by I can't help but hope "omg is he going to announce beta testing? oh please lord let me play this game"
Andrigaar
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS

Post by Andrigaar »

Marc wrote:This would be a lot less stressful for us if you guys would please let us give you updates when we have them instead of people asking for them.
Not it!

Though, not to be a dick, I have always anticipated I'd get back into learning Japanese and just play the game that way before the patch was released/abandoned. I've also lurked for enough years that it made sense though... which isn't bragging since it's also been that many years since I put any effort into learning their crazy moon-language made of funny pictures and honorifics.
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

Andrigaar wrote:
Marc wrote:This would be a lot less stressful for us if you guys would please let us give you updates when we have them instead of people asking for them.
Not it!

Though, not to be a dick, I have always anticipated I'd get back into learning Japanese and just play the game that way before the patch was released/abandoned. I've also lurked for enough years that it made sense though... which isn't bragging since it's also been that many years since I put any effort into learning their crazy moon-language made of funny pictures and honorifics.
HOW DARE YOU?! THEY WOULD NEVER ABANDON THE PATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
jamesb2147
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (MSX2, PSX, SCD)
Policenauts (PSX)
MGS/2/3/4
Lunar Knights
ZoE
PSN: jamesb2147

Post by jamesb2147 »

Andrigaar wrote:Anyway, as long as this keeps the color reproduction quality of CRT's, I am so sold. I honestly forget which LCD type (well, not TFT anyway) has the best color reproduction, but they're still 3rd to CRT and then DLP. As a former art student, I can say that LCDs lack the cutzpah and OOMPH that CRT's have for this (and I'm R/G colorblind, so take that!).
I believe you're thinking of IPS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lcd#In-pla ... _.28IPS.29) although possibly of PVA panels ::shrugs::
of course, nothing will compare to the color reproduction of a CRT but then there's...
1) the weight
2) the availability
3) the (admittedly minor) radiation exposure
4) the headaches (sooooo many term papers i've had to stop writing on the computer!!!)
5) the fact that it begins an inevitable decline sometime between 2-4 yrs into its life, at which point it is no longer color-accurate

personally i'm waiting for OLED displays. SED has been "just two years away!" for an eternity (note: internet time)

but all my knowledge is based on pc monitors so i can't speak to DLP, laser, etc.

ps - to bring this back to policenauts... i'll be using an S-IPS panel LCD (hopefully i won't get any black hair confused with purple :P )
Andrigaar
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS

Post by Andrigaar »

jamesb2147 wrote:
Andrigaar wrote:Anyway, as long as this keeps the color reproduction quality of CRT's, I am so sold. I honestly forget which LCD type (well, not TFT anyway) has the best color reproduction, but they're still 3rd to CRT and then DLP. As a former art student, I can say that LCDs lack the cutzpah and OOMPH that CRT's have for this (and I'm R/G colorblind, so take that!).
I believe you're thinking of IPS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lcd#In-pla ... _.28IPS.29) although possibly of PVA panels ::shrugs::
of course, nothing will compare to the color reproduction of a CRT but then there's...
1) the weight
2) the availability
3) the (admittedly minor) radiation exposure
4) the headaches (sooooo many term papers i've had to stop writing on the computer!!!)
5) the fact that it begins an inevitable decline sometime between 2-4 yrs into its life, at which point it is no longer color-accurate

personally i'm waiting for OLED displays. SED has been "just two years away!" for an eternity (note: internet time)

but all my knowledge is based on pc monitors so i can't speak to DLP, laser, etc.

ps - to bring this back to policenauts... i'll be using an S-IPS panel LCD (hopefully i won't get any black hair confused with purple :P )
IPS was the one I was thinking of. .IPS is also a ROM patching format, so I never think it's that.

Most of my knowledge of color reproduction and contrast ratios come from the Anandtech LCD buyer's thread and http://www.kenrockwell.com. Both sites are good resources for too much information.

3) Only behind the monitor, or if your face is like 2" from the screen and destroying your eyes anyway.
4) These mostly went away for me when I switched to a 75Hz refresh rate. Sadly this LCD TV I'm using for a monitor is 60Hz, but it only becomes a problem when it's bright... like the skin for this forum page actually. I start seeing double at times here or in MS Word when I used to have term papers. Making windows have a dark color scheme helps me a lot anyway.
5) Seriously? My two 21" monitors were used and already years old NEC's manufactured in 1994. I didn't retire the 2nd one 2005 when it was 11 years old and finally went fuzzy. Gave away the other one in '03 or '04.
JOHN KONAMI
Favorite Game: The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Policenauts
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes

Post by JOHN KONAMI »

8bitsonic wrote:
Marc is at KCEJ negotiating a deal to release the patch on the PlayStation Store. He said he'll be gone for two weeks because he's holding out for a bigger royalty cut for himself.
Is this true? If so that's mindblowing, and I wish him lots of luck. Hopefully if successful it'll show Konami what a mistake they made in keeping this genre bottled up all these years.

I've been following the translation project on and off since it started waaay back. While I've never posted here before (if I have I don't remember), the excitement is just too great for me to lurk any longer. Well done to all involved for the staggering effort. I do own an old copy of Policenauts as a Snatcher/Kojima completist, but you're not gonna believe that I've never actually played it. Here's hoping that changes soon.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

JOHN KONAMI wrote:
8bitsonic wrote:
Is this true? If so that's mindblowing, and I wish him lots of luck. Hopefully if successful it'll show Konami what a mistake they made in keeping this genre bottled up all these years.
God, no. He was kidding.
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

lol, and here I was hoping to read that that last bug had been solved! :mrgreen:
KOJIMASAN
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid (the whole series) DUH!!
Kojima games owned: MGS 1,2,3 and 4 ;) Finally got a ps3 again
Policenauts (ordered from japan waiting patiently for translation patch)
ZOE
SNATCHER (SEGA SATURN VERSION)
PSN: VAIOMANIAC
Xbox Live: VAIOMANIAC

Post by KOJIMASAN »

Oki too everybody who is complaining and are constantly BUGGING (yes I see the irony of using that word) Marc and Slowbeef just shut up will ya its done when its done.

Like other sane people on this forum have said before that I would rather have a patch that is as good as possible and if that means that I have to wait a few months or even a year that's fine with me.

Anyway keep up the good work guys you are totally awsome for doing this.
Kassius

Post by Kassius »

Actually, I don't really get Marc's retaliation as that's been to be honest one of the first questions about the game itself in the last three days. Instead the policenauts topic has been turned into the "CRT LCD Digital noisy vga rgb extravaganza."
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

I don't want anyone to think there's ROMHACK DRAMA!!! going on or anything. It's just honestly that the bug list is going up and down on the back-end and there's really not too much to report. I guess we're mostly dealing in hardware specific issues now, and I feel kinda lame doing this whole "countdown to beta!" thing and ending up somewhat stuck at one.

I guess we could do a countdown that ends in another countdown, but that would just be ridiculous.
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

slowbeef wrote: I guess we could do a countdown that ends in another countdown, but that would just be ridiculous.
Oh you mean like Kojima himself has done? :P Just saying...
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

DarkTetsuya wrote:
slowbeef wrote: I guess we could do a countdown that ends in another countdown, but that would just be ridiculous.
Oh you mean like Kojima himself has done? :P Just saying...
You killed the joke... =P
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]