Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Re: Current Status (4/26/09): 1 Bug Till Beta

Post by The Spoony Hou »

slowbeef wrote:I don't want anyone to think there's ROMHACK DRAMA!!! going on or anything.
Romhack drama is awesome! Soon you guys will ask for donations because your computers broke, the HDs fucked up and we must save the info on them (while everyone forgets you have backups).
slowbeef wrote:I guess we're mostly dealing in hardware specific issues now, and I feel kinda lame doing this whole "countdown to beta!" thing and ending up somewhat stuck at one.
Come on, you knew this was going to happen :p.
Phenomenal Flea
Favorite Game: killer7, Mother 3, Hotel Dusk, MGS3, SOTC...
Kojima games owned: Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GCN, does this count?)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (2discs, PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (3discs, PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, does this count? He was involved)
PSN: Phenomenal_flea
Wii Friend Code: Cantremember
Xbox Live: Phenomenal Flea

Post by Phenomenal Flea »

DarkTetsuya wrote:
slowbeef wrote: I guess we could do a countdown that ends in another countdown, but that would just be ridiculous.
Oh you mean like Kojima himself has done? :P Just saying...
Oh, come on... Did you really have to spell it out?
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Kassius wrote:Actually, I don't really get Marc's retaliation as that's been to be honest one of the first questions about the game itself in the last three days. Instead the policenauts topic has been turned into the "CRT LCD Digital noisy vga rgb extravaganza."
Back when the patch was on hold completely, nobody was asking "when is it gonna be done?" So, in comparison to that phase, three days is a very short time, and people should just stop asking about the freaking patch. Honestly, I'd much rather read posts about the pros and cons of different displays, than have to sort through all of the repeated questions and constant pestering.
Andrigaar
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS
Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsitence - XB/PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsitience - PS2
Xbox Live: Andrigaar

Post by Andrigaar »

The Spoony Hou wrote:Romhack drama is awesome!
You're tempting me to re-read through the mindless flame wars on Gemini's blog about kun/san/chan usage (that he refused to use) and whatever else they got mad about. Mato's blog for M3 seemed flame retardant for the little I read, but it was hundreds upon hundreds of posts about assembly and techno-babble :cry:

JimboKudo wrote:Back when the patch was on hold completely, nobody was asking "when is it gonna be done?" So, in comparison to that phase, three days is a very short time, and people should just stop asking about the freaking patch. Honestly, I'd much rather read posts about the pros and cons of different displays, than have to sort through all of the repeated questions and constant pestering.
Someone here needs a pill marked "relax" on the blue side and "chill" on the cool side.
:D
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Andrigaar wrote: Someone here needs a pill marked "relax" on the blue side and "chill" on the cool side.
Not really IMHO, I don't blame anyone for being tired of new and old members asking "when's it done -- what progress -- ajksdhak". Anyone's who's been following the project can tell that when progress is made, news will be posted about it.

If I were Marc/Artemio/slowbeef I wouldn't even respond to them :P
BIG BOSS
Kassius

Post by Kassius »

It's kind redundant to keep the topic open really since its content had degraded to either questions concerning the time of its completion and completely off topic material. Marc and Slowbeef may be pissed at having people asking about upgrade progress but I think I speak for a wide variety of posters and lurkers alike when I express disappointment in logging in each morning, seeing a brand new page added to this topic and eagerly anticipating some news and instead having to go through yet another page of irrelevant material.

Why not just keep the topic locked until the next update? It's not like there's much more about the patch to discuss that hasn't been already (numerous times). It would save a lot of people a lot of false hope when they see page 135,136,137, etc etc. and it would save SB and Marc their headaches.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

I don't think locking is necessary, personally, since the title of the topic is updated when there's actual news.
BIG BOSS
Randam Hajile
Favorite Game: Super Metroid
Kojima games owned: -Policenauts
-Snatcher (Sega CD)
-Metal Gear Solid I
-Metal Gear Solid II - Substance
-Metal Gear Solid III - Subsistence
-Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
-Zone of Enders 2: The Second Runner

Post by Randam Hajile »

Ghaleon wrote: Anyone's who's been following the project can tell that when progress is made, news will be posted about it.
Yep. And it doesn't even take a whole lot of time.
Retroware TV
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by Retroware TV »

I can wait. I just anticipate the day that it's available! The work going into this project is so immense that I can only say thanks to everyone involved. I'm very excited to finally play this game.

Now my only question is this - because I've only been familiar with patching Turbo Grafx and PC Engine ISOs, what program is recommended to apply this patch when it is ready? I have the original Policenauts PSX game, modded system, and the mouse controller -- I'm rarin' to go! I want to be ready at day one.
The Source For Classic Gaming Videos & Reviews
http://www.retrowaretv.com
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

Retroware TV wrote:I can wait. I just anticipate the day that it's available! The work going into this project is so immense that I can only say thanks to everyone involved. I'm very excited to finally play this game.

Now my only question is this - because I've only been familiar with patching Turbo Grafx and PC Engine ISOs, what program is recommended to apply this patch when it is ready? I have the original Policenauts PSX game, modded system, and the mouse controller -- I'm rarin' to go! I want to be ready at day one.
The team hasn't found a viable way to package the patch. You'll just have to wait and see.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Piratero wrote:The team hasn't found a viable way to package the patch. You'll just have to wait and see.
False =P

It has been stated before in this same thread that xdelta is what we are using and most likely what will be used.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
XenoMorph
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

Is that like a ppf-type solution? Or something similar ( double-click patch.exe and you're done )?

Sorry about posting needless "When will it be done?" questions. I guess I kinda forgot that it'll be done when it's done. Sometimes It's just hard to believe that there's only one bug holding us back from enjoying Kojima-produced goodness (Hopefully, if nothing comes up in beta).

Oh well, I guess I could try out Crysis for the first time while I wait.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

XenoMorph wrote:Is that like a ppf-type solution? Or something similar ( double-click patch.exe and you're done )?

Sorry about posting needless "When will it be done?" questions. I guess I kinda forgot that it'll be done when it's done. Sometimes It's just hard to believe that there's only one bug holding us back from enjoying Kojima-produced goodness (Hopefully, if nothing comes up in beta).

Oh well, I guess I could try out Crysis for the first time while I wait.
Let's hope there won't be a "patch.exe" because it'll exclude us Unix users. Don't worry about it. There will be directions and about 1,000 tutorials on how to rip and patch your games.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Piratero wrote:Let's hope there won't be a "patch.exe" because it'll exclude us Unix users. Don't worry about it. There will be directions and about 1,000 tutorials on how to rip and patch your games.
Helloooooooooooooooooo!!! can anyone read my posts? or even bother to do a google search on what I posted?

Seeing that nobody cared about that, here is how Neo geo, SNES, Genesis and PSX games look running on real hardware via RGB though and XRGB-3:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artemiourb ... 847413089/
XenoMorph wrote:Is that like a ppf-type solution? Or something similar ( double-click patch.exe and you're done )?
It is a command line based tool, we could write a windows GUI version, but really... there is no need to do that when 5 seconds of your time can make it run on a command line prompt, and there are binaries and source code for all OSs (and we had already posted this!!)
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Andrigaar
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS
Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsitence - XB/PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsitience - PS2
Xbox Live: Andrigaar

Post by Andrigaar »

The Oldschool Gangsters wrote: - Annoyance at "noobs"
- Wrong answers to "noobs"
This is why I like the derails. I've done enough of this in real life, and find it best to tell people to read the posts. In a worst case scenario I read back several pages and quote, but I don't think I've done that on this forum.

Anyway, how about them Japanese videogames? Their sense of narrative is just different even when trying emulatate more Western methods of story telling.
:D
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Artemio, how are we gonna patch this thing?
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

I think we should use IPS because all my favorite NES nudie ROM hacks use that.
NASAchusetts

Post by NASAchusetts »

slowbeef wrote:I think we should use IPS because all my favorite NES nudie ROM hacks use that.
Yes! Super Spermio Bros. is awesome!!
Randam Hajile
Favorite Game: Super Metroid
Kojima games owned: -Policenauts
-Snatcher (Sega CD)
-Metal Gear Solid I
-Metal Gear Solid II - Substance
-Metal Gear Solid III - Subsistence
-Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
-Zone of Enders 2: The Second Runner

Post by Randam Hajile »

I just had to share this with you guys: My copy of policenauts arrived this morning via mail. Oh happy day! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JonnyTanna
Favorite Game: Killer7
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Series (Even down to Metal Gear Mobile)
Snatcher (all versions)
Bokatai
Zone Of The Enders
Policenauts

VHS Baby!

Post by JonnyTanna »

Artemio wrote:
Piratero wrote:Let's hope there won't be a "patch.exe" because it'll exclude us Unix users. Don't worry about it. There will be directions and about 1,000 tutorials on how to rip and patch your games.
Helloooooooooooooooooo!!! can anyone read my posts? or even bother to do a google search on what I posted?

Seeing that nobody cared about that, here is how Neo geo, SNES, Genesis and PSX games look running on real hardware via RGB though and XRGB-3:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artemiourb ... 847413089/
Man I love the way those games look through RGB. Shame a standard television has sharpness lines. Even worst, all those folk who upgraded to HD-TV's can't appreciate the 16bit era without stretching the images..
Artemio
Site Admin

Re: VHS Baby!

Post by Artemio »

JonnyTanna wrote:
Man I love the way those games look through RGB. Shame a standard television has sharpness lines. Even worst, all those folk who upgraded to HD-TV's can't appreciate the 16bit era without stretching the images..
Those are pictures taken from an HD LCD =P
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
shotgummer
Favorite Game: snatcher, ocarina of time, threads of fate
Kojima games owned: metal gear
metal gear solid
metal gear solid 2
metal gear solid 2 substance
metal gear solid 3
metal gear solid 3 subsistence
boktai
zone of the enders

Post by shotgummer »

hey randam hajile, did you know that your name backwards is elijah madnar? and that you're really an android!
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Shhh. Don't say that, you may hurt his feelings...
Haycob
Favorite Game: Mgs series, Probably soon to be Policenauts :D
Kojima games owned: Mgs 123 and Z.o.e games.

Post by Haycob »

So how 'bout them Policenauts?

Elusive bastards...
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

It seems you like The Last Blade 2. I must love you now.