Policenauts Social Thread

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Marc
General

Policenauts Social Thread

Post by Marc »

This is the place for everyone who inflates the project status thread with off-topic discussion to chat about whatever they want.

Have at it!
Anubis
Runner

Re: Policenauts Social Thread

Post by Anubis »

So how bout them Magic?
Rokuro
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Boktai

Post by Rokuro »

I like mayonnaise instead of butter on certain sammiches!

:'(

So I got to outer heaven, act 2.
Spoiler:
The part where you confront Napoleon about him being the wolfman, well he admits it, we go inside, but in the middle of the conversation, the audio cuts and it freezes :(
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

Speaking of mayo they have
a all mayo restaurant... milkshakes...
fondue... soup... sounds fucking
disgusting but I like mayo allot =P
Plus Japanese mayo is different from
ours (usa) I like it even more same with
the mustard...

Marc have you ever been to one
of those? Same to anyone else having
visited Japan.

Btw I would of not posted this in the
Policenauts translation thread. =D
NANTO KAWAI!
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Oh, man, I suck so much Marc's made a topic for me to suck on.

:(

I blame that Igarashi stupid fuck.
Rokuro
Metal Gear
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Boktai

Post by Rokuro »

Im going to have a big chicken mayo sammich (english mayo) now :lol:
Andrigaar
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS
Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsitence - XB/PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsitience - PS2
Xbox Live: Andrigaar

Post by Andrigaar »

Anubis wrote:So how bout them Magic?
Like Gob, or the card game that was ported to XBLA yesterday?
:D
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

Bring on the poetry. :P
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

I am naked right now.
Rokuro
Metal Gear
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Boktai

Post by Rokuro »

I am fully clothed, apart from one glove to use the mouse, without my gloved hand sliding off it.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

I just got a pretty bad sunburn on my nose and the skin's peeling off, if you're hungry just send me a PM with your address and I'll send you the skin.

Burnt Charlie skin is a german delicacy.
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

shidoni wrote:I am naked right now.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Andrigaar wrote:
The Spoony Hou wrote:
Andrigaar wrote:
The Spoony Hou wrote:Also, I waited something like 13 years for Rondo of Blood to be released in the west, and that FUCKING IGARASHI does a remake for the PSP, of all systems. God, I hate that stupid fuck. Still waiting for the game :cry:.
Blah blah. The only time the 3D is ever a problem is that 3D ledges and perspective make me jump early to my death every now and then. Besides, if you can finish the first '3 or '4 levels you can unlock SotN and the 2D Rondo.
But I said nothing about 3D :o.

Of course, I prefer the original version, and that's mostly because they fucked up the remake. They didn't rebalance the enemy positioning for the widescreen display... They didn't even adapt the backgrounds correctly for widescreen. They should've added borders if they are too dumb to properly remake the game.
If I prefer the original, it's only because I'm a crusty old gamer who holds onto his pixel art.

The game was fine to me, but you've also got to remember that the PSP is a handheld. Advanced 3D hardware will murder the tiny LiON battery. I recall comments about Phantasy Star Portable likening it to a PSX game with texture filtering. Stil, it plays SotN flawlessly, so therefore I love that package. However, I'm not sure I'll ever have the patience and skill to finish level '5. Meaning I may never unlock the 4th game on the wee disc.
I've never played Castlevania : Symphony of the Night. Lords of Shadow got me interested in Castlevania. Symphony of the Night is reportedly one of the best entries in the series.

There have been two English "translations" of this game and, unfortunately, both are allegedly terrible :
- PS1/Xbox LIVE/PSN version : the "translator" didn't translate the script, but instead created lines out of thin air*. Besides, the American dub has a reputation for being awful.
- Dracula X Chronicles version (PSP) : the new "translator" just rephrased the previous "translation". This port offers to hear either the original Japanese voices or a new, more serious American dub.

Fortunately, a fan retranslation is on its way...

* By the way, do you know that Dracula's line "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!" is actually a quotation by André Malraux ("Qu'est-ce qu'un homme ? Un misérable petit tas de secrets...") ?
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Post by DOTL »

The Metal Gear Marathon begins in 11 hours
72 Hours of MGS gameplay live at TheSpeedGamers
Confirmed games to be played (more games will be added, be sure to check back!)
In order (except Twin Snakes):
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Ghost Babel
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the <B>Patriots</B>
Metal Gear Solid: Twins Snakes
http://www.thespeedgamers.com/page/1 for the description

http://www.thespeedgamers.com/ Main Page for the live feed

Im Looking forward to this, especially Ghost Babel
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Regarding the translation of SOTN, I don't believe the translation was bad. I rather think the voice acting was cheesy. BTW, did you know that it was Jeremy Blaustein (yes, Snatcher and Metal Gear Solid 1) who did that translation? I clearly remember him discussing that precisely in a podcast.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Rokuro
Metal Gear
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Boktai

Post by Rokuro »

I'd watch/listen to Patrick Stewart narrative over images of monkey's flinging poo against each other.

Consider me sold on the new Castlevania on the strength on Patrick's voice alone.
Zero Shift
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
PSN: GFX1989

Post by Zero Shift »

Artemio wrote:Regarding the translation of SOTN, I don't believe the translation was bad. I rather think the voice acting was cheesy. BTW, did you know that it was Jeremy Blaustein (yes, Snatcher and Metal Gear Solid 1) who did that translation? I clearly remember him discussing that precisely in a podcast.
Here's the podcast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sx7yttJm0I

Very interesting, after listening to it my opinion on Konami and KojiPro changed a little.
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Spike wrote:* By the way, do you know that Dracula's line "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!" is actually a quotation by André Malraux ("Qu'est-ce qu'un homme ? Un misérable petit tas de secrets...") ?
Well, I can say that line was translated well :P.

I'm too lazy to listen to that podcast. Is Kojima an ass?
Zero Shift
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
PSN: GFX1989

Post by Zero Shift »

He kind of does come off as a bit of an ass. One thing that's certain is that Jeremy Blaustein got screwed over by Konami. The way he explains it is that he cared too much about the translation of MGS1. He didn't do a direct translation from japanese to english. He knew what Kojima was going for in the script and he wanted to achieve the same things by not translating directly. Konami didn't like that and that's why he wasn't asked to translate the later games. I'm happy with the translation he gave us, it's a shame Konami people weren't.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Artemio wrote:Regarding the translation of SOTN, I don't believe the translation was bad.
Well, I don't know Japanese, but look at this :
Original Japanese, translated by duckroll from NeoGaf wrote:Richter: Be destroyed! This world has no place for you.
Dracula: I was not revived by my own strength. I was revived by humanity and their greed. The only justice here is power itself.
Richter: Those are just your selfish excuses! Humanity is brought together by common beliefs and needs, they gather together, and walk in those directions.
Dracula: Ah but currently, can it not be said that mankind having developed greed, is therefore driven by that belief?
Richter: Mankind cannot be driven by power alone. Respect and a loving heart can also drive a man.
Dracula: Hmmph. Whichever is righteous, shall be settled by death itself.
PS1 translation wrote:Richter: Die Monster, you don't belong in this world.
Dracula: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by... humans... who wish to pay me tribute.
Richter: Tribute? You steal men's souls, and make them your slaves!
Dracula: Perhaps the same can be said of all religion.
Richter: Your words are as empty as your soul. Mankind ill needs a savior such as you...
Dracula: What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!
Dracula X Chronicles translation wrote:Richter: Dracula. Die now, and leave this world! You'll never belong here!
Dracula: Oh, but this world invited me. Your own kind called me forth with praise and tribute.
Richter: Tribute? Your're a thief. You steal men's souls, their freedom...
Dracula: Freedom is always sacrificed to faith, good hunter. Or Are you really here by choice.
Richter: All I'm here is for you. To hell with your heresy! You're nothing but a blight on mankind!
Dracula: Ha! Mankind, a cesspit of hatred and lies. Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!
Source

Except for the first two lines, the official "translations" of the first dialog in the game are totally made up. I think there is a line between improving the original text during the translation process and coming up with your own little writing, pretending it to be a translation.

Besides, I also read the translator picked up names from Tolkien's work for totally unrelated weapons.
Artemio wrote:BTW, did you know that it was Jeremy Blaustein (yes, Snatcher and Metal Gear Solid 1) who did that translation? I clearly remember him discussing that precisely in a podcast.
Oh, right. He said it in the TUS podcast. I had completely forgotten about it. Well, you can say he dropped the ball here.
The Spoony Hou wrote:
Spike wrote:* By the way, do you know that Dracula's line "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!" is actually a quotation by André Malraux ("Qu'est-ce qu'un homme ? Un misérable petit tas de secrets...") ?
Yup. :mrgreen: Except that it wasn't at all in the original Japanese version (as well as Dracula quoting the Bible). What would you say if I started adding random quotes in a translation ?
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Oh, it seems the US version had a new writer.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=734

Now, this version is pretty awesome.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

I'm looking more forward to that Echo Night 2 translation by the same team. Game looks great.
The Spoony Hou wrote:

I'm too lazy to listen to that podcast. Is Kojima an ass?
It seemed to me like Blaustein seemed to have a bitter resentment for the people who worked for Kojima at that time (calling Scott Dolph a "Troll like figure" and saying that the Japanese developers, who are still a mystery, wanted to make more parts of the script more "sweet, more loving" when Snake and Meryl in the same scene together, those people seem to me like the ones who got Blaustein kept away from working on another Kojima game after that; so we can blame them that the games script and translation isn't as good anymore). He certainly has a resentment for Kojima too, but he could sort of tell that people were whispering things into his ear that weren't true, like him changing the translation so much that it wasn't what they were wanting to do with the story anymore. Bullshit like that.

So personally, I'm glad that he took the measures necessary (and certain liberties) to make it good for the English speaking audience. Has to be said, maybe he did go too far with SOTN's script, though.
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

The most important thing is preserving the original author's intent in your translation - the second most being flow and readability. If the translator feels the need to redo the original writing entirely in order to satisfy these - fine, why not? Having a translation that is enjoyable to read and conveys the same intent is far more important than keeping the original wording, especially given the enormous structural differences between the languages.
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Henry Spencer wrote:It seemed to me like Blaustein seemed to have a bitter resentment for the people who worked for Kojima at that time (calling Scott Dolph a "Troll like figure" and saying that the Japanese developers, who are still a mystery, wanted to make more parts of the script more "sweet, more loving" when Snake and Meryl in the same scene together, those people seem to me like the ones who got Blaustein kept away from working on another Kojima game after that; so we can blame them that the games script and translation isn't as good anymore). He certainly has a resentment for Kojima too, but he could sort of tell that people were whispering things into his ear that weren't true, like him changing the translation so much that it wasn't what they were wanting to do with the story anymore. Bullshit like that.

So personally, I'm glad that he took the measures necessary (and certain liberties) to make it good for the English speaking audience. Has to be said, maybe he did go too far with SOTN's script, though.
Maybe I expect to much from Kojima, but he should learn English and see the translation himself. But yeah, it's a shame... Blaustein did a very good job with Snatcher, and maybe MGS (I don't know, maybe when I finally play MGS2 I'll see the difference).
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

The dialogues of SOTN are sooo unimportant, I wouldn't even care if was not translated, lol.
It's really basic Castlevania storyline. And the game is known for the gameplay/system/graphics/music, more than anything else.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"