Converting your PSX Backups for PSP

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
Mornaug
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: Penguin Adventure, Metal Gear (MSX), Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid 1-2-3, Z.O.E.

Converting your PSX Backups for PSP

Post by Mornaug »

Anyone interested in converting their PSX backups to the PSP's EBOOT.pbp format; here's a great program for that. You will also need the file BASE.pbp, but that file is official Sony code so its illegal to distribute it. You'll have to find it on your own! Google is your friend.
PSX2PSP v.1.4.2.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 617 times
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Re: Converting your PSX Backups for PSP

Post by Dick Motorman »

Yeah I was playing MGS just the other day on my psp. It's fun to screw around with psps.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Dick Motorman wrote:Yeah I was playing MGS just the other day on my psp. It's fun to screw around with psps.
Yeah, I've had so much fun with custom firmware. It's the only way to go.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

JimboKudo wrote:
Dick Motorman wrote:Yeah I was playing MGS just the other day on my psp. It's fun to screw around with psps.
Yeah, I've had so much fun with custom firmware. It's the only way to go.
absolutely. It's awesome how far custom firmware has come too, I remember in the beginning you kind of had to choose between homebrew or new games, but now you can pretty much do it all.
Mornaug
Kojima games owned: Penguin Adventure, Metal Gear (MSX), Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid 1-2-3, Z.O.E.

Post by Mornaug »

It really is incredible. Its probably one of the biggest FUCK YOUs to sony ever. Just looking at anyones psp with official firmware makes me pity them because they just have no idea what their tiny $180 toy is capable of. Ive had my psp for a while now and I havent bought any UMD games for it, yet I have hundreds of games on my psp (emulators and what not).
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Haha pretty much the same for me. I've had my PSP since around the time they where released and I have two umds for it, but hundreds of games, I even have some psp games on it. I'm thinking about modding my psp even more, this time in terms of hardware, I saw this article where someone installed a touch screen on their psp, I wouldn't mind trying that one out.
Mornaug

Post by Mornaug »

Yeah I saw that touchscreen mod. Its very cool. Hopefully it ends up working well, that way even DS games would be a possibility on it :D
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

I'm also thinking about mounting some LEDs under the trigger's, just for the hell of it.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I own a lot of umd games, but I play more homebrew. Certain games like valkyrie profile, FF tactics, and Disgaiea I bought because they were freakin' expensive on the ps2/ps1. The psp runs pretty much all programs twice as well as my laptop does. I think it's because it's able to concentrate on one thing (the game and calculations), instead of windows xp which takes a lot of memory to run (when you have a 500 mhz comp).
Mornaug

Post by Mornaug »

I've actually been wanting to do the LED thing too. Makes it look awesome! In regards to playing rare/hard to find games for the ps1/psp, because of the internet you don't even have to buy them! You just have to know where to look! :wink: Of course I completely support owning the originals as I am a ps1 collector, but downloading is a great way to try or even beat before you buy.
bay
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: metal gear solid 4
Kojima games owned: metal gear NES
metal gear solid 1-4
PSN: baysan

Post by bay »

Mornaug wrote:It really is incredible. Its probably one of the biggest FUCK YOUs to sony ever. Just looking at anyones psp with official firmware makes me pity them because they just have no idea what their tiny $180 toy is capable of. Ive had my psp for a while now and I havent bought any UMD games for it, yet I have hundreds of games on my psp (emulators and what not).
No disrespect intended, but how can you honestly take this sort of stance with the PSP? (none the less any other system out there)

Platforms (none the less companies) need financial support to continue to not only exist, but also provide you, the consumer, with the things that you enjoy.

In response to this topic, I think the emulation of PSX games on PSP is very cool. Using the PS3 store and purchasing a PSX game for play on the PSP is very cool, I'm just wishing that PS3 store USA would get as much into this as PS3 store Japan has. MGS has been on PS3 Store Japan for months now!

Also note that emulation is an imperfect art, thus to get a game to flawlessly work on an emulator there will always be tweaking needed. I consider this when I am looking at a price for an existing game for PSX that I can now buy and play on the PSP.
Mornaug

Post by Mornaug »

Platforms (none the less companies) need financial support to continue to not only exist, but also provide you, the consumer, with the things that you enjoy.
Therein lies the problem. Companies are not sufficiently providing us (the consumers/dollar signs) with the things we enjoy. They only see things in terms of what is most profitable in the least amount of time and effort. I understand that its just business and they need money in order to function, but this is the multi-billion dollar video game industry we are talking about; one which sony alone has a huge chunk of. These companies aren't starving. Now it is just pure gluttony.

When the PSP was first announced, what was the first thing that went through most peoples minds? The ability to play their vast collections of PS1 games on it! That would be the icing on the cake on top of original PSP games that are on par with PS2 games. Fast forward to today and we have a couple handfuls of good UMD games (a good part of which were ported to PS2 not too long after their release) and the ability to play a very limited amount of PS1 games on it. Necessity is the mother of invention, so some hackers got together and made it possible to play just about anything including (most importantly) almost all PS1 games on the PSP.

Also, that fact that I have'nt bought any UMD games for my PSP does'nt mean that I never will. I am a huge fan of sony and have always been; the PS1 is one of my favorite consoles ever and I am still trying to complete my collection for it. Still, no company is without its problems and I just wish they would really pay close attention to what consumers really want.
jetoutant
Favorite Game: Final Fantasy 7

Post by jetoutant »

i have been trying to get my ps1 games to work on my psp but i have run into a snag I have the psx2psp program alcohol120% program to covert all my old ps1 games to iso's i have a Base.PBP not sure if it is good I get all the way through the conversions and when i get it on my psp it says some thing about not being compadable license program is there some thing i am missing to get it to work
Sevket
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 4
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid DEMO (NTSC-U)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid DEMO (NTSC-J)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions DEMO (NTSC-J)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Platinum (PAL)(SEALED)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PAL)(SEALED)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (NTSC)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PAL)(SEALED)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Collector's Edition (NTSC-U)
Metal Gear Solid: Bandee Desinee DVD
PSN: Sevket
Xbox Live: SevketErhat

Post by Sevket »

www.pspiso.com is your friend for stuff like this
If you want to sell your MGS Promo Discs or Demos please contact me

My Metal Gear Collection
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... ?start=all
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

bay wrote:
Mornaug wrote:It really is incredible. Its probably one of the biggest FUCK YOUs to sony ever. Just looking at anyones psp with official firmware makes me pity them because they just have no idea what their tiny $180 toy is capable of. Ive had my psp for a while now and I havent bought any UMD games for it, yet I have hundreds of games on my psp (emulators and what not).
No disrespect intended, but how can you honestly take this sort of stance with the PSP? (none the less any other system out there)

In response to this topic, I think the emulation of PSX games on PSP is very cool. Using the PS3 store and purchasing a PSX game for play on the PSP is very cool, I'm just wishing that PS3 store USA would get as much into this as PS3 store Japan has. MGS has been on PS3 Store Japan for months now!

Also note that emulation is an imperfect art, thus to get a game to flawlessly work on an emulator there will always be tweaking needed. I consider this when I am looking at a price for an existing game for PSX that I can now buy and play on the PSP.
I fund the game industry as much as I can, but they better deserve what I'm giving them. As I said, I have a lot of UMD games, but I play more homebrew. The psp was gonna be able to do so many things, and Sony mentioned a lot of them. Then they started updating their firmware and RESTRICTING these things. If I have to pay Sony $9.99 to do something I can pull off in 5 minutes, then they don't deserve that money. 10 bucks for a game I already own?! That's ridiculous. The other thing is that they don't actually port their psx games to the psp. It takes them no time whatsoever (meaning no work) to change the format. If it did, then they would have to be one of the most innefficient companies I've ever heard of. It's the same deal that they force people who've bricked their psps to send them in and pay 60 bucks for them to (and isn't this hard?) plug the friggen' thing into a computer, and press a button. 60 BUCKS!! THAT'S not cricket.
One more point I would like to make is that if they enabled homebrew to be run on their real firmwares, then the sales for the psp would rocket. I know the games wouldn't sell as well, but that doesn't mean that a company who makes wheelchairs can go around whacking people in the back of the leg with an iron rod, just so the company makes more sales. Sony gives us this beautiful machine that can do anything, then they say, "Oh, actually, I'm gonna need that back, oh, and that too, and that, and that, and that....etc." It's the same reason why you wouldn't buy an HD-DVD drive specifically for Windows Vista, since it takes the HD format and lowers it to DVD (this is because they don't want people pirating high quality movies). IF I OWN THE DVD, THEN I CAN BURN IT!! By the way, this isn't an attack on you, this is an attack on Sony, I don't want to give you the wrong impression. And to a certain extent I agree with you. I buy any good psp games that come out. If it gets a good rating, then I'll at least check it out. If people didn't buy any psp games at all, then companies wouldn't bother making any good games for it, since they wouldn't sell. I heard the new Brave psp game is supposed to be fantastic. That's next on my to-buy list.
brosko48

Post by brosko48 »

Now I know how to Convert my PSP for PSX Backups. Thank you for the information :)

Post by shadrach »

Maybe if we are lucky DA will incorporate a way of loading a .iso file using Sony's emulator. I have a feeling that the data.psar is nothing more than the standard cd image + a little header info. This actually worked for anyone ? and is it definite that I will need activation or whatever ? This process better work in reverse cos I want to play the original medal of honour on my playstation 1 and alien resurrection.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

Mornaug wrote: You will also need the file BASE.pbp, but that file is official Sony code so its illegal to distribute it. You'll have to find it on your own! Google is your friend.
Sorry for bringing back an old topic but I though I would point out that since 2007 people have created a substitute BASE.pbp using none sony code, so you can obtain this legally now.
Attachments
BASE.PBP.zip
(46.38 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
Ianhayes
Favorite Game: red dead redemption

Post by Ianhayes »

Have you ever tried to put a DVD on a toaster? The hole sometimes seems to fit but the result you have is far from expected?

PSP games-> PSP-> PSP emulator
PSX games-> PS1-> PS1 emulator

The way it's meant to be played.

To sum up, psp games cannot be played on a PSX emulator.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

Ianhayes wrote:Have you ever tried to put a DVD on a toaster? The hole sometimes seems to fit but the result you have is far from expected?
What are you talking about? When I put a DVD in my toaster I get just what I would expect, movies being injected into my eyeballs!
Ianhayes wrote:To sum up, psp games cannot be played on a PSX emulator.
Yeah they can't, but that’s not what the threads about.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!