Policenauts Emulation Guide

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

I was just playing Policenauts again, and it froze when I tried to do some target practice in the BCP.... :cry:
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Charlie Johnson wrote:Did anyone manage to fix the out of sync sound problem during cutscenes yet?

No matter which plugin or even emulator I use, the sound is always out of sync.
We'll have the guys look at this and all other problems closer to the release.
Newtype wrote:I have the game but it is in BIN format, not in ISO. Will the patch still work? I think it's possible to convert BIN to ISO, but I'm not sure. And even if I did, would the patch work?
I would recommend you have the discs in ISO format as a precaution.
shidoni wrote:I finally got my copy of Policenauts today, and played it for the first time. Siiiiigh.... How utterly badass it was to hear End of The Dark in context and not in a muddy youtube vid.
I watched a video on YouTube of Act 3, and I remember when I first played the game and was at that part... It's interesting hearing the voices and seeing the colors then and now. I haven't played the game in a while, actually. I've been wanting to wait until we're testing the English version before I play it again.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Osiris wrote:I watched a video on YouTube of Act 3, and I remember when I first played the game and was at that part...

When was that?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

shidoni wrote:
Osiris wrote:I watched a video on YouTube of Act 3, and I remember when I first played the game and was at that part...

When was that?
Oh...sometime in the 50's, I guess.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Osiris wrote:
shidoni wrote:

When was that?
Well then. Playing video games instead of 'Nam. I'm shocked.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

shidoni wrote:
Osiris wrote:
shidoni wrote:

When was that?
Yes, I was in...New York, I think...
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Osiris wrote:
shidoni wrote:
Osiris wrote:
shidoni wrote:

When was that?
Yes, I was in...New York, I think...
Ah... Elvis must've been fun to see. Happen to catch Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis' last act at the Copacabana?
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

ok, this may be offtopic but this is something i'd like to know...

Is it possible to take larger than 320x240 size screenshots of the game with pSX emulator? I don't understand why the emulator resizes screencaps to 320x240 even if the game resolution is set in 640x480 size. :???:
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Solidé wrote:ok, this may be offtopic but this is something i'd like to know...

Is it possible to take larger than 320x240 size screenshots of the game with pSX emulator? I don't understand why the emulator resizes screencaps to 320x240 even if the game resolution is set in 640x480 size. :???:
It is because 320x240 is the real resolution before applying filters and post processing.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Solidé
Captain
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.

Post by Solidé »

Is it the real resolution of every PS1 games, or is it just real resolution of emulation?
(hard to explain, hope you understood my question :D )
Pulstar

Post by Pulstar »

The PS1's GPU is capable of 640×480 rendering but one would imagine most of the titles are processed at half that resolution for technical limitations. You can use FRAPS to capture 'better' snapshots if you like.
Solidé
Captain

Post by Solidé »

hey, thanks a lot. That works just great!
I've been looking for proper MGS1 screenshots with no watermarks for my upcoming site but i didn't find those anywhere. Now i can take those myself :)

That really helped me, i always thought fraps i only ment for capturing video. :smile:
EscapePlan
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Re: Policenauts.net Emulation Guide

Post by EscapePlan »

Can someone repost the original archive? For some reason it's not extracting properly for me when I download it
LazyDave

Post by LazyDave »

So I've gotten the game to run on my PSP (Custom Fromware) but I'm not seeing the konami logo video or the intro video? Main menu comes up after a while. Am I doing somethign wrong?
-this is not a signature
Ikuzak
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: metal gear solid PC pal
metal gear solid: the twin snakes pal
metal gear solid: substance PC pal
metal gear solid 2: sons of liberty PS2 pal
metal gear solid 3: snake eater pal
metal gear solid 3: subsistence pal
metal gear acid pal
metal gear acid 2 pal
metal gear solid: portable ops us
metal gear solid: digital graphic novel

Zone of the Enders pal
Zone of the Enders 2 pal

Snatcher Mega CD pal

Policenauts PS1
PSN: Randam1984
Xbox Live: Ikuzak

Post by Ikuzak »

i want to play the patched version on my psp.

you think there should be some problems?
Crumpets
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: Integral
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid (GBC)
Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
Plus guides for all of the above (Authorised collection/Piggyback for all that had release by them, the rest are BradyGames except VR Missions which is Prima)
Snatcher (PS1)
And Policenauts
All are original, mint and complete releases (incl. spine cards etc). Also all are UK PAL except the Japanese only releases.

Post by Crumpets »

LazyDave wrote:So I've gotten the game to run on my PSP (Custom Fromware) but I'm not seeing the konami logo video or the intro video? Main menu comes up after a while. Am I doing somethign wrong?
If you have popsloader then try running it under a different pops, if you don't have it here's what you need to do:

Download Popsloader from psp-hacks.com, place the .prx files you downloaded in the 'seplugins' folder at the root of your mem stick (if it is not there you can make the folder yourself). Now shut down your PSP and reboot it whilst holding down the right shoulder button, when the recovery menu comes up go to plugins and enable popsloader. Now when you load up the EBOOT hold the R shoulder button down again as it boots up, this will come up with a list of different versions you can choose from, different pops run better than others, differs for each game. Changing pops is the best way to get around any glitches graphically or audibly or any general problems like freezes.
Ikuzak wrote:i want to play the patched version on my psp.

you think there should be some problems?
Shouldn't be, Policenauts runs fine on PSP without the patch and the patch I am almost certain will have no affect on this, having played the English patched versions of Tales of Phantasia and Persona 2 Innocent Sin on PSP I tried both in Japanese before patched and both worked the same regardless of the patch, ofcourse the programmer/hacker that worked on both those games may work differently but really it's just an altered version of the original disc image, so if it runs on an emulator it should run fine emulated on PSP :)
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

For the record, I've been doing my hardware testing on PSP - you should have no problems playing the English version on it.
LazyDave

Post by LazyDave »

Crumpets wrote:
LazyDave wrote:So I've gotten the game to run on my PSP (Custom Fromware) but I'm not seeing the konami logo video or the intro video? Main menu comes up after a while. Am I doing somethign wrong?
If you have popsloader then try running it under a different pops, if you don't have it here's what you need to do:

Download Popsloader from psp-hacks.com, place the .prx files you downloaded in the 'seplugins' folder at the root of your mem stick (if it is not there you can make the folder yourself). Now shut down your PSP and reboot it whilst holding down the right shoulder button, when the recovery menu comes up go to plugins and enable popsloader. Now when you load up the EBOOT hold the R shoulder button down again as it boots up, this will come up with a list of different versions you can choose from, different pops run better than others, differs for each game. Changing pops is the best way to get around any glitches graphically or audibly or any general problems like freezes.
Thanks, that seems to have fixed it. Any specific version work best 3.0, 3.5???
-this is not a signature
Crumpets
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: Integral
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid (GBC)
Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
Plus guides for all of the above (Authorised collection/Piggyback for all that had release by them, the rest are BradyGames except VR Missions which is Prima)
Snatcher (PS1)
And Policenauts
All are original, mint and complete releases (incl. spine cards etc). Also all are UK PAL except the Japanese only releases.

Post by Crumpets »

LazyDave wrote:Thanks, that seems to have fixed it. Any specific version work best 3.0, 3.5???
Glad it works. Different versions for different games really, first I always try is 3.71 becuase it seems to work well on most games.

http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?ti ... ility_List

That site is the best place to go to get info on what pops seem to work best for each indiviual game, you can make an account and edit it yourself as well.
slowbeef wrote:For the record, I've been doing my hardware testing on PSP - you should have no problems playing the English version on it.
Awesome! I haven't felt this excited for a release since MGS4 was first announced :)
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

iso producer seams to not work on vista :( can some one give me a link to another iso program that will work on vista
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I suppose there are several. After ISO Producer, my suggestion is ISOBuster, which is freeware.
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

that’s ok I got ISO producer working on my cruddy XP labtop I will gust make the ISO's on that and transport them to my vista computer
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

slowbeef wrote:For the record, I've been doing my hardware testing on PSP - you should have no problems playing the English version on it.
Think in theory it should also run on the PSP Go no problem? Am considering getting one since I recently bought a PS3 mainly for blu-ray, but find myself spending most of my time in the PSN Store. ;)
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Snatcher42 wrote:
Think in theory it should also run on the PSP Go no problem? Am considering getting one since I recently bought a PS3 mainly for blu-ray, but find myself spending most of my time in the PSN Store. ;)
I really gotta be honest - I have no idea. Playing it on the PSP requires a firmware swap-out because in order to play games from the PSN store they have to be digitally signed by Sony - this kind of excludes ROM hacks/patches.

I don't know if it's possible with the PSP Go, but I'd guess it's not likely right now. Maybe as the homebrew capabilities of the PSP Go are more ironed out.
mrgone

Post by mrgone »

i guess, it will take some time, until the psp go gets "opened up" for unsigned software (psx AND psp)
if it gets opened at all