My ePSXe settings

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

My ePSXe settings

Post by slowbeef »

For the record, here's my ePSXe settings for video and audio:

Video:

Audio:
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Re: My ePSXe settings

Post by Snatcher42 »

Thanks slowbeef. Does using that sound plugin help with the cutscene sync issue? I'm currently using ePSXe's internal core, and it's the same as ever. Also sorry to be a broken record, but is there any particular reason you're using an older version of the graphics plugin (latest is 1.18)?
Newtype

Post by Newtype »

I was just about to ask for help regarding the ePSXe settings, so thank you Slowbeef. Also, I wanted to ask the same question as Snatcher42 about you using an older version of the graphics plugin.

Also, I'm kind of confused regarding the controls. I've never played Policenauts before. I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading about being able to play this game with a mouse? I looked at the Instructions Sheet that came with the patch, but the part about the controls confused me o_0
Snatcher42
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Newtype, in ePSXe's controler config select "Digital/Mouse". Then press F5 while playing the game to enable mouse control (imo the best way to play!).
khmr33
Favorite Game: Radiant Silvergun
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear NES
Snatcher CDRomantic
Snatcher Sega CD
Snatcher Sega Saturn
Policenauts PS The Best
Policenauts Sega Saturn
Metal Gear Solid US PS1 Black Bar
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions US PS1
Bleemcast! Metal Gear Solid
Zone Of The Enders US PS2 w/Demo
Zone Of The Enders Premium Package JP PS2
Metal Gear Solid 2 US PS2 Black Bar
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance US PS2
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance US Xbox
The Document Of Metal Gear Solid 2
Zone Of The Enders: The Second Runner US PS2
Boktai The Sun Is In Your Hand
Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 3 US PS2
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Special Edition US PS2
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1
Metal Gear Solid 4 Special Edition US PS3
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2 (sealed)
PSN: khmr33
Xbox Live: khmr33

Post by khmr33 »

Anyone have advice maintaining aspect ratio in fullscreen on a 16:9 HDTV?

Running ePSXe with the e}i{ Video Plugin. So far I either get a wide stretched mess or a teeny tiny window in the middle... can't seem to scale to the full panel height and maintain 4:3.

Windowed mode would kind of suck from eight feet away.
Snatcher42

Post by Snatcher42 »

What video card are you using, khmr33? I know nvidia clips have an option to preserve apect ratio in the "flat panel scaling" section of their control panel.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Newtype wrote:I was just about to ask for help regarding the ePSXe settings, so thank you Slowbeef. Also, I wanted to ask the same question as Snatcher42 about you using an older version of the graphics plugin.

Also, I'm kind of confused regarding the controls. I've never played Policenauts before. I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading about being able to play this game with a mouse? I looked at the Instructions Sheet that came with the patch, but the part about the controls confused me o_0
I think I forgot to mention that there. Things were pretty hectic when I was writing it and I was sure I'd left out something.

Anyway, yeah, you can use a mouse with Policenauts when you play it on a PS1 or PS2 (or epsxe).
khmr33
Snatcher CDRomantic
Snatcher Sega CD
Snatcher Sega Saturn
Policenauts PS The Best
Policenauts Sega Saturn
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2

Post by khmr33 »

ATi Radeon HD4650.

Usually this is an emulator option, for instance, KEGA fusion allows for 1920x1080 fullscreen resolution while a separate option tells the emu to draw only in the 4:3 space in the middle of that area. Which is great because the frame counter and SegaCD disc and access lights are in the black borders outside of the game's display.
Snatcher42

Post by Snatcher42 »

P.E.Op.S. has options like that, but I don't think e}i{ does.
infinityBCRT
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid Essential Collection (Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Disc 1), Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (both discs), Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: infinityBCRT
Xbox Live: infinityBCRT

Post by infinityBCRT »

This is pretty disheartening but Policenauts does not work for me. The cutscenes keep locking up my PC from anywhere for 5-30 seconds and then start playing again. Its impossible for me to get through even the opening cutscene. Can someone who has the game working properly post ALL of their settings (every single screen from epsxe, video, sound, cdrom, game pad), and if you are using an older version of the plugins please specify if you need to use the older one or if you just didn't bother updating. Also I'd like to know if Processor Affinity needs to be set to a single core. I tried it and it didn't seem to fix the freezing issue. Thanks.
Newtype

Post by Newtype »

Thanks Snatcher42 and Marc. I'm guessing using only the mouse is not enough? Don't you need to use the keyboard to move, reload or do other things? Also, in the game's configuration, there is Default, Southpaw for left-handed players and One-handed. Is One-handed for mouse-using players or should I just let it to default?
Last edited by Newtype on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snatcher42

Post by Snatcher42 »

Not sure, though I've been able to go mouse-only so far (to the end of act 1) on default. Reload by shooting around the edges of the screen, click around there to move, etc.
Supergrom
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
MGS 1
MGS 2
Xbox Live: Helga03

Post by Supergrom »

nope, everything can be done with the mouse. you never control your movement with the keyboard/controller and you reload by clicking at the edge of the screen. i was planning on playing the game with a controller, but once i tried the mouse I can't imagine playing it any other way.

edit: whoops, someone beat me to it.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Newtype wrote:Thanks Snatcher42 and Marc. I'm guessing using only the mouse is not enough? Don't you need to use the keyboard to move, reload or do other things? Also, in the game's configuration, there is Default, Southpaw for left-handed players and One-handed. Is One-handed for mouse-using players or should I just let it to default?
You can play the entire game with just the mouse, yeah. One-handed is for the controller, you should stick to Default for the mouse (unless you're a lefty).
infinityBCRT
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid Essential Collection (Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Disc 1), Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (both discs), Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: infinityBCRT
Xbox Live: infinityBCRT

Post by infinityBCRT »

infinityBCRT wrote:This is pretty disheartening but Policenauts does not work for me. The cutscenes keep locking up my PC from anywhere for 5-30 seconds and then start playing again. Its impossible for me to get through even the opening cutscene. Can someone who has the game working properly post ALL of their settings (every single screen from epsxe, video, sound, cdrom, game pad), and if you are using an older version of the plugins please specify if you need to use the older one or if you just didn't bother updating. Also I'd like to know if Processor Affinity needs to be set to a single core. I tried it and it didn't seem to fix the freezing issue. Thanks.
I should mention I'm using Windows 7 RTM 64-bit. Perhaps epsxe doesn't work well with this OS. Another issue I have is the game just stops booting up after running and quitting epsxe a few times and I have to reset my machine to get it to run again (epsxe starts and the gpu plugin window opens but nothing happens).

My guess is my best bet to play Policenauts is to install win xp on a virtual pc and use connectix vgs.
Newtype

Post by Newtype »

I see, I understand now. Thanks to all for the help.

infinityBCRT: Wish I could fully help you but I haven't started a game yet. However, I did manage to get through the beginning cut scene all the way to the menu screen without a problem. I have the same settings as Slowbeef posted except I use a bigger resolution and v1.18b of P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver instead of v1.17 that Slowbeef is using. I have Windows XP Pro SP3.
khmr33
Snatcher CDRomantic
Snatcher Sega CD
Snatcher Sega Saturn
Policenauts PS The Best
Policenauts Sega Saturn
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2

Post by khmr33 »

I switched plugins, that fixed it.

Anyone else with a similar setup should avoid that plugin, I suppose...

Got in about the first hour or so... totally freaking awesome.

With it being scaled to such a high degree though, I'll have to consider fooling with some scanlines to compensate.

I really should have modded my PSX by now, oh well...
khmr33
Snatcher CDRomantic
Snatcher Sega CD
Snatcher Sega Saturn
Policenauts PS The Best
Policenauts Sega Saturn
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2

Post by khmr33 »

Got in a little more playtime this morning, figured I'd try scanlines but my framerate tanked... what gives?

Scanlines shouldn't be so taxing, right?
Newtype

Post by Newtype »

What's the best resolution for someone who's using ePSXe with a 17 inch monitor? I tried playing at 1024x768 and 640x480, but everything was fugly. I find 320x240 to be so small and hard to enjoy the game at that size, though. Also, should I use 16bit Color or 32bit?
Snatcher42

Post by Snatcher42 »

Snatcher42 wrote:Thanks slowbeef. Does using that sound plugin help with the cutscene sync issue? I'm currently using ePSXe's internal core, and it's the same as ever.
Well I can answer my own question: It does help a lot, though doesn't totally solve the problem!
Frogacuda
Favorite Game: Too many to list.

Post by Frogacuda »

PeOPS SPU has a major issue with Policenauts; If you interrupt the game by hitting esc and then resume the sound drops out and the game may freeze.

Eternal SPU seems to work much better. Put it in thread mode, and it sounds great, no problems.
Silanda
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Mega CD)
Policenauts (PS, Sat, 3DO)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3

Post by Silanda »

I wonder if the audio sync problem is a glitch with epsxe rather than the plugins. I have tried a variety of combinations of plugins and their settings but the audio is always out on some cutscenes. Sync isn't a problem with psx, but that emulator has too many other issues.
Newtype

Post by Newtype »

Frogacuda, P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio SPU Version 1.9 doesn't do that for me when I press Esc and come back.
Frogacuda
Favorite Game: Too many to list.

Post by Frogacuda »

That's the version I'm using. You on XP?
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Try Eternal SPU with ASync off - that's apparently been getting good results.