Snatcher characters in Policenauts?

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Snatcher characters in Policenauts?

Post by Rick Deckard »

According to this Metal Gear Wiki, there are cameos by Snatcher characters in Policenauts, namely featuring Jamie, Random and Napoleon.

Something I'd read in a few places previously was that Napoleon makes an appearance at a hospital at some point, but having looked out for him throughout the game I now suspect that somebody was mixing him up with Ishida, and, not speaking Japanese, had no idea what was being discussed in the scene, which would have tipped them off to it being a different character. Similarly it's very possible that somebody mixed Jamie up with the hospital director - whose name escapes me now - who looks strikingly similar, and Random with...I don't know, Dave maybe?

So, what's the deal here then? Did I overlook these or is it simply false trivia?
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Re: Snatcher characters in Policenauts?

Post by Charlie Johnson »

You can see Randam in the prologue,
Spoiler:
right after Lorraine died. He's standing among the crowd on the right.

In the PC98 version you'll see Jamie instead.
Spoiler:
Napoleon is sitting right here.
Spoiler:
It looks a little different because the screen is taken from the PC98 version, but he's in the exact same place in the console versions.
Last edited by Charlie Johnson on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Ohhh, so that's what they were getting at with the references to the headscarf....

Those other two were particularly tricky to spot - cheers for those. I'll look out for Random next time.
RyuHayabusa
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear - NES CIB
Metal Gear - Famicom CIB
Snake's Revenge - NES CIB
Metal Gear Solid - Playstation
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - PS2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snaker Eater - PS2
Metal Gear Solid 4 -PS3
Metal Gear HD Collection - PS3
Metal Gear Solid - Peace Walker - PSP
Zone of the Enders HD Collection - PS3
Snatcher CD-Romantic - PC Engine
Snather Pilot Disk - PC Engine
Snatcher - Sega CD
Snatcher - Sega Saturn
Snatcher - Playstation
Policenauts - Sega Saturn
Policenauts - Playstation - The Best
Policenauts - Playstation

Post by RyuHayabusa »

I also noticed a picture of the Snatcher characters in the Pharmacy, on the side of one of the shelves. Unfortunately, I didn't get to click on it because once I noticed it, Ishida was talking and I never got another chance to look at it. From what I could tell, it's this pic:
Attachments
captureD23.jpg
captureD23.jpg (8.9 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

SHIT! that's pretty awesome.... :mrgreen:

Although I don't see how a headscarf qualifies as being Napoleon? The other characters are definatly there.

I'll ahve to post the image of the "Snatcher Calender", There is also "One Night In Neo Kobe (Remix)" in Hojo's CD collection that you can listen to.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

el_ash wrote:
Although I don't see how a headscarf qualifies as being Napoleon?
Talk to him and you'll see.
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

el_ash wrote: I'll ahve to post the image of the "Snatcher Calender", There is also "One Night In Neo Kobe (Remix)" in Hojo's CD collection that you can listen to.
OMG I loved that part, I was thumbing through it thinking 'so wait, is this like some colossal soundtest they put in the game?' Cause that'd totally be like something I'd expect Kojima to put in one of his games, like the hidden sound test from MGS/MG2:SS (Equip the cigs and tune the radio to 140.07, iirc)

I think I'm stuck somewhere in act 2, but I might go back later to figure out what I'm not doing right.
Supergrom
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
MGS 1
MGS 2
Xbox Live: Helga03

Post by Supergrom »

what i remember about the calendar
Spoiler:
I saw that calendar and thought it looked like that snatcher image as well, so I looked at it (but not until I went back to use the T-Gear in the middle of the night) and Chris said that it was from the year 2047 and was some video game promotional thing that Ishida sent away for. It was vague enough that if you didnt know about snatcher, it probably wouldn't mean a thing to you.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

"A surveillance camera?" I lol'd at that reference. Was that in the original script, or was it reworded by Marc to make it a neat reference in the game?
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

Henry Spencer wrote:"A surveillance camera?" I lol'd at that reference. Was that in the original script, or was it reworded by Marc to make it a neat reference in the game?
Yeah that was awesome!

There was also a "Big Boss" reference when talking to Gates at some point, And I know that at some point in the game Ed mentioned that Jonathan looked like the "guy" (Gillian) in that Snatcher Calender, only he had a different hair color and cut.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Henry Spencer wrote:"A surveillance camera?" I lol'd at that reference. Was that in the original script, or was it reworded by Marc to make it a neat reference in the game?
That was me. The original was like, "A surveillance camera? They must be doing some important research here", which is totally obvious anyway.
el_ash wrote:
Yeah that was awesome!

There was also a "Big Boss" reference when talking to Gates at some point, And I know that at some point in the game Ed mentioned that Jonathan looked like the "guy" (Gillian) in that Snatcher Calender, only he had a different hair color and cut.
"So they tell me you're the big boss around here now." I figured that was ambiguous enough to put in. And there's also the "snake in the grass" (another way of saying "traitor") line, which makes me think of MGS3. These two were also mine; the Snatcher stuff was all in the original.