More gamesTM coverage

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Marc
General

More gamesTM coverage

Post by Marc »

Everybody check out the new issue of gamesTM (Issue 88) for a review and feature on Policenauts!
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Re: More GamesTM coverage

Post by 87th »

My issue arrived today. I can get high quality photos today, or scan it on sunday, if you like?
Marc
General

Re: More GamesTM coverage

Post by Marc »

I don't think it would be appropriate to post images from the magazine this soon. But feel free to post your thoughts on the article.
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Re: More gamesTM coverage

Post by Snatcher42 »

My copy hasn't arrived yet, but this is just further evidence that GamesTM is one of the best publications out there. I subscribed back when they ran their Policenauts translation preview, and compared to most American gaming rags the content is just so much richer and more extensive! :)
Snatcher42
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Just read it. Congrats on the great review and interview! Though they did seem to focus a bit much on controversial things like sexism, net lingo, and homophobia, all of which I think are pretty minor elements in the grand scheme of the game. I did want to ask about your response to the two instances of gay-slang, though, which was different in the GamesTM interview from what had previously been stated here and on Something Awful that it was true to the original Japanese?

I also saw your response on SA about renaming some of the music tracks, like "BCP HQ" to just "BCP". I guess it relates to your magazine answer about proper nouns, but I wanted to ask about that particular example. It seemed that characters often said the same word after BCP, which I assumed to mean "headquarters". I was wondering why you decided to leave that out? Not that I really care one way or another, just curious. And guess I've gotten used to seeing "HQ" written a lot here and in Snatcher! :)

Congrats again, it was really a thrill to see such lavish coverage of the translation in a quality mag like GamesTM!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Snatcher42 wrote:I did want to ask about your response to the two instances of gay-slang, though, which was different in the GamesTM interview from what had previously been stated here and on Something Awful that it was true to the original Japanese?
I don't remember saying here or at SA that those words were explicitly in the original game. I know someone at GAF said that -- why, I don't know.
I also saw your response on SA about renaming some of the music tracks, like "BCP HQ" to just "BCP". I guess it relates to your magazine answer about proper nouns, but I wanted to ask about that particular example. It seemed that characters often said the same word after BCP, which I assumed to mean "headquarters". I was wondering why you decided to leave that out? Not that I really care one way or another, just curious. And guess I've gotten used to seeing "HQ" written a lot here and in Snatcher! :)
I maybe could have left "HQ" in there, but at the time I thought that the "HQ" part was unnecessary for that song title.
Snatcher42

Post by Snatcher42 »

Marc wrote:I don't remember saying here or at SA that those words were explicitly in the original game. I know someone at GAF said that -- why, I don't know.
I think Artemio said it here, not sure who on SA.
Marc wrote:I maybe could have left "HQ" in there, but at the time I thought that the "HQ" part was unnecessary for that song title.
Oh well I meant in the game dialogue in general. It seemed I heard "HQ" being said a lot, but maybe I'm wrong? Again, just curious.

Anyway, awesome article. Here's my fav quote! :D
"The English text had to fit into the limited number of character spaces assigned to the original, much shorter Japanese text - without cutting any of the original script at all. The fact that the team managed this is commendable, but the fact that they managed to do it while also keeping the script well written, witty and interesting is nothing short of incredible. The quality of the translation is up there with the best fan efforts we've seen and is also much better than many more so-called professional localisations that appear in modern full-price releases."
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Snatcher42 wrote:
Marc wrote:I don't remember saying here or at SA that those words were explicitly in the original game. I know someone at GAF said that -- why, I don't know.
I think Artemio said it here, not sure who on SA.
Ah, well, I don't remember seeing that.

Just to let everyone know, the issue can be purchased here:

http://www.imagineshop.co.uk/item_show. ... ction=home
thisheat
Favorite Game: Double Dragon/ Metal Gear
Kojima games owned: Lots of Metal Gear stuff/ Snatcher sega cd/ Policenauts PS1
PSN: thisheat1

Post by thisheat »

Holy Crap!!!!
Just finished the game for the 1st time.....LOVED IT!!!!!! LOVED IT!!!!
My jaw was on the floor, the amount of work that this project encompassed is just staggering!!!! The dedication and obvious love for the source material is evident. I am so very thankful you guys put so much dedication into this project!!! It is truly a FANTASTIC!!!FANTASTIC!!!! GAME!!! Also, bought the GAMESTM on saturday and waited to read it until now so I could be fresh from the game.....
What a massive sucsess for the whole team!!!!
My thanks and praise guys!!!!! :)
GENE
JonnyTanna
Favorite Game: Killer7
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Series (Even down to Metal Gear Mobile)
Snatcher (all versions)
Bokatai
Zone Of The Enders
Policenauts

More gamesTM coverage

Post by JonnyTanna »

Yea Congratulations on that, it was a pretty interesting article. I remember buying the first time you were covered in GamesTM. That's what got me to check out the site.