Fallout 3 was a half-assed game. (CONTAINS UNHID SPOILERS)

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Junker_05
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: At the moment, Team Fortress 2.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid (PSone)
Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (PSP)
Policenauts (PSone)
Snatcher (Mega CD)

Fallout 3 was a half-assed game. (CONTAINS UNHID SPOILERS)

Post by Junker_05 »

I'm not sure why most critics gave rave reviews about it.

I've now played through the game twice, and all the time I spent playing that game, I want back at the end of my life.

On the technical side of things, everything is there for a great game:
*The engine used for the game is excellent (it's basically an updated Elder Scrolls IV engine)
*The gibbing, though unrealistic, is entertainingly fantastic
*There is nothing wrong with the physics engine in the game - i.e, I did not encounter bodies/objects clipping through each other at some point in the game, unless those objects were holstered weapons going through the bodies of another while not in combat

However, I think Bethesda have really done a half-assed job on Fallout 3. It could've been so much better.

I'm not some biased 12 year old who's like "OMG FALLOUT 3 the SUX000RZ!!!1111one11!1", so I'll give my reasons.
N.B: These are just my opinions and don't necessarily make what I say true, so don't flame me if you don't agree (though in my years on this board, no-ones ever really been like that).

One: Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns and even less variety.

For those of you who've played The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion thoroughly, I'm sure you'd remember that you'd start with a piss-weak character, but all the skills like Athetics, Strength, Agility etc were easily upgradeable with skill points every time you levelled up, and you only got to select a certain amount of skills at the start of the game right after you built your character and witnessed the death of King Septim.

Oblivion had a plethora of weapons, and allowed you to bestow magical powers on them with the help of the Sigil Stones you find in the several plains of Oblivion. Most of the later weapons were very decent indeed even without upgrades. And the great thing about them was that they seemed to last forever. Though when they did finally break, it only takes a few levels of upgrading the correct according skill to be able to repair them, with or without magic.

At the start of Fallout 3 you start off as a piss-weak character, but skill points such as Strength and Agility aren't upgradeable, yet in liu of this you get to add to the seemingly non-stop list of character skills such as Speech, the ability to do more damage with small, big, or energy weapons, lockpicking etc, less than half of these skills of which you never actually find yourself using or taking effect.

The arsenal of Fallout 3 was both very limited and uninspired. Weapons consist of around 2 types of pistols, shotguns, SMGs, assault rifles and only one type of each big weapon such as a rocket launcher, a minigun and a short-range mini-nuke launcher dubbed "The Fat Man". As for the energy weapons, all of them are next to completely useless in terms of damage, and I found that ammo for them is in rather short supply in comparison to "real" guns.

Weapons in Fallout 3 have the durability of a Taiwanese-manufactured imitation Spider-Man figurine. You find yourself constantly having to pay shitloads of bottle caps to repair them after, say, every 3 gun battles because your character, even after upgrading his/her accuracy all this time, still can't hit a fat man in a pie shop. By the time you can actually repair these fragile pieces of crap yourself, you find yourself having done half the side-quests and at the very last bit of the game, about to punch in the code for Project Purity.

The armor you recieved in Oblivion with magical powers actually did something noticeable to your character, because whenever you took the armor off, you found yourself extremely vulnerable to anything and everything. There were several types of armor and garments, and not one of them looked identical and each did something different, or did something the same, but with a much increased effect on one of your skills or abilities.

Fallout 3, however, had very little items of armor or garments, and apart from the defense upgrades on them, did jack shit to your actual abilities such as strength and agility. They claim to have done so, but the change was very minor; borderline unnoticeable.

Two: There is seriously not "80 solid hours of gameplay" in Fallout 3.

Though Bethesda and reviewers claim this, there is really not 80 hours of gameplay in here.
Well, technically it can be 80 solid hours... only if you decide to walk everywhere instead of fast-travelling. But really, how much fun is that? 20 hours of actual quests and 60 hours of walking from one fucking place to another across a baron wasteland that looks exactly the same, mile after mile? Can you honestly be bothered? I want a show of people who have played Fallout 3 who used fast-travel everywhere. But who didn't? Hell, I did it shamelessly. Purely because, once again, I do not want to hold down the W key for hours on end while I watch my character runs ever-so-slowly from one side of the huge, huge map to the other.

Three: All four endings were anti-climactic, thus making the game even worse.

In fear of giving away more spoilers to the people who haven't played Fallout 3 all the way through or even at all, I'm just going to leave the people who have played it to ponder. All four are half-assed, unoriginal and predictable.

Fallout 3 was quite possibly the hugest disappointment of a game that had recieved so much hype.
"Don't get even - GET MAD!" - Joker, Batman: The Killing Joke
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
PSN: Commander_AK-47

Re: Fallout 3 was a half-assed game. (CONTAINS UNHID SPOILERS)

Post by Commander_AK-47 »

My urge to oppose you is unbearable, but I am outnumbered. Never mind, forget I said anything.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Well, I thought it was game of the year 2008. But oh well, can't please everyone.
Junker_05
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Metal Gear Ac!d (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (PSP)
Policenauts (PSone)
Snatcher (Mega CD)

Post by Junker_05 »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:My urge to oppose you is unbearable, but I am outnumbered. Never mind, forget I said anything.
No no, please! If I didn't want your opinions, I wouldn't have posted that lengthy sunuvabitch :P.
Henry Spencer wrote:Well, I thought it was game of the year 2008. But oh well, can't please everyone.
You too! Share your views with me. I just want to see why so many people thought it was a work of right genius.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Post by Dick Motorman »

I thought Ghost and I where the only ones. However, it wasn't half assed... it was pretty much a double cheeker.
Fallout 3 was quite possibly the hugest disappointment of a game that had recieved so much hype.
and this ^ is debatable
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Well, I loved the hell out of it. I don't think Bethesda botched anything and I don't dislike the game just because Bethesda merged Fallout with Elder Scrolls. People wanted the original Fallout and when this came they hated it but it really is a very well made game. I admit, it does have a few flaws and annoying bugs but all the reason people hate it is because it was made into an Oblivion style game, and I for one am fine with that. Sure maybe the FPS shooting is a little slow and the combat is a little chunky but I can live with that.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

It's a dick thing to generalize why 'everyone' hates it you can't "just because" things like that. It's not just the fact that it's basically Oblivion with different (and funnily enough, barely updated) graphics. A major problem is the fact that the story is whole heartedly lame, uninteresting and boring. It's generic, nothing new or different in terms of story, or in terms of gameplay. Maybe you appreciate mediocrity in games, but personally I don't and I'm sick of it. And you said it yourself the controls are clunky. I can look past small negative things in games, like some textures being flat or something in that vein, when the game as a whole is good, but this game lacks in nearly every department. How a company can let a game go out with all the bugs that this game had is beyond me, and incredibly unprofessional. It's a joke, Bethesda basically jerked off on the faces of Fallout fans, and gamers alike, at least MGS4 was free of bugs and a properly finished game, thats much more than what can be said of Fallout 3. It feels more like a beta, or even a game a couple of guys made in their basement with Source, or the Quake engine rather than a game I'm supposed to shell out sixty bucks for.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Don't you think you're overreacting? Some of that stuff you said is true but not to that extent. The game is not unbearable. I understand your point but i think you are exaggerating.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Not really, no.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

The PC version was almost free of the bugs you get for 360 and PS3 versions...

The game is a FPS-RPG. Quite original. And yes I did play Oblivion, and the gameplay is quite different. It's like saying all of the games that use the Unreal engine are the same (and guess how many of them there are?).
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

no, not very original at all actually, but I digress. I don't care enough about this steaming pile to debate it's merit anymore.
XenoMorph
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

In a nutshell, I think Fallout 1 & 2 both had good story, great characters (Sulik, Harold, The Mutant Master...) and a world where you were provided with choices to progress as you saw fit. All these things were left out of Fallout 3. If I'm not completely mistaken, you could finish Fallout 1&2 without hurting anyone (maybe there were a few exceptions, can't honestly recall). They both, however, had a bad combat engine. The enemies just came at you like hungry, crazed weasels with guns. Still, I think the combat in those two games was more entertaining than in Fallout 3.

Fallout 3... FFS, It's not really a fallout game. I mean, the Fallout universe was tied, gagged, raped by Billy Bob and his Uncle and thrown to what was left of the hungry, crazed weasels that you managed to spare from death in the previous 2 games. Thw whole thing with taking the setting to east coast makes Bethesda think everything that happened in the previous games doesn't have to be taken into account...

... Which takes me to my final point. The fact that Bethesda couldn't make up a new threat to the game but decided to take the antagonists from both previous games goes to show they weren't trying to make a sequel, they were basically making a retard-cousin to Fallout, void of original ideas. Cashing in on a popular francise.

Despite of this, I liked Fallout 3 enough as an RPG. Then again, it's hard for me NOT to like RPG's (save for the shit that was Oblivion, sheesh!). As an RPG, it's an ok game, but as a Fallout... Well, let's just say they should have called this game something else.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

But the old Fallout games have dated awfully. People continue to raise them on such a high pedestal, and yes, 1 and 2 have amazing storylines (in the top ten of all time as far as games go), far, far better than 3's, but come on guys, the games freaking old and are almost unplayable anymore. Have any of you played the old Fallout games lately? Nostalgia sure as hell hides its true being in this case. 3 was separated from the rest of the universe for good reason if you ask me; so that Bethesda wouldn't stomp on the old storylines and retcon everything. For that, I am grateful.

How would you guys go about making a new Fallout game? Because, let's face it, the various console games in the series have been downright turdish. Brotherhood of Steel for the Xbox, anyone? I think Fallout needing a next generation upgrade, and I think it got it. The whole game is about immersion.

With all of that said and done, I'm still looking forward to the Fallout MMO and the expansions for Fallout 3, which will continue the "story".
XenoMorph

Post by XenoMorph »

You didn't exactly say what makes them so "unplayable" nowadays. As long as you don't prefer graphics over gameplay, I can't see any reason why one couldn't still enjoy these games (I got my friend excited about them after he was a bit disappointed in Fallout 3. He's never tried the previous games until now).

I mean, look at Ultima 4. Ancient game with graphics from the stone age, yes. It's simple, but what the game does, it does superbly. It's not your basic "man saves world from evil" setting, but rather, thriving to be an "avatar", who possesses all the 8 virtues: Honesty, Compassion, Valor, Justice, Honor, Sacrifice, Spirituality and Humility. To put it simply, become a spiritual leader and an example to the people of the world of Britannia.

I'm not saying that they don't make good games anymore. I'm saying game developers nowadays are too afraid to take risks with their games. They make a collection of "cool shit" that's marketed as a game, and it's that brilliant marketing that nets the good scores from reviewers. This does not make the game any better though, it just makes the game SEEM better in the eyes of the public who have not had the chance to test this next pinnacle of gaming history.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
sad_muso

Post by sad_muso »

Fallout 3 single-handedly restored my faith in modern games. The game is totally immense and engrossing and I can't say anything bad about it whatsoever. It was the first and only RPG I've ever played, and when I tried Oblivion after I just couldn't get into it.

Post-apocalyptia > Wizards and goblins
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Post by DOTL »

For me, Fallout 3 is pretty much just Fallout in 3D.
They didn´t really invent new things for this game. You always had the pause function, in Fallout 1 everything in battle happens round based if I remember right.
The Skill system is the same, the endings were made in the same style, too.
And you can basicly do the same: Either kill everyone or let everyone live.
I only played Fallout 1, and watched the cutcscenes of 2.
I was a bit disappointed by the story, I thought it was a bit boring.
But the gameplay is okay, and I had much fun with it.

Overall, Fallout3 is a pretty good game IMO.
But I have to admit that I wouldn´t have enjoyed it so much without having played Fallout 1 before.

Bugs: PS 3 chrashed several times, mostly during levelchange, and Liberty Prime missions :-(
XenoMorph

Post by XenoMorph »

Well, I just noticed that the original team that designed the first two games is on the development team of New Vegas. Let's hope it turns out better than Bethesda's previous attempt.
shadrach

Post by shadrach »

There are a lot of bits like that in Fallout 3. Similar with Leo and his addiction. It's just so half-baked or not properly implemented that it doesn't do you any good. The game is a buggy mess. This is getting ridiculous. People playing the game on PC have some kind of maintenance console where they can clear up little problems like these, but we console players are screwed until a patch comes out. All you need to do it press the guide button and press X to sign out. When selecting to sign in a gamertag simple scroll all the way to the left and select recover tag instead of an actual gamertag, obviously you will need to know your Hotmail addy and password.
jhonsadins

Re: Fallout 3 was a half-assed game. (CONTAINS UNHID SPOILER

Post by jhonsadins »

Oblivion had a plethora of weapons, and allowed you to bestow magical powers on them with the help of the Sigil Stones you find in the several plains of Oblivion. Most of the later weapons were very decent indeed even without upgrades. And the great thing about them was that they seemed to last forever. Though when they did finally break, it only takes a few levels of upgrading the correct according skill to be able to repair them, with or without magic.
Dezu
Favorite Game: Final Fantasy VII
Kojima games owned: MGS The Twin Snakes
MGS2 Substance
MGS3
MGS4
MGS Portable Ops
Snatcher
Policenauts
PSN: DezuReborn

Post by Dezu »

'I've now played through the game twice, and all the time I spent playing that game, I want back at the end of my life.'

Junker_05
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Metal Gear Ac!d (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (PSP)
Policenauts (PSone)
Snatcher (Mega CD)

Post by Junker_05 »

This thread is age-old. Why the fuck are people quoting it in here??
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I played Fallout 3 recently, and I agree that it's a half-assed game.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

Sorry to post my 2 cents in a dead thread...
But I recommend "Fallout - New Vegas" to those who enjoyed or were dissapointed by Fallout 3!

I'm REALLY enjoying the games new features that just really make the game more fun and interesting than the last Fallout!
While it's still using the really outdated and "stiff" Fallout 3 engine the new features and location of "New Vegas" make up for it.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack