MGS2 Cutscene analysis

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
GcDiaz

MGS2 Cutscene analysis

Post by GcDiaz »

Maybe you guys can help me with this...

I know it's been a WHILE, but this has been bugging me since I first beat the game so many years ago. I think the final cutscene on Arsenal Gear was censored...I don't see how Gear can just show up in downtown Manhattan (Very close to ground Zero, by the way, you can tell by the statue of GW). with no footage of the crash/landing. Perhaps Konami didn't want to offend anyone? I can understand that they'd want to avoid that sort of backlash, but if so, why not release the full scene with Substance? I'd like to ask someone of authority if what I think is true. What do you guys think?

GcD
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Well, it was official taht it was censored/changed by 9/11. Pics of the original scene can be found at:

http://junkerhq.net/MetalGear/makingbookimages.html

(Click on New York (Removed Scene))

For info on the original scene, read the script in the Document of Metal Gear Solid.

I think that it was never shown again due to two reasons..

1) Not to alter the original game (that was released)
2) Work in MGS3 (and not having to redo the stuff)
3) Respect
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
GcDiaz

Post by GcDiaz »

No kidding!? I had no idea...What is the "Document"? Is that a separate disk or a book?
Any idea on where I'd find it?
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

9-11 took out alot of good ideas, yet they didn't have to, not saying I hate 9-11 cause this :shock: . I wanted to see snake escape an exploding tanker. :x I yet to wonder if that wasn't just taken out, but removed cause of space and production problems.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Snake Plissken wrote:I wanted to see snake escape an exploding tanker. :x I yet to wonder if that wasn't just taken out, but removed cause of space and production problems.
That was taken out because Kojima though it was no fun to play, just sheer eye candy. He states it in the euro release extras disc I believe....
GcDiaz wrote:What is the "Document"? Is that a separate disk or a book?
Any idea on where I'd find it?
A separate disc, scans are here:

Document of MGS2

Depending on where you live, a shop may be an option, an online shop or ebay....
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

I saw a copy at EB Games, Ill definatly be sure to pic it up next time I see that baby 8)
Tao

Post by Tao »

Snake Plissken wrote:9-11 took out alot of good ideas, yet they didn't have to, not saying I hate 9-11 cause this :shock: . I wanted to see snake escape an exploding tanker. :x I yet to wonder if that wasn't just taken out, but removed cause of space and production problems.
I thought I read somewhere that the sinking tanker sequence had been taken out due to the technical limitations of the PS2's hardware--they couldn't get it to meet Kojima's original expectations.
GcDiaz

Post by GcDiaz »

Found it for 9 bucks on Ebay, should be arriving soon.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Tao wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:9-11 took out alot of good ideas, yet they didn't have to, not saying I hate 9-11 cause this :shock: . I wanted to see snake escape an exploding tanker. :x I yet to wonder if that wasn't just taken out, but removed cause of space and production problems.
I thought I read somewhere that the sinking tanker sequence had been taken out due to the technical limitations of the PS2's hardware--they couldn't get it to meet Kojima's original expectations.
He also said he wanted snipers manning searchlights, but it was too much on the hardware. Dunno where this would have fit into the game anyway, though, since the Plant is set during the day. And the Tanker, well the only place they would have been really is at the rear where the game starts. Seems rather sudden to me, to put it in a place like that.
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

You're absolutely right Artemio, Kojima-san does say on the European Bonus DVD that he removed the Snake escaping the tanker scene because it was no fun to play, just holding directions.

Also, isn't the suspense of Snake's survival held better if we don't actually see/play him escaping from the tanker?
Last edited by Jonathan Ingram on Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

if I find time I'll give my document a good look, its been a while.
Kami

Post by Kami »

It were the <B>Patriots</B> who take that cutscene off the game(just kidding) :P
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Well look at this:

"Rumor #3: Someone is making a video game that will feature the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Source: The developer of the game, Germany-based Replay Studios.

The official story: GameSpot could not reach Replay officials for comment.

What we heard: When posts with headlines such as "9/11: The Game" started popping up on various forums, many thought the game would an offensive creation by terrorist sympathizers, similar to the (unfortunately) abundant suicide-bomber flash games. Like most things in life, however, the reality was much more complex. According to Replay, the game, entitled Survivor, "is a third-person disaster survival game with highly interactive locations, based on famous, authentic-historical disaster scenarios." This will not only include the horrors of Sept. 11, but also the 1985 Mexico City earthquake, the 1945 Hiroshima bombing, and the sinking of the Titanic. Why would anyone want to experience any of these hellish events? "We call this unique genre 'reality gaming,'" goes Replay's sales pitch. "[This] highly original single-player game concept has never been seen before." Incidentally, the highly original single-player game has not yet found a publisher.

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus. "

That is a total outrage, with the 9/11 attacks being in there. I could understand the Earthquake and Hurricanes seeing as they are natural disasters, but the 9/11 were caused out of hatred and this should never be put into any form of entertainment, at least not now because it happened so close to this time. :evil:
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

I think that that idea for a game is an outrage, as you put it, but not only because of the 11/9 attacks. Don't you think that the people who died in the Mexico earthquake, or Hiroshima would be upset too? Hiroshima certainly wasn't a natural disaster. And I can't help but think it a little hypocritical to say that 'these hellish events' should not be put into 'any form of entertainment' when millions of gamers will happily hack up other characters in GTA with a chainsaw, or shoot other soldiers in MGS.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

I heard rumors that the cut-scene of Arsenal Gear crashing into Manhattan was put in the Japanese version of Substance as a hidden feature for completing all five Snake Tales. Anyone cares to verify this?
GcDiaz

Post by GcDiaz »

Substance has been out long enough that the secret would be out, if it the reumor was true....

I never did get how MGS2 chars could say "la-li-lu-le-lo" with a straight face. I find it extremely jarring, especially after getting so involved in this "realistic" stealth-action thriller. At least the "infinite ammo" bandanna could be seen as an inside joke.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:I think that that idea for a game is an outrage, as you put it, but not only because of the 11/9 attacks. Don't you think that the people who died in the Mexico earthquake, or Hiroshima would be upset too? Hiroshima certainly wasn't a natural disaster. And I can't help but think it a little hypocritical to say that 'these hellish events' should not be put into 'any form of entertainment' when millions of gamers will happily hack up other characters in GTA with a chainsaw, or shoot other soldiers in MGS.
Well I mean, there was nothing true that touched millions of people ever put into GTA, and if so, they dont come out and say "HEY LOOK!" so they can create a controversy to increase sales.
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the bandana thing was between Kojima san and Tomokazu Fukushima. It has an ethical meaning and inside joke to past konami games and crappy rpgs.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

GcDiaz wrote:Substance has been out long enough that the secret would be out, if it the reumor was true....
Yeah, but this was a feature from the Japanese version that was taken out from the localized versions. (as in not featured in the US version). :p

Besides, some games tend to have little-known secrets that the average player don't find out until years after its release.
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the bandana thing was between Kojima san and Tomokazu Fukushima. It has an ethical meaning and inside joke to past konami games and crappy rpgs.
I always thought it was a Policenauts reference, what with the fact that Meryl wore a bandanna in Policenauts. Then again, I don't remember Meryl's bandanna having infinite written over it.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I might get the JP Substance sometime, so I could check it out. But the voices are in English and not Japanese, so I'm less motivated to do so. Maybe a site would have this info somewhere.
Crowley
Runner

Post by Crowley »

Ninja Kurosai wrote:
Jonathan Ingram wrote:I think that that idea for a game is an outrage, as you put it, but not only because of the 11/9 attacks. Don't you think that the people who died in the Mexico earthquake, or Hiroshima would be upset too? Hiroshima certainly wasn't a natural disaster. And I can't help but think it a little hypocritical to say that 'these hellish events' should not be put into 'any form of entertainment' when millions of gamers will happily hack up other characters in GTA with a chainsaw, or shoot other soldiers in MGS.
Well I mean, there was nothing true that touched millions of people ever put into GTA, and if so, they dont come out and say "HEY LOOK!" so they can create a controversy to increase sales.
This is a tricky thing. We have plenty of entertainment made from the second World War and Vietnam war, for example, and I don't think anybody would seriously say that 9/11 was worse than WW2. 9/11 is simply such a touchy subject because of the closeness. It was a huge emotional impact, and the problem is that you can't really fight emotion with logic. I personally can see some idea behind the 'Survivor' game. Such disasters are not only grief for the victims and those close to them, but great triumphs to those who manage to survive them (note the title).
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

You explained what I was hinting at :)
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Osiris wrote:I might get the JP Substance sometime, so I could check it out. But the voices are in English and not Japanese, so I'm less motivated to do so. Maybe a site would have this info somewhere.
Yeah. I tried that and search for any urawaza page in Japanese to see if they had such a secret listed, but no such luck.

I've seen someone on a forum claimed that it's possible, but then again, it was a forum after all.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
Osiris wrote:I might get the JP Substance sometime, so I could check it out. But the voices are in English and not Japanese, so I'm less motivated to do so. Maybe a site would have this info somewhere.
Yeah. I tried that and search for any urawaza page in Japanese to see if they had such a secret listed, but no such luck.

I've seen someone on a forum claimed that it's possible, but then again, it was a forum after all.
Was this is an English or Japanese forum?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Osiris wrote:
Johnny Undaunted wrote:

Was this is an English or Japanese forum?
Well, to be honest, it was GameFAQs of all place. The poster said it was just a pre-production demo with no sound (like the ones in Document). Make that what you will.