So, 30 years huh...

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

So, 30 years huh...

Post by Artemio »

How do you guys feel about the game now? I know most of us played the Sega CD version first, and in many cases not around the release date.

I have found a new love for the game after listening to the original music in FM from the YM2608. It feels like a warm part of my past and who I am today. It has brought great friendships online and offline, projects and good times with friend. All positive things.
Ds-i9MVVsAAeZph.jpg
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
SegaSky
Kojima games owned: SNATCHER
Policenauts
Metal Gear 1-2
Metal Gear Solid 1-V
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear Rising
Death Stranding
PSN: SegataSkyshiro
Xbox Live: SegaSky

Re: So, 30 years huh...

Post by SegaSky »

It hasn't even hit me that it's been 30 years. That's crazy. I hope someone, be it Kojima or Konami, does something to celebrate (besides the merch at the Yetee).

That said, this game is one of my all-time favorites and it's led me to meet some great people.
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

As much as I wish I had played this when it came, timing and lack of motor functions as an infant seemed to have prevented that from happening...but I can say that I do have 20+ year appreciation with the Sega cd version.

My first play through was one of the most special moments in my life, a nostalgia oozing experience that'll live in my heart forever....lying on the floor of my brothers room in the basement, controller in his hand cause lil bro law dictated my job was to watch, the volume of our tube television turned up to 100 to hear what sounded like an ominous beeping, the following explosion rattling the bunny ears on top, our eyes wide, fingers in our ears, and metal gear telling us we should have lowered our TV...ahhh so good.

I do think It was the experience that I compared (and still do) every other experience to...and not just videogames, it applied to everything. Id ask myself why whatever it was I was watching or playing wasn't making me feel the same way. Raised my standards for sure...Snatcher kind of made me a snob lol

I do believe that if anything, Snatcher has aged like a fine wine. 30 years old, yet every time I replay it I find something new to appreciate....and I swear that someday I'll find the perfect way to make Neo Kobe Pizza!!! (Last time was a disaster)
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Modnar wrote: My first play through was one of the most special moments in my life, a nostalgia oozing experience that'll live in my heart forever....lying on the floor of my brothers room in the basement, controller in his hand cause lil bro law dictated my job was to watch, the volume of our tube television turned up to 100 to hear what sounded like an ominous beeping, the following explosion rattling the bunny ears on top, our eyes wide, fingers in our ears, and metal gear telling us we should have lowered our TV...ahhh so good.
That my friend, was a great story. I could imagine it perfectly, and I believe most of use went through something similar. Thanks for sharing
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Finnegan
Favorite Game: world of warcraft
Kojima games owned: most of them

Post by Finnegan »

Man, so much nostalgia in this thread. I still vividly remember a lot of my first playthrough too. Can't believe it's been that long.
Gosaplyuo
Favorite Game: CS

Post by Gosaplyuo »

Great memories.. Nothing else to add)
effective ads for your business at aitarget.com
Hunka Junka
Favorite Game: Earthbound
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD)
Policenauts (PlayStation)
Metal Gear (NES)

Post by Hunka Junka »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ And as of October it's been 30 years since the PC Engine (aka Turbografx-16) release of Snatcher! This was not only the first CD version of Snatcher, it was also Konami's first CD-ROM game release ever! (or should we say, "CD-ROMantic?" :mrgreen:) While I'm sure it's not the most played edition amongst us, it's notable and relevant in a number of ways:
  • Due both to being the first CD version as well as 16-bit version of Snatcher, this formed the basis of all future versions of Snatcher to follow, including the sole Western release no doubt most on this board are familiar with: the Sega/ Mega CD edition!
  • This version was directly supervised by Hideo Kojima and introduced Act 3 to the game, finally giving the story a proper conclusion. Because of this JunkerHQ.net likes to think of the PCE release as Snatcher's "Director's Cut."
  • Snatcher for PCE introduced the more colorful and detailed 16-bit style graphics to the game that most fans are familiar with.
  • Some of Snatcher's most iconic music tracks saw their introduction here, including "One Night in Kobe City" (during the intro) and "Tears Stained Eyes" (during the ending).
  • Arguably most significantly, this version introduced voice acting to the game, one of the most memorable aspects of the Snatcher experience.
\:D/ Here's to 30 years (again) of Snatcher! \:D/
CDCase.jpg
PCECDCaseBack.jpg
PCECD.jpg
PCEStickers.jpg
(Thanks to JunkerHQ.net for all the info and images!)
TiripsRoirraw
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2
PSN: Spirit_-_Warrior

Post by TiripsRoirraw »

^^ interesting how Jamie's name is spelt "Jaime" but in the other version it's spelled "Jamie"
Hunka Junka
Metal Gear (NES)

Post by Hunka Junka »

I'm pretty sure "Jaime" is a misspelling. Her name in Japanese going back to the original is apparently ジェミ- which Google translates as "Jamie" (literally "Jemi -").

Funny thing is according to junkerHQ.net the instruction manuals for both the PC88 and MSX Snatchers has her name spelled in English as "Jaime." So either they wanted to give her some quirky alternate spelling for her name or somebody made an initial misspelling and it just got carried over because, well, it's already on all this official stuff (or simply nobody caught it...) until it got localized for the west.

Assuming it was a mistake all along, I wonder if it was an honest error (as in they thought that's how the name "Jamie" was spelled) or if it was just a typo! :lol: :mrgreen:
Hunka Junka
Metal Gear (NES)

Post by Hunka Junka »

Jumping off from the prior post, it got me curious how the Japanese version of the Sega/Mega CD Snatcher handled spelling "Jamie" when it hit me...

They never did release the Sega CD Snatcher in Japan, did they?

I always just kind of assumed they did, but I have never once seen any evidence that it was, and doing a quick search didn't bring up anything, either. I know Sega wasn't quite as popular in Japan as in the West, but it still surprises me considering how relatively easy doing a straight Japanese port surely would've been.

In all these years that never even occurred to me. Huh! :-k

(Sorry for the digression!)
SegaSky
Kojima games owned: SNATCHER
Policenauts
Metal Gear 1-2
Metal Gear Solid 1-V
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear Rising
Death Stranding
PSN: SegataSkyshiro
Xbox Live: SegaSky

Post by SegaSky »

I guess Konami figured backporting the English version back to Japanese wouldn't be worth it.