how wouild i translate a game?

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
faisal

how wouild i translate a game?

Post by faisal »

hi there i am wondering, how would i go abouts translating a game from one language to another?

ps does any one have the policenauts trailer?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

As I have stated in the past there is no general procedure.... Just a series of general steps that *might* need to be done:

1) Find how the text is encoded
2) Decode the text and have it translated, keeping the original references and any control codes
3) Re-insert the text into the game, most probably will need recoding in assembler of some parts of the text displaying engine, pointer management, etc...

Neither of the steps is easy, and there is no general direction that can be taken.. each is specific to the game in question.

The trailers are in the Private Collection and Pilot Disk, which can be bought in several places.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Takamichi

Post by Takamichi »

As far as my knowledge goes, things are VERY HARD if the original developer is not willing to cooperate, or if the original codes are lost.

About the effort of the language translating process itself, it's not small :wink: , but not much compared to other part of the "game translation" process. I sometimes actually visit location of the places that appear in the game (for instance, I used to live in Kobe for several months), but since Space Colonies aren't built yet, I don't happen to visit there as a policeman, unfortunately. :wink:
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

This is where we would get the inspiration from, I beleive 8)
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

or you can go to my best friend's site at web tv at his snatcher and policenauts site, hes got a guide completley tellin ya which thing to press and why and what it means!!!!!!!!! Now print every section off, go play this game, and have fun

http://community-2.webtv.net/Policenaut/Walkthrough/
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Snake Plissken wrote:or you can go to my best friend's site at web tv at his snatcher and policenauts site, hes got a guide completley tellin ya which thing to press and why and what it means!!!!!!!!! Now print every section off, go play this game, and have fun

Meh! While it does it's job for a walkthough, there's quite a few translation mistakes there. For example, the reason why you can't go to the Hôjô residence after you meet Ed is because his address is kept classified from the BCP's data bank (not because going to the Tokugawa Pharmacy has a higher priortity). You get Hôjô's address from Michael Saitô.
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:or you can go to my best friend's site at web tv at his snatcher and policenauts site, hes got a guide completley tellin ya which thing to press and why and what it means!!!!!!!!! Now print every section off, go play this game, and have fun

Meh! While it does it's job for a walkthough, there's quite a few translation mistakes there. For example, the reason why you can't go to the Hôjô residence after you meet Ed is because his address is kept classified from the BCP's data bank (not because going to the Tokugawa Pharmacy has a higher priortity). You get Hôjô's address from Michael Saitô.
yeah I noticed that too, but heck its pretty conventional for the mean time :wink:
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

That wouldn't happen to Liquid Snake's site would it...... :D
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

Ninja Kurosai wrote:That wouldn't happen to Liquid Snake's site would it...... :D
indeedee it is :wink: Me and him are still talking about natic flashware I believe.