Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

If that's the case, will Snatcher's translation be a patch? (Or, if not, are there any translation patches currently available?)
Personally, I think the experience would be ruined without English menus and subtitles - you'd have to keep going back and forth between the translation and game, and, therefore, won't have the option to deviate from the document's set path. (For example, examining unimportant items onscreen.) You'd probably have to read the translation before each cut-scene, as well, since you won't be able to keep up with it otherwise.
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

The target is of course a full translation. But it is only the goal, just as Snatcher was.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:(By the way, Snatcher, which version do you consider the best? The PSOne or Saturn version?)
Those are actually the two worst versions of Snatcher, but if you must pick between only those two, get the Saturn version. It's censored slightly less.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Snatcher wrote:The target is of course a full translation. But it is only the goal, just as Snatcher was.
So, it will be nothing more than a document? (And there are no patches currently available that will replace the Japanese with English text?)
8bitsonic wrote:Those are actually the two worst versions of Snatcher, but if you must pick between only those two, get the Saturn version. It's censored slightly less.
Hahaha, are you saying I should buy a 3D0? I never cared much about censorship - My goal is quality; Which Policenauts version offers the best experience overall? (Can you help me out here, Snatcher?) :grin:

By the way, thanks for all the info - I'm sure my questions are annoying. :razz:
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

What? You were talking about Snatcher versions, not Policenauts versions. And the two play exactly the same, for what it's worth, only the PSX version is more heavily censored.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Hahaha, I'm sorry - I was addressing Snatcher, the user. (That's why all those "unnecessary commas" were there.) I apologize for the confusion - I consider Snatcher, the user, the best resource on this kind of thing since he's the webmaster/collector/fanatic. Again, sorry for the confusion. :grin:

I guess I'm just getting ahead of myself - I'm just trying to figure out what the best way to experience Policenauts is. Unfortunately, Kojima games are intricate and text-heavy, so even attempting a Japanese-speaking game like Policenauts seems silly. However, from what I've read, there doesn't seem to be anything but translated documents; There aren't any translation patches that will switch the text. (Or, at least, I couldn't find any, and I'm a horrible "searcher.") I was hoping you guys could enlighten me with your extensive Policenauts knowledge. :D
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Oh. Damn. I'm losing my mind.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:
Snatcher wrote:The target is of course a full translation. But it is only the goal, just as Snatcher was.
So, it will be nothing more than a document? (And there are no patches currently available that will replace the Japanese with English text?)
8bitsonic wrote:Those are actually the two worst versions of Snatcher, but if you must pick between only those two, get the Saturn version. It's censored slightly less.
Hahaha, are you saying I should buy a 3D0? I never cared much about censorship - My goal is quality; Which Policenauts version offers the best experience overall? (Can you help me out here, Snatcher?) :grin:

By the way, thanks for all the info - I'm sure my questions are annoying. :razz:
No I mean that the target would be a full patch if possible, just as we did with snatchr. But we don't know what will be achieved.

And about the best version, all of them are good and have their little somethings... But I'd go with the saturn or PC9821 versions.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Indeed, the Saturn version is probably the best and easiest to get playing.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Awesome! Thank you for your info! I definitely support the project! Good luck with it!
One last question, though - If it's completed, what system will the patch be for? The Sega Saturn version? (Basically, I'll purchase the version I can expect the patch* for.) :razz:

My plan is to purchase Policenauts and immediately rip the game to my PC. (I prefer making digital versions to preserve the originals. The ending to Metroid Fusion is an example of this, if I may use a more outlandish, vaguely-related video game reference.) Next, I'll wait out the patch* Snatcher, the user, is developing, and create a CD-R version for play on my actual console. (From what I understand, an Action Replay can be used to play imports and CD-R's. Or, at least, that's what I've read so far - If anyone can confirm/refute this, let me know!) Basically, it's all future planning from here.

* Assuming it's completed.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

We don't knwo what is the version that will be translated. That depends on the team we assemble. I just provide the webspace, means for communication, my skills and dumping the texts. I don't have the time to go inthe the hacking... but having someone to hack the game without the previous translation work won't do.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Personally, I may buy the PlayStation version, since the Sega Saturn emulators available now aren't competent at even running first-generation games. (Such as NiGHTS Into Dreams.) However, emulators, like ePSXe, can handle just about everything.
If anything, though, I'd recommend translating one of the more easily accessible versions - Patching the 3D0 or PC98 versions would alienate a good number of people. (Both due to the insane pricing and rarity of the games and consoles.) But, whatever the version, I support the project.

By the way, I apologize if mentioning emulation is not permitted.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:Personally, I may buy the PlayStation version, since the Sega Saturn emulators available now aren't competent at even running first-generation games. (Such as NiGHTS Into Dreams.) However, emulators, like ePSXe, can handle just about everything.
Well, the Saturn version has a few additional scenes and features (such as light gun support and a glossary of terms) not in the PlayStation version, but they're really quite minor and not that essentially (especially if you own Private Collection).
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

That's good to know - I'll probably hold out for a Saturn version, but, judging from the last time I used Satourne or Giri-Giri/Cassini, I'm guessing that emulating a game may be an issue. (Unfortunately, "4-in-1" Action Replay's don't allow you to use CD-R's on your Saturn console.)
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:That's good to know - I'll probably hold out for a Saturn version, but, judging from the last time I used Satourne or Giri-Giri/Cassini, I'm guessing that emulating a game may be an issue. (Unfortunately, "4-in-1" Action Replay's don't allow you to use CD-R's on your Saturn console.)
I heard SSF is quite good and is starting to catch up to Cassini/Giri-Giri in terms of quality (if it hasn't surpassed it already). It runs a bit slow on my PC.
Random

Post by Random »

noooooooooooooooo! please let it be the saturn version!!! patches for both versions would be perfect, but how likely?
the psx version would reach more people, but the saturn version would need some love also :razz:
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

It is a matter of what can be achieved technicaly as we progress, not about preference.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Yeah, obviously the Saturn version would be ideal because it is the most complete version, but you do what you can do. (I know some people prefer the PC98 version the most, too!) Everyone involved with the, how will I put it... The exploration of the game's code for the benefit of translation, :cool: is working hard to get the game to run with text resinerted in, so beggars can't be choosers. There are a lot of problems still ahead, so let us hope we can get one version done at least.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Also, if we are able to get one of them translated, we'll be able to translate both.. eventually. There are enough similarities to just leave it at that after one. But we are tyalñking way ahead of us.. there is still a lot of work to do.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Random

Post by Random »

best of luck to you guys
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

Can I put in a vote for the PSX version? Especially since it had the re-release back in 2003, was it? it was after the time Konami ditched the red and orange cross for that god-awful Avon/Cosmetics logo. :sad:

Though I don't know if the patch would have to be different between the original PSX release and the re-release.

DT
Elrich2k3

Post by Elrich2k3 »

Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

Thats one of our guys... so to speak, well i just meant that hes a big guy hear too. Mr. good ol Jack burton...heheheh
Elrich2k3

Post by Elrich2k3 »

Haha, well I figure it might be, but I decided --- better safe than sorry. Or rather, better ... informative than... silent? Something like that.