fMSX for PSP help

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
originalcracker

fMSX for PSP help

Post by originalcracker »

Has anybody been able to get Snatcher to work on the fMSX port for the PSP. I tried, but have yet to get the game to boot up.

Well, I've never actually gotten Snatcher to run on any MSX emulator as the MSX confounds me. I don't understand how to get .dsk files to run on it. I can do the cart roms just fine though.

Thanks for any help.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

EDIT: Nevermind thought you were talking about booting the actual emu up.

Well, I can get DSK games to work with mine, but not Snatcher for some reason. I'm using the one with the snatche0.dsk that has the install option. It freezes on the display of the Snatcher background pic :/
originalcracker

Well, I've gotten to where you are at. I too am stuck at the Snatcher screen that freezes.

But, I've gotten SD Snatcher to work, yippie!

I've also gotten the regular Snatcher (in Japanese) to work. I've just only had problems with the translated version.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

I don´t know if it´s a good idea to have emulators on a PSP the police could be watching what your playing and bust you but the problay don´t know s### about that
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Snake700 wrote:I don´t know if it´s a good idea to have emulators on a PSP the police could be watching what your playing and bust you but the problay don´t know s### about that
I doubt cops are gonna lean over your shoulder, know that Snatcher isn't a regular PSP release, and arrest you.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

originalcracker wrote:Well, I've gotten to where you are at. I too am stuck at the Snatcher screen that freezes.
I just tried it and it indeed freezes. It might be because it requires aditional stuff that what is emulated at the moment. When ran in other emulators on the PC, it displays the options fot the user (0 Run, 1 Install) and after that, displays the message to change the disk to disk 1. It immediately prompts for any key to be pressed, and after that it works perfectly. I tried the sequence of steps on the PSP with no results at all (imagining that it might not display the messages).

So.. I guess we'll have to wait for new releases.

Here are the requirements:

These are the requirements (play from disk):

- Any MSX2 or later
- BDOS 1.0 or later
- 144KB of Mapped RAM (plus 32kb if BDOS2 is used)
- 128KB of VRAM

It must be a problem with the RAM or VRAM I guess.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
originalcracker

Cool, I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before everything is fully implemented.

Well, I can play SD Snatcher in the mean time. But I've had a small problem with that too. I can't save. I've been able to get a USER DISK, and gotten the game to recognize that I have one, and it pretends to save. But no character rank or game info gets saved.

After the save screen, whether I've saved or not, the music doesn't start up again unless it is prompted to (like a new track is supposed to play). But sounds play when they are supposed to.

OK, I'll look into this further.
originalcracker

Hahah. I figured out how to save on SD Snatcher using a User Disk.

F2 brings up the save feature, then asks you to insert the User Disk into the MSX. Just chose drive A and then the User Disk. Then go back to the Save screen and push space. This will load the User Disk.

Now choose your spot to save and press space. This will save the game, but it isn't over yet, if you do the next step wrong the save will not be recorded. The game will say "Disk 1 (or 2 or 3) please... press space". Go back to the fMSX menu and choose drive A. Now you will get a message in Japanese (I've not translated it myselv, but I guess it is asking if you want to risk continuing or not). Choose the correct option (for me, that would be the "CIRCLE" button as I'm running this on a Japanese PSP and the fMSX emu for PSP is Japanese made and so is the file selector that was used in it...I think). Then simply choose the disk that SD Snatcher asked for, continue and press space. Doing it this way will also let the music play again.

To check if it worked, press F3 to load saves from the User Disk. Follow the same procedures for Loading as you did for saving, choosing the correct button when propted with the choice of "O" or "X". Again, for me, the correct button was "O".

This may take some trial and erreo testing by you to understand it, it did for me.

If anybody needs help finding a User Disk, just ask and I'll help you out. Other wise, you can't save using fMSX's save state feature, but you can do a quick save state which will get erased when you stop the game.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

There's actually a much easier way of saving and loading. If you go to the options on the fMSX emulator, you can shortcut buttons for saving and loading. I use SELECT+R for saving and START+R for loading. I got used to them, as they're defaults on the PSP NES emulator I use.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Just thought I should post a couple of images. Here are SD Snatcher (translated version with No SCC+) and Snatcher (original Japanese version)
Attachments
Snatcher
Snatcher
SD Snatcher
SD Snatcher
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
originalcracker

I'll post a little update to the user disk saving method.

So, follow my directions, use the usre disk, press space when prompted. Note, that this is for PSP help. When the emulator asks you a question in Japanese, choose the positive answer (circle, in my case). If you did this correctly, you will get a message in Japanese in the MIDDLE of the screen. If you chose the negative answer (X in my case), you will get a message in Japanese on the LEFT side of the screen. It that happened, you will need to save again and do it the right way.

Oh, when you get to the Snatcher Hunting game at Center Plaza....be readdy for some trial and error with the controlls. Here is how I got past that part:

Go to the config menu in the emulator (again, for PSP). Go to key config, and set the "7" key to the left direction button. Set the "8" key to the up direction button. And set the "9" key to the right direction button. I've tried setting the down button to the other keys, but could not get it to work.

Doing the game this way will give you 3 targets to hit the Snatchers at. Other than that, you'll need a little luck so that enough Snatchers get in the right place... and $50 for each time you play. It won't take long, pretty easy once you get used to it. I even made $1000 playing the game later on.
originalcracker

Have you gotten very far in Snatcher on PSP? I came to realize that it will take the number keys to shoot the Snatchers, right? This is a difficult thing to do on the PSP. We can't hover over six buttons. It is trickier to do in the fmsx keyboard.

But, hopfully, Sega CD emulation will be in soon. And perhaps PCE for PSP will get updated again and fix the crashing problem that Snatcher has been having.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Snatcher wrote:Just thought I should post a couple of images. Here are SD Snatcher (translated version with No SCC+) and Snatcher (original Japanese version)
That keyboard it got japanise characters under the english characters so it´s easy to translate a game from Japanise to English even if you can´t Japanise?
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

I couldn't undestand your post very well, but I guess you asked that since the emulator keyboard has Japanese characters under it, it might be easy to play japanese games even if you don't know Japanese?

If that is the question, that keyboard is only for input purposes on the emulated game, be it either in japanese or english (whatever the game supports), and has nothing to do with regards of translating the game.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

I think what he's asking is if the Japanese character on the key is equivalent the English letter next to it. My answer is no...I don't think the two characters have anything to do with each other...I think it's just a combination of the QWERTY and Japanese keyboard layouts.

Just curious...how come you didn't just take a screenshot of your screen by hitting "Print Screen" if you use Windows, or "Apple-Shift-3" if you use a Mac? I was kind of bewildered.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

8bitsonic wrote:I think what he's asking is if the Japanese character on the key is equivalent the English letter next to it. My answer is no...I don't think the two characters have anything to do with each other...I think it's just a combination of the QWERTY and Japanese keyboard layouts.
Indeed, they have nothing to do with each other at all.
8bitsonic wrote: Just curious...how come you didn't just take a screenshot of your screen by hitting "Print Screen" if you use Windows, or "Apple-Shift-3" if you use a Mac? I was kind of bewildered.
Because the PSP has no keyboard. And thus, it has no Print screen or "Apple-Shift-3" key.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

originalcracker wrote:Have you gotten very far in Snatcher on PSP? I came to realize that it will take the number keys to shoot the Snatchers, right? This is a difficult thing to do on the PSP. We can't hover over six buttons. It is trickier to do in the fmsx keyboard.
If it was difficult on the PC emulator....
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

Snatcher wrote:the PSP has no keyboard.
Ohhhh.....sorry...I thought that was a picture of your computer monitor. I was wondering why the screen was so wide...
Ozzye

Post by Ozzye »

Hehe, same here! :grin:
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

8bitsonic wrote:
Snatcher wrote:the PSP has no keyboard.
Ohhhh.....sorry...I thought that was a picture of your computer monitor. I was wondering why the screen was so wide...
Wouldn't have made so much differente though...
Attachments
desktop.jpg
Last edited by Artemio on Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Heh. That's almost funny.
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Nothing like 1680x1050. I'd hate to not be able to view two documents side by side, or a website and its source.
Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

I'd rather use the native 1920x1200 though.. But I can live with the 4:3 display at home quite nicely.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Well, let me tell you that 1440x900 is nothing to sneeze at either. It's ideal for playing SD-Snatcher at a reasonably large size with the walkthrough next to it. :???:
Attachments
Desktop.png
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:Nothing like 1680x1050. I'd hate to not be able to view two documents side by side, or a website and its source. (not that that's really about the Mac specifically, but, you know... you did produce a screenshot)
Christ's Fat Cock... Do you manage to slip 'I use a Mac' in to all everyday conversations as well?

That must be slightly more tricky, surely...

"Plenty of rain today, eh."

"Yes. Incidentally, the colour of the scrollbar in my Mac's Internet Browser is Rain Blue."

"Really? That's my favourite shade of blue."

"Don't be ridiculous. It doesn't exist."

"I resent your accusations of ridiculousness - you're the one who mentioned it!"

"Yes but only so I could crowbar my Mac into the conversation."

"Well in that case I'd rather not converse with you about the weather or any other topical subject, lest I have to endure more of your hastily constructed points that have clearly been contrived in order to allow mention of your arguably superior personal computer."

"Fine. Go home and watch the rain through your Windows... computer, that is! Hah hah hah."

and so on...