Plot differences between Snatcher/SD Snatcher

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
HorseFactory

Plot differences between Snatcher/SD Snatcher

Post by HorseFactory »

Hey, I'm just wondering what the key differences in plot between the two are... I've not had opportunity to play SD Snatcher yet and haven't found any urls with a storyline summary or anything.

If anyone could help that'd be great and i'm not fussed about having things spoilt for me, i've played the original a ton :)
Dave
Kojima games owned: Snatcher Pilot Disk - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher CD-ROMantic - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher - SS (NTSC-J)
Policenauts Pilot Disk - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - PSX (NTSC-J) x2
Policenauts Limited Edition - SS (NTSC-J)
Zone of The Enders - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear - NES (NTSC)
Snake's Revenge - NES (NTSc)
Metal Gear Solid - GBC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid GH - PSX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC (Sealed)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Special Missions - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Integral The Best - PSX (NTSC-J)
Bleem!cast for Metal Gear Solid - DC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Limited Edition - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear>>Solid Snake OST
Metal Gear Solid OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 The Other Side OST
Xbox Live: Devin320

Post by Dave »

SD Snatcher is based loosely on the Snatcher story. There are too many differences I don't know where I would begin. Well, for one it is an RPG with the standard isometric RPG view. Jamie works in Junker HQ with a robot. You go with gibson to the warehouse where he is killed. You kill a human on accident. That's right off the top of my head there are a lot of differences though. Oh ya, everyone has big heads :grin:
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

There's quite a lot of story differences between the two, but the most interesting ones are in the end of the game, since the ending in SD Snatcher was based on an earlier draft. As you may or may not know, Act 3 wasn't included until the PC-Engine version:

1) After Jaime is kidnapped, Gillian arrives at the Syd Garden through an underground tunnel in Junker HQ (located behind the chief's picture).

2) It's only the Syd Garden itself and not the whole Neo Kobe island which parallels Moscow in terms of geographical formation. The place where the Snatchers' hideout is located is in a maze of mirrors.

3) Gillian meets Dr. Petrovich (Randam's "father") in Neo Kobe Hospital after he is taken there by Randam (there's no explosion in Queens Hospital). He leaves a video message to Gillian. Dr. Petrovich is also stated to be 106-years-old.

4) The Snatcher's hideout is a giant lab filled with nuclear submarines containing Lucifer Beta (an advanced version of Lucifer Alpha) and kidnapped scientists.

5) Gillian and Randam meets Elijah Madnar, who spents a half hour explaing Gillian's past to him. However, unlike in Snatcher, Elijah is betrayed by the snatchers and confined into his room. He dies of old age.

6) There's a cure for Lucifer Beta (Angel Omega I believe), which is used during the final battle.

7) It is Jaime who reveals to Gillian that Harry is their son.

8) The final boss is a "Master Snatcher" which leads the other snatchers.

9) Unlike the ending that was used, Randam actually survives and goes to Russia with Gillian and Metal.

That's pretty much all the most significant differences between the two. I know the storyline was altered abit for SD Snatcher to make the game more RPG-ish, but since Act 3 was never included in the earlier Snatcher and there has been some evidence that Randam was originally supposed to survive, I'm curious to figure how accurate SD Snatcher was to the original proposal.
Reborn from the Ashes

Post by Reborn from the Ashes »

A couple of (minor :P) differences:

1) You actually get to meet and talk to Jean Jack. (He is still killed [by Baran Purnet] early in the game though.)

2) There is a cult which worships the Snatchers; Gillian kills the human priest after he is tricked by Lisa and Rob Clapton. Gillian is temporarily fired after shooting the Priest.

3) Katrina plays a smaller role.

4) Queen's is a Lab, rather than a Hospital, and you manage to take out Chin and all four Snatchers when you are there.
Dave
Kojima games owned: Snatcher Pilot Disk - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher CD-ROMantic - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher - SS (NTSC-J)
Policenauts Pilot Disk - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - PSX (NTSC-J) x2
Policenauts Limited Edition - SS (NTSC-J)
Zone of The Enders - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear - NES (NTSC)
Snake's Revenge - NES (NTSc)
Metal Gear Solid - GBC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid GH - PSX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC (Sealed)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Special Missions - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Integral The Best - PSX (NTSC-J)
Bleem!cast for Metal Gear Solid - DC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Limited Edition - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear>>Solid Snake OST
Metal Gear Solid OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 The Other Side OST
Xbox Live: Devin320

Post by Dave »

Was it ever confirmed that Randam died in that explosion? I know Metal Gear Survived but probably only because Randam shielded Metal from the blast. But it was never 100% confirmed that he died was it?
HorseFactory

Post by HorseFactory »

Thanks for the info guys :)
Also, if there's no explosion in Queens, how do you find out Random is a snatcher? Does Elijah mention it or something?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

HorseFactory wrote:Thanks for the info guys :)
Also, if there's no explosion in Queens, how do you find out Random is a snatcher? Does Elijah mention it or something?
Pretty much. He gets an arm wound earlier though which reveals his circuity, but nobody notices it until that point.