Help with Snatcher for PC-88 translation

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
Celcion

Help with Snatcher for PC-88 translation

Post by Celcion »

I`m planning to translate original version of Snatcher (PC-88 ), and I can hack disk images of game to get translated text inserted correctly. What I need - is translated japaneese text dump, because I don`t know japaneese at all. Somewhere in this forum I sought comment where was a statement that text dump was already translated. Can I get this translated dump?
I`m planning to insert this text and release an english version. And then use this translated text to make a russian version. So, I will also need a permission to do this.

So, if there is a ready translation in existence and someone would be agree to give it to me, I must note, that english is not my native language (sorry for my poor english, btw), so I woun`t be able to correct mistakes in text and text would be inserted "as is". :-)
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Hello my friend. I am gla dyou are interested in such a project, it would be a great addition and an invaluable resource for fans. The text that was translated was from the MSX 2 version of the game, although both Japanese text dumps exist. They are all listed at the Junker HQ's dumps page, and available for public download. The english text would have to be extracted from the Translated version of the game (a very simple task can accomlpish this), or contact either Takamichi or Daniel for the final version of the translated text dump that was used (I only have preliminar ones).
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Celcion

Post by Celcion »

But MSX2 version lacks ACT 3, am I right? So there will be no translation for ACT 3. However, if there will be PC-88 version with translated ACT 1 and ACT 2 - maybe someone will come up with translation for ACT 3, it will be really good. :-)

Extracting text from version for MSX2 - is not hard at all, of course. And if there is no difference between text in PC-88 version and MSX2 version - it`s just fine. But, if there is differences - it will be a problem, because there`s no way I will be able to compare japaneese text not by bytes, but by meaning of somewhat changed lines of it, or find where is missing lines, if there will be some of them. :-)

Well, nevertheless, I`ll try. Thanks for a tip. :-)
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

the only versions to have Act 3 are the CD versions. the MSX version of the game is a port of the PC 88 version one, and there are indeed diferences. But mainly, some text is missing in the MSX version that didn't make it in the port.

Indeed, you'll probably need help and you can have mine. Although I only have basic Japanese skills, they are useful for what you need. And any missing material can be gathered here by myself and others here that I am sure would help, as well as Takamichi if he has the time.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Celcion

Post by Celcion »

About Act 3 - I didn`t know that , because I was unable to play PC-88 version, and MSX2 version is just to slow to be actualy playable in my opinion. It`s just plain reason to translate PC-88 version - it is a way faster and very playable, but japaneese text is a BIG show stopper. :-)

BTW, your text dump of PC-88 version seems to be uncomplete somehow... It looks like that there is a little more lines of text in some places... But I`m not sure yet, I need to check this more carefully.

Well, OK. For now I`ll take some time prepare utilities for hacking, extracting and inserting text. I`ll return as soon as they will be completed.
See you. :-)
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Great, count with all our support. Indeed the MSX version is a subquality port of the PC88 version, and the PC88 version works great.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Arjak

Post by Arjak »

Wow. That would be awesome! We would greatly appreciate it. I hated the MSX version. And the translation was substandard, obviously not proofread, and had random portugeuse in it. This would be awesome. (Wait. I already said that.)
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Ah, finally, a PC-88 translation...the version the MSX port wanted to be...swell! I applaud it! The better music, higher speed, and larger graphics may soon be accessible to us English players. Good luck! I don't have to overclock NLMSX anymore, or even use it!