What exactly is Metal Gear Solid: BD for PSP supposed to be?

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Finalfantasy7

What exactly is Metal Gear Solid: BD for PSP supposed to be?

Post by Finalfantasy7 »

This famatsi scan says its PSP version of the comics:

What exactly is it supposed to be? some sort of digital format for the MGS comics?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Noriaki Okamura said in his blog that BD was revealed in that week's Famitsu, so that's legit.

It's says it'll be released next spring, and be more than just a digital comic (i.e. Snatcher, Policenauts' gameplay style) but have many other surprises/gameplay features.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

sorry....whats bd?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

A new MG game for the PSP, due out next spring in Japan.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

so kind of like a graphic adventure for Metal Gear, am i right? that would be very cool
Finalfantasy7

Post by Finalfantasy7 »

Frank Miller and Hideo Kojima are working on it.
KOJIMA REVEALS METAL GEAR SOLID: BD

Kojima and Frank Miller co-project finally revealed. A PSP slideshow comic, announced on his blog.

12:09 Scouring the interweb this morning, we happened to turn up quite a tasty little morsel of newsworthy info. Mainly that something called Metal Gear Solid BD is in development for PSP. How do we know? Well it's noted on Hideo Kojima's blog itself.
Interestingly it was reported in Famtisu recently, that Frank Miller of Sin City and 300 fame and Kojima met to talk life and business and according to some, MGS: BD was the main project they met to speak about.

When we might expect MGS:BD is unknown, but what is interesting is that in pre-MGS:Ac!d interviews, Kojima discounted a 'proper' MGS game for PSP due to the limited control system (a polite way of saying the analogue stick is dreadful). Our best guess is a slideshow comic Sin City-style, and since we loved the noirish movie, the idea certainly has potential

As for how MGS: BD slots into the overall MGS story, we simply know nothing at present. We approached Konami for comment but they appeared to be equally in the dark at time of going to press. More when we have it

sorce: www.computerandvideogames.com
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I still don't know whether to believe that's true or not. I would take it with a grain of salt. The Famitsu article showed screenshots of the game, so why would they meet to discuss the game when development is already well underway?

BD stands for bande dessinee, by the way. The French word for comic strip. Some people were asking what it stood for.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

This could very well be what the PSP needs...the only good commercial game I've played so far is Ape Escape, but that's becuase it's a port of the PSX game.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

I agree, it is an amazing piece of hardware, but is let down by, so far, bad game line up. I have played a few, Lumines is great, but does get boring, Mercury is pretty frustrating at times so i'd rather not play it for the safety of my PSP incase i throw it. Fired Up and Twisted Metal are the same pretty much, and they get boring oh so quickly, i dont like Wipeout really at all. Dead To Rights was damn good fun except it was too short and felt rushed, which leads me to the two games i actually own. THUG 2, fun but theres just something about it, it dosent feel handheld or something, and MGA, which as great as it is, it isnt something i can pick up and play for 5 minutes and then set down, you really have to get into it. I got to a certain point pretty much near the start of the game, the first time you get to control snake and the girl person, and i dont know how to use her weapons as they only equip and fire when she is fired on, so i set it down and havnt pplayed it for like 2 months now. Basically, the PSP is a handheld for long journeys, times when you wil have a bag with you so you can put it away, same for the DS, they are not for walking about and playing then stuffing iin your pocket, i dont think anyone does that but if they do they want a GBA Micro
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Burnout Legends is great, and I have high hopes for LCS, but it's better for homebrew.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

87th wrote:Burnout Legends is great, and I have high hopes for LCS, but it's better for homebrew.
Indeed, since the home versions are better, and it provides an excperience you can best at home. Good port though, and great fro those that hadn't played the console versions.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

What were you talking about there Snatcher, Burnout or LCS? and homebrew, i only use ScummVM...but in saying that im so happy about it because i hadnt played many of those games in too long, playing Sam and Max on the bus, or Monkey Island and such has been very cool
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Back to the subject at hand, I had no idea Frank Miller and Kojima were trying to team up with one another. It seems like a very strange match-up. Either way, I'm interested, but why no Shinkawa artwork?

And what the hell does "BD" stand for?
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Missing wrote:And what the hell does "BD" stand for?
Osiris wrote:BD stands for bande dessinée, by the way. The French word for comic strip. Some people were asking what it stood for.
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Thanks. Missed that the first time around. But honestly, why the hell would they call it that? That's a fairly random title.
Last edited by Missing on Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyoshiro

Post by Kyoshiro »

Missing wrote:Thanks. Missed that the first time around. But honestly, why the hell would they call it that? That's a fairly random title.
Hmm.. somehow i think Kojima just tries to mislead us with that BD. I'm pretty sure that after the game has been released we notice that BD stands for something else..
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

I know the details are light on this and all, but first, how did you all come to hear about it? And secondly, how long have Miller and Kojima wanted to collaborate?

Also, is it known yet whether this will be part of the official timeline -- maybe to seperate the obvious gap between MGS2 and 4 -- or will it just be canon? And more importantly, what is Kojima's intended role in the project? Director? Producer? Story creator?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

This "collaberation" still hasn't been confirmed. It's all conjecture by Western media.