Tim Rogers comment on MGS3 (Mature Language) :P

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Tim Rogers comment on MGS3 (Mature Language) :P

Post by Artemio »

Well, he's got the game... and he had this to say:

WACKY ME MORE

So I had a dream the other night. In the dream, Hideo Kojima presented me with a copy of his new collaboration-game. The collaboration was with Nintendo. The game was for DS. It was called Super Mario Bros. Mature. Kojima told me I had to wear headphones when I played. The game was just Super Mario Bros. 3, now played with the DS's curious button layout. Right at the beginning, it said to press my thumb to the bottom screen to start. After that, the bottom screen went black. The game played out on the top screen. It played out as always. Except -- instead of hearing Charles Martinet screech "WAHOO!" when jumping, it was Joe Pesci mumbling "Fuck you," and sometimes "Fuck you, you fuck!"

I got all the way too the end, Joe Pesci telling me to fuck myself sixtice a minute. I beat Bowser. Just when I was thinking the game wasn't "mature" enough and that profanity is a sad excuse for "mature" content, Mario met the princess and she hit me up with a proposition.

Thank you, Mario.
However, I regret to inform you
That I am a robot.
As a robot, I have no regret,
And therefore can only coldly inform
That our princess is in another castle.
To know the user-unique 54-digit password
That will unlock that castle,
Fax your parents' divorce certificate
To 03-3672-0108 by January 1st, 2006.
If your parents are not divorced,
Convince them to do so.
If your parents are dead,
Find someone to adopt you.
Then convince them to get a divorce.
If you do not comply, the FoxDie virus
Will terminate you.
Remember when you touched the other screen?
You only did it once, remember?
Right at the beginning, when we asked you to.
Yeah, we have your thumbprint
And thanks to the internet,
Your dental records, too.
We can find you.
Should you comply,
You will have to face a challenge
Mightier than any the gaming world has seen.
You will have one chance to win.
If you lose, this game will explode,
And kill you in the process.
Unplug this cartridge from the slot now,
And it will explode in your hand.
And we will still send the robots after you,
Just to put a bullet in your corpse-head.
Go ahead and plug in your AC adaptor
And write a really angry sign in felt-tipped pen
Warning your friends not to mess with this.
Now get to work.
Join the Nintendo Fun Club Today!
Thanks for playing!!

It was probably just the aftershocks of Metal Gear Solid 3 getting to me.

Ho-lee that game is fucked-up.
http://www.livejournal.com/~108/
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
BrianM

Post by BrianM »

Wait, this is a dream after having played MGS3?... Can't wait for the convoluted twisting plots and awesome/scary dreams to hit the public...

Hey wouldn't it be neat if the makers of a game that would obviously be played by millions had subliminal messages (the kind that flash a single screen so the image is burned into your subconscious) that made millions of video gamers have psycho nightmares and chop of their hands? Well, maybe that last part wouldn't be neat.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Man I can only await
LazyDave

Post by LazyDave »

Wow! What's with the January 1st 2006? There has to be some clues to info about MGS3 in that dream. Do you have to access something from the internet to open something near the end of the game? Do your action in the beginning affect your progress later on. Is MGS3 filled with immature cursing?

How many more weeks do we have to wait? :(

BTW. This is LazyDave from the MG.net forums. Hey all.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

BrianM wrote:Wait, this is a dream after having played MGS3?... Can't wait for the convoluted twisting plots and awesome/scary dreams to hit the public...

Hey wouldn't it be neat if the makers of a game that would obviously be played by millions had subliminal messages (the kind that flash a single screen so the image is burned into your subconscious) that made millions of video gamers have psycho nightmares and chop of their hands? Well, maybe that last part wouldn't be neat.
JUST LIKE HALLOWEEN 3 :shock: :shock:
Artemio
Site Admin

More posts.....

Post by Artemio »

Mhhhh .... I still have doubts in both ways anyway....

METAL GEAR SOLID 3 KEEPS COMING BACK:
THE REVIEW: PART THREE

I had a dream the other night where I was waiting outside the Marui department store in Ueno with a woman who I once met a long time ago, in front of that very department store. We were waiting for another woman, who I also met once in front of that department store. In real life, these two women would never meet each other. We were talking about the earthquakes in Niigata, and she said, "If they build up to something terrible, that'd be very interesting."

And I asked, "Why would it be interesting?"

And she said, "Because it'd make worldwide news. It'd go down in history. Everyone would remember the big earthquake that was born from all those small earthquakes. It is usually the case, you know, that big earthquakes are born from small ones."

I told her, "Is it that important to make worldwide news? Would that make you feel anything at all? Would it make you feel more important?"

She replied, "Feeling more important about one's self is a small part of life. In my life, that part has ended."

I replied, "Yet, if the large earthquake comes, the small earthquakes will be a mere footnote in the history books."

She said, "And if the large earthquake never comes, then the small earthquakes will be nothing."

As of this writing, the small earthquakes in Niigata have ended. This does not mean, of course, that a big earthquake isn't coming. Let's remember that on a geologic timeline, no human life lasts longer than a hundredth of a blink of God's eye.

"Are you saying that only truly horrible things are worth recording in history books?"

"Yes, that's what I'm saying, in general."

The sound of a train echoed in the rainclouds above us. Without warning, a meteor of terrifying size and colored like fluorescent spaghetti sauce blazed through the northern sky and hit somewhere in Higashi-Ueno. A red ring of heat spread out. I turned to face it. The woman turned to face it as well. She had her hand in front of her mouth.

The ring encompassed us. With a prickly pins-and-needles feeling, everything went hotly red, then black.

GAME OVER

The words flashed before my eyes. In a second, I was looking at a television screen from a fixed, immovable angle. Each of the dots on the television were big and harsh and flashy. It was a charcoal-colored background. I could feel a controller in my hands, yet I couldn't look away from the television. My face was pressed to it. I could press a control pad, and I could hear a cursor moving. Only I couldn't see what the cursor was pointing at.

The cursor sound was the same as the cursor sound in Final Fantasy VI.

Soon, after clicking enough times, I saw a long rectangular menu. Above it were the words:

REBIRTH: CHOOSE SHAPE

The shapes on the line included a triangle, a square, a circle, Buster and Babs Bunny, and Plucky Duck from "Tiny Toon Adventures," most specifically "Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose" for Super Nintendo. I stared at Plucky Duck, thinking.

If only horrible things last in history, what does history mean to the lost victims of horrible things? The answer is precisely nothing.

酷いことにならないと
歴史に残らない。
百年たったら
何も残らない
俺の東京
俺の東京は
他の人の
持てない
ことだ
俺の死は
この世界の終わり
時間は全て
俺のもの
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: THE REVIEW: PART FOUR

thanks to kasugi for this one. I had a dream where Solid Snake was freaking out on acid in the park across the street from the Senzoku Moulin Rouge [sic] gentleman's club. He was sitting on the back of a plastic rocking-duck with an eyeless baby doll in his hands.

"My baby! My baby!" he was saying.

"What--what did you do to your baby?" I said, crouching down on my knee and rubbing his back.

"I . . . I plucked her eyes out!!"

"And . . . why did you do that?"

"I . . . wanted to . . . see! What happened?"

(Feel free to use this and other MGS3 bloggings on your own site, especially if your name is Paul!)

SO I KIND OF HAVE A PSP
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
LazyDave

Post by LazyDave »

That stuff cracks me up. :D

Seems this MGS will be as insane as ever. Kojima hasn't lost his crazy touch.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

LazyDave wrote:That stuff cracks me up. :D

Seems this MGS will be as insane as ever. Kojima hasn't lost his crazy touch.
I hope he hasn't all my hopes are there, I just hope he keeps them within inteersting limits... =)
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Rolman

Post by Rolman »

I agree. As ironic or ridiculous as it may sound, there are limits to how acceptable can wackiness be. As much as I loved MGS2, I also hated it for not being able to contain things within its own proposed perspective. It came to a point where it was not about thinking outside of the box or going beyond boundaries anymore, it was about doing damage control on the necessary chaos the theme created.

While we here like to talk about networks and connections, about what makes a human being what it is and all that stuff, I believe that now that the overall Meme/Gene/Scene theme is finally complete, its relevance is going to be tested, along with our patience, in MGS3.

Allow me to illustrate my point in what seems to be the trendy way:

So... I had a dream last night. There she was sitting besides me, a very good friend of mine. She's always been nice to me, and I feel so open that I keep telling her everything about my life, every secret no matter how dark. Thing is, in real life I don't know any girl by the name 'Magdalena', yet I never question myself whether I should let this particular girl know what I'm telling her.

What I do wonder about is the relevance of it all. A name is usually related to an identity, but her identity is not related to the way I feel about her. She could have any other name, she may never have a known identity, but she'd still be my friend, and she'd still be unique as to know my deepest secrets. At this point, whether she actually exists is not relevant anymore, it's the experience I get from being with her that matters.

Ooh Kojima-san, I don't know if I should fear you more than I admire you :p
Otaku no naka no otaku, Otaking da!!!
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Great way of putting it Rolman... it puts things a lot in to perspective, on how Tim wrote this and how much might be really in there.. what we could expect.

Regarding your point.. it will indeed be more because we already are "inside" and craving the experience... How much of the game really is trasnmitted by the game itself and how much is ruined/amplified by our own expectations and experiences.... About our own Jidai, our very own ideals....

I am afriad about what may be in the game now too... though I belieev that an open mind will help with any surprises in there =).
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
LazyDave

Post by LazyDave »

Damn Tim Rogers!

So all this talk about Metal Gear dreams got to me.

I had a dream that I was playing a next generation Metal Gear game.

At first I have to search the jungle for different foods to combine and make recipes. (Snake and Mushrooms) The recipes are broken down into missions I have to complete. I don't remember how long I was doing this but it was fun mixing food.

Later I enter a dark room. I couldn't see much but what I saw looked really nice. The graphics were very Doom 3 like (DARK). All I had was a flashlight equipped USP.
So I walk into the room and I'm searching for something. Then the guards rush the place. I remain hidden in the dark and plan my next move. I go for broke and try to take out one of the guards. I point my gun at the guards face, It looks really nice like the flash light effect in Doom 3. The detail in nice, normal maps and pixel shader effects everywhere. Then I wake up I guess I died.

I guess the other thread about the guys wanting to make a Metal Gear on his custom engine with pixel shaders and all this dream talk plus playing GTA San Andreas got to me.

DAMN YOU MEME!

Post by 108 »

To ease any fears, I must say that the game's "fucked-up"ness stems mostly from gameplay concept, and not story. There are a lot oof odd, quirky things going on in the gameplay, like, for example, being able to heal by saving, turning the system off and waiting (a few weeks, depending on the injury).

And things like the game deleting your save if you mess with the internal clock.

I . . . really don't know how it does this. Just as I don't know how Boktai only works with real sunlight.

There are many, many more odd little weird things about the gameplay that I will not comment on, simply because I remember how great it was to play Metal Gear Solid 2 for the first time. The revelation of Raiden as the hero was perhaps the biggest shock ever in "cinematic" videogame history.

The question on everyone's mind is "Does Metal Gear Solid 3 shock on the same level as Metal Gear Solid 2?" I'll go ahead and answer, without spoiling anything, that no, it does not. There are a few huge, violent turnarounds in the story; however, Kojima knows (and he told me he knows) that he can't surprise people like he did with Raiden anymore. So rather than try to surprise with the story (which is a rather mature mix of 1's seriousness/preachiness and 2's flat-out mischeivous quirk), he surprises with the gameplay this time. He told me that's what he was going for, and . . . that much I understand now. So there are things regarding the gameplay that i will not spoil -- and I'm not talking about being able to hang from tree limbs with one hand and shoot guards on the ground with the other hand. You need to think slightly bigger than that. Think about LIFE and DEATH.

The idea of a game with a cliffhanger segment that required the player to access the internet at a specific URL and submit a certain piece of highly personal information (which would then be background-checked by Konami staff) in order to be granted a password to a game-serial-number-specific password to access the next part of the story, was something I presented to Kojima, causing him to explode into a really sick-looking smile. Though he doesn't do it in Metal Gear Solid 3, he's "thinking about it" for "something" "in the future".

In closing -- I think I know what Kojima's next game is!! He hasn't told me yet, though, well, I think I guessed already.

Anyway, as regards Metal Gear Solid 3 -- the US version is released on November 17th. That ain't too far away!! You will have it soon. So stop reading forums about it, because a couple of the pre-release (review) copies are going to be getting out soon, and that means people are going to start spoiling stuff.

SO!!! Go read a book! I recommend Kobo Abe's "The Woman in the Dunes," and so does Kojima.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Thanks a lot for the comments 108, I we really appreciate...

Specially the advise of not reading anything else.. and believe me, I had already decided on that completely =), as so have others.

Thanks for reassuring this man, now I feel a lot more confident and for what you say, the game is going to be exactly what I hoped it to be, in a slightly different direction, but a cool one... A Hideo Kojima Game :D

I am a happy man that will keep away from spoilers, my faith is back where it should be.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
LazyDave

Post by LazyDave »

Thanks for the info. :D

Stay away from the IGN boards, somone is posting some of these gameplay spoilers already. :?

Two weeks... :)
Rolman

Post by Rolman »

I feel relieved thanks to these latest comments from 108. I just want to add that while I completely agree with the notion that Kojima can never give us that much of a surprise than what he pulled on us with MGS2, it's not what I feared in the first place.

Really, I never felt that the problem with MGS2 had anything to do with Raiden. The real shortcomings were elsewhere, because there's so much that can fail in a game so complex (and with such an aggressive dev timeframe), but that's not this thread's discussion.

If the weirdest stuff in MGS3 is only about this new quirky gameplay, about cheating for healing, doing funny things with the saves, and overall messing with the reality within the game by doing both the expected and the unexpected in real life, I very much welcome that, it's Kojima all right =) Boktai was already mentioned, and I really hope the real and virtual worlds are connected in a similar way. You could also do a lot of weird things with Animal Crossing, thanks to the real time clock, it's part of what made that one such a great game too.

It's so close to release that I'll stop the FUD now, it's that time before a new Metal Gear again... I'm so excited.

By the way, about how Boktai detects real sunlight, the sensor is made to detect light that is in the ultraviolet range of the spectrum. Being invisible to us, we don't see many sources of ultraviolet light in a daily basis other than the sun (and it's dangerous too).

EDIT: For clarity, my grammar tends to suffer quite a bit from sleep deprivation =)
Last edited by Rolman on Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otaku no naka no otaku, Otaking da!!!
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

Thanks for the reassurances, 108. I still can't wait for this.

So I'm in the middle of Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Murakami and I just bought The Woman in the Dunes.

Creepy.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Rolman wrote: Really, I never felt that the problem with MGS2 had anything to do with Raiden. The real shortcomings were elsewhere, because there's so much that can fail in a game so complex (and with such an aggressive dev timeframe), but that's not this thread's discussion.
That would be a nice discussion contrasting MGS2 to MGS3 when it comes out, so we can have the full panorama.. I'll make a mental note on that....

BTW, now I know why I am so confident with the game now, and it simply is because all the Kojima elements that made me like Snatcher in the first place are going to be there....
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
GcDiaz

Post by GcDiaz »

OK, Tim, IGN has posted its review. Reads nice, lots of purty words, but I'm still waiting for yours.