Is Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake underrated?

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

indeed buddy. I remember probing my toys r us around christmas time back in the day. There was an nes exlusive of Die hard, man that game still kicks ass, has anyone else played it? I still think you can find it on ebay
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

I've played the rom, and had a chance to get it for $11 but that's a little too much ya think?

thats actually worth it, because that game is hard to find I hear. :wink: It was a toys r us exclusive back in the late 80s :roll: :D
LOVE OF HATE

Post by LOVE OF HATE »

i played the emo of MG 2 and i have to say it was great. i to hope that i can buy this game that hideo made it english (becuse some thing don't make sence at time) so that we North Amerca can enjoy it.(maybe it was the plot that confuse me??? )
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

There is no official version available to buy in english, but there are plenty of Translated roms, I think even in French (your native language I presume :) )
Tao

Post by Tao »

Ninja Kurosai wrote:
Jonathan Ingram wrote:I'm probably the 'youngest' video gamer here,
You sure? 14 here buddy :D
Definitely! Good to see another gamer as young as I am on boards devoted (mostly) to older games. Games this generation just don't 'wow' me as much as they should. Surprised that you enough money though to harbor that large collection of games, as I...don't. Can't stand to see kids in my grade ramble on about the greatness of games like Halo or GTA; I just don't see it.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Not many people like to do emulation due to ethical reasons and all, since technically, ROMs are illegal (there's no ifs and buts about it). However, as much as I prefer to own the actual media, I much rather have a ROM in this case than feed $300-400 to someone's wallet.

The reason why Metal Gear 2 is not well-recognized is simply because of it's sheer obscurity, not because of unpopularity. The reason why most people looked up to older games has mostly to do with nostalgia than anything else. This is why most westerners for example, always refer to Final Fantasy I, IV, VI or VII as the best Final Fantasy title, but you rarely hear them mentioning the true versions of Final Fantasy II and III or Final Fantasy V.

The same is true for Metal Gear 2. Not only was it never released outisde of Japan, it was only released for an obscure computer platform that is not exactly known for it's games (although, I can never truly figure out why Konami didn't pursue a console port like they did with Metla Gear 1 and Snatcher). The fact that there were two different sequels to the original Metal Gear is still rather fresh to most of us (myself included).

Back in 1990, nobody knew nor cared who Hideo Kojima really was and the only Metal Gear sequel we knew was Snake's Revenge (not that I have anything agaisnt SR mind you, it's actually one of my favorite NES games of all time). Things are alot different now, in which the actual creators (not just the company) are given more credit for their work (as well as more creative control) and we have the internet and such to inform us on the overseas market.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Metal Gear 2 will get it's due. Hopefully the fact that they ported both MSX games means that they're also willing to release a compilation of both Mobile Remakes in a GBA cartridge (if Kojima is willing to let go of his petty feelings for Nintendo's portable platforms).
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

I only really emulate to make gifs, and game scans of games, otherwise my collection has every game I have ever desired, and thank god I still clean them and play them :wink:

Emulation should be a last resort, like if you can't even find a game in my book. If its something you can get cheap on ebay, shoot for it lol.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Same here, I only emulate something for

1. Doing Script Dumping (Policenauts, although I own the actual game and play it on my PC so that doesnt count)
2. If I cant find the game for sell anywhere (Such as Ore No Ryouri, I looked frickin everyhwere for it, finally had to dl it)
3. Games I own but feel like having archived on one CD or what have you.

So yeah, emulation is the best 8)
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

what I do though is back up my games for emulatio and play them, like I backed up mysnatcher sega cd cause my old sega cd is having problems and I think its destroying my games hahahahaha... :x
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

The worst is informing all the people who don't realize that the NES version of Metal Gear and most especially Snake's Revenge are not official games in the franchise. Many people don't seem to get it, and then you have to go and spell it out for them that one is a cheap substitute of the original game, while the other is completely unrelated to any of Kojima's works whatsoever (and it shows). Afterwards they often feel stupid though, so it pays off informing them.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Actually Kojima once said he enjoyed Snakes Revenge and said it was faithful to the series :P
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

I loved snakes revenge honestly, had no problem with it at all, even though it wasn't key to Kojima-san. 8)