A few first impressions (Not as Spoiler Free as Before)

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Painaxl
Runner

A few first impressions (Not as Spoiler Free as Before)

Post by Painaxl »

Well, I picked up my copy at the Gamestop near me last night. Got it home and popped it in... Woo! Let me try and keep this as spoiler free as possible:

The "10 minute surprise" has to be one of the slickest game moves ever. Seriously. I just had the biggest grin on my face when it happened.

I think I know what 108 was talking about with the LIFE and DEATH changes, but I haven't tried it out yet. Seems very interesting.

The "Bond open" was downright incredible. That song has really grown on me. I was singing along.

So far there's been a lot of cinema and a little gameplay (I'm a little ways into "Operation Snake Eater"), but that's what I enjoy, so I'm not concerned. I know I've got a long road ahead of me.

Basically, the 10 minute thing has already assuaged any fear I had of anything (it sort of redeemed my faith in Kojima's sick sense of humor). I'd like to hear others thoughts.

"Sometimes you have to eat a treee frooooogg!!!"
Last edited by Painaxl on Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

hey what did you say you liked better

MGS2 or MGS? HAHAAHAHAH I love Kojima's sick sense of humor.
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

I said MGS2. That's the 10 minute surprise I was referring to. Maybe that's not the one Kojima meant, but that was 10 minutes in for me.
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

Painaxl wrote:I said MGS2. That's the 10 minute surprise I was referring to. Maybe that's not the one Kojima meant, but that was 10 minutes in for me.
Oh yes :wink:
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

Been through two boss battles and three new terrains not seen in the demo.

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

On the codec front, Major doesn't seem to be as naturally helpful as Colonel usually is. I'm not sure what I think about this iteration's "weapon expert" either. He's slightly over the top.

The way that all the systems in the game are introduced are genius. The cure system is cool so far, but the way that it was presented to the player was great.

I don't know what to make of the skipping in the radio sequences. Does anyone else have this problem? When I call someone on the radio, the other sounds skip a few times during a 20 second or so pause before they start talking. It sometimes happens during their speech (little skips).

Other than that, though, really enjoying the survival.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

You are in for a surprise when you reach The Sorrow :P
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Well, I've been playing it all day this saturday.. And I've loved it so far. At firts it was kind of difficult. but after I got the pace, I've advanced.

When playing Kojima games, I play them quite slow. Since I was warned about the possible skipping with the dialogue, and I love dialogue, I copyied it to HDD, but have been playing from the disc and have had no trouble at all besides the slower loading tiumes in raiod conversations and in general.

So far I've played for 4 hours I think, and at least 2-3 have been conversing with Paramedic (I simply love talking witn her in this game, so much fun)

And the glowing-batteries jokes, movies jokes, references.. I've simply loved it so far. I am happy with the final game so far.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

So far I have heard her mention Godzilla, It Came From outer Space, Creature from the Black Lagoon, James Bond, and several other 50's-60's classics 8)
Proffesor Lambeau

Post by Proffesor Lambeau »

I'm really enjoying it so far. I've been playing for around 8 hours and i've just now reached The Pain--can someone tell me how far in I am?

Only thing I can complain about is the localization. The VA for ocelot couldn't be more unfitting, and hayter isn't up to the level he was in the first 2 games. I do like the major, eva and para-medic though.

And I can bet that MGS4 is MGS online. Not sure if it was official or not, but I heard it was coming out in 2006 for the ps2. The only reason I can see that it'd be on the PS2 is because they want to use the MGS3 engine again-- which makes sense because kojima said it was built with an online metal gear in mind.
GcDiaz

Post by GcDiaz »

My complaint has more to do with the camera, although I do think Hayter is too much of a ham in this one. I haven't beaten it yet, and I know exactly how I feel about it. The issues I have with the camera make this game a chore to play. I *HATE* what I refer to as "Artificial Gameplay Extenders". Basically, mechanics or scripted situations that don't add to the experience, but just make the game difficult to get more gameplay time out of you. I had the same issues with the camera in MGS1 (directly overhead), and to a slightly lesser degree in MGS2 (since it had segments where you could actually see in front of you). Those games were more than tolerable, however, because of the Soliton radar. You knew where the enemies were and which way they were facing, without stopping every few steps to press R1. This game, well...it needs a Splinter Cell camera, BAD.

After all the waiting, I'm not feeling very enthusiastic about playing it . Solution? Considering how much damage Snake can take now, I might just start running thru all the areas until I hit the cinematics.

That should do it.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

He still cant take that much damage. Ive died more times going all out like in MGS2, than when I tactically fight, either by taking hostage or using the Pill.
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

I'm now stuck at the battle with The End. Quite a different kind of boss battle. I've only hit him once. Grr...

Hopefully, that limited edition strategy guide (the one with the art) that I ordered will show up today like it's supposed to and have some good strategies to take him out.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Painaxl wrote:I'm now stuck at the battle with The End. Quite a different kind of boss battle. I've only hit him once. Grr...

Hopefully, that limited edition strategy guide (the one with the art) that I ordered will show up today like it's supposed to and have some good strategies to take him out.
Try listening for where the shots come from, listen carefully to the enviroment (can catch him snoring too), kill the parrot and when he comes out after shooting at you running, try on surpising him form the back (a hold up) with the shotgun.. then you'll have him =)

Also, the most helpful one (but it might take the fun out of it) look at the map...
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

Snatcher wrote: Try listening for where the shots come from, listen carefully to the enviroment (can catch him snoring too), kill the parrot and when he comes out after shooting at you running, try on surpising him form the back (a hold up) with the shotgun.. then you'll have him =)

Also, the most helpful one (but it might take the fun out of it) look at the map...
I've tried the map thing and it works... sorta. I just heard about the parrot thing today and I'm going to try it when I get home from work.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Still at the warehouse with Sokolov.... :P
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

I just finally got my own copy, it's really awsome!!!! I like it!!! Everything pulls together from all the confusion I got from the early trailers 8) I just started operation snake eater myself, and when I get home from class later tonight, I will be having a sleepless night 8)
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Painaxl wrote:
Snatcher wrote: Try listening for where the shots come from, listen carefully to the enviroment (can catch him snoring too), kill the parrot and when he comes out after shooting at you running, try on surpising him form the back (a hold up) with the shotgun.. then you'll have him =)

I've tried the map thing and it works... sorta. I just heard about the parrot thing today and I'm going to try it when I get home from work.
Using the Thermal Goggles works too, as it will help you track down his footprints.
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

Put another few hours into it last night (and got to work late this morning as a result, *sigh*). Oh, wow.

I know I should never be surprised by Kojima's METICULOUS attention to detail and completely unique look at gaming, but I still am. For example, I came back to The End last night after a day or two... that's a mistake. Finally beat him, though. That's a tough fight, but the directional mic helped alot ("this is... The End"). The Fury was easier.

But really so many things... Major Ivan's appearance, the way he's discussed, Ocelot's "test" (BTW, I know there's a lot of criticism of his VA, but I'm seriously enjoying young Ocelot), the eye followed immediately by the most shocking and wonderful use of the R1 first-person view during a cutscene.

Just finished the obligitory capture portion. Can't wait to continue.

Also, the Limited Edition Strategy Guide which I pre-ordered from EBGames.com that was scheduled to come in 11/19, didn't ship until 11/23! Talk about annoying, considering that I chose 1-day shipping, but with the holiday, I probably won't get it until Friday (by which point I might be through the game). Oh well.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Umm, I saved at The End, and havnt played for about 11 hours, should I play now :shock:
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

Ninja Kurosai wrote:Umm, I saved at The End, and havnt played for about 11 hours, should I play now :shock:
Well, remember what Eva said: "One or two days is like the blink of an eye to The End."

If I were you, I'd play as soon as you can :wink:
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

anyone been able to get behind him(the end) like me, jump him, and take his camo :D cause otherwise you'll just get his gun with traq. for trying to make a stamina kill.

and another thing, at the aquedock scene. I thought it was funny hahahaah The Boss starts talking about a badass cobra member, and then as we wait for like the fear to pop through a sleeping old man bursts through the door. THIS WAS HILLARIOUS!!! This is by far the best metal gear ever, its even changing my standards from when I first played MG2 back in the early 90s. Everything about this game brings a tear of joy to my eye! :wink:
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

The boss battles are so cool, its like being in an ultra awesome Movie, The battle with The Fury brought a tear to my eye it was so beautifal. This is easily one of Kojima's best. :D
Proffesor Lambeau

Post by Proffesor Lambeau »

The only thing I don't like about the AI is how they don't know where the hell you are when you go into a vent-- didn't previous games have the guards duck down and start shooting at you? It seems like they could have easily put it in but didn't because it might make the game too hard. Anyone know if they do this on Hard or Extreme?
GcDiaz

Post by GcDiaz »

Crap. Forgot this was the spoiler free thread.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Proffesor Lambeau wrote:The only thing I don't like about the AI is how they don't know where the hell you are when you go into a vent-- didn't previous games have the guards duck down and start shooting at you? It seems like they could have easily put it in but didn't because it might make the game too hard. Anyone know if they do this on Hard or Extreme?
Im playing on Hard, and they don't do it often, but they still will. I had one gaurd lie on his stomach and shoot like a maniac into the vent :P