Metal Gear Solid 2 PAL censored.

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Metal Gear Solid 2 PAL censored.

Post by Charlie Johnson »

That's something that would interest me. MGS2: SoL was definitly censored, here in germany. The blood in some cutscenes was reduced, for example the scene with Vamp killing the Navy Seals Team. Especialy the blood fontaine after Vamp slices the throat of the Navy Seals guy was toned down. On top of that, some dialogues were missing, for example on the tanker, if you look on one of the girl posters and contact Otacon...in the german version nothing happens, Otacon just talks about the controls, or some random stuff. Or if you take a photo of the Raven figure and then show ot to Otacon at the end of the tanker episode, Otacon has nothing special to say either.

But MGS2: Substance was completle uncensored, all dialogues were in it and the amount of blood in the cutscenes was identical to the US version.

Now a game only gets cencored, if the publisher wants to get a lower rating, so he can sell it to more people. The censoreship in MGS2: SoL was comletely useless, because the game got a "16" rating, obviously the equivalent to the "Teen" rating in the US. But the uncensored MGS2: Substance version got the exact same rating, so why censor the game, when it doesn't change the rating the game gets after all?

So that's why I'm thinking it was an all european censorship, but I'm not sure since I never got my hand on the UK version, (I never was forced to, like with MGS1...the german voice ocer still gives me terrible nightmares.)

So, does anyone who played another MGS2: SoL european release noticed this censorship, or was it german only?
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

I live in Denmark, and we danish people don´t censor things (luckly). It might have been for Germany only, since they have very strict laws about a video game´s contents
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Snake700 wrote:I live in Denmark, and we danish people don´t censor things (luckly). It might have been for Germany only, since they have very strict laws about a video game´s contents
Yeah, I thought that too, but as I said, only the publisher himself is able to censor a game's content, he can't be forded to do it, by law and the only reason to censor the game, is to get a lower rating, to make it more mainstream. But since MGS2: Substance was released completly uncut in germany and got the exact same rating as the cut version, Konami never had any reason to censor the original european SoL release in germany.
Also, while the blood censorship is typical for Germany, It's not usual, to tone down sexual content/dialogues.
And if it's an all european censoreship...well, Denmark wouldn't censor the game themselves, but their version would be censored anyway.;)
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Charlie Johnson wrote:
Snake700 wrote:I live in Denmark, and we danish people don´t censor things (luckly). It might have been for Germany only, since they have very strict laws about a video game´s contents
Yeah, I thought that too, but as I said, only the publisher himself is able to censor a game's content, he can't be forded to do it, by law
Wrong. The publisher can be forced by law. They can even force the publisher, not to release it at that region (that happened with Dead Rising and Gears of War)
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Snake700 wrote:
Charlie Johnson wrote:
Yeah, I thought that too, but as I said, only the publisher himself is able to censor a game's content, he can't be forded to do it, by law
Wrong. The publisher can be forced by law. They can even force the publisher, not to release it at that region (that happened with Dead Rising and Gears of War)
Hm, it's a little more complicated though...as I said, censorship can't be forced by law, (Except games connected with nazis, even if they're the bad guys.) Dead Rising and Gears of War didn't get a rating and hence are just for adults. An official german release was impossible, but it was no problem and fully legal to buy an uncut foreign version in videogame stores, as long as you're an adult. (But many shops even sold the game to minors, I'm seventeen and had absolutely no problem, to get the game.) Now Dead Rising is "indiziert", it's still no problem, to get the game, for an adult and it's also legal. But you're not allowed to show the game in stores, for everyone to see or show commercials of it.

Anyway, nothing to do with MGS2, as I said, MGS2 cut and uncut got the exact same "16" rating. And that's exactly the point why I can't imagin that this censorship was german only, it doesn't make any sense.

Well, but does it make sense, that this creature is called woman?

http://www.stern.de/_content/52/32/5232 ... el_250.jpg

I guess not everything has to make sense.:-/
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Charlie Johnson wrote:
Snake700 wrote:
Charlie Johnson wrote:
does it make sense, that this creature is called woman?

http://www.stern.de/_content/52/32/5232 ... el_250.jpg
She reminds me of my old german teacher. She almost looks the same. But yeah, even i wonder that creature is called a woman.
What?

from Pulp Fiction
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Regarding the censorship, I do know that the UK version has some censorship too. The dead Marines in the tanker, their throats aren't visibly cut, whereas in the US version, you can see the cuts. I only played the game once at my cousin's house, so I don't remember if there were any other changes made. Maybe someone with the UK version can add to this.

Anyway, I believe all versions of Substance had the throat cuts removed.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

I noticed the throat cuts, both in SOL and Substance (both the PS2 and Xbox version)
What?

from Pulp Fiction
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

You mean for the European SOL? I'm 99% positive they were removed. Maybe I'm thinking of the Japanese version.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

I'm from the UK, trouble is I cannot verify that comment about Vamp's introductory scene for you; since I only ever got the Substance version of the game. However, another example of cutting scenes out; The Departed had one minute cut out in the UK version of the film, where people are getting bashed about in a fight, and it was still rated an 18! I mean, what is the point?
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Regarding Substance, I did notice in the US version that the blood was toned down in several scenes from Sons of Liberty -- particularly when Vamp slits the throat of the Navy SEAL and when Ocelot shoots that soldier on the Tanker. I remember both scenes being a lot bloodier in Sons of Liberty, so I'm wondering if they were censored as well or if Kojima decided to tone them down himself.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

I bought the japanese MGS 2: SoL version, it's a budget version, the so called "Konami Palace Selection" but I assumed that it's basically the same as the original SoL, japanese voice acting and completly uncensored. Well, at least it has japanese voice acting but somehow it has the same censorship as the PAL version. No throat cuts, less blood in Vamps first appearence etc.

Only the dialogues, that were missing in the PAL version, or at least in the german version are included.

The rest is exactly as in my PAL version...censored.

Hm, what's going on?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

The Japanese version was already like that. They didn't make any changes to the re-release version that you have.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Osiris wrote:The Japanese version was already like that. They didn't make any changes to the re-release version that you have.
Hm? So that means that only the US version of SoL was uncensored?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

As far as I know, yes.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Osiris wrote:You mean for the European SOL?
Yes. I´m going to play it again, tommorow, just to be sure
What?

from Pulp Fiction
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

Henry Spencer wrote:The Departed had one minute cut out in the UK version of the film, where people are getting bashed about in a fight, and it was still rated an 18! I mean, what is the point?
When the The Descent came to America 15 minutes of footage was cut out to make it a less disturbing movie. It was still really frightening though (by the end of the movie most of the people in the theater were crying or not talkin or such).
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I went spelunking once when I was about 14. In the same mountain range where that movie takes place, actually. It's amazing how the temperature drops so quickly as soon as you get inside, and how damp it is. There were some incredibly narrow spaces too, and some holes that looked like you'd never come out of if you fell down. I haven't seen that movie (going to check it out now), but it sounds like I probably won't want to do it again afterwards.
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

You probably won't. The movie is very much worth checking out, though.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

It's okay, rather overrated to be honest. I found myself a tad disappointed, but I expected to be.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Just saw The Descent on DVD. Really good horror movie. Makes you feel energized at the end. I just thought the creatures would be a little more horrifying (they kinda look like Gollum!). From the noises they make, I was expecting some kind of insect or reptilian thing.

In an interview on the DVD, the director says that the real ending was removed from the US version because the alternate ending tested better among audiences.
Spoiler:
In the real ending, it's made clear that Sarah is still trapped in the cave.
But yeah, I think I'll give it a while before I go back to a cave. The thing that makes the movie so great is it could actually happen. It's not like we've explored every inch of even the surface of the planet, never mind what lies beneath.
FOX

Re: Metal Gear Solid 2 PAL censored.

Post by FOX »

Charlie Johnson wrote:Now a game only gets cencored, if the publisher wants to get a lower rating, so he can sell it to more people. The censoreship in MGS2: SoL was comletely useless, because the game got a "16" rating, obviously the equivalent to the "Teen" rating in the US. But the uncensored MGS2: Substance version got the exact same rating, so why censor the game, when it doesn't change the rating the game gets after all?
Just to clear things up; here in Sweden the game got an 18 rating. I don't know if it is censured though.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

In Denmark, the MGS2 got a 15 age rating. Subsistence got 18 age rating though.
What?

from Pulp Fiction
Squallidus

Post by Squallidus »

Norway blocked 'The Life of Brian' from all cinemas. Its neighbouring country, Sweeden, didn't ban the movie and advertised it with the logo 'so funny, it was banned in Norway'.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Squallidus wrote:Norway blocked 'The Life of Brian' from all cinemas
Bad move for Norway. The Life of Brian is awesome. Bickers Dickers
What?

from Pulp Fiction