PSX Policenauts manual

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

PSX Policenauts manual

Post by 8bitsonic »

http://www.msxnet.org/gtinter/pnaut/pnaut-ma.htm

May be too early to post this, but I might as well before I forget later when the patch comes out, or someone posts it before me. This is a text-only translation of the PSX Policenauts manual, done by the one and only Takamichi Suzukawa. He translated MSX Snatcher into English, and his, er, unique translation kept my friend (who was watching me play) in stitches all night. (He couldn't stop laughing at Metal saying "I made a paper!" during the rock-paper-scissors scene.)
Anyway, useful little reference there for those of us who have the manual, like me, but can't read it. It's already linked deep within the bowels of this site, but I posted it here for quicker access to it.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I still have incredible respect for Takamichi and the time he puts into his work. I remember playing his English translation of MG2 before I knew any Japanese. If it wasn't for him and the other members of that team, people would've had to wait until Subsistence.
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

Osiris wrote:I still have incredible respect for Takamichi and the time he puts into his work. I remember playing his English translation of MG2 before I knew any Japanese. If it wasn't for him and the other members of that team, people would've had to wait until Subsistence.
I swear I wasn't bashing Takamichi; I too am thankful for his contributions to the MSX community and that we have a translated MSX Snatcher thanks to him. I was just commenting on how his English skills were amusing to my friend and I. :P
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

No, I know you weren't bashing him. I just wanted to use the opportunity to publicly express my graditude for his work. I don't think he gets enough credit for what he's done over the years (not from you guys; I'm talking about elsewhere).
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Osiris wrote:No, I know you weren't bashing him. I just wanted to use the opportunity to publicly express my graditude for his work. I don't think he gets enough credit for what he's done over the years (not from you guys; I'm talking about elsewhere).
So friggen true too, he's become an underrated shadow lately in the translation-gaming scene. :( Really polite and humble guy too -I remember having the gift of working with him, and Ramon Ribas on the MG2; and on another duel occasion -the Snatcher -MSX/MSX-2 translation projects as a sparse proof reader and patch-emulation beta troubleshooter.

And at this moment (or the last time I remember), I hear he's still trying to start up a decent Jap-pop-rock band hahahaah. (But he totally says he's only in it for the groupies hahAHAHAAHH!!!!!)
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

I'd be awefully happy to apply that to scans, then turn it into a .PDF document... At least someone should... I think it'd be nice to have it with the patch... But then again, how legal would that be? Probably not at all huh.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Sounds like quite the guy, coming from Marc and all. And yup, the manual's translation is superbly done, it makes perfect sense in English grammatical terms.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

I was just commenting on how his English skills were amusing to my friend and I. Razz
My friend and me. I think it's my turn to laugh, man...
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

seraphssavior wrote:
I was just commenting on how his English skills were amusing to my friend and I. :Razz:
My friend and me. I think it's my turn to laugh, man...
Wow, now that was worth posting about, wasn't it? Grammar! And actually, dear child, it is indeed "my friend and I". Way to make yourself look like an ass and waste everybody's time while doing it.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Take out the words "My friend" and see how it sounds. I was just commenting on how his English skills were amusing to I...makes perfect sense, you were totally right. Maybe you should stop harassing other people. [/quote]
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

seraphssavior wrote:Take out the words "My friend" and see how it sounds. I was just commenting on how his English skills were amusing to I...makes perfect sense, you were totally right. Maybe you should stop harassing other people.
Maybe you should learn to quote properly so I could have understood your post more easily. :???:
And so what if it doesn't make sense when you take out "my friend"? The sentence structure changes whether or not it's in there, so when you take it out, the sentence must change to "amusing to me" to be gramatically correct. And please don't tell me not to harass people when you're the one who decided to nitpick my grammar for absolutely no reason, which was written correctly in the first place.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

It's not a quote if I change it, yet another mistake...and besides, you do have to use "me" in all cases such as that. You have to change it because one is supposed to use "Myself" in situations such as this one. Not to mention that this all started because you harassed another persons use of English, anyways.
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

seraphssavior wrote:Not to mention that this all started because you harassed another persons use of English, anyways.
Harassed?! Are you blind? I clearly wrote that I was just amused by Takamichi's translation. That's not harassment. That's a statement. You want me to harass another person's (not "persons") English? Sure: your English sucks. Pay more attention in class. Middle school is mighty tough, I know firsthand, but when you graduate and actually go on to 9th grade, it's a great feeling to know you actually learned something. You're probably failing English and your parents, who are already disappointed with what a little shit you turned out to be, are also pissed off with your lousy grades.

Read topics more carefully, as I clearly NEVER "harassed" Takamichi's English, and/or stop making piss-poor excuses to pick apart people's writing for no reason.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Well, that's clearly harassment right there. So sorry you cannot accept defeat with dignity...now please observe this. I am going to walk away with my pride, confident in my victory over your little temper tantrum. Adieu.
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

seraphssavior wrote:Well, that's clearly harassment right there.
Hey, you were so desperate in your rush to validate your initial provoking, I found it in my heart to give you what you were looking for. See you around, buddy. :smile:
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Yet my initial provoking is not without cause. It seems like you come here to belittle others. When ratperson brought op the dubbing again, you were over-zealous in your attempt to attack him, without even hearing him out. He's a nice guy, just a little bit over-enthusiastic. Don't harangue others when all they are trying to do is help.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Come on, let we try to not derail dis thread, k?
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

seraphssavior wrote:Yet my initial provoking is not without cause. It seems like you come here to belittle others. When ratperson brought op the dubbing again, you were over-zealous in your attempt to attack him, without even hearing him out. He's a nice guy, just a little bit over-enthusiastic. Don't harangue others when all they are trying to do is help.
Nah, you weren't here back when Ratperson was driving us all fucking insane. Spam all over the place, requests for help wth his Breaker Pro and a place to download a Killer 7 "ROM" (fucking hilarious). He ranted about how much the Saturn sucks, and how he loved the PSX and never wanted to betray Sony (lest they stop being his friend? :sad:). He bugged us for weeks for support about a "one-man" project to dub his copy of Policenauts into English, and wrote an AWFUL fanfic and demanded explanations from anyone who didn't like it. When he brought up the dubbing idea again, I thought we were all in for it a second time so I moved to strike, and wasted no time in doing so. Read the archives (Ratperson has more locked topics than anyone else on the forum), and you'll see what I mean, n00b.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Woah...no reason to continue this fight, based on the fact that I haven't been here long. That's pretty low, man. Got anything else?
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

seraphssavior wrote:That's pretty low, man. Got anything else?
Sure. You think I come here to belittle others? I come here to talk Snatcher and Policenauts with great, intelligent guys like Osiris and the like, and not get picked on by twelve-year-old Final Fantasy retards. I thought you were walking away from this with your dignity intact, confident in your victory? Why are you still trying to continue your idiotic beef with me? Don't tell me you're a hypocrite, along with the fact that you're dimwitted and impulsive?
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Again with the name calling. I'm not here to see people get pushed around. I can't stand that, and neither could anyone with a conscience. We can just end this now, if we BOTH walk away. All right?
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

seraphssavior wrote:We can just end this now, if we BOTH walk away. All right?
We already had, and then you started it up again.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Please everyone remember one of the few rules Snatcher has here:

Everything else is permited if you are not directly and intentionally offending someone else, so please do not insult other users or this will result in a ban.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

@8bitsonic; Oh come on man, that's pretty tight, he's a safe guy once you get to know him. He likes Snatcher and Policenauts like anybody and everybody else here. Try and contain yourself from being like this, it ain't nice, and it certainly is not worth it either, arguing like this. Don't ruin such a nice little community we have going here, please by just arguing over nothing at all.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Whaddaya say we lighten the mood a little, huh?