Let's Play SD Snatcher!

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Let's Play SD Snatcher!

Post by slowbeef »

So awhile back, I documented a playthrough of SD Snatcher, wherein I added a bunch of game tips and extra little gags here and there; mostly because SD Snatcher is a pretty tough (and frankly tedious) game, but Snatcher fans might be interested in it.

So if you're a Snatcher fan and - like me - you found SD Snatcher a bit of a chore to play through, here's everything you missed:

Let's Play SD Snatcher!

I also did this for the original Snatcher, but I found most people who read it actually went out and played the game for themselves! (And actually, it helped people who couldn't get past the turbocycle hang.) I'd like to do something similar for Policenauts - I noticed there was a topic for something like it in the Policenauts forum - but my Japanese sucks, so...

Well, at any rate, hope you enjoy it.
RandommodnaR
Runner

Re: Let's Play SD Snatcher!

Post by RandommodnaR »

Talk about coincidences! I was just reading it in the SA Forums. That game goes from cute to mindfuck in 6 seconds. :eek:
And then the long pulse of Zion Dub...
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Nitpick time on Chapter 2:
This is another date issue. The events of early versions of Snatcher (with the 1991 Catastrophe) typically have Gillian join J.U.N.K.E.R. when it's relatively new, in December 2042.

The latest versions of Snatcher with the '96 Catastrophe (PSX and Saturn versions) give a nod toward their previous incarnartions: J.U.N.K.E.R. is still around since 2042, but Gillian doesn't join until December of 2047. The math doesn't exactly work out, though. Snatchers appeared three years prior to the events of the game, which would put them around 2044.

Oh well. This is extraordinarily nerdy and nitpicky.

If you're wondering what's "canon" and what's not, you can presume the events of the Sega CD version are "official". That has Gillian joining JUNKER in 2047
The date of the Catastrophe was only changed in the English-language Sega CD version.
All the Japanese versions, including the 1992's PC Engine version and the 1996's PS1 and Saturn versions, all stick to the original 1991 date. All the dates in the English were moved five years ahead (1991 to 1996 and 2042 to 2047) in an attempt to maintain continuity. JUNKER was formed in 2038 according to the Japanese version.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Thanks for doing this, Mike. I loved the Snatcher one.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

The date of the Catastrophe was only changed in the English-language Sega CD version.
All the Japanese versions, including the 1992's PC Engine version and the 1996's PS1 and Saturn versions, all stick to the original 1991 date. All the dates in the English were moved five years ahead (1991 to 1996 and 2042 to 2047) in an attempt to maintain continuity. JUNKER was formed in 2038 according to the Japanese version.
Are you sure? I've played the PSX version of Snatcher and I could swear they had the '96 Catastrophe. At any rate, the PSX version definitely has Junker founded in 2042:

I'll double-check if I can get my copy working again.
Thanks for doing this, Mike. I loved the Snatcher one.
Glad to hear it!
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

slowbeef wrote:[
Are you sure? I've played the PSX version of Snatcher and I could swear they had the '96 Catastrophe. At any rate, the PSX version definitely has Junker founded in 2042:

I'll double-check if I can get my copy working again.
YouTube to the rescue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFQ80_DUGDA
Definitely says 1991 during the Catastrophe and 2042 before the opening credits. They even use the same voice acting from the PC Engine version.

The JUNKER logo in the Sega CD version actually says "JUNKER 2047". Its the year where the game is set, not the year when JUNKER was founded.

Nice review BTW!
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Heh. You got me. 1991 it is. I'll ask the Archive guy about amending it.
JUNKERCARLOS
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Snatcher

Post by JUNKERCARLOS »

I really enjoyed both your Snatcher and SD Snatcher Let's Play forums. I wish I had a SomethingAwful account so I could read everyone's responses as well. I hope you can do a Policenauts one when the translation is complete.