Fake screenshots of a MG2SS port?

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Szczepaniak
Runner

Fake screenshots of a MG2SS port?

Post by Szczepaniak »

No doubt this will be doing the rounds.

http://gba.n64europe.com/index.php?id=3018

A faked rumour? Probably.

But describing it as a 2.5D game sets alarm bells ringing, to the point where I hope it is fake. Anything less than a basic and boring port I feel would ruin the originals pure gameplay. The original, which is also my personal favourite in the series, cannot be described as anything other than purely 2D. (not to mention with some of the most finely blended 2D colour sprites I have ever seen, the minimal usage of colour was done perfectly, close inspection reveals some sprites have only three colours, but they are used so well that.... Im rambling again)

Personally I hate it when they try and steroid up an older game, as they have done with remakes of other games in the past....

ok, let the debate begin as to what makes this fake.
Designer of "Trampalien Gunmen" on Dreamcast
Nitroid
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
PSN: Nitroid
Xbox Live: Security Yams

Post by Nitroid »

Poor menu design (using the easilly obtainable SF SQUARE font) is the first big hint.
Szczepaniak
Runner

Post by Szczepaniak »

Heres an even better fake:
http://www.mwduncan.com/pics/nintendo_ds/fake2.jpg

This guy admits to it though
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

Thats so stupid, Kojima himself said he didnt want to remake the original Metal Gear games on a new format, and 2.5D, would that be like 3D on one screen and 2D on the other...confusion!
shoryuken_justice

Post by shoryuken_justice »

randomwab wrote:Thats so stupid, Kojima himself said he didnt want to remake the original Metal Gear games on a new format, and 2.5D, would that be like 3D on one screen and 2D on the other...confusion!
When Shigeru Miyamoto was trying to describe Yoshi's Story, he used the term 2 1/2 D, because it played like a 2d side scroller with no third dimension of movement, but most of the graphics are 3d, erego 2 1/2 (or 2.5) D.

I personally think it would be nice if there was a shiny new version of the first 2 Metal Gears. I might be one of the only people on the planet who liked TTS as a whole more than the original MGS, if only because the graphics were so damn good while retaining the same excellent story.

If they put Retro in charge of it (so Kojima could be focused on MG3/MGS4), and if they stay almost word-for-word with the script and can retain the voice actors, then I'm all for a Mr. Muscly Arms version of it for the Cube, PS2 or even PS3.

That said, I'm not too sure I'd want it on the DS. I do agree with randomwab that 2.5D wouldn't be all that good (even though we're referring to different styles of play), especially if Yoshi's Story is any indication. I also don't think the DS will be around that long. It's one of those high-concept ideas like the Virtual Boy and the Superscope that is mighty cool, but no one is gonna want to develop games for it.
Alright stop.

Hammer Time!
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

2.5D was also used to describe games that take place in 3D but have mostly sprites populating the world, such as the early FPS games (Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D). I don't think that's relevant here, but I thought it at least bears mentioning.

I'm not so much against the idea of overhauling an old game, unless it's (as it is here) a game that was never released in the USA, at which point I usually request that the original be unlockable or available somehow. The GBA Mario Kart game was great, but was even better when all the tracks from the SNES version became unlockable, and that was what really sold me on that game. I think the same applies here.

Even if they did actually update MG2 to the DS, it's not like it'd be too hard to write an MSX emulator. I mean, they'd already have done all the translation to English, and there's no longer the memory restrictions that come up when Japanese text gets english-ified.

I'd love to see something like that :)
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Nintendo sucks ass boys, they will never lisence any good games under their systems, they stoped doing that after 1996 :D
Szczepaniak
Runner

Post by Szczepaniak »

shoryuken_justice wrote:I also don't think the DS will be around that long. It's one of those high-concept ideas like the Virtual Boy and the Superscope that is mighty cool, but no one is gonna want to develop games for it.
:shock:
erm.... I want to develop for it. I think its the best hardware innovation since sliced bread, the stylus implementation is genius. (though wouldnt work for MG necessarily)

Plus the dual screens would be great for many innovative ideas. Loads of companies have already signed up for it. Though in truth, only the Japanese companies seem to be doing anything interesting with it, a bit like the GBA. Western companies rarely ever do anything as innovative as say the WarioWare games, they just ike churning out Spiderman games and other generic licenses. :cry:

As for ports of this game to the DS, I feel it would be a major waste.

I would much rather have a Sonic Jam style disc compilation for the PS2. Containing all eight+ of the older 2D metal gear games, plus booklet scans, audio jukebox, art gallery, plus insightful articles on the series and other stuff. SJ was one of the best things to come out of Sega during that era. :)
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

This topic has turnedx into a debate in the DS but meah, i dont c the point in duel screen as it can only be put into good use with some games, and i feel as though they shud have called it the N64.5 or Mini64 as to me it is just the N64 all over again, most of the better games from the N64 are getting released in it, not really a bad thing but none the less, and the overall feel of the DS from playing it, i think it feels to bricky, and will be beatin by the PSP if it hasnt already
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Snake Plissken wrote:Nintendo sucks ass boys, they will never lisence any good games under their systems, they stoped doing that after 1996 :D
Whoa, that's harsh. I like Nintendo. Admittedly they haven't been lately what they used to be, but I still love their first party titles. And as long as Kojima keeps creating Boktai games for their handhelds, I'll be happy with third party support. I haven't come to expect anything good from third party developers except Konami and Capcom anyway.
Szczepaniak
Runner

Post by Szczepaniak »

back on topic:

perhaps the existence of fake screens might motivate Konami to consider porting it?
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

Well as i was saying, i somehow doubt Kojima would agree, but stranger things have happened, like a Silent Hill DS title apparantly being made that isnt a horror game, so who knows....
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

There was that GBA Silent Hill 'game' though, that wasn't really a game at all, but a book you read on the GBA.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

true, one of the original launch titles in Japan i believe, but it was never released outside of Japan, a shame in my opinoun
shoryuken_justice

Post by shoryuken_justice »

otaku84 wrote:Loads of companies have already signed up for it. Though in truth, only the Japanese companies seem to be doing anything interesting with it, a bit like the GBA. Western companies rarely ever do anything as innovative as say the WarioWare games, they just ike churning out Spiderman games and other generic licenses.
I agree, except the success on the system hinges on whether idiots buy those generic licenses. Unfortunately, the mass American gaming public has become the crowd who votes for Madden 2005 and GTA as Game of the Year, and not, say, Front Mission 4 or MGS3 or any other game that had real emotions packed into it. And unfortunately, that crowd makes or breaks a system. They want violent shoot-em-ups and easily recognizable characters and actions. That's why the N64 failed. There were so many games of brilliance that reeked of non-conformity that today's average American gamer wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Unfortunately, this crossover in America happened right around the time of MGS2, and developers have since catered only to the hot new fad instead of their loyal customers. Look at Capcom. 2000-2002 saw Street Fighter 3, Capcom vs SNK, Capcom vs SNK 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and Project Justice, among others. What 2-D fighters (or 2-D based, like PJ) have come out since then? Capcom Fighting Evolution? That's it, and that game sucked. You know why? Because no one outside of it's niche audience bought any of those games from 2000-2002.

The Japanese consumer is much more open to try new things and stick to their favorites that got them there. The typical American consumer doesn't want any part of that. They'll buy their Halo 2's, their GTAs, their Maddens and their SSX Trickys because they're simple games that appeal to them in a simple way. I'm not dissing any of those games, by the way. I love football and GTA was quite revolutionary. But the audience that EA and Bungee and RockStar are trying to sell games to isn't the same audience who buys MGS, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, or Monkey Island, because the guys who want punk music while they snowboard or don't touch single player mode because it's boring heavily outnumber us genre-junkies. And these publishers and developers will only throw us a bone every few years. I can buy 4 basketball games every year and countless identical FPSs, but I had to wait three years for MGS3. I've been waiting 3 years and counting for a Lucasarts-style adventure game, and I still haven't played a good new fighter other than KOF 03, and that's not even in America yet.

The worst is when it infects the games we love. Prince of Persia Sands of Time was goddamn awesome, but it didn't sell a lot. So they add chicks with giant chests and comparitively less clothing and give it a I-hate-authority-Life's-unfair-I'm-kinda-emo-but-I-wish-I-was-goth feel to it. As Penny-Arcade said, the game we know and love is somewhere deep inside there, it just takes a long time for it to come out.

As for MG on PSP, the second screen might be good for a Codec or radar, perhaps...
Alright stop.

Hammer Time!
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

I bought The Sands Of Time on sunday at a very cheap price and wasnt expecting anything to it, but ur right, it is awsome and left me wondering why games like halo and the 100th fifa game get more press. I think it is majorly to do with the press telling us wat to buy and wat is gd and not gd, overshadowing great games
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I deeply agree with a lot of your points shoryuken_justice... that's what has happenesd to the "industry" since it went "mainstream" and that was the target audience of the XBox, I am not dissing that either, but that is the market target....
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

shoryuken_justice wrote: But the audience that EA and Bungee and RockStar are trying to sell games to isn't the same audience who buys MGS, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, or Monkey Island, because the guys who want punk music while they snowboard or don't touch single player mode because it's boring heavily outnumber us genre-junkies.
Ouch, watch the punk-rock snowboarding crowd there. As a punk-rocker myself, I can't say that it's lost on all of us :wink:

But, seriously, as far as the mass-market argument is concerned, it is a topic that has been brought up many times over and it is valid. While we often harp on the differences between videogames and other forms of mass entertainment (movies and music, specifically), this is an issue that we face in those markets as well, so it would be best to look at them to see what can be done.

Remember, the videogame industry is less than half as old as the movie industry. The movie industry has had (and continues to have) mainstream products that are designed solely for mass consumption. They also have had movies that were considered "artistic," "niche," etc. While they are right, they are "niche" movies, these movies have a MARKET. It's a different market, but it's become a proven way to get your stuff out there. There are also specific theaters that show "indie" or "arthouse" films and major distributors that have arms just for these types of films.

Videogames haven't gotten there yet (probably because of the inability of the mass-media (and even, in my opinion, the game industry itself) as art, but that's another rant), but they will. As long as there is a market for games that are not mainstream, someone will make them. Eventually, the fans of those types of games will start their own community and build up their own networks (insertcredit.com and a host of other similar sites) which will spawn into stores that cater to this type (just like what's happened in the music and movie industries). It just takes time.

Oh, and by the way, I can hardly fault anyone for calling GTA the game of the year. While I love me some Metal Gear Solid and MGS3 is by far my favorite game this year, GTA is pretty unbelieveable, too. Besides, GTA is a good example of smaller gamemaker with some different ideas from the norm becoming the mainstream (Anyone else remember playing a downloaded copy of the original GTA and thinking, "this game is crazy and fun, no way the mainstream would get behind something like this"?)
Szczepaniak
Runner

Post by Szczepaniak »

shoryuken_justice wrote: I agree...... (edited)
Your entire post was so beautiful, I nearly wept. :cry:
It perfectly sums up my feelings, there are not enough innovative games coming out, look at Katamari Damashi, many stores didn't even put it on their shelves.

And great games like Snatcher and Policenauts aren't made anymore, at least I havent heard of any. I loved the digital comic genre, especially dark ones like these. Even another favourite of mine, Broken Sword, lost its point and click style and turned into a 3D adventure game.

Do you think designers like Kojima still yearn to be able to make these older styles of games that the market apparently doesnt want anymore?

I read a bizarre interview by Kojima in a Famicom collectors book where he said he wanted to leave the past behind, that he wasn't interested in it, and also that he somedays wants to work with smell in his games...... :?
It was the Famicom anniversary book with all the games listed, they interviewed him since his MSX department was a Famicom rival back in the day. He sounded as avante guarde and beatnick as ever. :wink:
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

Well, Kojima is inventive, where do you think the idea for Boktai came from, Broken Sword on the other hand, 1 and 2 are great games, and through playing the 3rd, it didnt really feel like i was playing a Broken Sword game at all, but none the less i still enjoyed it, though when you go through an entire game as a mystery/puzzle/adventure, and at the end find yourself

SPOILER AHEAD

dodging a dragon and then stabbing it in the heart with a sword,

it really felt weird, one game i think was successful in the change from 2D to 3D was Escape From Monkey Island, this was an excellent game, and I really felt like i was playing a Monkey Island game. But sadly we are seeing an edited view of genre's (I think I worded that right), for example, Sam And Max, one of the greatest LucasArts Point N Click, was lined up for a 3D sequal, as with Full Throttle, but mid way in development, laucasarts had cold feet and cancelled both games. Dare i say we r seeing the last of great point n click and adventure games, and as was said before, Prince Of Persia, The Sands Of Time is one of the best adventure games i have played in along time, though it did not sell.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I also questioned myself something similar otaku84. But I did get to ask one question when I was at Konami, the one I really though most about. (I must say that I was told that we would not se Kojima, so I ended up not taking my questions in hand to Konami.. but I did recall a few. It was for a TV program, and they were only 10 minutes, but at the end my friend did let me ask one question).

I simply asked:

"Do you believe games will tend to be online in the same way 3d took over 2d?"

(as you can notice, there are several intentions behind the question... if the 2d 3d change was maked as imperative, if online is goi g to be that way and what is his stance in both)

He simple took the magazine with the Boktai review I wrote and said, pointing at it (through Scott Dolph's translation):

"Take Boktai for example, we can continue to do this kind of game, and I will do so in the future".

I take he answered all my points =)

--------------------------

I too felt that the fourth monkey Island game was indeed a Monkery Island game, but not on par to the first three.. even if the third was not the creator's idea of the game. I love that series... =) but still, it shed its wonderful 2d art for polygons...

Indeed there are few game srgar feel innovative, but this year I got my gands on Katamary Damashi while at Japan (and ran for the american version too Btw), and a montrh ago i played feel the magic (that is besides Snake Eater and Boktai 2 of course).

Those are enough to make me happy. while there is at least one quality game out there, I am going to be happy I believe.

I also think that there might begin to appear independent game companies, small ones, with old genre and new unexplored ideas with the actual technological potential... it is just a matter of time.

The medium as form of expression is just beginning I think.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]