Getting the Justifier

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
Painaxl
Runner

Getting the Justifier

Post by Painaxl »

Well, I was standing in my local Record Exchange the other day when a guy and his young daughter brought in a VERY clean looking Sega CD with what I think is the first-gen Genesis console with games to trade in. After finding out how little they were going to give him, he decided to sell it to me for $23. I think I got a pretty decent deal.

No good games to speak of (Ecco the Dolphin for SegaCD and Sonic 2 for Genesis are the only ones I even remember), but now I can play Snatcher on the big screen!

Now, since I'm not playing it on an emulator, though, I'd like to find a light gun. Will any lightgun for the Genesis work, or does it have to be the Justifier? Were there a lot of different light gun games for the Genesis (I don't remember many)? Any info on this will help.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

As far as I know, it has be the Justifier.

I have not used any other gun, there aren't that much of them I can remember besides the official bazooka-like sega one (The Menacer) and the Justifier.

I must certainly say that this feature does change the experience a bit, makes it more difficult.. at least for me, but it is worth it.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

A word of warning: Make sure you grab the blue "Player 1" Justifier. The pink "Player 2" models won't work with Snatcher. I doubt there were that many though, as they were only a mail-order offer to my knowledge. Be careful anyway.
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

Johnny Undaunted wrote:A word of warning: Make sure you grab the blue "Player 1" Justifier. The pink "Player 2" models won't work with Snatcher. I doubt there were that many though, as they were only a mail-order offer to my knowledge. Be careful anyway.
Yeah, iirc the blue justifier had a phone-jack on the bottom of it for plugging in the pink one for two player action on the Lethal Enforcers games (on a related note, I heard one of the recent european arcade trade shows announced LE3)

DT
Spartikcus

Post by Spartikcus »

It is very hard to even come across a Pink second player light gun now a days,
but the blue ones are quite common on ebay, you can most of the time snag up on a copy
of Lethal Enforcers with it.
By the way what model Sega CD did you get?
The stack on top one or the side by side one?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

DarkTetsuya wrote:on a related note, I heard one of the recent european arcade trade shows announced LE3
It's not really LE3 though, it's an unrelated game titled Hero of Justice renamed (one of the stages in the game was titled "Lethal Enforcers III" though).
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

I take it, Painaxl, that you already know that the Sega CD machines can play burned CDs without modification, since you're playing Snatcher, and that game is friggin' hard to find these days.

As for the light gun, the people here have it all right:
- you do need the justifier, although I have heard of third party guns working but have never confirmed this
- you can easily find Lethal Enforcers with the gun. The guns for the Genesis version and the Sega CD version are the exact same hardware and will work for all Konami Sega CD and Genesis gun games, including Snatcher.
- you have to have the blue player 1 gun that comes packaged with the game, as the player 2 gun (the pink one) plugs into the blue gun with an RJ-11 (telephone) jack.

I'd like to add that Snatcher absolutely rules with the gun, and its lightgun support is actually one of the primary reasons I suggest it to my friends. Snatcher is the only game that has ever made me dive out of my chair to grab my gun. I recommend this experience to everyone :)
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

Thanks for the help. I'll go pick up the Justifier somewhere.

As for the question, it's the side by side one. This thing is CLEAN. Seriously, the controllers are in great shape, too. It's pretty nice.

One thing, though: I've got the l/r stereo going from the SegaCD to my receiver, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting enough sound. All the speech is working and stuff, but I seem to remember there being more music when I played it on the GENS emulator. Also, I had my system all the way up and I couldn't hear Little John's beeping like I could on my computer (and my receiver's 300 watts). Any ideas?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Is the analog audio cable plugged into the genesis jack and into the sega CD in port?

Is it a model 1 or 2 sega CD?
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Spartikcus

Post by Spartikcus »

Its model 2 Artemio.
And painaxl you probably forgot to plug in a headphone jack type cable from the back of the sega cd to the front of the Genesis. Without it you will only hear the Sega CD audio, for instance Little Johns bleeping noise uses the Genesis synthesizer to make the sound.
Im guessing you have a model 1 genesis (rectangle) if you have a model 2 (square) there is a special cable converter that I think you are going to have to buy for it to hook up to the sega cd.
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

Spartikcus wrote:Its model 2 Artemio.
And painaxl you probably forgot to plug in a headphone jack type cable from the back of the sega cd to the front of the Genesis. Without it you will only hear the Sega CD audio, for instance Little Johns bleeping noise uses the Genesis synthesizer to make the sound.
Im guessing you have a model 1 genesis (rectangle) if you have a model 2 (square) there is a special cable converter that I think you are going to have to buy for it to hook up to the sega cd.

Ah-ha!! Didn't know that. Yeah, I've got a model 1 Genesis. I've got the cable, I just didn't know what it did.

Alright, that should help.
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

Johnny Undaunted: Oh. I wasn't aware of that... I just remember reading it on the Konami Europe ATEI site, thats all.

Painaxl: I hope you didn't blow your speakers out during that explosion scene.... :P (thats one of the things I've always respected about Kojima, he takes the medium to the next level, asking the player to take advantage of things not directly in the game (the TV volume, the 'forearm massage' from MGS1, etc.))

DT