Sega CD save issues?

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
Painaxl
Runner

Sega CD save issues?

Post by Painaxl »

I pulled out the SegaCD to continue my game in Snatcher yesterday, when a notice came on the screen that I had to "initialize" or I couldn't play the game. I finally figured this out to mean I had to reformat the memory which didn't show my save, only "please format." I wasn't very far, but still, it was frustrating to have to go through the introductory parts again.

Does this happen to anyone else? Since I never used these during the heyday I don't know if this is a common problem or not. If it is, are there any solutions or workarounds?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

It has never happened to me.. but I guess it should happen when the internal battery is discharged..... Which should be some time without using the console. I did backup my saves on a cart though... (long story)
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Something simialer to this happened to my GF a while back when she was loading up a game from 95 of flaskback on the SCD. She called me, and I had to walk her though troubleshootin until we found what Art did above. Internal Battery discharge. Too bad we both didnt back our shit up haahaha, Artemio = wise. hahaahaha
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

How often does the battery discharge, do you think? I mean, it was only a couple weeks between saving and trying to load for me.
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

Painaxl wrote:How often does the battery discharge, do you think? I mean, it was only a couple weeks between saving and trying to load for me.
If your saves have been working since then, it is very likely that the contact between the battery and the system was lost momentarily. It only takes a second for that stuff to be wiped. I eventually went and scoured the used stores until I found a Sega CD ram cart. That has been worth it.

Good luck with your system!