My chat with Gillian Seed

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

My chat with Gillian Seed

Post by 8bitsonic »

I recently managed to get ahold of the instant messenger screen name of Jeff Lupetin, the [S/M]ega CD voice of Gillian Seed. Just like I had done with Bill Mumy, I IMed him when he came online. Here are some excerpts from our conversation:

Jeff: So where did you see this Snatcher game?
Me: well, i downloaded it off the internet...i would have bought it but it goes for about $70 nowadays. it has a pretty big fanbase now
Jeff: interesting..yeah was a fun recording session. We did a version in English and one in Japanese..english speaking though
Me: japanese? you mean you spoke Japanese?
Jeff: No just one that was a little sexier, racier for Japan.
Me: i don't understand....you made two versions of the Sega CD snatcher?
Jeff: yeah...one for here, one for there..
Me: but the Sega CD Japanese version was never released....are you talking about the PC-Engine Japanese version that was racier, that the Americans had nothing to do with?
Jeff: probably...
Me: oh...well, it's hard to keep track of the versions...there were 6 in total
Jeff: Yeah, I just did it and really forgot about it. Now all of a sudden people are picking up on it
Me: because it's an excellent, overlooked game that had an unusually good voiceover cast for its time
Jeff: yeah...we have some good people here...
Me: it was done in Chicago, right?
Jeff: yes it was...right here...at LRS recording in Printers Row..
Me: wow...could you send me an autographed copy of the game?
Jeff: I would if I had one to send. What do you have...? Send me the box and I'll autograph it...
Me: the only copy I have is the CD-R i burned from my downloaded copy....it's not worth autographing....

That's basically the only stuff worth noting. I think this conversation uncovered an interesting point...perhaps there was at one time a Japanese Mega CD edition planned to be released in English and the cast therefore recorded two sets of dialogue...one for USA/EU and one for Japan...perhaps the Konami code has something to do with this...hmmmm....
Gin-Ryu

Post by Gin-Ryu »

what do you mean by "racier"?
I know the old MSX version had a little more sexual content if that's what you're talking about
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

Yeah, the sexual content that's exclusive to the Japanese versions, etc...
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

How did you get his name? ohhhh i wanna chat with him... :sad:
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

For the sake of his privacy, I'm not going to post it here. It's not terribly hard to firgure out, though. Start at the logical point, and figure it out from there. I'm not saying to guess his SN, I'm saying to go somewhere on the internet that has something to do with him first...
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

Even though i would like to talk to "Mr. Seed", i realy dont want to seem like an asshole and piss off the last junker. :grin:
Crowley
Runner

Post by Crowley »

There were 26 speaking characters in the game and only seven voice actors. I would like to know if Mr. Lupetin remembers all the characters he did voices for. Or if that information can be found anywhere online please point me in the right direction.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

You might visit the Kremlin, there is an option on the left hand menu that says credits.

http://www.jjau.8m.com/kremlin/
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Jeff only did two voices: Gillian and the snatcher at the very end of act 2. The guys who did a lot of characters were Jim Parks and Ray Van Steen (love that name!)
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

That's interesting about the other version he mentioned. That most certainly would have been for a Japanese version on the Mega CD that was never released. I wonder what they said on the "racier" version! Can you ask him if he remembers?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Re: My chat with Gillian Seed

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

8bitsonic wrote:Me: but the Sega CD Japanese version was never released....are you talking about the PC-Engine Japanese version that was racier, that the Americans had nothing to do with?
The PC-Engine Snatcher was produced WAY before the Sega-CD version (not to mention they used Japanese actors). I doubt it had anything to do with that.

I'm guessing they were probably planning some sort of Integral-like version of Snatcher in Japan with the English voices. The Sega CD version did had quite a few extras in it not in the previous versions (which were haphazardly integrated into the PS/Saturn versions).
Mr. Seed
Runner
Kojima games owned: Most

Post by Mr. Seed »

[quote] Even though i would like to talk to "Mr. Seed", i realy dont want to seem like an asshole and piss off the last junker. -Modnar

You called? :cool:
"Hey, I only do liquid sky...dude!"
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

hmmmmm, i should have noticed that... see in the end i come out as a 8====> :grin:
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Big news...Jeff offered to send me some "stuff"...I gave him my address two weeks ago and the package arrived yesterday...it was a bunch of his CDs, a fridge magnet (!), and a postcard. Since I'm too lazy to scan the stuff in, I'll tell you what he sent:

CD: "13 Houses from Sing-Sing" A comedy album he put out in 2002. The title is a reference to the fact that Jeff's house as a kid was 13 buildings down from Sing-Sing Prison in Ossining, NY. It's not stand-up, it's basically Jeff showing off his vocal talents. It's not very funny...out of the 9 tracks on there, only 2 actually made me laugh. It also doesn't seem a comedy album as much as it is a promo CD for Jeff's comedy ablilties...his agent's number and his cell phone number are stamped right onto the CD itself.

CD: "The Twilight Zone: Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?" This is a CD of a Twilight Zone radio drama he appeared on. Since I'm not a TZ fan, I didn't even listen to it, but I'm sure it's good.

CD: "Take 2" I have no idea why he sent this...he must think I'm some kind of big shot radio producer- it's basically his portfolio. It's 10 minutes of radio ads he did. It surprised me on some of the radio spots he's voiced- do you know he was the voice of the McDonald's "I Am Hungry" monster?

The fridge magnet isn't very high quality..it's a FlexiMagnet that got bent in the mail. It has some sort of silly drawing of Jeff (?) on there, his website URL, and his agent's number.

The postcard has the same goofy graphic on it as the magnet, announcing that Jeff has a new website at www.loopytalk.com . On the back, he wrote two messages, one in black ballpoint pen: "Here is a mix of different audio. Tell me what you like, don't like, etc. -JL" and one in beige Sharpie: "Joey- check out the site...Have a GAME demo on there! -J" It's not a "playable " game demo per se...it's a demo of him imitating typical in-game audio/narration. I was hoping for a clip from Snatcher. And there's also his cell number and-you guessed it-his agent's number.

Well, that's all the stuff he sent me. Gotta jet.
Last edited by 8bitsonic on Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Congrats man ^^

To me it sounds like he sent you his "standard" package... Since yuou were interested, either as a fan or as a producer, it'd make sense to send it.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Yes...it does seem that way. He sent me an example of his comedy, his drama, and his commercial work. Although he does sell the "13 Houses from Sing-Sing" CD on his site, and I got it for free..and the other CDs aren't available for sale as far as I'm concerned...ah, whatever. It's decent listening material to fill an afternoon.