Can I make back up copies of snatcher???

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
williamgibson

Can I make back up copies of snatcher???

Post by williamgibson »

I have an original copy of snatcher, and an original sega cd, can I make back up copies so as to protect my cds from damage? I tried this once with Lunar, and the game started then froze up.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Technicaly you can do it, although it is a gray area if you can do so legally. (You can as long as it is for personal use).

For technical info, take a look at http://segaxtreme.com/
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
williamgibson

site link

Post by williamgibson »

That site link did not work for me
Snatcher2047
Runner
Favorite Game: SNATCHER
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Snatcher : Pilot Disk
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Wii Friend Code: 0087516012043877
Xbox Live: Snatcher2047

Post by Snatcher2047 »

I've made a complete copy of quite a few of my SEGA CD games just using a CD-Burning program (like Nero or whatever you use) and they work fine for me in both the GENS emulator and the actual SEGA CD system.
The Kremlin : A Snatcher Fan Site, est. 2000
JustinAaron.com
williamgibson

yo

Post by williamgibson »

yeah when I copied my Lunar it started up then froze.

Is that common, is there a trick to change it?
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Yeah, you can go ahead and copy it for a backup. In the old days, when games came on easily copied floppy disks, the game makers would encourage you to make backups of the original disks and play from those, since floppies are very unreliable. I'm sure the same goes for CD and DVD-ROMs today- copy your CD game, but give it to no one.

About the Lunar copy freezing, it sounds odd. Sega CD discs are extremely easy to copy- they contain absolutely no encryption and are laid out very simply- an ISO 9660 track for the data, and if there is additional audio to be stored, it is stored as regular CD audio on tracks 2 on. I'm guessing the Lunar game has some sort of weird track layout, similar to PC-Engine Super CD2 discs which contain no encryption but require a very specific track layout to run. I managed to make a backup of my Snatcher CD-ROMantic successfully, but only after trying what seemed like close to a dozen CD burning programs. Try a bunch of CD-copying apps to get the burn right, and be prepared to end up with a lot of coasters.
williamgibson

software

Post by williamgibson »

What software did u use which finally worked?

I used NERO.

I bet you are right on the track layout.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Yeah, the program that successfully cloned the disc was probably a copy of Nero that came with my DVD+R burner. It's the burning program you turn to when all hope seems lost. I'm a Mac user, and they don't make Nero for Mac, so that's saying something.
Zhofe

Post by Zhofe »

When starting Lunar with Gens one must make sure that the "memory" is formatted. So before Lunar starts up, press A to go to the bios menu, select options, select RAM and press A, then select YES, then press B to get back to the main bios menu, select CD-ROM, and press A.