Favorite Movies

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Osiris wrote:Finally! I've been following the new cut's progress for years and years. This is great news, thanks for that.
And yet now that you know there's a new cut in the works for release next year, the next few months will be the most unbearable of all. I had already heard that Warner was putting out a new DVD for the anniversary in 2007, but now that I know even more about the specifics of what will be included, it's getting harder and harder to wait patiently for the release.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

ratperson665 wrote:Yes, but it's still a nice touch. I almost cried when I heard Deckard's final line: "I didn't know how long we’d have together. But then again who does?"
I understand how you feel.

Unfortunately it is not a fitting ending for the type of film and era it represents. Cyberpunk works are not supposed to be uplifting... that ending was placed theer because the test audience din't understand the movie and felt precisely, that the ending was not uplifting. Since E.T was released around that time, and both were catalogued somewhat together, the studio changed it.

I'd recommend reading the screenplays, all of them. To find out how they evolved. Also, read the book first if possible.

After all that information and Snatcher in your mind I bet you'll see them all as one big plot with huge variations.
Missing wrote:And yet now that you know there's a new cut in the works for release next year, the next few months will be the most unbearable of all. I had already heard that Warner was putting out a new DVD for the anniversary in 2007, but now that I know even more about the specifics of what will be included, it's getting harder and harder to wait patiently for the release.
Your mouth is full of truth.... It is best to completely forget about it. I call it "Waiting stasis".
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Squallidus

Post by Squallidus »

ratperson665 wrote:Just for the record, I hated the Director's Cut version of BR. I loved the original though.

You, sir, are a fool! The 'original' was a prostituted version of the true original, director's intended, version. The 'warm' ending was bolted on and made zero sense when you know about who Deckard really was (and we know, the director admitted it).
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

Squallidus wrote:
ratperson665 wrote:Just for the record, I hated the Director's Cut version of BR. I loved the original though.

You, sir, are a fool! The 'original' was a prostituted version of the true original, director's intended, version. The 'warm' ending was bolted on and made zero sense when you know about who Deckard really was (and we know, the director admitted it).
But he was written as human, Ford played him as human, he was human in the book and Ridley Scott is an idiot. Not to mention the original had no unicorn dream. So in that version he was human.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

ratperson665 wrote:
Squallidus wrote:

But he was written as human, Ford played him as human, he was human in the book and Ridley Scott is an idiot. Not to mention the original had no unicorn dream. So in that version he was human.
The movie isn't exactly the same as the book. The part was written with ambiguity in mind and they both knew that. Ford played him like he was written in the script, but he was "assured" that he was a human. Scott had already decided that he was a replicant, hence why he wrote the story with the ambigious "maybe/maybe not" scenario, to let the audience make up thier own mind (like you have).
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Snatcher wrote:
ratperson665 wrote:Yes, but it's still a nice touch. I almost cried when I heard Deckard's final line: "I didn't know how long we’d have together. But then again who does?"
I understand how you feel.

Unfortunately it is not a fitting ending for the type of film and era it represents. Cyberpunk works are not supposed to be uplifting... that ending was placed theer because the test audience din't understand the movie and felt precisely, that the ending was not uplifting. Since E.T was released around that time, and both were catalogued somewhat together, the studio changed it.

I'd recommend reading the screenplays, all of them. To find out how they evolved. Also, read the book first if possible.

After all that information and Snatcher in your mind I bet you'll see them all as one big plot with huge variations.
I thought Snatcher's ending was very uplifting.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Try playing the original ^^
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Snatcher wrote:Try playing the original ^^
I have. But keep in mind that the original game's ending isn't what Kojima had in mind. The only reason it ends in act 2 is because of time constraints.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

I know that, but with the short time that was what he came with. And also, nobody knew that at the time, that doesn't change the fact. Besides, the ending of the CD-ROMantic version wasn't what he planned either.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

What did he plan?
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Missing wrote:What did he plan?
Snatcher Zoom Tracks Liner notes wrote:Inoue "We recorded the voices in the quite early time, haven't we?"
Ota "Yes, the characters were not much developed at that time."
Kojima "That troubled us later......"
Inoue "We could not re-record even after locating a contradiction or error in the scenario, we had hard time because of that."
Kojima "......I repent that I fixed them by making giant leaps."
There are some more hints about this... like the sketches with random in the ending, etc.

I am waiting till Ihave a deeper Japanese knowledge to investigate this further...
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

So do you think Kojima might ever revisit Snatcher (again) and change it to be more the way he intended?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Last year after TGS, a magazine asked him if he was possibly going back to Snatcher (after seeing the mk. II in MGS4), and he replied, "Oh, please! I have far too many original projects to work on!"
Vicious

Post by Vicious »

Missing wrote:Influential? Influential of what? You make your own movies?
Sorry for the lack of response, yes to make my own movies :P
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

You know Ridley Scot is a crapy director anyway. BR isn't the only great film he ruined. Don't believe me? Check out the director’s cuts of "kingdom of heaven" and "Alien".
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

You'll always have the original versions, won't you?
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Osiris wrote:You'll always have the original versions, won't you?

Yes I will Marc. Yes I will. :smile:
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

ratperson665 wrote:You know Ridley Scot is a crapy director anyway. BR isn't the only great film he ruined. Don't believe me? Check out the director’s cuts of "kingdom of heaven" and "Alien".
A "crapy"(sic) director?! No, Uwe Boll is a shit director. Ridley Scott has made some phenomenal movies.
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

James_The_Stampede wrote:
ratperson665 wrote:You know Ridley Scot is a crapy director anyway. BR isn't the only great film he ruined. Don't believe me? Check out the director’s cuts of "kingdom of heaven" and "Alien".
A "crapy"(sic) director?! No, Uwe Boll is a shit director. Ridley Scott has made some phenomenal movies.
Then how do you explain his awful DCs? Blade Runner, Kingdom Of Heaven and Alian (mentioned above) were masterpieces in there original forms but there DC editions sucked more than a bunch of gay vampires.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

IMDb wrote:Despite releasing a new version of the film titled "Alien: The Director's Cut", Ridley Scott wrote in a statement in the film's packaging that he still feels the original Alien was his perfect vision of the film. The newer version is titled "The Director's Cut" for marketing purposes, featuring deleted scenes many fans wanted to see incorporated into the film (such as the scene where Lambert and Ripley discuss whether or not they've slept with Ash, suggesting there's something not quite right about Ash).
So Alien doesn't "count".
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

You can hardly say he *ruined* Alien! It's one or two minutes shorter, and you really, really have to pay attention to work out how it differs from the theatrical cut. Mostly individual shots, from what I remember! And of course he didn't ruin Blade Runner (I could do without 'Replicants don't have scales,' personally) - I'm not sure how anyone could possibly get genuinely angry about these sorts of changes.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Ratperson isn't just anyone...
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

No, I know, he's a rat person. Like Splinter, presumably.
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Rick Deckard wrote:No, I know, he's a rat person. Like Splinter, presumably.
What do you mean by that?
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

He means that you are just trolling again. Stating unjustified chlidish opinions, trying to impose them like truth and also trying to get people to insult you on purpose again. This calls for the first temporal ban. 4 days of ban.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]